Author Topic: Promo Team Members  (Read 2955 times)

Offline spitstickler

• designated Shoot Boss
Promo Team Members
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:12:14 PM »
Welcome to the Promotions Board.  Please read the Mission Statement that you will find below.  If you have any suggestions or would like to help on a Promotions project, please contact the Team Leader.

Thank you,
The Promotions Team

Team Leader:
Devnull

Members:
Castle Mountain
CortJestr
Evenstar
Hoover
ItsanSKS
Oleg Volk
Scuzzy
spitstickler
TN_Dadx5
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:14:19 PM by TruTenacity »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Offline TruTenacity

• Shoot Boss
  • Proverbs 15:1
Re: Promo Team Members
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:23:03 PM »
Any of you want to PM me your answer to this question so I can post it on the Master FAQ list?

How do I increase the number of shooters at my events?

Thanks,
TruT
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Offline Fred

• Master Instructor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:38:45 AM »
Any of you want to PM me your answer to this question so I can post it on the Master FAQ list?

How do I increase the number of shooters at my events?Thanks,
TruT

Nearly two months has gone by, since that post was made.

I'm willing to bet TruT never got a PM with the answer to that question.

I'm almost willing to bet no one read it and remembered it more than 30 seconds.

Even tho this is the key challenge we face in this program.

In other words, if no one thought about promotions having anything to do with filling slots on the firing line before TruT made this post, this was an opportunity to start thinking about it.

Better - much better! - to start doing something about it.

How about another no-brainer? If you're on WL-X Promotions, and you're not doing a thing - why are you on WL-X Promotions?

I don't say this to get anyone mad - and certainly don't say it to anyone who has been working - but I say it because, while too many WL-X Promotions people are doing nothing in promotions to fill firing line slots, the ship is sinking.

Is there no urgency about this?

Can we not analyze the problem, come up with some possible actions to take to handle each aspect we analyze the problem into, and then see some progress made?

This is not about Fred, and any snit he may have - in which case you'd have the opportunity to "show him" by walking off the program.

This is about a great country and heritage you are about to lose.

And why will it be lost?

Because too many people are doing too little - including too many people here on WL-X Promotions.

It's a shame, isn't it...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"We had no more deadly enemy than divisiveness..."  Wm Brinkley, The Last Ship

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Offline dragonfly

• Senior Instructor-RBC/IBC
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 11:54:24 AM »
       I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure this one out for more than a year now. I thought maybe if I could get fellow Appleseeder's to tell me what got them to their first Appleseed we could get some idea's. Check it out: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=17338.0 . It seems that the best way to promote Appleseed is the low tech method, and it usually takes multiple contacts. It is not only rewarding but interesting to see how many shooters bring more shooter's, and they bring more shooter's, and the program grows.
       I can not stress enough the importance for the SB to include this promotion in their benediction. TPI, point at folks, name names Eric you bring someone to your next Appleseed Karl you bring someone, share your experience with other's, it is the fastest way you can help save our country. We have had Appleseeder's bring 5,6,10, as many as 12 new shooter's to an Appleseed.

If we are going save our country we had better get to work now on promotions  &) . This is the most important part of APPLESEED , If we don't get more shooter's the rest is a waste of time.
Appleseed's should be sold out. Shooter's should be looking for Appleseed's, not Appleseed's looking for shooter's. If your Appleseed's are sold out, GREAT :bow: ! Tell us how you do it ?

dragonfly       Keeping the Faith one new Appleseeder at a time  O0
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Offline Fred

• Master Instructor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 07:40:29 PM »

Tell us how you do it ?

I don't know it will ever be that easy. No one has told us to date, and since there is not the slightest hint anyone will tell us in the future, looks like we will have to figure it out for ourselves.

In the past few years, it's become clear "simply getting the word out" about Appleseed is not the magic solution - last year, over 100,000 nationwide brochures were printed and handed out, 1.XX million readers of the NYT Mag heard of us, and millions saw us on Fox News.

We've handed out 100,000-plus (maybe as many as 200,000) SWAT reprints in this program - and the California R/P Assoc sent another 100,000-plus to their membership (with no noticeable 'bump' on CA AS firing lines!).

We have billboards up in two states (very soon about to be three) which are seen hundreds of thousands of times a week - and no noticeable 'bump' in firing line traffic at Appleseeds in those states.

