News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Waterman, IL Nov 6-7

Started by EEL, November 09, 2010, 01:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EEL

A brisk Saturday morning at Waterman.  I was told by 1 shooter that en route to the shoot, his "outside temp" reading on his car registered 17 degrees.  Range temps hovered around 25 degrees.  22 shooters bundled up and made their way onto the frosty grass.  Gopher Boy signed on as a shooter but midway thru the day couldn't resist grounding his rifle to help out a student that was struggling.  Yup, that's what Instructors do.  Help make Riflemen.

Our group also participated in the Aurora Sportsmens Club's tribute to our Veterans.  The flag ceremony was complete with Honor Guard, Color Guard, and music.  A speech by Ollie North was read and gave us something to think about as we walked back to the firing line.  "How many have paid the price so we could stand on this range, rifles in hand, and freely do this?"  "What of the sacrifice of our forefathers on our behalf so we are not slaves?"  "What obligation do I have, as an American, to return this country to a proud Nation?"  

As we worked our way thru the instruction, you could see things starting to click with the shooters.  Group sizes really began to shrink when we started running the timed cadence drills.  When that time monkey is on your back, folks don't tend to fuss their shots, trust their NPOA, and put the rounds where they belong...on target!

We found 1 new Rifleman in our midst.  Ron was able to put it all together and make the grade.  Congratulations to another Illinois Rifleman!!  One of our returning shooters Riflemen, Gravy, decided it was time to make the next step and took on an Orange hat.  "Learn to shoot a rifle today, teach someone to shoot tomorrow."  We welcome Gravy to our instructor corps.  

Sunday all the shooters moved back to 100 yards and began to work over the steel.  I don't think I've seen that many smiling faces since, well....prolly the last shoot!  ;D  Seriously, knowing that you can take the fundamentals learned at 25m and transfer them to longer distances AND MAKE HITS is very rewarding!  All it takes is a solid grasp of trajectory, basic understanding of wind, and the desire to accomplish the task at hand.

At the close of the shoot, we took several shooters with centerfires back to the 200 line.  With the sun dropping fast below the horizon, most were able to hit that 4 moa target and were rewarded with clear and crisp "ping".  Again with the big smiles!!! ;D  Talk about a confidence booster!

We are done here at Waterman for this year but will start up again in Feb 2011.  We also are on tap for the "300 Shoot" on September 10-11.  It will be the 10 year anniversary of 9/11.  Please make plans and register now so you can be a part of it.

Thanks to all that braved "the cold" and came out.  Your presence is what keeps us instructors going.

EEL
Shoot Boss
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

2 clicks low

Thanks EEL.

And Patriot Gal and Gumball Head and Gopher Boy and (who am I forgeting?), all the IIT's and my fellow shooters, couldn't have done it without you. Special thanks to Castle Mountain for the "Strikes".

Never again a cook. Seems that I need one of those orange beanies next.

Ron
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Garand69

Sounds like another great Illinois Shoot EEL, Thanks!

Welcome to Team Illinois Gravy O0 O0

Welcome to the ranks of Illinois Rifleman 2 clicks low O0 Now all you have to do is make sure that "R" on Rifleman doesn't turn into an "r"  :cool2:
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Patriot Gal

CONGRATULATIONS TO "2 CLICKS LOW" for making Rifleman!!!!  I knew you had it in you!!!    O0 O0

And welcome aboard to the Illinois ranks if IIT, Gravy!!   Fred says being an Appleseed instructor will make you a better person! 

He was right, so HANG ON!!!!!!!!!!!
  ^:)^

Thanks to all our shooters who braved the chilly weather.  You were a great group to instruct.  You watched, you listened, you learned and your improved shooting showed the results!!!  Congrat to y'all!!! O0

Hope to see you again on the Appleseed Trail!
Patriot Gal    :---
(next time I'll bring my AR10T woohoo!!!)
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Johnnyappleseed

Is 25% chilly for Illinois? :o ;D
Nice shoot Illinois ^
Welcome to AS Ron and Congratulations on achieving Rifleman O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

dragonfly

Congratulations to 2 clicks low  O0 .  Thanks for stepping up Gravy, don't let the orange fade  8) .

Hey Patriot Gal, Just attending your first Appleseed makes you a better person  ;) .

Hope to see you all on the trail soon.

D-fly   Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Gumballhead

Hi Everyone!

We had a great weekend.  Excellent weather, and a great group of Americans!

I saw a lot of improvement, and some of you are very close.  Remember to dry fire practice during the winter season, and practice finding your NPOA.  We will welcome you back in the spring to Waterman!

Congratulations to 2 Clicks Low on the rifleman score!  I think an Orange top would suit you well!  Speaking of orange...at registration Saturday, I saw a familiar face.  Yes, Gravy was back again to confirm his rifleman score.  I was very happy to see he accepted an orange hat, and took the next step! (Sorry my camera lost the shot of you getting your hat  :'()  Welcome, and hope to see you on the trail soon.

We were also fortunate to be joined by Brown Bess Ed.  He gave us a great demonstration of his brown bess, and even dressed the part.  Thank you Ed!  It really helps connect the past to the present to see how much work and effort is involved with loading and firing a musket!  It's sure a lot easier to throw in a magazine these days, isn't it?  

