News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Wooster, OH Nov 6-7 2010

Started by posterboy, November 08, 2010, 03:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

posterboy

Another Amazing Weekend for Appleseed !

First I'd like to thank Bob and the Brokenlock Longrifle Club for hosting us for the first time. I'd also like to give a big Huzzah to Tube Sniper for persisting (as a rifleman does) and getting the BLC to hold this event !   ^:)^. Have to say that the Brokenlock Longrifle Club is a wonderful facility and perfect for appleseeding.

We had an amazing group of Shooters who came with open minds and ready to drink from the appleseed firehose. 21 chilly shooters showed up on the gray Saturday morning with some snow off and on just to remind us that yes indeed we were in the month of November. The temperature didn't dent the enthusiasm at all and soon we were all out on the line doing the appleseed dance of redcoats and squares and marksmanship lessons. Soon EVERYONE was improving by leaps and bounds as they learned Steady hold factors, 6 Steps, NPOA and IMC. In fact Abidafuzz improved himself in to the ranks of Ohio Riflemen with a 212. There were many more that were Oh so close too I knew that Sunday would Fruitful.

A sunny Sunday arrived and because of a local agreement we couldn't start shooting until Noon. No Problem. We heard the Rest of the Story and about Dangerous Old Men also learned that all this 25m stuff will translate out to full distance. Had our review of everything taught on Saturday then lunch. When that clock struck noon we ready to go the rest of the way shooting ! And shoot we did lots and lots of AQT's , a Team shoot and of course squares and redcoats too !

And then came the Riflemen.....or should I say Riflewomen ! Huzzah ! Carolyn crossed the threshold after being so darn close all day saturday. I guess Carolyn had been persisting through many appleseeds to achieve this goal. This says VOLUMES about what type of rifleman she is  :bow:. We also had 13 year old Emma get a very wet and cold 210  Huzzah !  ^:)^ She too had been persisting at it not letting anything stand in the way of her goal.

With the male shooters on the line  learning that "shoot like a girl if you can" just isn't a slogan...lol...it was their turn to step it up. Step up they did. FIVE more riflemen crossed the threshold Huzzah !!,Bob ( club president narrowly missing a baptism with a 211), Josh with a wet 210 !, Chris 215, Nate 228 and last but not least 10 year old Matthew with a 217 !!!! :--- :--- :--- :--- :---

I had the pleasure of meeting both Matthew and his rifleman father Dell back in April at New Philly. Panama, one of our instructors from G'burg worked with Matthew alot at that shoot and he wrote him this thank you letter. Obviously it helped as he is now a rifleman !

Equally Awesome....... Ohio has Two New IIT's. A Hardy HUZZAH to both Carolyn (Crank shot) and Emma who believe in the mission enough to take up the orange ! Welcome .....now get to work lol

Special thanks to all the parents who cared enough to bring their kids....they truly are our Posterity.

Anyway I think I've rambled enough...it was a truly special weekend ....thank you all who came and Thanks to all of the IIT's ..hope to see you on the trail soon !

PS....found my glasses...in my car....doh  ++)

pb

posterboy

Pics !

Sunday check in.....

Tube Sniper and WY_not doing the review

Dangerous D workin' the line. Rifleman Bob in the orange and strangely shooter "Dayglo"...not in orange but all blue lol

"Emma O.A". Rifleman....hey guys..maybe hot pink nail polish is the key ?

Team HUZZAH wiping out the star !

Our New Riflemen and Two new Orange hats Crank Shot and Emma

MeanStreaker

Wow!  This warms the heart!

Due to this terrible head cold, I went immediately to bed after getting home from the Miamisburg shoot last night.  (Yes, at like 7PM. hehe.)  So I didn't get to partake in the Sunday ritual that is me calling up traveling shoot bosses like a giddy schoolgirl so I can hear all the great stories from the weekend I missed. :)  Sorry about that Posterboy!

Now I get to read here that some very great people I'm lucky to know have persevered and finally got that patch!  Congrats Carolyn, Emma, and Matthew!!!!!!!   ^:)^   ^:)^   ^:)^  I know all of you have worked very hard for that!

Congrats to everyone else on their accomplishments and for what sounds like a great event!
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Birdman

What a great shoot!  What kind of shooters would sign up for an Appleseed in NOVEMBER IN NORTHERN OHIO? I say some of best folks there is, and I was proud to be able to meet every one of them this past weekend.
PB did a great job, as usual.  :bow:  The incredible sea of orange hats meant that lots of individual instruction was provided to those with some lingering little problems with support hand rifle death grip, follow through, or should I say, lack of follow through, along with other assorted problems. Rifleman's patches were getting low. PB, make sure you start bringing a truck load to future OHIO shoots.
My thanks go to the shooters first, then to all the orange hats. You guys are awesome. I think everybody had a great time.
This was the inaugural shoot at this range, and it was perfect, with a hot lunch served up both days, what a treat. Thanks Bob, Kevin, and other members.
The young Riflemen Emma and Post Pounder were incredible.  It really shows how some of the older folks should start casting off some of those acquired bad habits and listen up, give the instruction a try, and just be persistent.  That 210 will come, and it will a piece of cake ever after.
Huzzah!   