Which may explain why low-tech, one-person-to-another seems so far to be so effective - to the bare "here's the word about AS" is often added an extra 'personal' push which could explain the effectiveness of such direct marketing.

It's entirely likely that as we continue to push AS in many and multiple markets via billboards, handouts, and other advertising, something will click, and the firing lines will fill.

But until that happens - and because of the uncertainty of it happening - we need to not miss any opportunity we can think of.

Which means we need to "analyze the problem, come up with some possible actions to take to handle each aspect we analyze the problem into, and then see some progress made" - which is NOT what I see happening, to date, on WL-X Promotions.

And as a result, we are missing many opportunities we shouldn't be missing - and really can't afford to miss.

So, here on WL-X Promotions, what are we to do?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"We had no more deadly enemy than divisiveness..."  Wm Brinkley, The Last Ship

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Offline MacMcM

• Shoot Boss
  • Beckley Ten-Three-Ten
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »
TruT,
Here in the WV neck-o-the-woods, we have worked gun shows until we were blue in the face with little production of numbers. Mass emails to various gun organizations members do somewhat better, but we get a better response from FTF handshakin at shooting matches. And it hasn't matttered pistol or rifle matches. We no longer set up tables at gunshows... A real time waster around these parts.

That's my contribution

Mac
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:01:08 PM by MacMcM »
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
  • And the band played on.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:19:57 PM »
If anyone missed it, Indiana is shifting its promotional model and it might be worth discussion here.

Happy new year everyone!

A full year of our conquer the World promo effort has ended and I have made some observations on our efforts. For those who do not know the Indiana promo effort for 2010 consisted of a full pres kit to all the major news markets in Indiana last January. We then sent a press release announcing each shoot to all markets four weeks in advance. Those press releases were followed with a second press release describing the shoot within a day after the AAR went public. My wife and I made two trips around the state posting fliers, driving hundreds of miles, and mailing stacks of fliers. None were mentioned in event questionnaires.

IMO, the promo effort failed.

We saw limited attention from the press, even though we sent out over a hundred press releases and 30 press kits. The ONE good thing that came from the promo effort was a personal interview of Hawkhavn by his local paper after training the NG in GA. That press release was a good thing, and I learned from it.

----------------

My findings, opinion.

I feel fliers are of limited use. Yes we should keep doing them, they provide a visibility we need, but they do not fill the lines, they never will IMO.

Contacting the press is like tossing a Skittle into a playground ball pit. We get lost in the abundance of similar things. Everyone wants state and national exposure and that leaves us in competition with every event/organization/cause in existence.

News (papers, radio, tv) exist ONLY to sell advertising. A sad fact I know, but it is true. The news that is published is only that which the editors feel will attract audience. The public need is not considered above the need for market share. So once we get their attention, the depth of that attention is given only with regards to the potential of increased readership/viewership.

---------------

So what do we do, lessons learned?

We have to find a new approach, we have to make the news want us, make them feel we are something worthy of their attention. Forget the saving a nation, forget the international news, forget doubling every year. We make it personal.

Grass roots.

I propose we start with the smallest news markets we can find. We begin by making all our contacts to the news organizations that serve under 10,000 subscribers. The rural newspapers and small AM radio stations are the ones desperate for new news, something that cannot be read or heard from the big market leaders.

We befriend them, we get our name known in the local diner (where people still talk about the feature story in the small local paper over breakfast), we make Appleseed a well known word in Winimac, Bluffton, Bloomfield, Petersburg, and Versailles. Then we move on to Crawfordsville, Seymour, and Rensselaer. Eventually Ft. Wayne and Indianapolis will no longer be able to ignore us.

I would like to see, this year, the following goals met. THIS is Indiana's new promo plan.

1) We begin posting fliers in every small town we pass through. Instructors should have fliers in their cars at all times. Laundry Mats, Diners, Gas stations. I will announce a contest for Indiana Staff. The person who posts the most fliers by New years 2011 gets a prize, a real prize, something of value. How about  $75 dinner for two at any restaurant in Indiana, the SC is buying.

2) I want to see every member of Indiana Staff have a write up in their local paper.

3) I want Techres to be on a small AM station. We should concentrate on the towns already hosting Appleseeds. Ideally I want him or someone like him, ATM?, in the little radio trailer during a county fair calling the calf judging as a celebrity guest (I am serious here).

4) I want at least four reporters shooting at an Appleseed this year.

