News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

RBC Davilla 11/10

Started by zonkertx, November 21, 2010, 03:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zonkertx

Didn't see a thread yet, so I'll start off.

This was my first RBC, and I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.  What I found was simply amazing!  Many familiar faces, and some I was meeting for the first time.  All were wonderful, and managed to tolerate my offbeat sense of humor and overly-strong coffee.  We had a small-but-great group of shooters present, sticking it out through cold and wind to polish their skills.  There was a lot more time than the normal weekend event, so we were able to cover a lot more topics at a much greater depth.  Thanks to Scout, we had excellent KD facilities, and lots of ever-shifting wind to exercise the knowledge gained in the classroom phase.  The final day was devoted to "learning how to teach".  I especially wish to thank ashrn03 (hope I spelled that right) for setting the bar very high, demanding simplicity and precision from all.  His performance on the KD range is evidence that he applies this standard to himself, first!

Congrats to the new Riflemen and Orange Hats, as well as those advancing along the Instructor path.  To list all to whom kudos are due would be to list all who were present.  I'm also unclear as to the forum names for some.  Seems like some use real names and others are known by forum names.

I got more photos than the usual weekend event, so I just put them up here:

http://www.ebfulton.com/appleseed/DAV_RBC_11-10/

Click on the thumbnails to enlarge, and even bigger versions are available here:

http://www.ebfulton.com/appleseed/DAV_RBC_11-10/fullsize/

Had to cut out before the weekend event that followed due to a mailserver issue, but I got it fixed.  (for the tech-savvy, my server's IP block was on an RBL by mistake)

DAVILLA!...  11/10!

voortrekker

Behold, the Davilla, TX RBC Class of 11-10.........Davilla 11-10!

Junior Birdman giving the 1st Strike

Shooting at the KD range

Michael, first time at a RWVA event, earns his Rifleman's patch..........zonkertx's and smcpeek's one on one Instruction worked.......thanks Gents!

Here's ashrn03 and Hunter checking targets on the KD range.  "Hunter, the first thing you wanna do is find out, how big is my group, and where is my group?"   Right?    ;)

One of Texas's top Instructors, ashrn03, getting some KD time in as well.

AuntieBellum, from Indiana, and ashrn03 earn KD Rifleman scores!

zonkertx on the KD range with his trusty FAL.  He was nailing the steel with his FAL about 15 minutes later at 500 yards.   O0

smcpeek and Michael diagnosing his KD target.   All together now, how big is my group, and where is my group?  O0

smcpeek here gettin' some KD range time with his trusty M1 Garand.

This was a really good RBC, attendance was a bit smaller than last year, BUT everyone progressed fast enough that we were able to get some extra KD range time in and that is very good.

THANK YOU Instructors :  ashrn03, POP, Junior Birdman, draggit, zonkertx, smcpeek, Scout.

Four new Riflemen were forged on the anvil of the AQT, the rest of the folks shooting had already shot expert and did so again at this event as well.

Texas garnered four new Orange Hats, zonkertx moved up to IIT4 and smcpeek earned his Senior Instructor status, the first for the great state of Louisiana.

Tremendous job ALL.

Anybody else got pics?.........post'em if ya gottem.   ^-^

Brett out.

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

doubleLL

WOW- What a great group of shooters and instructors!!!  :)  Glad to see Jerry Hall made it in from El Paso!

I see some new orange hats in the photo- Welcome!
Instructors- please don't forget to send me the information of our new orange hats.
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

AuntieBellum

Wow, what a great time!  I really enjoyed my week in Texas.   voortrekker, thanks for running a great RBC.  All of the instructors were fantastic and helpful, so thank you for all of your hard work and giving up a week to instruct all of us.  Scout's facilities really are great.  Yes, the camping is primitive, but believe me when I say that Scout has set up his place to make sure everyone is as comfortable as possible.  Since this was my first trip to Texas, it was an extra treat for me to camp on such a beautiful piece of land and enjoy a different landscape.  By far the highlight of my week was the KD portion.  The KD classroom was amazingly thorough and helpful, and it was so much fun to actually see holes in the paper when shooting at all of those distances...100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards!  I hadn't shot at more than 100 yards before, so I really enjoyed that new experience!  I hope to run into all of you along the trail again soon, and know that you're all welcome to come border raid in Indiana anytime.  POP, that includes you - we have lots of Winterseeds to choose from up here!

Rimshot finishing setting up after our arrival:

Bacon is the universal language, bringing men together from all corners of camp:

POP clearing the line:

Simply beautiful:

KD fun (the ground was relatively flat - apparently I was canted while taking pictures  ;D):

dragit's brass was extra warm, fyi for anyone who is on the line next to him sometime soon  ;):

Examining KD targets:

KD targets up close.  Lots of pasti...errr....pasters:

Latrine and hand-washing station:

Source of warmth for the shower:

Inside of the shower.  Quite roomy:

Thank you, Texas.  We'll be back!

"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Great pics of a great bunch!
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.