News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR, Ottawa, IL Oct 23rd-24th 2010

Started by Reveille, October 24, 2010, 09:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reveille

A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Garand69

That's it??? Come on Reveille, I know you had more fun than that!
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Pappy

Sure We had a great time, we are waiting till TUESDAY, Please read it 42 times, P
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Reveille

Quote from: Garand69 on October 24, 2010, 10:54:23 PM
That's it??? Come on Reveille, I know you had more fun than that!

Hey, I try to use proper etiquette and wait for the ShootBoss to set the stage. @) **)
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

EEL

Sheesh !!!  &)  Rather impatient bunch of folks here.  Alrighty then.....Saturday morning at Ottawa.....raining of course!  Not a drizzle, not a sprinkle, not a misting.  Flat out raining at 0730.  16 shooters were pre-registered for this event.  We held our breath to see how many would show.  These Illinois folks will certainly revive your hope for this country as 13 shooters, 13,  stood in the pouring rain listening intently to the safety rules.  Heck, we even had 1 walk on.  Yup, Mike decided that if our forefathers could withstand the conditions at Valley Forge, he could withstand a "little" rain.   O0  As Reveille pointed out to me, 13 shooters - 13 colonies...coincidence?  :cool2:

Most came prepared and had gear to combat the elements.  Those that didn't have any were quickly provided for by their "new" friends.  That's the beauty of Appleseed.  Folks you just met willing to share whatever they have to help you proceed through the day.  That, my friends, is what built this Country and that is what's needed to help save it. 

Things progressed a bit slower than usual as we had to be extra careful with soggy targets, backers, and mats.  Undeterred by the rain, our shooters soldiered on.  No sunshine patriots and summertime warriors in this bunch!  We also had a wide variety of rifles from bolt action 7.62x54s, to tube fed pump .22s, to tube fed bolt .22s, to tricked out 10/22s.  As we worked through the instruction, it became apparent that we had some really talented shooters.  All listened well and tried their best to apply it.  Trigger control and follow through seemed to be the hardest to overcome.  Persist and persevere.  It applies to many things in life, not just shooting, not just adverse weather conditions.

Mike, our walk on, and Bridgette were able to put everything together and shoot to Rifleman's standard.  Congratulations to both.  Several plan to modify their rifles to better fit them and return, maybe at Waterman Nov. 6-7.

A great season at Buffalo Rock Shooting Park comes to a close on a upbeat note.  Two more Riflemen, dedicated Illinois shooters, and plans for more shoots here next year. 

Thanks to all that braved the rain and turned out.  As I said, it gives all of us renewed hope that this country has a chance.  That there are still people willing to get off the couch, even in the rain, and come learn our history, our heritage, and marksmanship.

Hope to see many of you at another shoot soon!

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Garand69

2 More Rifleman!!! That's excellent news. That make 71 new Illinois Rifleman in the year 2010 and 129 Rifleman since this great program landed on Illinois soil ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

It rains at Ottawa?
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Shooter30-06

I would first say that this was an enthusiastic and pleasant group of shooters no matter what the conditions, let alone in a steady rain.  There was remarkable improvement all up and down the line.  The Thomas family should really be proud.  Bridgette earned her rifleman's badge and brothers Dean and Dylan are not far behind.  If you guys persist I am sure you will match the prodigal sister!  Mike shot some of the best groups I have ever seen in earning his badge.  Great job!

I hope both of our new rifleman consider taking an Orange hat in the future.  You are just the kind of folks we need to pass marksmanship skills on to others - you are great shooters and nice people.  It was a privilege to meet you. 

"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Reveille

Where to start, that's a tough one.  Ottawa seems to regularly provide moisture more than needed, but that didn't stop this group of shooters.  Older tube fed rifles without sling studs or slings for that matter didn't stop this group of shooters.  Mud, wind, rain didn't stop this group of shooters.  I think you know where I am going with this.  I am very impressed with the group of shooters that turned out this past weekend.  Congratulations to Bridgette and Mike for earning the coveted Riflemans patch, you earned it.  The rest of you all showed great improvement and with persistence you will also be able to achieve a Riflemans score.  I had a great time working with all of you and I hope you had a positive experience with Appleseed and will consider helping spread the word to your friends and neighbors. I hope to see all of you again on the Appleseed trail.
                                                                                                                                                               Reveille

AK

At this shoot, as with every shoot, I met another great group of people.  The weather did not deter them.  Equipment problems did not deter them.  They persevered.  Congratulations to all the shooters for showing improvement in their skills.  Congratulations to Mike and Bridget for becoming Riflemen.  I enjoyed working with all the shooters and instructors.  It was a great way to spend a rainy fall weekend. 
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

CAPS

This was my first Appleseed and the cadre asked for an AAR sooooooooooooooooo.....