MrHappy

Yes, in fact and in deed, an excellent event. One of my most favorite part of being in Appleseed is all the ranges I'm getting to shoot at. Brokenlock is a wonderful range. I especially like the creek meandering through the property.
Best of all was to see so many shooters working so hard. Fills me with joy.
Also, I'm soooooo glad you found your glasses, PB, and that we didn't dip into the privy looking for them.  :))
Give me Liberty or give me Death
Slaves don't dream of being free. Slaves dream of being Masters ~ August Stetten

Slarti

Meanstreaker, I hope you cold gets better soon.

J ust wanted to say thank you to Posterboy and all the Orange Hats for another great day at the range!

As I was sitting/listening to the long distance shooting explaination I heard someone say, "These guys are good."  And you know what?  They are right!  What a great thing to be able to attend an event put on by "regular joes", who are happy to teach, who aren't a bunch of snobs (or even gun snobs), who want to see everyone succeed, who are willing to help young and old, fit or not, who encourage and joke, are real about the challenges and struggles, and are passionate about history and their country.  AND get great info on the basics (and even the not-so-basics) of shooting! Wow.

Hope to see you all again in the spring with another kid (or two) in tow.

Regards
Del
-- Slarti
OHR93

posterboy

Quote from: MrHappy on November 08, 2010, 06:28:40 PM
Also, I'm soooooo glad you found your glasses, PB, and that we didn't dip into the privy looking for them.  :))

Happy

Notice the word "we" in the above quote... rank has it's privileges lol

Greatly enjoyed your Hezekiah Wyman rendition as I'm sure the rest of the shooters did as well. I can still feel and hear that big beautiful gray horse breathing in my mind !

huzzah

pb

Ishy

I was SOOO happy when I got Emma's text on Sunday saying she got RIFLEMAN and took the ORANGE HAT!!!   ^:)^  I SOOOOOOOOOO wanted to be there this weekend.....so bad.   :'(  Congratulations to EVERYONE for your amazing achievements.  Thank you, Carolyn and Emma, for joining the team.   ;)  Can't wait to see you again!
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

abizdafuzz

I was very impressed with this program, and the people who helped make it happen. This past weekend was alot of fun and will be long time memories for sure(still sore from getting into seated position lol)  O0. I would like to thank every one who came out and helped, Posterboy, Happy, Birdman, D, Kevin, WY-not and the rest.

I could not believe how much some good quality time getting proper instruction would help me out. It took some work to get me into a comfortable seated position and minor tweaks hear and there but it all paid off. I had some issues on Saturday morning with seeing my front post and targets with my M&P 15-22 but after lunch Happy had me try my old Westernfield with a simple scope and that made all the difference. I was able to shoot a 212 on my second AQT that afternoon.

Sunday, I switched back to the M&P to try and get a better score with iron sights but it was not to happen. I have learned this weekend that I either need glasses, longer sight radius, or an optic to shoot effectively on the smaller or distant targets. It was a mush nicer second day and there were a few more people that joined us as well. I know one of our members sat in on some of the history and instruction and he was very impressed and would like to give it a try some day.

I learned alot and owe thanks to all those that helped make this event come true and be a success. I will be back for sure next year to try and improve my score and to learn some more. The biggest things I learned are that patience is a virtue, and that the mind is more important than the sword...as my use of a 60+ year old tube feed 22 proves.

Huzzah,
Abiz

KAH

Brokenlock folks: Thanks for opening your facility to Appleseed - It's beautiful, and I'm looking forward to returning for future events!

Shooters:  Great to see the excitement from EVERY ONE of you.  Really terrific to see so many fathers and sons sharing the weekend together - Marksmanship, American Heritage, and even a little football during a break or two!  I was concerned that the later start on Sunday might dampen the moods of some of the young patriots, but they were truly mesmerized at the heritage (and especially the Dangerous Old Men as told by Mr. Happy, Dangerous D, and Posterboy).  Once the AQTs began on Sunday afternoon, you could feel the resolve in achieving the 210 goal and in individual improvement.  Eight Riflemen/women and two Orange Hats - a clear indicator of the level of commitment in the group.

Posterboy and Fellow IITs: It's a honor and privilege to work with such a great group of individuals.  I've worked with some of you many times before, and just met some of you at this shoot.  Regardless, it was as if we had all worked together for years.  Truly invigorating.

Here are some pics of the weekend:
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

Tube Sniper

Thanks to all that helped make our inaugural shoot a huge success!! I feel very fortunate to be part of Project A/S. The weekend exceeded my wildest expectations and am looking forward to many more A/S shoots @ Brokenlock!!

The more time I spend in the company of instructors and shooters @ A/S events the greater appreciation I have for the gift we were given by our forefathers and how necessary it is that we pass along the our traditions.  When I see parents with their youngsters in tow I know our county is going to be OK!

I'll post any comments I receive from fellow Brokenlock members

Thanks for all the posts and pics...  I believe we all had a grand time!!

Again thanks to ALL.

--TS

Dougum

Looked like there were a lot of young shooters at this event. Glad to see it. Wish I could have come to shoot with ya'll but homework got in the way again. How did that steel plate and phonebooks hold up? Probably not to well. I'm sure Matt had a lot of fun with those.

Bolt Gunner (Doug)
Love your country, but never trust its government.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

You say drake I say Brantley gilbert

You say T-Pain I say Jason Aldean

You say Kanye I say randy houser

You say Pink I say Kenny Chesney

You say Pop I scream COUNTRY

You say Justin Bieber I rip your head off