News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Atlanta, Indiana October 2-3, 2010

Started by yellowhousejake, October 04, 2010, 06:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

A tough shoot. Saturday started out very cold, windy, and raining. Here I still have suntan from very recent Appleseeds and now I was wearing my hoodie and poncho. We lost a few shooters who I very much hope to see again. Marty and Lauren, we missed you. Sunday was a beautiful day for shooting and learning history.

Dwight!  What an improvement since Cloverdale. Obviously you took what you learned and came back a safer and better shooter. Hope to see you again soon.

Chad kept everyone in hearing protection all weekend as he worked to master his M1A, and a beautiful thing it was too. You will get a rifleman score with it. ALL the instructors were jealous and hoped you forgot to pack it when you left, we would have taken good care of it for you...

Eric and Scott, both shot great targets, repeated them, and they took home patches for their efforts. Indiana got the better end of the deal, as they left behind instructor contracts. You will both be valuable instructors and I look forward to working with you.

Jessica Jessica Jessica... You never said you wanted to interview me! uh ummm uh, oh... I hope you got something useful on tape. We all got to watch you make wonderful, smooth, safe transitions to sitting. You made it look easy. You going to be the next in your family to get a 210?

Trinity, sore and moving slow, stayed with us all day through the rain and wind Saturday. I regret it took until Sunday to finally figure out what she needs to do to improve her shooting. But now you know, you have a great final target, and notes to study and practice with.

Elijah and Sam, Todd, coming back? I look forward to getting a chance to work with you all and see you on the line again.

Pictures are almost ready. Niecie?

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

AuntieBellum

No, I wasn't signed up to be there this weekend, but I was on my way back from a conference and couldn't help myself - I just had to stop in to take a peek.   ;)

And boy, am I glad I did!  What a fantastic group of Americans!  I was only there a couple of hours, but I can say that I certainly could tell that you all worked very, very hard this weekend!  

Dwight, as I said yesterday, it was great to see you back on the line.  You've worked super hard - keep it up, and you'll earn that patch before you know it!  And Chad, you're SO close.  Looking forward to seeing you back soon.  Scott and Eric (ok, that was weird - Scott and Dad  ;D), congrats!  I look forward to seeing you both in some orange headgear!  And Jessica - fantastic at a 182!  Now we'll just have to see if you get that patch next or if Taylor or Mom will beat you to it.   >:D  Trinity - it was great to meet you, and I look forward to running into you again soon!  And, of course, always good to see Niecie and YHJ - you both work so very hard for this program and are so very kind.  Thanks for taking my husband in again this weekend since I deserted him and left him to fend for himself.  Speaking of, Rimshot, you did a great job on your benediction.  I was super upset to miss you give the 3rd strike, but I'm guessing there will be many, many more opportunities for me to catch it in the future.

And now some pictures from the last couple of hours of the weekend.

Chad and Dwight working through the AQT grind:

YHJ does more than just instruct - he's a human brass catcher, too.  What won't he do for Appleseed?

Jessica after another one of her famously flawless and speedy transitions:

Rimshot giving the benediction:

YHJ congratulating Chad on his super-close score (a 203, IIRC):

Oh, and what's this?  A video camera?  It looks like Eric, aka Stubborn Yankee, is in the spotlight.   8)  Might there be more Appleseed news coverage in the future???  What does that fleece say - UIndy TV?  Sounds like a college to me...interesting...
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Niecie

What an amazing weekend! Thank you to all that stuck it out through the rain, wind, and ick.  Those that could not stay, we really REALLY hope you come back. There is bound to be some better weather still this Fall. In spite of the weather, there is not a better way to spend a weekend IMO  :)

Here are some photos from this weekend:

Smaller groups allow LOTS of personal instruction.

YHJ and Trinity

Rimshot and Dwight

SPQR and Marty

Marty and Lauren toughing out the rain

Gettin' down in the muck - and lovin' every minute of it!

Jessica filming for UofI news. Thanks Jessica  O0

A break in the rain...

Best looking boots on the line...

See how happy they make Jessica, even on a rainy day?

Perfect form Eric!

Scott shooting some awesome off-hand groups!

Chad and the BIG BOOM! Everyone had rifle envy ;D

More of that personal instruction...

Shooters prepare 2 mags with 2 and 8...

A much brighter Sunday, even though it was still chilly.

This is how Chad started his Sunday...Nice job!

Eric and Trinity working on ball and dummy.

Scott and Eric are congratulated for shooting Rifleman, AND taking Orange hats. Welcome to both of you! You will both be a fantastic addition to Indiana's superb instructor core (no bias here  ^-^)

A fine group of Americans!

See you all soon,

Niecie

Niecie

I love this program and how it brings folks together. I love getting to see my new friends and get to make new ones at every shoot. It is always fascinating to see folks that did not know each other Saturday morning exchanging contact info by Sunday afternoon.

Great to see Rimshot and Auntiebellum and I am sure you are SO proud of your wonderful family. You all are awesome! (PS you guys are always welcome to stay ;)

Great to see Trinity on the line (you are gonna get that scope and slam that AQT), as well as some other familiar faces from other Appleseeds (Great job Dwight)

SPQR....Sorry to steal your thunder  ^:)^  But you can be a blue hat too!