It sounds like a step back I know, but, I think a half page article in twenty small papers across Indiana will do more to fill the lines than one paragraph on page nine of the Indy Star, simple as that. (and we will have to scratch and claw to get that paragraph)

At this point, after much thought, personal debate, and wringing of hands, I think it is a good plan. I am open to suggestions, ridicule, condemnation.

Yellowhousejake
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Offline Cooper

• designated Shoot Boss
  • I once was many things, but now I am only several.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 09:39:09 PM »
I totally agree.

This not REALLY a step back, it is a step TOWARD venues that carry the message to the people.  To folks like US.

The radio MSM, just like television, newspapers and magazines, exists only to sell OUR attention to advertisers.  It is a business, not the public service they would like you to believe it is.  We must address this at a PERSONAL level.  Not a vague "can you shoot accurately?", but rather "can you defend your family if needed?"

With a message that does not generate advertising dollars, we can only succeed by generating the person-to-person messages that our society lacks and craves.  We can only succeed by educating those with whom we interact that our nation will collapse without THEIR input into the governing of our nation.   "A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves."

Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Offline TruTenacity

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 12:07:13 AM »
Thanks for bringing my nearly two-month-old question up front and center here, Fred.

This is what the Master FAQ will look like.

How do I increase the number of shooters at my events?

Promote, promote, and promote some more.

Frequency, consistency and volume. That's how you get shooters to the line.
   This takes immense energy and time.

Ideas:
       - Get events on community calendars
       - Send letters to non-profit radio stations for free announcements on their community announcements
       - Write letters to the editor
       - Post on Craigslist under events and sports
       - Gun shows
       - Industry trade shows
       - Contact home school associations

- Matches: IDPA, USPSA, Smallbore, Service rifle, Highpower
         Contact your local ranges, and find out when these matches are happening.  Go and take fliers
         and a small table.  Talk to the shooters.  Pass out the info.  Be prepared to talk a lot about the program.
         These are shooters, and they're going to be curious as to what it's all about.  Most of them are going to
         LOVE the concept.  Most of them will have never heard of Appleseed.  Those that have, will have had
         absolutely no idea that they're happening in their area.  

- Clubs not only have mailing lists to their members, but many clubs in one region may belong to a local
         association of gun clubs which also has a newsletter. Contact college and university rifle clubs to start
         partnerships and get on their mailing lists. Know the local 2A groups in your state and get on their mailing
         lists. etc. etc. etc.

- Flyers:
         Black and white flyer available for download for each event found in the Appleseed Event Info board and/or
         the national glossy tri-fold (w/AS schedule inserted).  Post these in every gun store, community bulletin
         board, army/navy store, etc.  check the supply frequently and refreshed as needed.

- Facebook and Twitter
         Post upcoming events, links to AARs, and major national Appleseed news. While the following may be small,
         the impact is much greater as these folks share these links on their Facebook pages and Twitter feeds.
         Every impression about Appleseed makes is a huge benefit to the program.

- Email Newsletter
         At every Appleseed shoot, the SB should collect email addresses making certain to be explicit about telling
         shooters that emails will not be disclosed to anyone else. Send a newsletter out after each shoot to get
         folks to view the AAR as well as update them on the next Appleseed event and other news.
         (CortJestir has been using a service called CampaignMonitor.com to manage the email addresses and
         newsletters.)

- Online Gun Forum/Community Posts
         This is, perhaps, the best source of advertising and promotion, but it is very difficult to achieve good results
         because you must have created a "reputation" on the the boards before you begin posting. You don't want
         to be seen as a spammer and you definitely want to contribute to the online community in other ways before
         you begin posting about Appleseed. Post on national forums (TheFiringLine.com, AR15.com, TheHighRoad.org,
         rimfirecentral.com) and local boards.

- Get other people to promote for you / Partner with 2nd Amendment groups
         Find out who the big folks in the 2nd Amendment community are in your state and see if they will include
         AS events in their email and paper newsletters.  Find a local Citizen's Defense League that may be willing
         to include Appleseed schedules in their newsletters.

