News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Wallingford 10/30-31 PUMPKINSEED!

Started by vernic82, October 31, 2010, 10:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vernic82

Wallingford provided us with our largest venue to date in CT and did not fall short on bringing out some of the best students in CT to the firing line.

45 shooters over the weekend produced 7 Riflemen. 2 of them, Lydia G & Pete N also donned an Orange Hat O0  Both Lydia and Pete will be welcome additions to the CT Instructor Crew and Lydia will be the first lady to join the CT Instructor ranks!

What picture perfect New England autumn weather this weekend. In the mid-50's both days with the absence of any rain or other liquid falling out of the sky. While it did get a bit breezy on Sunday Tom's target line held up far better than our stacks of AQT's!

How the days played out:

Day 1 began with the Safety Briefing then a red coat.  We jumped right into teaching how to build a solid prone position and sling usage. We continued with the 6 Steps, Steady Hold Factors, NPOA, Ball and Dummy and IMC, with each spaced in between sighter groups. During lunch The Log gave us the First Strike and then we started the afternoon with talking targets and a few more sighter groups.  After that, we took a break to listen to The Log deliver the Second & Third Strikes.  Then went into standing and sitting positions and safe transitions after we posted our 1st AQTs in the late afternoon and ended the day with a red coat.  We were informed late in the day we had to be out of the gate by 5:30 so with a reminder to all to stretch, take a hot bath and some Ibuprofen when they get home we finished Day 1.

Day 2 - The better part of the morning was spent recapping Safety and the fundamentals taught on Day 1. We were joined by our beloved Senior Instructor crak.  We then worked on honing skills in the lessons learned on Day 1, with exercises which reinforced NPOA and discouraging the fingers that love to jump off that trigger! During lunch, The Log gave us the stories of DOM, then the Pumpkinseed arrived right after lunch!  The Log brought 3 Pumpkins which Team Whittemore, Team Lamson and Team Nelson carved with 22 cal. bullets for Halloween :D  While our range was only 50 yards we followed this by TOMINCT teaching the fundamentals of KD. The rest of the afternoon, we got into the AQT "buffet", broken up with a Red Coat and benediction as many shooters had to leave due to the holiday. Glock23, one of CT's newest volunteers, stepped up and did a great job calling the line for the remainder of the afternoon O0

Some highlights:

James H - 1st time at an Appleseed, scores rifleman on Saturday (222) and not once but twice on Sunday(221 & 237) :D

Father and son team, Bill P (210) and John P (211) - both persisting and scoring rifleman on the same AQT  ^:)^- John with a bolt action :bow:

Keith A - who never fired anything but a BB gun before Saturday and walking away with a 210 and a patch ++)

And one day shooter Larry K posting a 226 on Sunday 8)

Lydia G getting that Purple Madame Yotnottin patch she's wanted since our last CT AS with a 222:cool2:

Pete N with a 211 for that patch, persistence pays off ^-^

Don and Laura, thanks for coming to another Appleseed and Laura your patch is getting closer!

There were many other shooters who were posting scores in the 190's, we look to see you at future Appleseeds across our great state.

A special thanks to our 6 junior shooters, Lizzy, Tom, Matt, Jason, Eric & Jack - you are the future of Appleseed :)

Special thanks Dave L. for opening up Blue Trail Range to Appleseed.

In closing a special thanks goes to Bill at CT Sporting Arms for his generous donation to help cover range fees!

Please post your pictures and comments!

Yours in Liberty,

vernic82
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

Faith452

^:)^

I did it!! I got my purple patch!  Woooowhooo! 222 baby!!!!   Thank you to everyone who helped me today!! I really appreciated all the help from vernic, Chris, Adem, and the feedback from Jestir. Every little tid bit helped! And yes Chris, I'll pay closer attention to my breathing.  :)

Today was a great day and the weather was perfect. Seeing all the kids out there made it an extra special day. Some of them were doing very well and don't worry Lizzy...you'll get the hang of it soon. Stick with it!.

Pete and I had some fun razzing each other and it was great to see him get his patch today too. It will be good to see everyone again soon. Now that I have my orange hat (  :) ) I'll be at all sorts of events. Dan was very happy to see that I did well today and was even more impressed that I will be following through and helping out however I can! I hope I become the first Lady Redhat for CT...that would be an incredible honor.

