News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Wabash, IN Oct 16 & 17 2010

Started by ATM, October 18, 2010, 01:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATM

Awesome weekend! Great numbers with 40 shooters on Saturday and 28 on Sunday. I think the locals made a real push to get the word out and fill it up. Great job!
We couldn't have asked for any better weather for this event at Wabash Wildlife & Sportsman's Association. Both days were sunny and warm.

The theme seemed to be families. Families on the line. Families learning and improving their marksmanship. Most importantly, families connecting with their heritage.
The number of young shooters and new shooters was phenomenal! Of course there were also a few who were already experienced, but by the end of the first day that early gap was narrowing considerably...

All were attentive to the history presentations and I saw the significance clicking in hearts and minds of every age. They know they are all a very important part of the American Revolution. They know the terrible cost paid and the tough choices made on their behalf.

Day two we picked up the pace and drove harder. I saw determination. I saw persistence. I witnessed zany antics. Wait... what? Yep, the young ones led the way in keeping our attitudes positive and our focus sharp by chorusing the safe rifle chant after nearly every course of fire. Their spirit was contagious and their smiles one of our many rewards.   ;)

The Instructor crew, every one of them, performed far above and beyond their levels this weekend. They saved the day over and over again by stepping out of their comfort zones and executing with excellence. I threw many changes their way behind the scenes. They transitioned like pros and made it seamless.  :bow:

The afternoon bacon brigade of youth sharpshooters verifying their known distance come-ups at 100yds with .22s, continued progress and fine tuning as the rest of the line hammered their AQT scores higher and higher... I hated for it to end.

Come back again, tell your friends, practice by the numbers. The Rifleman spirit is alive and well in Indiana! You all did great!  O0

You left this shoot changed. I know you will make the most of it.

ATM

Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

AuntieBellum

What a great weekend!  It was certainly a pleasure to meet everyone as they registered on Saturday morning, and it was especially exciting to see how many families were there (siblings, cousins, fathers, daughters, sons, mothers, grandparents...).  I had the pleasure of hanging out on the right end of the line with the kids for the afternoon (kids of all ages!), and I found myself quickly getting pulled into their enthusiasm!

It was easy to see just how much everyone was learning about both their heritage and markmanship.  Remember that 7th step, and I look forward to each of you coming back again with a friend or relative in tow.  I regret that I wasn't able to stay for Sunday, but I've heard that it was even more fun than Saturday!

Look for pictures here sometime late tomorrow!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Hawkeye6354

Fun weekend!  Great weather, lots of shooting, lots of learning, big doses of humility, lots of sun and fresh air!  It really doesn't get any better than this!

Leah and I went through ~500 rounds of .22 LR. We both qualified Marksman on the AQT. (FYI - that is the LOWEST qualification possible. A few more missed and we'd have been UNQUALIFIED!). That's the dose of humility. I went in thinking I could have scored Expert. I'm still going to try, but definitely need to practice, practice, practice.

Did reasonably ok standing but still have room to improve. Seated/kneeling is going to require better flexibility. That's something to work on at home. Prone - given the size of the targets and my old eyes - maybe I'll have to go for a scope to score well there. If I can do it with iron sights I'll really be happy - and lucky!

Field shooting using a sling is nothing like going to most DNR ranges where you are  pretty much left to bench shooting off a solid rest. There I was getting pretty consistent groups of 1/4 to 1/2 inch. So it's definitely me, not the rifle!

The two days of shooting with lots of transitions between standing, sitting and prone as well as the stress of controlling breathing and holding a steady position can be challenging. Being in better shape is definitely a plus. Also working on flexibility in my legs and back would help.

All in all, a great way to spend a weekend, learn some history and learn some practical shooting skills. I'll definitely go back - maybe December in Rochester, IN?

AuntieBellum

And the pictures!