Here are some pictures from the event.  Check out the video too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCq8UfNgOdU

See you all out there!

Shooter30-06

Congratulations to 2 clicks low on your Rifleman's badge!  Also, let me offer congratulations to Gravy on the Orange hat!  I believe now the same as when we talked at Ottawa and Watermann that you will be an outstanding instructor.

On another note - I believe I see in the photos another sharpshooter that should think about an orange hat.  Caps, how abut offering some of that shooting know-how and great attitude to the next generation?  Please think about it Mike.
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Castle Mountain

Congratulations indeed Ron for persisting and being such a great student.
We are all thrilled with your RIFLEMEAN accomplishment. Hope to see you again soon
and by the way there is one more shoot Nov 20th at Bonfield eh?

Gravy, congratulations to you too brother. Thanks for stepping up and taking the orange hat.
I agree it looks cool on you and we sure need your help. I have no doubt you are going to be
a huge asset to our Illinois program and we are eager to see you again on the Applseed trail.
So you be at Bonfield too eh?  

Many thanks to Brown Bess Ed for coming out again. It was great to see you perform.
It was most gracious of you good sir to have invited the many instructors to try out your Brown Bess.
We fondly carry the ball you gave us long ago to every shoot we go. Likewise Ed I hope both you
and your son make it to our last shoot of the year at Bonfield. By the way there is a good chance
my friend Jim Winter and the other Roger's Ranger will be coming to Bonfield as well as per my converstion
with him today and he may have some other surprises for show and tell as they are coming fully dressed
in 1775 period dress. It would be cool to see the four of you present arms and fire again as you guys
did during the Waterman 300. Come one and all for the grand and great 'finale' at Bonfield!!  Are you listening
MOUNTAIN MAN MARTY?????? & M1, OUT OF AMMO & MISSOURI BRIGADGE and every one. ..:.. ..:..
Gumball head make sure you bring your dad too and  30 06 and K eh?
Bonfield Saturday night campfire fellowship is special and we are really looking forward to it. Get some shooters
wrangle up some folks and drive to the range cowboys ~~:) ~~:) ~~:) ~~:) Last Shoot of the year. :bow:
This would be great time for those folks that came to Waterman to hit RIFLEMAN before winter.

Gumballhead, you are such a good man. Putting that video out on Brown Bess Ed shooting his musket
is a great thing for Appleseed. You da man! Thanks brother1 O0
If we get the two continental Army (New York Hamilton Regiment) and the two Rogers Rangers you must
also put that out on video. Great stuff for us for Gun Show promotions.

As Ed Sullivan would say........"It's going to be a really big sheeeeewwwww! ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. :--- ..:..

Cheers

Castle Mountain

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Gravy

It's really an honor to receive the Orange Hat!  ..:.. Tanks everyone.  But really - do you guys think we could get some hats that were made in the good 'ol USA?  That cheap China crap won't make it a year.  #) Oh well, I guess I'll just have to try for a red one to replace it!

Appleseed has really made a huge impact on my life, and I hope I can help the program grow.  I'm signed-up for the IBC in Ottawa, I'm into the first strike in the book, I'm working on Mrs. Gravy to get to the Moosejaw, and I've already got the green light to help at the monthly Waterman's (or wherever needed) this year.  Sorry Castle - Bears this weekend and pheasant hunting during Bonfield - I will have to hit the ground running in January.

I had a great day today.  After joining ASC last month (tanks EEL!), I could not resist the weather today.  Went out and shot over 500 rounds, 5.56 and .308 only, and basically did nothing but shoot AQT's all day.  :--- Beautiful!  It was soooo nice to really get a chance to practice at my own pace.  I even took the .308 down to the 200 yrd range and shot it (since it's zeroed from 25m, right Gopher? - see what good note taking will do?).  Hit a generic 100 yrd target 16 out of 20 shots, with 4 bulls-eyes.  Not bad for the first time (and with 40+mph wind gusts).  Even impressed some good ol' boy who was out there with his scoped rifle, bi-pod, and bench rest.  He couldn't believe I was hitting that paper with nothing but irons, a raggedy cotton sling, and from a piece of carpet!  He asked if I was military trained.  I just smiled and said "no - I'm an Appleseeder."  I gotta tell ya, it's really fun plugging the program!  O0

Veterans Day tomorrow.  Get those flags out!

Earl

Great post, Gravy, but I would get a different avatar ;D don't think that one hits what he's aiming for.... **)

:---        ..:..
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

2 clicks low

Quote from: Castle Mountain on November 10, 2010, 09:50:29 PM

Congratulations indeed Ron for persisting and being such a great student.
We are all thrilled with your RIFLEMEAN accomplishment. Hope to see you again soon
and by the way there is one more shoot Nov 20th at Bonfield eh?[/color]

Thanks Castle Mountain but as Bambi season opens in Michigan on the 15th I will be practicing the 7 steps  up there.

How about Waterman in Febuary? I could use one of those cool "BELOW 0" tabs
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Castle Mountain

Hey.......it's  the Bruise Brothers       8) :cool2:   ;D    ^:)^

cool dudes  eh?         8) 8)

CM
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in