PROGRAM:  What a great country we live in and what a great program we have in Appleseed.   If you have any doubts about the fortitude of Americans, look at the Appleseed Cadre.  They were on the range before and after the students and in the same rain.  It cost them significant time and money to gain the expertise necessary to teach boneheaded guys like me, to shoot and to appreciate our heritage.  Honor to the Appleseed instructors and administrators.  I learned a ton at this Appleseed and will now give you my "Hoosier"  impression of the training.
INSTRUCTORS:  With devoted instructors and my own ammunition, I fired 450+ rounds.  Every round I shot, taught me something.  The progressive training regime worked extremely well to mitigate bad habits and replace them with the correct six steps to fire a shot.  Of course many of the shots taught me what I should have done better and indicated what I needed to work on.  A shooter can't learn it all, on their own.  I had read about and practiced how to use the sling, but still could not make it work until Appleseed instructors showed me.  Another eureka moment was when I forced myself to, follow through with the shot, as the instructors told me (I was sure I was already doing it correctly...).  I was not, but then I gained points on every string of fire by doing it.  The instructors appeared to be more proud of the students' progress then the students were!  The only complaint I had is that I noticed that the instructors were watching me as I executed a good standing position and shot a nice group.  I was enjoying the attention, when they politely told me that my fly was unzipped.   This did not bother me, however when I wanted to unzip, the next time I shot standing, in order to repeat the good shooting, they discouraged it. 
GEAR:  I came to the event with a good rifle.  But it was so far out of adjustment that I could not have qualified with it.   They remounted the scope and gave me several other tips regarding the mechanics of the rifle.  The only work that I did on the rifle, that came out perfectly was the addition of the, "I Voted Today" sticker, that I applied after the shoot.
CONTRIBUTION:  To prevent rust in the rifle barrel, I took a piece of line from a string trimmer and cut a diagonal point on one end, to a length that was a foot longer than my rifle barrel.  I then tied a knot in the blunt end and melted it into a little glob.   With the sharp end, I pierced the center of a patch and moved it down the string to the glob.  Thus I made a Hoosier pull through cleaner which removed any rain and moisture from my rifle barrel.  I later tied another knot in the string above the glob, to make the patch fit tighter in the bore.  I followed this patch with an oiled one and made sure that I centered the string when I pulled it through the bore so it would not rub the muzzle.  Be like me and ALWAYS dry patch the bore to remove oil before YOU shoot.  I wish I had thought this up this compact cleaning kit on my own, but I think it was a guy named "Otis."
CAMARADERIE:  I was impressed with the other students' spirit and how the Appleseed team addressed each rifle and shooter to make them part of the team and improve their shooting.  Everybody enjoyed themselves and it appeared to help their fellow shooters.   Since I am in the early stages of Dunlap's disease (my belly, done lap over my belt) those around me showed me the best way to mitigate the effects of this malady while in the sitting position.  This team concept was evident in the last safety rule taught at Appleseed, "Make sure your neighbor is safe."  The only break down in this teamwork was when I offered cash money for one of the instructors to demonstrate their skill on my AQT, they politely refused!   
ME:  To improve my preparation for the next Appleseed (I don't want to give you the exact date or location because if known, it may prevent the assembly of the all volunteer cadre) I will comply with the advanced instructions.  In Ottawa, forgetting to bring water did not seem to be an issue in the morning rain, but in the afternoon I was happy that I "found" a bottle of water in my car.  Unfortunately was a bottle of "tonic" water.  But on a positive note, I know I will not get malaria from the shoot.  An instructor's canteen on the shooting bench was a reminder to hydrate and an offer to share.   Since I shot well, I expect I will need to drink tonic water at the next shoot!  So, if you see an old fart drinking tonic water with his fly open, it might be me.
RIDE HOME:  On the ride home I reflected on how great it was to see a family together at an event.  It was especially neat to see the sense of accomplishment that Bridgette had when she received her Rifleman award and see the smiles of her brothers when they saw that their newly developed skills evident on their targets.  The targets I saw would've had them wearing a marksmanship badge in the military.  I like the thought of Bridgette teaching children and passing on the excitement of history that we experienced at Ottawa, she is college junior majoring in education.  Odds are some of the young men on the range will take their shooting skills to the military where they will be ahead of their peers because of the excellent shooting foundation provided by the Appleseed program.
I realized that I forgot to pick up my share of the range brass.  Forgive me.  I will make sure I make up for it at the next shoot.   
HOME:  When I got home I proudly held my rifleman patch to my chest and proclaimed to my wife, "kiss me I'm the rifleman!"  She said, "no you're not, Chuck Connors is!"  She kissed me anyway and agreed to go to an Appleseed with me.
Thanks and honor to all involved in the noble art of rifle marksmanship, 

CAPS  (Candy A** Pistol Shooter)

Pappy

Hello Group; Yes it rains in Ottawa,  but this year we had more sun than rain and who cares anyway Good Rifles work, no matter the forcast.......... We are happy to have two new Riflemen join the Illinois ranks Great job Mike and Bridgette..  Hope to see all of you on the Appleseed trail-- This means SIGN UP FOR another shoot!!!!!! WE have a few left on the roster near YOU.... Waterman has a long distance range 500 yds, Bonfield has a covered firing line that we use and camping at the range with showers and a large picnic shelter.. Alton, Range-Quarry, John Ross`s range, Author of Unintended Consequences, My favorite book. AppleSeed always & keep them in the black. Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Reveille

Mike(CAPS), that was one of the best posts I have had the pleasure of reading and I wanted to thank you for speaking from the heart (and funny bone).  I only wish I was so eloquent in my key slashing.  Bringing a teachable attitude is one of the hardest things to pack the morning of the shoot along with remembering H2O.  I hope that you will keep Appleseed and our mission close to your side and I look forward to seeing you on the trail soon.  Reveille.

