News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Bates City, MO - October 2-3

Started by MOGromit, October 05, 2010, 12:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOGromit

My first event to work at the Pioneer Gun Club in Bates City, MO, and I cannot say enough good things about all of the Appleseeders that attended, the range personnel, and the facilities themselves.

Many thanks to Greg In MO and Hector Fuego who set up the target line the day before, and also to the shooters who helped expand the line Saturday morning when we found that a total of 21 walk-ons had arrived!  Cookie Lady kept the admin running and directing the shooters down to the equipment and firing line while everyone showed what Total Participant Involvement looks like, even before hearing the intro to the program.

Redcoats, squares, AQTs filled the days on the firing line.  The three strikes were given by the Red Hats in attendance over lunch and at the close of Saturday, followed on Sunday by Dangerous Old Men and Women.  A special thanks to Sheila, a repeat attendee, who shared the story of Sybil Ludington, a dangerous young woman, over lunch on Sunday as well.

Two riflemen were awarded the patch, Rick a repeat attendee on the first AQT of the weekend, and Matt, a first timer, on the very last of the weekend, shot with only 6 remaining on the line.  

A special congratulations to Hector Fuego for passing his IIT2 PC! 

The weather was perfect, the range is a great place to shoot, and the help (and available hot lunch) from the range personnel combined to make for a perfect Appleseed.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the Appleseed Trail soon.

Persist!

MOGromit

HectorFuego

Glad to hear Matt made Rifleman.  He was on my side of the line both days so I got to do as much coaching with him as the lenght of the line would allow.  He had a great attitude, and it was a real pleasure to work with him.  Just about every other shot string, I took the opportunity to suggest that he get a sling, for his 10/22. ;D

Wish I could have seen him do it, but I had brought my nephew's step-son, Tyler, with me and had to get him back to civilization.  Incidently, he came mighty close to getting a patch with a 203 at the end of the day.  This was his second shoot, and he had improved dramatically as it progressed.  He is determined to get a patch, and (the good part) an orange hat at the next one.

Thanks to all who attended, and to the Red Hats who put up with this old-fat-bald-accountant from Kansas City for 2 whole days. 

As for everyone else, keep working on the 6 steps, NPOA, and promoting the program.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." Wayne Gretzky
"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin." My late dad, a Mariine veteran of the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Greg in MO

Beautiful weather and great shooters.  How can you beat that combination?

This was a great group that was eager to learn and went about it smiling the entire time.  Groups like this make it easy to be an instructor. 

Thanks to Gromit for running the shoot instead of me for a change.  It was nice to work the line instead of running everything, especially since I got to work with my lovely wife which is always a treat.

Thanks to all the shooters who came out.  I hope you enjoyed yourselves and learned something.  I know several of you were taking pictures so please post some up!

See you on the line!

Greg

Ladywolf

Congratulations to Matt, whom we missed seeing getting his patch. Well done!  Also congrats to HectorFuego!  We enjoyed meeting you all.  Wolfgang and I will be heading to the range this Saturday, for Pioneer's open house. The public is welcome to shoot that day. We'll be practicing and persisting with our new-found knowledge, thanks to all of you.   O0   Wolfgang found a smaller rifle he'd forgotten he had, when we got home. It fit me nicely, so I'm going to try it out this weekend. Looking forward to it, now that I spent two days recovering my strength and getting my joints back in shape. lol

Ladywolf

"If you don't use it, you lose it."

HectorFuego

Ladywolf,

It was great to meet you and Wolf.  Glad to see you taking an interest in Pioneer.  Are you considering a membership?  As a member myself, I'm sure they would be glad to have you.  Remember only one of you has to join, and the other can shoot as a guest.  It's a great place to practice the 6 steps, and NPOA.  That Rifleman's patch may only be a few thousand rounds away. ;D

Hector
"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin." My late dad, a Mariine veteran of the Battle of Iwo Jima.

libertyguild

Can someone tell me how and where to post the pictures I have?  Do I post them here under the AAR?  Is there a limit?

"Shooters!  Your preparation period has begun!"

Wolf54

Well, MOGromit, Greg in MO and Hector, thank you very much for a great weekend!
I was expecting having a good weekend, but this event exceeded my expectations. In one word: 'Excellent' !   O0

I learned a lot, and enjoyed the company of all the other shooters. Unfortunately I had to cut the Sunday short because I could feel every bone and every muscle in my body. Didn't know that the prone position gives you that good a workout....