The line:

Andre giving some instruction Saturday morning:

One on one instruction:

Ball and dummy:

More shooting:

Our youth receiving their patches for their enthusiasm and hard work:

And the funny colored hats behind the scenes:

"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Andre

Sorry 'bout being so late on my comments   :-[

It was my pleasure to work with all of you at this shoot!  I saw a lot of persistence, even when the fatigue was coming on, way to go!   O0

I failed to write our birthday boy's name down, but I'm glad you could celebrate with us. I sure wish I would have had a birthday present like yours when I was your age.  Hope you have this memory with you a long time.

Leah :  You've got the basics, now practice, and show 'em at West Point what Appleseed can do  (shooting AND heritage knowledge).  Hope to hear sometime down the trail how "impressed" they were.

Guess I'll have to get in the habit of writing names down - I've never been to a regular AS this size - I'm used to smaller events that don't overload the memory bank.   ;)
Do that practice thing and see y'all down the AS trail.

Andre

USMC_0311

I posted this on another site but just joined up here and wanted to tell you what a great thing this is.  Thanks!!

Wow just now recovered from this shoot. What a fantastic weekend it turned out to be. If you hadn't been to an Appleseed don't wait any longer. I waited (procrastinated) way too long. Go and take someone with you. I have heard all the arguments/excuses (I probably presented most of them ) and I call bull ****. Folks I have put a lot of rounds down range with your tax money and I thought it would be easy. Marksmanship skills are nothing like riding a bike, you have to challenge yourself constantly. 20 years ago I was shooting competitively in the corps. I shot in the Marine Corps matches, Interservice matches, and the Nationals at Camp Perry so I think I might know a thing or 2 when it comes to shooting bullseye's. It's not something you learn, put it on the self, and then go back to get it. Going to the range and shooting your handgun is good for your self defense training. Shooting your rifle from the bench is cheating and only good for zeroing. Learning to become a rifleman is more involved, and just as important.

This was ATM's first shoot as shoot boss in training. I would have never known it was his first. He was amazing and you could tell he really enjoyed himself. His rendition of the Marines Corps Hymn caused a few Ohh Rahs to be shouted on the line.  All of the instructors were very helpful, informative, and dedicated. The marksmanship training focused on the fundamentals. Do you know them? Shooting from positions, transitioning targets, timed fire, and making magazine changes will keep you challenged all day. They start slow and build you up over the 2 days. While no rifleman scores were posted everyone was shooting better by the end.

That's right no rifleman scores translate to me. I thought it a sure thing; a little humility sure does the soul good. My body doesn't bend the way it used too, it makes all kind of noises (some gross), and the eyes oh them poor old tired eyes. I have been carrying around a prescription for eyeglasses since March 2009. I am just too dumb and stubborn to get the glasses. Did I tell you how a little humility does the soul good? Good news, the eyes can be fixed, the body can get back in shape, and the rifleman score will come this I have no doubts.

I saved the best for last. They just suckered me in with shooting and then explained few things about our heritage. They focused on 2 days in April 1775 and the events leading up to our American Revolution. The sacrifices made those 2 days were made for generations to come. The foresight, wisdom, and courage a few Americans exhibited are fine examples to live by. I don't care if you're a democrat, republican, black, white, fat, skinny...your heritage is calling. If you are an American you owe it to become a rifleman.

Special thanks to ATM and BoR two of the finest rifleman I have been blessed to know. Bill3 (WRWIII), yellowhousejake, and Andre (don't know about spelling) were especially helpful in getting my attitude adjusted. My son was bouncing of the walls Saturday night in anticipation of the next day. He has been shooting a few years now and shoots with the Indiana State Junior Pistol Team so this really made an impression on him. First thing he asked me on the way home is how old do I have to be to an instructor? He was ready to shoot the next weekend. The kids are free take them!

ATM

Thanks for sharing that, Marine. I am humbled and inspired.

I'm so glad that you and Patrick joined us for the weekend - I just know we'll see you both again on the trail.

Until then... Ooh Rah, 0311 Rifleman!  O0
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0