News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

What is Your Favorite Patriotic Quote?

Started by Son of Isaac, November 02, 2010, 11:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colcord

'Live Free Or Die. Death Is Not The Worst Of Evils.'
John Stark of New Hampshire, of Bennington fame

'But we who had something more at Stake than fighting for six Pence Pr Day kept our ground.'
Henry Dearborn of New Hampshire, on the victory at Saratoga

'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.'
Thomas Jefferson & Friends

'If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace,
one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we
are at all times ready for war.'
George Washington

'It should be the highest ambition of every American to extend his views beyond himself,
and to bear in mind that his conduct will not only affect himself, his country, and his
immediate posterity; but that its influence may be co-extensive with the world, and
stamp political happiness or misery on ages yet unborn.'
George Washington

'From my cold, dead hands!'
Charlton Heston
"the Enimy Brought almost their whole force against us, together with 8 Peices of Artillery. But we who had Something more at stake than six Pence P per day kept our ground til Night, Closed the scene, & then Both Parties Retire'd."
"it was a Debt that they & Every one owe their Country."
Dearborn

dond

Lethargy is the forerunner of death for the public liberty.   John Adams.

This is at the heart of Appleseed.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

The Kid

"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln

06en

"Only a vertuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
                                      -Benjamine Franklin

"It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They prominse to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
                                      -Daniel Webster

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
                                      -Thomas Jefferson

"A well-instructed people alone can be permanently a free people"
                                      -James Madison

Heimdhal

Well, since yall have used up most of my favorite quotes I'll put this in:

"There is one kind of robber whom the law does not strike at, and who steals what is most precious to men: time."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

voortrekker

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
              Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

"And Peter twirled the jangling keys in weariness and wrath.

Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:

By the worth of the body that once ye had, GIVE ANSWER - what have ye done?"

- Rudyard Kipling

"I swear on the alter of God eternal hostility to every form of Tyranny over the minds of men."
           - Thomas Jefferson

"Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat.

Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that.

Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed.

But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need."

- Rudyard Kipling

"Life faculties, production - in other words, individuality, liberty, property - this is man.  And in spite of the cunning of artful political leaders, these three gifts from God precede all human legislation, and are superior to it....

Each of us has a natural right - from God - to defend his person, his liberty, and his property.  These are the three basic requirements of life, and the preservation of any one of them is completely dependent upon the preservation of the other two.  For what are our faculties but the extension of our individuality?  And what is property but an extension of our faculties?"

-Fredric Bastiat (1801-1850) in his book "The Law".   <----get that little book and read it, make sure your college aged children read it too, indepth, converse together as a family the principles this book demonstrates, very important.

"Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth- more than ruin- more even than death....

THOUGHT is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, THOUGHT is merciless to privilige, established instituitions and comfortable habit.

THOUGHT looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid.

THOUGHT is great and swift and free, the light of the world and the chief glory of man."

- Bertrand Russell

The best for last :

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your Freedom.  I hope you will make good use of it.  If you do not, I will repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it."
                         - John Adams

Brett out.
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

Son of Isaac

Voortrekker - Love the Ayn Rand quote!  It's one of my favorites from Atlas Shrugged.

...Rand Was Right...read Atlas Shrugged.

Camljr

Thomas  Jefferson said in 1802:

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies..
If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency,
first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks,
will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

B-Line

Quote from: The Kid on November 04, 2010, 07:11:17 PM
I don't know if this is appropriate but this is my favorite quote of all time. The beauty in his writing and the power of what he was saying is remarkable.

" I pray that our heavenly father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement and leave you only the cherished memories of the loved and lost and the solemn pride that must be your to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the alter of freedom" 

TK
That was the quote, from Abraham Lincoln, to a Mother that lost Five Sons in the Civil War.
The movie, Saving Private Ryan, was based on Her Loss.

jollynator

franklinfarmer

What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?

----AFTERMATH (check his signature line)

:cool2:
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

Son of Isaac

Quote from: jollynator on November 05, 2010, 11:07:03 AM
"It is only in those societies where the people are armed can Force be multiplied by a number less than one and the Force increases in power.  Those numbers include but are not limited to .223, .308, .357, .38, and .45."-  Me.

I liked it.  Thanks for the contribution, jollynator.   O0

henschman

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished, unless they kill in large numbers to the sound of trumpets."
-- Voltaire, 1771

"Wherever the standard of freedom and Independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will her heart, her benedictions and her prayers be.  But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy.  She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all.  She is the champion and vindicator only of her own.  She will commend the general cause by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example.  She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom.  The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force... she might become the dictatress of the world. She would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit.... "
-- John Quincy Adams, July 4, 1821

"Government is at best but an expedient; but most governments are usually, and all governments are sometimes, inexpedient. The objections which have been brought against a standing army, and they are many and weighty, and deserve to prevail, may also at last be brought against a standing government."
-- Henry David Thoreau

"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

jollymeister

run like pine trees

desertrat144

Quote from: asminuteman on November 04, 2010, 08:00:54 PM
author is not remembered. (keep thinking B Franklin)
this was hammered in my brain by my parents......forward thinking I might say

"Lest thee forget history, yee are doomed to repete it"

I wonder if George borrowed from Ben, or Ben is erroneously credited? The similarities are interesting, but Ben is succinct.