Patriot Gal

CAPS!  That was a great synopsis of your AS experience.  Had me chuckling throughout.  Sounds like CM and I missed a good one.  I'll have to make sure he reads your post, especially the zipper part ( I didn't say that!) :o

Hope you meet you and your lovely wife (who MUST have a great sense of humor) on the AS trail.   O0

Patriot Gal

BTW- really like the pic collage of your shoot jacket, rifle, ammo...etc. That would make a great avatar picture. If you want, just attach it under your profile.  :cool2:
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Sunshine

Hi Everyone!!!!!
Looking over CAPS' report, i can't really think of much to add but I'll do my best... I had an amazing time at the shoot and I know my family enjoyed themselves immensely!!! When my dad mentioned taking my three brothers to the Appleseed and asked if i wanted to come I said sure, why not. I had know idea I would have such a good time and learn so much. My boys are all hunters and I only ever shoot trap. We always have a good time and make it interesting, but shotguns are the weapon of choice at my house. The fact that the instructors got all 5 of us to shoot as well as we did in one weekend is simply astounding. The fact that they did it without getting annoyed or wanting to strangle us is even more stunning!!! (I know, shocking! but brothers and sisters have been known to argue...) I can't praise them enough for their patience and knowledge as well as their loans of equiptment... (You know who you are) The knowledge passed on over the two days was intense, and even when i was mostly damp at 4:30 on Saturday after getting rained on all morning I didn't want to leave. I feel like I discovered a new obsession and I have already explained to my dad that I will be getting a new scope and sling for Christmas... This is definitely something I would love to pass on and you can sure as heck bet I'll be an instructor as soon as I get out of school! I especially loved the history involved and seeing Ed shoot his Brown Bess was the talk of the ride home. I have yet to find the first redcoat I shot, which was by far the best out of the four that i did, but I haven't let my Rifleman AQT out of my sight!!!!! I made mom take my picture as soon as i walked in the door, and the look on the boys' faces and their exasperation when she innocently asked them "Where's yours?" made my evening. You can bet you'll be seeing us again if only for the boys to try and outdo their sister's score... 218 at my first appleseed, they can bring it!!

AK

Great to hear from CAPS and Sunshine (Why didn't you use Flounder?).  I was at the other end of the line and am sorry to say I missed the whole zipper incident.  If you think that position change helped, maybe we should add it to the instruction.   ^-^.  "Shooters, your preparation time has ended.  with ten rounds, LOAD.  Unzip and fire!"---Maybe not.   Loved your picture Bridgette!  Thanks for coming and thanks for posting.  Shooter30.06 and I enjoyed hearing from you.
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

Reveille

I'm pretty sure that leaving the barracks door open is frowned upon.  :D
Too bad EEL missed out on the fun cuz I know he would have had a priceless response. ::)
Great photo Sunshine.  I hope the 1000yrd stare stays with you for a while.

ragnar

howdy folks,
I had a great time and learned a lot during the shoot.  im the guy w/ the nagant.  Everyone was very friendly, and the instructors have a lot of knowledge and experience that they are willing to share.  It is not very usual to find people so willing to teach the skills they have mastered.  I was never taught to shoot by my dad, and never shot an actual firearm until a year or two ago.  i knew i wasnt shooting right when i did shoot, and needed to find a place to learn the basics.  like caps was saying, i read a lot about shooting, but things werent clicking, especially the whole m.o.a. thing.  its like some dark secret that people guard.  its been a couple days since the shoot, and im allready dry fire practicing for the next one.  the information presented was a lot to understand in a few short hours, but i'll be attending another shoot when i feel confident in what ive learned(most likely in the spring).  the thing that surprised me was how demolished i felt after putting 450+ rounds downrange with the nagant.  the other thing that surprised me was how my groups got much smaller as i learned.  right now im concentrating on finding my n.p.o.a. a lot quicker and getting into position quicker.  my goal is to not only make rifleman w/ my m1a, but to actually make it with my nagant.  i was not sure of what to expect out of the appleseed, but i found a bunch of normal everyday people who want to share their excitement for freedom through teaching others how to shoot.   what a great bunch of people, and what a great program.  thanks guys. 

Sunshine

I thought about using flounder, Ak, but I decided sunshine in honor of Saturday morning would be better...

Pappy

Welcome to the forum O0 O0 O0 O0 :) :)  Caps, Sunshine, & Ragnar.. We all hope to see you soon, Check the sched and pick a date... Pappy

ragnar

looked at the schedule, waterman in march looks nice...if i can wait that long....