- Good ol' Fashioned 7th Stepping.
         No need to explain this one. Hopefully you'll get some passionate folks who will bring others to the line

CortJester and siglite helped me out.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:04:38 PM by TruTenacity »
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Offline Mark Davis

• designated Shoot Boss
  • AKA Clodhopper
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 01:07:57 AM »
I have no magic bullet, before appleseed appeared I spent 15 years promoting smallbore silhouette in my area.
very few people came out, of those that did even fewer ever came back, I think because silhouette is a very difficult game.
Appleseed is diffrent, the marksmanship requirements are quite a bit easyer to satisfy.
The history is an attraction.
The instruction is an attraction, and a repellent to those who "know how to shoot" unfortanatly every one in Montana was born with an unexplainable (and undemonstratable) ability to shoot.
On the up side two sisters in law of mine told me over Christmas that they really want to attend, this came as suprise to me, but after many exposures they do want to see what it's about.

Offline TruTenacity

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 12:37:10 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post with this idea ...

I was wondering if AS postcards might be a way to promote the program.

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 12:45:13 AM »
Yes.  It could be used with ranges as well as gun stores, individuals, and as a followup to previous attendees.

I like it!

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post with this idea ...

I was wondering if AS postcards might be a way to promote the program.

Offline The Machine

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 02:53:03 AM »
In regards to the original topic "How do I increase the number of shooters at my events?", I don't know the "magic bullet". I think a lot of this is region or locality specific, IMO. What works in one area might be totally ineffective somewhere else. At least that's what I've observed from personal experience in my home state and reading this forum for the last 2+ years. It seems that talking to people face-to-face works the best across the board. I just don't think it's being done enough. Actually, if only 1-2 people in an entire state are doing the bulk of promoting--even a highly effective method--the numbers of shooters at events will probably not increase much, if at all.

Addendum: I have made it a point to ask everyone at an event where they heard about AS from. I also ask them what motivated them to attend the event. Making notes of the responses, and then looking for trends, should help tailor your local promo efforts. Build upon the strengths and minimize the weaknesses...another obvious "old school" principle.  :)

Most of what is posted above is like deja vu to me, since I've seen different incarnations of these ideas over the years on this forum. Some of the suggestions actually turned into "projects" on the WL-1/WL-2 boards. The post card idea that you mentioned TT was being fleshed-out right after the forum remodel over a year ago; configured into a quick "5 min. letter" format. If anyone does a search they should be able to find it. I think all of these suggestions are good ideas and shouldn't be abandoned. I also think if the "magic bullet" will be found, it will be located "outside the box"...just sayin'.

I had one idea that I'll toss out here for consideration. It can be moved to another thread if anyone wants to pursue it. I can't remember if printing and distributing an AS calender was ever suggested? I was thinking each month could have a different target of some sort at the top section, above the lower date section. In addition, some infamous revolution era quotes interspersed throughout. Maybe highlight special yearly AS events under their corresponding dates; i.e. "Patriot's Day", "Waterman 300", etc. We could even incorporate some kind of voucher(s) within the calendar, as an incentive to attend an AS.

Perhaps we could offer them for sale online through the AS Store. Making them available for purchase at public venues such as Tea Party gatherings; competition shoots; gun shows; fairs/festivals; etc. is worth considering.

Something we are going to try out in WV this year is getting people to sign-up for an event, or at least a RWVA membership, in "real time" at various competition shoots. I think adding one of these calendars to the transaction would generate more interest: "Purchase a RWVA membership right now and receive one of our AS calendars"; "As a thank you for pre-paying to attend one of our events, here's an AS calendar".

Some more food for thought...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:45:21 AM by The Machine »
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

Offline smwwoody

• BUCKINGHAM THREE-OH-NINE
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 09:10:01 AM »
I have been beating my head against a wall also with this problem. I promote at other shooting events. This sparks great interest,  but very little actual turnout.

I research this to see what the problem is and find out that eventbrite is turning these people away telling them that our events are sold out when they are not. I do a little more research and find out that this was happening at most every event in Virginia.

I try to fix this problem and go to "national" with it. I am told that eventbrite is the best we can do and why am I trying to cause problems. They even mocked me and implied that I was dumb and must have want us to go back to the old mail in registration that almost crippled AS a few years ago.

Next I ty to fix the eventbrite problem myself since national told me that it was the best that was available. I recruited the GM of the company that handles all credit card transactions for Wal-Mart. He offers to set up and run for free our own registration. He had all ready shot 3 appleseeds and got his patch. I tried to give him an orange hat but he said teaching was not for him he woiuld rather help the cause through saving us money and making our registration work right. He was rudely turned away by national and I was told that he may not be as dedicated to the cause as was needed to help

So. Why would I try to promote any harder when I can't get any help getting these new people to the line?