"'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.' "

at "Google Answers: Who said "Those Who Forget History Are Doomed to Repeat It"?" 5 Nov. 2010 http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=495329.

See also " ...instead of what American philosopher George Santayana (1863-1952) actually said: 'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it' (from 'Life of Reason I').[/color]"
At ""Those who misquote George Santayana are condemned to paraphrase him." | NowPublic News Coverage." 5 Nov. 2010 http://www.nowpublic.com/those-who-misquote-george-santayana-are-condemned-paraphrase-him.

Tom

The question is/was rhetorical, these were men educated by a system and methods lost to history, so we can learn the lesson or repeat our mistakes again.  added 11/6 dr144
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Garand69

Burke and Churchill have a couple good ones as well..

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.
-Edmund Burke

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors.
-Edmund Burke

Hypocrisy can afford to be magnificent in its promises, for never intending to go beyond promise, it costs nothing.
-Edmund Burke

It is not what a lawyer tells me I may do; but what humanity, reason, and justice tell me I ought to do.
-Edmund Burke

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
-Winston Churchill

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
-Winston Churchill

And as much as I dislike his politics, these are two of my favorites...

On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.
-Adlai E. Stevenson

Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.
-Adlai E. Stevenson

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Cooper

Removed by author: not a quote -- wrong place to post, sorry.
See appropriate quote by Colcord below.
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Colcord

"That our governments would participate in usury and financial speculation, despite these being accepted as useful elements of Enterprise, impresses me as being a dastardly thing. The main purpose of the public servant, and the Departments thereof, is to protect and maintain the Republic and citizenry. When the servant becomes the master of the public, and the goal becomes that of seeking reward through risk or deception of a nation, marks a time where the prosecution of criminals becomes of chief importance."
Reverend Ethan Smith
"the Enimy Brought almost their whole force against us, together with 8 Peices of Artillery. But we who had Something more at stake than six Pence P per day kept our ground til Night, Closed the scene, & then Both Parties Retire'd."
"it was a Debt that they & Every one owe their Country."
Dearborn

Garand69

When the last dutiful & humble petition from Congress received no other Answer than declaring us Rebels, and out of the King's protection, I from that Moment look'd forward to a Revolution & Independence, as the only means of Salvation; and will risque the last Penny of my Fortune, & the last Drop of my Blood upon the Issue.

George Mason, October 2, 1778
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

franklinfarmer

After long deliberation, here are a dozen.  And I can't pick my favorite.

"We might have avoided 9/11 if we had a greater respect for the 2nd Amendement."

"Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy."

"The people in this country like a strong president...We should have a strong president, strong enough to resist the temptation of taking power that a president shouldn't have."

"I don't want to run the world; I don't know how to run the world; the constitution doesn't give me the authority to run the world; we ought to mind our own business!"

"Let it not be said that we did nothing."

"We're being overtaxed, overregulated, and overrun by bureaucrats, the Founders would be ashamed of us for what we're putting up with!"

"Let me see if I get this right. We need to borrow $10 billion from China, and then we give it to Musharraf, who is a military dictator, who overthrew an elected government. And then we go to war, we lose all these lives promoting democracy...in Iraq. I mean, what's going on here?"

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

'The freedom message does not divide us, the message of freedom brings us together!'

Don't Steal, the Government Hates Competition.

"I want to be president mainly for what I don't want to do: I don't want to run your life, I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to police the world."

"Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms"

It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

B-Line

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."    --  Thomas Jefferson

Josey Wales

..You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the grace of the Eternal God, will rout you out..

..Andrew Jackson on the renewal of the charter of the first bank to the second bank of the United States, to own the power of our currency instead of Congress..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Son of Isaac

Quote from: B-Line on November 10, 2010, 01:41:07 AM
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."    --  Thomas Jefferson

Yep. This is one of my favorite T.J. quotes.

dalesp

There are three reasons to own a gun: To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals and to keep the King of England out of your face.

~ Herschel Shmoikel Pinchas Yerucham Krustofski (Krusty the Clown)
"There are three reasons to own a gun: To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals and to keep the King of England out of your face."

Earl

Patrick Henry "The distinction between Virginians and New Englanders are no more, I am not a Virginian but an American."

"Is life so dear, our peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!"
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Deadeye

Quote from: dalesp on November 10, 2010, 12:29:17 PM
There are three reasons to own a gun: To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals and to keep the King of England out of your face.

O0

In that vein...
"We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like. But we can assume this. They stand for everything we don't stand for. Also they told me you guys look like dorks!"- Zapp Brannigan

Seriously:
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him."

"To take from one because it is thought that his own industry and that of his father's has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association--the guarantee to everyone of a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it. "

"I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious."

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

"It is strangely absurd to suppose that a million of human beings, collected together, are not under the same moral laws which bind each of them separately."

--All of these from Thomas Jefferson

From my all-time favorite quotable person, H.L. Mencken:

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable."

K98Al

" I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket."
- Smedley Butler 
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

Deacon

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animated contest for freedom....Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; may your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

-Samual Adams

blackswamp becky

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

Ronald Reagan

blackswamp becky

I can make a firm pledge, under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.

Barack Obama
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

Ronald Reagan