Anyway, this Appleseed event was the first one for me but will not be the last one, for sure. I will persist and I will get my Rifleman patch. Hope to see you all soon again on one of the next events.

Thanks again to all instructors of Appleseed for a great job.

--
Wolf

RBelew

Just wanted to say thanks again for another great Appleseed.  Hats off to Gromit, Cookie Lady, Greg and Hector for running a great shoot.  I owe all the credit for shooting a rifleman score to you guys for your teaching skills and patience.  My brother Randy and I will be back again, hopefully with some other family members in tow.  Great job by everone on the history lessons.

Thanks Again,
Rick Belew

SebalLudington

I want to add my thanks to to MoGromit, or Mr. Gromit, Greg, CookieLady & Howard. You are all awesome! Your patience astounds me as I worked my way through 2 1/2 rifles this weekend. I figure only a half for taking the two apart and making a third out of it. Greybeard is right, like tinker toys! I LOVE it. I told in my board meeting tonight how CookieLady helped me by realizing my stock was too long, and then putting her finger on the stock and showing me how it needed to be padded. NOW I can get my NPOA and keep it. Denny & I shot for an hour last night at dusk (more challenge) and I am amazed how I'm getting nicer groups, and WHERE those groups are. Sure does make practice more fun! He bought me a nice bulk box of Federal, what a great hubby! I loved telling Sybil's story, and it meant so much to me that Cookie Lady asked, she will never know how much that meant. I'm going to put the pertinent dates in my phone, so if I ever get another chance, I will have more detail to give. Pioneer is awesome, the weather was superb and we were in the company of Patriots, how can it be better? Well, making rifleman, but sometimes enjoying the road to rifleman is the good thing to do too. Tomorrow I'm hitting walmart for laminating sheets so I can laminate my "pocket instructor". Pocket instructors don't grow on trees, so I want to be able to use mine in any weather and it hold up. Thank you again, for giving up your weekend to help us rediscover our heritage, and return to it. God bless.

Ladywolf

Hector, Wolfgang is up for membership the next meeting. I'm holding off for now, until I get a chance to do some shooting with him and see how I progress, but it's definitely a possibility. I thoroughly enjoyed Appleseed, and will be looking forward to the next one we can attend.  We'll be at the open house at Pioneer this weekend, too. Hope to see you then!  ^:)^

Ladywolf
"If you don't use it, you lose it."

HectorFuego

Ladywolf,

Only one of you needs to be a member.  The other shoots as a guest, as long as a member is there, too.  PM me if you have any questions, and I will do what I can to answer.

Hector

HectorFuego

Quote from: libertyguild on October 05, 2010, 09:19:07 PM
Can someone tell me how and where to post the pictures I have?  Do I post them here under the AAR?  Is there a limit?

You would post them in the AAR. 

The best way I've found to post a picture on a forum is to use Photobucket.  Setup an account with them (it's free), upload your pics, then copy and paste the img file or hyperlink file for each pic on the forum.

Here's the link to photobucket. http://photobucket.com/ 

There is at least one other site that operates like photobucket, but that's the one I use, and it seems to work okay for me.

Hector

libertyguild

Here are all my pics.  These were taken only on Sunday and then late in the day. 
Enjoy!

http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m544/libertyguild/

"Shooters!  Your preparation period has begun!"

HectorFuego

Great pics. O0  Thanks for posting.

Hector

MoYeo

Thank you MOGromit, Greg in MO and CookieLady for an outstanding weekend of history, instruction, encouragement and patience while providing a safe and family friendly shoot.  It was good to see you again Howard. And a nice job stepping up and persisting to Sheila.  This was our (me and my son) 2nd Appleseed.  I was determined to make Rifleman but couldn't seem to get past Sharpshooter.  (Camping out makes for a difficult Sunday AM session for this middle aged boy.)  However, I will be back.  I will also be spreading the Appleseed word and hope to bring my wife and daughters to a future shoot.  It was really inspiring to be on the line with so many fellow patriots.

Chris 

Johnnyappleseed

Looks like a nice successfull shoot Missori O0
Way to go ^5
JA

ps MOGrommit ---AZ missessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss  You LOL
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge