News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Nampa ID Oct 30-31

Started by Pa Rah, October 27, 2010, 10:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pa Rah

This is a place holder for the Nampa ID Appleseed.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Ronald Reagan

Pa Rah

Every thing is moving forward. Instructors for this Appleseed will be traveling tomorrow (Friday) form Montana, Northern Idaho and Portland Oregon. I wish each and everyone of them a safe trip.

The weather forecast is for rain both Sat and Sun. Lows about 34, highs in the low 50's. Based on the last weeks weather low 50's will last about 15 minutes. There will be no shelter from the rain but knowing we will have a large military contingent I do not expect the attendance to be rained out. We'll see. The weather this time of year can be bright and sunny or otherwise. I have advised all instructors to bring their rain gear.   

The rifle range at the Nampa Rod and Gun Club is run by mostly Marines (Retired) who truly understand the promise they made to defend the Constitution against all enemies both foreign and domestic. It has been my pleasure to shoot with these men these past years. Individually they are offering shooting mats, slings, rifles, gun smiting, what ever we need in order to pass on the tradition of the American Revolution. O0
Ronald Reagan

AF Medic

I will be coming in from Mountain Home, rain or shine.  This will be my first appleseed shoot.  Looking forward to the course and meeting everyone.

Pa Rah

The weather on Sat turned out to be very good. Mostly sunny and in the high 50's. The range had to be set up as two separate firing lines. The shooters were back to back about 50 yards apart. The shooters with the least experience were separated from the shooters who had at least some experience with their guns.  We had enough instructors so that each of the new shooters had a personal coach for the day.

Our host the Nampa Rod and Gun Club was very accommodating. Jeff Collins, one of the Board members and who is Ordinance Officer for the club met me Friday morning at the range and with out hesitation offered to help set up the target backers since all of the other instructors had to travel 6 to 9 hours on Friday for the shoot. It turns out that he shot on a Marine Rile Team in 29 Palms with Bill Mattocks, Sgt, USMC. If you don't know who he is look at the Appleseed handout, green sheet titled "Why Go for a CMP M1. It is a small world after all. I want to thank the entire Board of The Nampa Rod and Gun Club for their support.

Just a note about the rifle range. It was built by the US Calvary in 1903. If you look at it from the air you see where the horse barns were and where horses where exercised. It was in use by the Calvary until the late 1940's and then by executive order tuned over to Nampa Rod and Gun Club for civilian use. Over the years the club has had to fight legal battles with land developers and others who have tried to shut down the range for their own greedy purposes. From what I understand it would have been much easier for the club just to shut it down and move but that's just not going to happen anytime soon. The people of the club remind me of the people we talk about when telling the "Story". They will stand up for what is right and anyone trying to take that right away will soon break themselves on unmovable determination.  

The weather on Sunday, not so much. It rained on and off most of day until mid-afternoon. The rain didn't deter six shooters from returning for more of a good thing. Also, I noticed that the rain didn't wash away anyone's rifle although I did see water spraying out of ejection ports from time to time.

I want to congratulate Jeff and Casey (AF Medic on the forum) for qualifying as Riflemen. They both qualified on the first AQT on Sunday and then continued to improve their scores with each AQT. Both of them were shooting in the mid 230's consistently by mid afternoon.  These are two men that know very much "What They Are About".

I want to encourage everyone who attended but was unable to score Rifleman, to persist until it is said about you that you know very much "What You Are About".

Also, I want to thank all the instructors who traveled so far help get a fire started out here.  See you at the next Appleseed.

Ronald Reagan

Western Rose

Wow!!! What a weekend. So many memories... and pictures...

Thanks to all of the shooters who came out to learn. You guys were great. Congratulations to the two new rifleman.  O0

Thanks to the all of the other instructors for being there. I heard some of the best history I've ever heard before. ^:)^

I'll go through my hundreds of pictures and post some ASAP. :D
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Western Rose

Saturday pictures as promised!

Sorry! I didn't get any Saturday pictures of the larger line! :-[

The range is GORGEOUS!!!

Two of the things we made as soon as we got to the range on Friday

Saturday Morning

The self-proclaimed "newbie" group

Evenstar going over IMC

Listening to Pa Rah's First Strike

And Clodhopper's Second Strike

After lunch we had an addition to our line

Listening to LTR's Third Strike

Jeff was our host. Thanks Jeff!!!

Ok, kinda strange picture, I know... BUT it was pointed out to me (thanks, Mark) that we had outhouse number 1775! :D

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

50th Appleseed

Western Rose

Sunday pictures with everyone on one line

Looking like a storm...

The group Sunday

Trying to get this rifle on paper

Evenstar got some trigger time!!!

Clodhopper being "patient" ;)

Two of our six shooters on Sunday!

The rain came and it was STORY time!!! (Yes, it rains and shines at the same time... sometimes)

Casey shot rifleman! Congratulations!

Jeff shot rifleman! Well done, sir!