Vernic, you did a great job this morning and I'll see you soon!

Thanks again to everyone and to Blue Trails...what an awesome day!
Former Cook

dcmdon

Thank you guys again.  Both Laura and I had a great time. 

We spent some time scoring all the targets after the kids went to bed last night and realized that Laura is   .. . . . thiiiiis close (fingers held together).  Most of her targets were right around 200 with a couple of 202s and one 203. 
Laura hadn't shot since the last appleseed so for the next appleseed we're going to spend some time dry firing and doing transitions in the living room prior to the event.  I may even actually clean the Ruger for the first time in over a year. 

We're planning to attend on Sunday Nov 18 again.  I was going to offer to assist that day while Laura shoots.  (working the opposite end of the line obviously)  I'll shoot Fred and Todd PMs some time today so we can discuss details.

As for my own shooting, I was happy that while my scores only came up slightly, my consistency really improved.   

Don

vernic82

Don - Dry fire is HUGE!  Set aside time for Laura to do this will only aid that SQUEEEZE of the trigger before Hartford and beyond.

Helping out behind the line?!?!?!?!?

Looks like I'll need to amend the AAR to say 3 Orange Hat volunteers!

Thank you!
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

Who_Me?

My first Appleseed was awesome ^:)^ I have been looking forward to it since i got signed up and the only thing that disappointed me was my shooting, at the end of the second day i was only getting 138 on my AQT's. Congratulations to Lydia for sticking in there and getting rifleman, sorry, riflewoman and for getting the orange hat, but you wont be the only girl IIT for long ;). See y'all at the Hartford shoot!

Lizzy 8)
"Heritage is history you care about" - Fred

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

Who_Me?

I have a picture if anyone wants to look!

This is day two and Fred is re-briefing us on safety.
"Heritage is history you care about" - Fred

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

The Log

A big thumbs up for this shoot! My kids and my dad on the line with me on the crew - a three generation shoot! I'll see my 'rents tonight and post that picture right away. Other highlights, beside the very un-Connecticut-Appleseedily clement weather, were:

• The number and quality of youth shooters. Everyone stayed focused and took the instruction well.
  • TOMINCT's most excellent target line - glad you attended that advanced wireline target seminar in Vermont, Tom.
  • The big turnout of CT instructors - so glad to see Adem, JonyMo and GlennZ out there, and well done calling the line, Glock23.
  • Having a PA system was a nice change, and Vernic82 was a hoot with his megaphone.
  • My wife's chili and cornbread for the crew. Sorry we didn't have enough for the shooters - guess we'll have to invest in an industrial-sized crock pot if these CT events (and the CT crew) keep growing.
  • Finally being able to do the history. I've been waiting to do this since about ten minutes after ItsanSKS started the First Strike at my first AS almost a year ago - if I only knew what I was getting into. Sorry my First Strike went so long - I'll trim things down next time.
  • Minting seven new Riflemen and tricking - er, convincing two folks to step up and take the orange hat. Welcome to the crew, Pete and Lydia!
  • SBIT Vernic82 ran a tight ship and a great shoot. Three "huzzahs!" for Uncle Fred (the "Hurtful")

And let's not forget the recipe for Appleseed-style Pumpkin Mousse - place three large pumpkins 25m downrange; divide 40 shooters into three teams; and instruct them to safely and accurately fire as many shots as they can into the pumpkins. After 15 seconds, call cease fire, clear the line, and proceed downrange with a sponge to clean up.

Now on to Hartford in three weeks, and Colebrook shortly after that. Get ready to Appleseed New England style...
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

crak

I forgot to plug this at the shoot, but to all the IITs new and old, there will be an IBC running concurrently with the Leyden, MA shoot this weekend, 11/6-7.  We're going to be going over all the stuff instructors have to do, and you'll get solid practice doing it in front of a friendly crowd.

Leyden is just a straight shot up 91 from CT.
Check your drama at the door.

CortJestir

Still forming my thoughts (all positive) on this one, folks. In the meantime, here are some more pics.

As always, PM or email me for high-rez versions.