I know that I will be told the only problem here is my ego. Or that I am from Virginia and all VA instructors have a problem with authority. I assure you that is not the problem here.

Woody                 
Fixing some of the holes in your bucket first can make bailing easier

Our children should be taught how to think, not what to think....

KJ4WXC

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 12:01:40 PM »
smwwoody,

PM sent for more info.

Techres

Offline smwwoody

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 08:37:39 PM »
Does anyone want to discuss the real problem I am talking about?  eventbrite.....  Or is it just going to get ignored like every time i bring it up?

Promoting events that people are just turned away from when the event is not really sold out is a BIG WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woody

KJ4WXC

Offline Western Rose

• RWVA Instructor
  • Appleseed Admin.
  • Proud To Be His Wife
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 08:42:57 PM »
I research this to see what the problem is and find out that eventbrite is turning these people away telling them that our events are sold out when they are not. I do a little more research and find out that this was happening at most every event in Virginia.   

Woody,

Would you please let me know when this happens next? I have some access on eventbrite and maybe I'll be able to see what the problem is from that side of things.

Thanks,
WR
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:00:01 PM by Western Rose »
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 09:01:15 PM »
Does anyone want to discuss the real problem I am talking about?  eventbrite.....  Or is it just going to get ignored like every time i bring it up?

Promoting events that people are just turned away from when the event is not really sold out is a BIG WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woody

Woody, I sent you a PM asking for info so that I could help you.  I did so privately so that we could speak more clearly.  I also did so to fix problems. 

That is not the action of someone who is ignoring you.  However, I need more info so that we can fix the problem.  Please turn down the volume so that we can get your concern addressed.

Techres

Offline smwwoody

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »
WR

It was coming from the people paying for memberships and being counted twice.  Once for the membership and once for the actual event.

Here is a link to one of the other times I tried to bring this up and was mocked and made out to be .....   http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=17564.0

the posts that were not trying to help the problem but were there to tell me how wrong i was and how many problems i was causing have magically disappeared but I guess that is how it goes now.  It seems like this has turned into lets see who can get in trouble for what or who is going to get banned for what and the mission has been pushed to the back seat.  

Thanks

Woody

KJ4WXC

Offline smwwoody

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 09:15:10 PM »
Techres

I have tried to get it addressed at least 5 times and every time i was told to turn down the volume and it never got any further.

I really don't care who said what to who.  I just want to see the registration problem fixed.

we are all adults here and we should be able to look past some ill spoken words and keep bailing.

we don't need to be told how bad we are being  we just need to get to work on making appleseed as good as we can.

why should we work on promoting events when we cant even get people who want to be there signed up because of a registration glitch. Commin sense says you fix the reg. problem first then work on promoting harder.

Woody

KJ4WXC

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
It seems like this has turned into lets see who can get in trouble for what or who is going to get banned for what and the mission has been pushed to the back seat.  

Thanks

Woody

Ummm.... no.  SMWoody, again, I asked you directly for more info so I could try and make a helpful fix.  I did so privately so you could cut loose if need be.  You PM'ed me back explaining your frustration and pointing me to this thread.  I was looking into it when you took this thread in the direction of something completely else.

If you want to talk about evenbright, then we can and once I understand the problem, I will look for a fix.

If you want to use this to talk about something else, then perhaps this is not what you are really wanting to talk about.

I am interesting in helping you solve the problem you report having.  So, again, let's stick with your problem and see if we can actually fix it.  

If you have a specific problem with a particular individual in the program, please take it directly to them and see if you can work it out - just like we would do on the line.  If that is not possible, then take it to your SC, RC (siglite?), or Hawkhavn.  If none of that is possible, please go to Fred.  

But let's really stick as best we can to problem solving because that is the only way anything is gonna get better...

Thanks,
Techres

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 09:24:41 PM »
Techres

I have tried to get it addressed at least 5 times and every time i was told to turn down the volume and it never got any further.

I really don't care who said what to who.  I just want to see the registration problem fixed.

we are all adults here and we should be able to look past some ill spoken words and keep bailing.

we don't need to be told how bad we are being  we just need to get to work on making appleseed as good as we can.

why should we work on promoting events when we cant even get people who want to be there signed up because of a registration glitch. Commin sense says you fix the reg. problem first then work on promoting harder.