"Rosie" and "Jesse"

And then he decided to make me look abnormally short... ^-^

Evenstar with the troublemaker ;)

HOW many instructors does it take to pull out a fence post once it has been sealed in place by the sand and rain?

Looking up some history

Has anyone else ever seen one of THESE at an Appleseed before?

Rainbow!!!

Most of the instructors and our host

The picture takers

Having way too much fun after hours with a cameras on timers...

And again

I told you, we were having way too much fun! And here's the "Hi, Earl!!!" picture of the weekend. ;)

50th Appleseed

Western Rose

OK, BEEMER, Evenstar, and anyone else who took pictures... your turn!!!

50th Appleseed

Mark Davis

Good shoot, it was great to meet AF Medic,and  all the brave shooters who came out and braved some rain. Corrine, and Carol improved sights will make it much better Dave, keep it up you will make it, everyone, practice those positions a little bit three times a week
Had a great time visiting with the other instructors.
I understand Western Rose has some fantastic video editing programs so it will be quite intresting to see some of her photos and clips.
For those of you who left early there was some freindly competition between a couple of instructors who shot against each other weak side, as in right handed shooter shooting left handed.
The princly sum of five cents was the bet, and the loser signed the nickle prize with a sharpie berfore congratulating the winner.
The results?
ole clod had to pay off for a 66 point drubbing in the 40 round qualifying target.
the other instructor  had to pay off for the standing redcoat (all thirteen rounds fired standing).
My recomendation? That other instructor better keep practicing because we shall meet again for a grudge match.

Evenstar

Quote from: Western Rose on November 01, 2010, 09:36:18 PM
OK, BEEMER, Evenstar, and anyone else who took pictures... your turn!!!

While WR already pretty much covered posting photos, I've got a couple. I'll post them soon.

Well, it was a fantastic shoot at a beautiful range! Thanks to the range for having us, and thanks to the brave souls who ventured out to see what Appleseed is about. Dave, Corinne, and Carol, it was a pleasure to work with you guys all Saturday. Come on back. :)
BEEMER and LTR, it was good to meet you guys!
Clodhopper (aka Jesse Adair  ;D), thanks for the laughs. Dr. Pepper's good! **) **) **) **) Got that one on video just so you know.
Pa Rah, it was GREAT to see you again, this time working under you as an orange hat instead of being a student on the line. :cool2:

Thanks everyone for the memories and a great weekend.
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

AF Medic

Just wanted to say thanks again to all the instructors.  What a great course and I loved the history.  This was my first time for any type of shooting course outside of military training and I learned a lot.  I still have trouble with the "happy finger", but I will always remember it now and continue to work on it.  I am already looking forward to the next chance I have to go to another Appleseed.  To all the other shooters who came out, I enjoyed meeting you all and shooting with you.

One more thing:  I was extremely impressed with our 3 youngest instructors, they were polite, professional and knew their stuff. Kudos to their parents, you are raising them right and it shows.

Earl

Hi, Earl picture --- who is Earl? ::)

Looks like that shoot worked well, lots of great pictures, almost wish it had included audio for the stories.  I like that it was an old Cavalry post, cool :) For those long distance travelers making Appleseed happen so far from home, thank you very much. O0
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

LTR

Quote from: Earl on November 02, 2010, 01:48:43 AM
Hi, Earl picture --- who is Earl? ::)

Looks like that shoot worked well, lots of great pictures, almost wish it had included audio for the stories.  I like that it was an old Cavalry post, cool :) For those long distance travelers making Appleseed happen so far from home, thank you very much. O0

We (Ducko too) will see you in a couple of weeks - looking forward to it.

Wheeler44

Now that looks like a great shoot...I hope to see some of you in Yakima soon.

quote]We (Ducko too) will see you in a couple of weeks - looking forward to it.[/quote]

Good job LTR...I look forward to seein' ya again soon....

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Western Rose

Wheeler, are you coming to Yakima?!? When?

Quote from: clodhopper on November 01, 2010, 09:45:29 PM
[...]I understand Western Rose has some fantastic video editing programs so it will be quite intresting to see some of her photos and clips.[...]

I've got to find the right kind of music first. ^-^

Quote[...]For those of you who left early there was some freindly competition between a couple of instructors who shot against each other weak side, as in right handed shooter shooting left handed.
The princly sum of five cents was the bet, and the loser signed the nickle prize with a sharpie before congratulating the winner.
The results? ole clod had to pay off for a 66 point drubbing in the 40 round qualifying target.
the other instructor had to pay off for the standing redcoat (all thirteen rounds fired standing).
My recomendation? That other instructor better keep practicing because we shall meet again for a grudge match.

The "other instructor" had to pay off for a 3 point drubbing in the 13 round redcoat.
**) Or two or three. ;) Hey! At least that "other instructor" kept the "losing" redcoat as well as the "winning" AQT. The question is, did Jesse?

And yes, I know I'm asking for it. ;D

50th Appleseed