Oh, and who took pics of Peter N. and Faith452? Post 'em up when you can...  ;)

CJ

Firing Line - Right

Firing Line - Left

Building a Solid Position

Rifleman James

First Strike with The Log

Listening to the First Strike

Rifleman Keith (with an exact 210 to earn him a douse of Old North Bridge Water)

Standing Position

Target Line

Glock23 stands by the lever to launch us to "Ludicrous Speed"

Rifleman Bill

Rifleman John (also with an exact 210)

Father and Son Riflemen

My loaner rifle is literally a "tack driver"

Rifleman Larry

The Future of Appleseed and America

The Log's hat changes color!

CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

Glock23

Quote from: CortJestir on November 01, 2010, 04:07:57 PM
Oh, and who took pics of Peter N. and Faith452? Post 'em up when you can...  ;)

I did. On the way this evening.

Faith452

Quote from: Who_Me? on November 01, 2010, 11:25:14 AM
My first Appleseed was awesome ^:)^ I have been looking forward to it since i got signed up and the only thing that disappointed me was my shooting, at the end of the second day i was only getting 138 on my AQT's. Congratulations to Lydia for sticking in there and getting rifleman, sorry, riflewoman and for getting the orange hat, but you wont be the only girl IIT for long ;). See y'all at the Hartford shoot!

Lizzy 8)

Well Miss Lizzy..I hope that you'll be able to join me soon! Next time I see you at an appleseed we'll work on getting you to your next goal and soon you too will be rifleman. Practice dry firing at home!
Former Cook

fprintf

What an awesome weekend!  I am so glad to see the entire CT crew. There were more than a couple of highlights for me:

• calling the line with a PA system makes it easy!  No need to yell and make yourself heard. Plus jokes don't fall on deaf (muffled) ears.
  • 40+ shooters on a long line is made much easier by excellent LSO/RSO work. It didn't take us long to get smooth with excellent direction from SBIT Vernic82.
  • Seeing Lydia's excitement at achieving her Riflewoman score, but not just squeaking by but nailing it with a 222
  • The pumpkin shoot was simply awesome. Anyone who doubts the power of a .22 rifle just needed to see what 80-ish rounds can do. I wish we'd video taped it. My son and nephew expressed great disappointment that they only got through one magazine before the pumpkin burst into pieces!
  • Larry had been knocking on the door of Rifleman with his 15-22 for three Appleseeds now.
  • Lots to say about our new Rifleman and Riflewoman!  Congratulations!
  • Thanks to Fred, Todd and Tom for letting me instruct a bunch during the day on Saturday. It was the most talking I had done in a while, and even though I didn't call the line much I still left the weekend with a hoarse voice.

We need a new bumper sticker. "You meet the nicest people at an Appleseed!"
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

crak

Despite their Hondas refusing to start...

Glock23

Pictures! But first, my takeaways:

• fprintf knocked it out of the park with his instruction! Even if he did violate Rule 22...  **)
  • jonymo is America's Next Top Model.
  • The Log proves that not only is he great for a snack and fits on your back, but that's he's better than bad, he's darn GOOD at delivering the 3 Strikes of the Match!
  • Green is definitely vernic82's color.
  • I'm glad I never scored an exact 210....
  • I was absolutely awestruck with the results of the Pumpkin shoot! NEVER would I have expected to witness that! Hopefully we can do it again next year....with MORE pumpkins!
  • We witnessed a fine group of Riflemen earn The Patch, and one motivated Riflewoman, who's dogged persistence and sheer tenacity inspired us all.

One final note: This was my first Appleseed as an IIT. The big takeaway for me this weekend was that "teaching is addictive". Working with shooters, watching their groups shrink and their scores improve throughout the weekend might be as much fun as shooting an Appleseed yourself!

If jonymo doesn't scare those Redcoats with Brown Beauty's wooden barrel, surely fprintf will with his brace of finger pistols!

America's Next Top Model

Pete! A Rifleman and an Orange Hat!

Lydia! We have a Riflewoman - HUZZAH!

And our first Lady IIT!

Faith452

I am overwhelmed with how supportive everyone has been!! I can't wait to help out!!

Outside of Pete and I getting rifleman I think my favorite part was the pumpkin shoot!  :---   I couldn't stop laughing. We'll have to do that again next year and get it on video.

See you at the next shoot!
Former Cook

The Log

Pumpkinseed 2010 - A Three Generation Shoot

The Log with shooters Pop-Pop, Lizzy and Tom, and Quartermaster Patty (she can cook, but she's not a "cook" - she shot a 203 in July) and Drummer Maggie. The family that shoots together, stays together.
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

crak