News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

What is Your Favorite Patriotic Quote?

Started by Son of Isaac, November 02, 2010, 11:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alonso1

Quote from: sashok.privetov on December 16, 2010, 09:20:52 PM
Quote from: Cincinnatus on December 16, 2010, 09:03:28 PM
"It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed."
--Lenin

Now why is it that someone immediately thinks of lenin after I post?

That was too funny  **)  Hope you have been well my friend.

"Let's Roll"
   - Todd Beamer

Todd Beamer, Sept. 11, 2001, just before he and other passengers attacked terrorists controlling United Flight 93, which crashed in a Pennsylvania field. The White House may have been the target.

OnlyHitsCount

Oh boy, but there are so many good ones!

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.  -Samuel Adams

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.  -Samuel Adams

The republic was not established by cowards, and cowards will not preserve it.  -Elmer Davis

I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.  -Nathan Hale

It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees.  -Emiliano Zapata

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?  Forbid it, Almighty God!  I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!  -Patrick Henry

Soapbox, Ballot Box, Ammo Box... Use in That Order.  -Unknown

And to remind us what we are up against...

Democracy is too prevalent in America, and claims the greatest attention to prevent its increase.  -General Gage

There is no reason for anyone in this country -- anyone except a police officer or military person -- to buy, to own, to have, to use a handgun. The only way to control handgun use in this country is to prohibit the guns.  -Bill Clinton

We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans...  -Bill Clinton

The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party.  -Mao Tse Tung

If I could have banned them all - 'Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns' - I would have!  -Diane Feinstein
That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all Your wondrous works.  Psalm 26:7

The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.  - John the Baptist

God doesn't believe in atheists.  (Romans 1:20)

Son of Isaac

"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

desertrat144

One man with courage makes a majority. - Andrew Jackson

A little flattery will support a man through great fatigue. - James Monroe

A man has a property in his opinions and the free communication of them. - James Madison

To believe all men honest would be folly. To believe none so is something worse. - John Quincy Adams

at: http://www.wxpnews.com/archives/wxpnews-475-20110419.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~ John Adams
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin,  1759

May have been posted before, but all ring true.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Son of Isaac

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot" ~Mark Twain

desertrat144

"We get what we deserve!" anonymous poly-sci professor addressing those who don't vote.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

George Hacker

"To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, - the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, & the fruits acquired by it." - Thomas Jefferson
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Son of Isaac

The attached file was published by The Federalist Papers.  It is a 90 page compilation of quotations by the founding fathers.  Please download a copy of this document for yourself.  In addition, you can find this document at the following location:

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/founders/free-ebook-quotes-from-our-founding-fathers-volume-1

POP

For those of us in the Alarm List Category, my favorite quote is:

Speaking of Diplomacy ...
"I ain't as good as I once was,
But, I'm as good once as I ever was"
:~ :~ :~   **) ^:)^

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

RiflesnReins

This is my personal favorite.

"Better to die on your feet than live forever on your knees"- La Pasionara

"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

Son of Isaac

"The means of defence against foreign danger, have
been always the instruments of tyranny at home."

~James Madison
Speech, Constitutional
Convention (1787-06-29)

Son of Isaac

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." 

~James Madison, 1794
- Annals of Congress (1794-01-10)

Son of Isaac

"Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" ~Samuel Adams

Burnett

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" -- attributed, correctly or incorrectly, to George Orwell

and of course,

"I went to this Appleseed thing when I was but a whippersnapper and I learned that I didn't really know how to shoot like I thought I did. I was embarrassed. I worked at it all summer and finally got it and went back and got my Rifleman patch. That AQT is a real b***h with a musket. It was hard, but it was worth it. More people should do it. We need more riflemen in this country for the likely coming conflict." -- George Washington, 1774

OnlyHitsCount

I just love this thread!  I have been using this in my history presentations.