Everyone was such a joy to share the weekend with - thank you !!

Niecie

Rimshot

Quote from: Niecie on October 04, 2010, 10:50:34 PM

Rimshot and Dwight
Great Googly-Moogly!  I swear I'm talking about cheek weld, not nose picking!

Seriously, though.  Awesome shoot.  Yeah, Saturday's weather was pretty uncomfortable, but we got a lot done and saw some great shooting by the end of the day.  I promise to never neglect to bring my big canopy again!  Thanks to YHJ and Niecie for their hospitality two weekends running.  Atlanta CC has some very nice 25 yd. facilities and it's been a pleasure to instruct there.  Congrats to our new instructors - I think you will be great.  Finally, a special thanks to Elijah and Sam for coming out and getting a super-short taste of what we are about.  The experience for many shooters is like drinking from a fire hose but for you guys it was more like drinking from a waterfall.  You two were just awesome to work with and I'd like to think the instruction we did make it through is of benefit to you.  I hope to see you guys on the line for a full shoot soon!
"Hearing the story of our Heritage told with just dry facts is like hearing Romeo & Juliet through autopsy reports." - Fred

"In 1775, to protect Liberty a man had to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come die with me?"  In 2012, to protect Liberty a man has to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come vote/attend a public meeting/work at a poll with me?"  Jason Russell, and men and women like him, are the reason have a easier task in 2012. The question is, are we up to it?" - YHJ

Stubborn Yankee

Amazing weekend!  Yea, Saturday was pretty tough weather but next time I will come more prepared; need to put that Boy Scout training and experience to work.  Thanks a lot for letting me use your rifles, Robb!  That 30 cal. was sure a lot of fun!  Great bunch of people at these Appleseeds; it is very obvious that when the instructors say check your ego at the door, they practice what they preach.  Impressive 3rd strike, Robb!  Looking forward to hearing your 1st and 2nd strike.  Great form, Jessica!  I tried to beat you into position but couldn't do it.  You might have been a bit disappointed with your 1st AQT but it had one of the best off-hand targets of the weekend and then progressing to a 182 on subsequent targets; won't be long before you are shooting rifleman scores!  I am looking forward to putting on an orange hat and doing what I can to help out!

AuntieBellum

Stubborn Yankee, I think you'll quickly find that your "what to pack for the next Appleseed" list will continue to grow and grow and grow...   :o

I thought after my first two Appleseeds about all the things I could have brought along and about how unprepared I was - but I continue to find things that could be helpful as the weather changes and as I run into new situations.  So no worries, just when you think you've thought of everything, something new will pop up!  In fact, just the other day I thought of the Winterseeds coming up and bought some 2 for $1 stretchy gloves just perfect for cutting the tips off.  Luckily I broke a finger last winter and found the need then for mittens, so I'll slip those on over the top and be good to go!   ;D

And for any new Appleseeders out there, don't worry about having all of the right gear, etc.  We're pretty good about loaning out our stuff and sharing to help everyone get the job done, hence why our lists get so long.  We're all friends here, and we all want to see everyone do the best they can and have a good time.   O0

Jay Pea

Hey everyone!

Here is a short version of the video (without graphics) from this past week. There will be a longer/better video after I get more footage/interview from the Marion County Appleseed. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C77-T0GY-CY

Niecie

AWESOME!! Thank you so much for doing this.  I can't wait to see the entire video O0

Great to see you this past weekend, too! You will be shooting expert in no time!

Niecie

AuntieBellum

FANTASTIC!  I can't wait to see the finished video, Jess.  Great job - thanks for all of your hard work and for lending your expertise.   :D

Stubborn Yankee

Impressive editing of that video JP.  Looking forward to the full version!

Stubborn Yankee

OhmsLaw

Awesome Job Jay Pea!  Cant wait to see the final product.  Also cant wait to see you with your rifleman's patch.  You are getting close!
Ohmslaw(appleseed)/Peashooter(ingo)/Scott(Reality)
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." - George Washington

Jay Pea

Here's the final/extended version of the video! I'm going to also edit the section from our actual newscast with the anchors introducing the package/telling the viewers how to get involved. Once I have that, I'll upload that as well. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtNKErcRjVk

AuntieBellum

Quote from: Jay Pea on November 30, 2010, 02:06:08 PM
Here's the final/extended version of the video! I'm going to also edit the section from our actual newscast with the anchors introducing the package/telling the viewers how to get involved. Once I have that, I'll upload that as well. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtNKErcRjVk

Woot!  LOOOVVEEE it!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  We'll get a blue hat on you yet.   ;)

Questions:
1) Did you get the okay from your news station for us to use the video for our own promotional purposes?
2) I'm super eager to hear what the anchors did.  I'm wondering if it would also be beneficial to add just a screen at the end with contact information.  It could be as simple as:
Project Appleseed
www.appleseedusa.org
3) Are you just as cool as your fans say you are?   ;D

yellowhousejake

Wonderful, thank you very much. The video looks great. Did you get a good grade?

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Niecie

WOW!!! That is so awesome! Great job editing, too. LOVE IT!

Thank you so much, JayPea! You are a gem. See you soon!

Niecie