The people are Protestants; and of that kind which is the most adverse to all implicit submission of mind and opinion.  This is a persuasion not only favorable to Liberty, but built upon it. - Edmund Burke

That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all Your wondrous works.  Psalm 26:7

The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.  - John the Baptist

God doesn't believe in atheists.  (Romans 1:20)

SteveC

Gaius Cornelius Tacitus (Roman Senator and Orator, 56-117 a.d.):

QuoteThe more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.

The current United States Code of Federal Regulations has at least 200 volumes comprising some 150,000 pages and is updated each year. 

-steve   
"Bring your children to Appleseed so they may prepare to become dangerous old men and women should the necessity present."
-stevec

Son of Isaac

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

Sly223

Author and Time unknown to me!
"They have us surrounded, The poor Bastards"!

" I have seen the Enemy and he is us"!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

JustJeff

Quote from: Sly223 on October 27, 2011, 12:40:20 PM

" I have seen the Enemy and he is us"!

"They've got us surrounded again, the poor bastards." -- Creighton Abrams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:United_States_Army/Quotes)
IIRC, this was uttered during the "Battle of the Bulge" in WWII.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

SteveC

Both of these quotes appear elsewhere on this list.  I put them to image some time back and figure they fit well here:   -stevec

"Bring your children to Appleseed so they may prepare to become dangerous old men and women should the necessity present."
-stevec

Son of Isaac

"Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it." ~ John Adams

Son of Isaac

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.
~George Washington

Roland

Quote from: JustJeff on October 27, 2011, 12:54:21 PM
Quote from: Sly223 on October 27, 2011, 12:40:20 PM

"They've got us surrounded again, the poor bastards." -- Creighton Abrams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:United_States_Army/Quotes)
IIRC, this was uttered during the "Battle of the Bulge" in WWII.

This is usually attributed to Chesty Puller, I believe.
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Son of Isaac

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis

sashok.privetov

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
--Arthur Schopenhauer
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

hangfire

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -- George Washington

Son of Isaac

Tyranny is the exercise of some power over a man, which is not warranted by law,... or necessary for the public safety. A people can never be deprived of their liberties, while they retain in their own hands, a power sufficient to any other power in the state.

Noah Webster, "Ownership of Real Estate the Basis of Liberty" (1787)

Son of Isaac

Liberty once lost is lost forever. When the People once surrender their share in the Legislature, and their Right of defending the Limitations upon the Government, and of resisting every Encroachment upon them, they can never regain it. ~ John Adams

Evenstar

This past weekend, being Mother's Day, my mom, TruTenacity, presented some history focused on the women of the War for Independence at our event in Idaho. She read a quote from a book that I really liked and thought I would share.

"[As you consider your heritage remember a vital player was the] strong, thoughtful woman, who so thoroughly believed in the justness of her cause, that no sacrifice was too great so that liberty be won. The sorrow of separation was the only hardship. The danger, the toil, the privation, and the planning were all a part of the training she had received alongside the man, who now by reason of tradition and custom and the accident of physical strength was the one to bear musket or sword. Him she could trust, and their cause must succeed because it was right. And the man knew that she believed in his courage and loyalty, and that trust could not be betrayed. He felt that she was capable of managing his material interests, and of protecting and caring for his children, and often his load was the lighter of the two. So of these women and their steadfastness and heroism we can never know, as individuals. It is the story of their lives in the concrete and the influence they exerted, that is on record." ~ Pioneer Mothers of America, by Harry Clinton Green

Also, on a different note...

"Our country is in danger, but not to be despaired of. Our enemies are numerous and powerful; but we have many friends, determining to be free and heaven and earth will aid the resolution. On you depend the fortunes of America. You are to decide the important question, on which rest the happiness and liberty of millions yet unborn. Act worthy of yourselves." ~ Joseph Warren, Boston Massacre Oration, 1775
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Sly223

Anything by PHenrey!
He could get the country to do anything with the fire in which to get the bumps movin'
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!