Woody

Except I have never seen this problem in Indiana or heard about it elsewhere so I need to know more.  I have not ridiculed you or mocked you, ever.  I have not ignored you, ever.  I have always tried to help you.

I am trying again to the best of my ability, so please, help me help you.

Oh, and as for ill spoken words, being asked to turn down the volume is exactly what I expect anyone to say to me when I speak them too. 

We need to promote in every state.  And if we have a problem in a few states with evenbrite we will get it fixed too.  One does not preclude the other and both need addressed.

Shall we open a new thread to give the evenbright issue the individual attention it needs?

Techres

Offline smwwoody

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 09:51:16 PM »
Techres

My Ill spoken words comment was not directed at you it was about words I have spoken and have had spoken to me.

I think you are wrong one does preclude the other.  you can promote all you want and if event brite turns them away you need to fix the root of the problem first.

we should open a new thread to discuss this further,  but i have tried to discuss this in more than one thread all ready  I will dig up the links to the other 3 or 4 threads where it was all ready discussed and forgot about.

Can you see where my frustration is coming from?

I have no individual problems with people in this program

I am not a bad guy

Woody

KJ4WXC

Offline smwwoody

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 10:01:05 PM »
sometimes if you patch the hole in the bottom of the sinking boat first it makes the bailing much easier.

KJ4WXC

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 10:02:06 PM »
I started a thread here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19922.0

Let me know if you can or cannot see it.  It is up on IT because this seems to be an IT issue.  If you cannot see it, I will move it.

WR, can you see it too?

If so, let's let the promo guys and gals do their thing and let's see what we can to do fix a problem, and with it a frustration.

Techres

Techres

My Ill spoken words comment was not directed at you it was about words I have spoken and have had spoken to me.

I think you are wrong one does preclude the other.  you can promote all you want and if event brite turns them away you need to fix the root of the problem first.

we should open a new thread to discuss this further,  but i have tried to discuss this in more than one thread all ready  I will dig up the links to the other 3 or 4 threads where it was all ready discussed and forgot about.

Can you see where my frustration is coming from?

I have no individual problems with people in this program

I am not a bad guy

Woody

Online jmdavis

• Ramseur IBC 1108
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 10:44:54 PM »
AS an SC, and SB I have experienced the sold out shoots issue a number of times. Here in Virginia and in MD. Examples, Black Creek in Dec 2010, Annapolis in April, Va Beach in April.  In each case we were sellout and and people turned away. In fact the only full line this year was in July in Ramseur. Black Creek was close though. I know about the problem having happened at Buckingham as well.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 10:49:03 PM »
jmdavis,

Can you see the thread here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19922.0

I took the thread over there to stop an unintentional threadjacking of this one.

Let me know if you cannot see the new thread,
Techres

AS an SC, and SB I have experienced the sold out shoots issue a number of times. Here in Virginia and in MD. Examples, Black Creek in Dec 2010, Annapolis in April, Va Beach in April.  In each case we were sellout and and people turned away. In fact the only full line this year was in July in Ramseur. Black Creek was close though. I know about the problem having happened at Buckingham as well.

Mike

Offline Mark Davis

• designated Shoot Boss
  • AKA Clodhopper
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 12:10:26 AM »
Last week I emailed the local morning talk radio host on Wednesday and again on Thursday, no response. Friday morn I was in the radio station office five minutes before they start playing a national talk show. Told the receptionist I would like a minute with the host once he put rush on, small talking with the receptionist she said she wanted to shoot.
I gave her a fl yer and light verbal outline of our program.
Former State senator who was being interviewed that morning came out I started on him, we have met before, reminded of the time he said yes you were with Montana rifle and Pistol association! Yes, now it's appleseed, He wanted some flyer's and the receptionists copied some for him.
The talk show host came out. He had MT Shooter on the air last year prior to 4-19.
I started on him.
He said "sorry I didn't get back to you"  "well you're busy" but told him I needed 20 minute segments, up to 6 of them to tell the story MT shooter had started last spring.
Offered to tell only part of the story if time was tight, offered to be on at 7AM to let him judge the content and quality.
He said he would call, but I plan to catch him at the studio again soon.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:13:24 AM by clodhopper »

Offline Devnull

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »
sometimes if you patch the hole in the bottom of the sinking boat first it makes the bailing much easier.

Folks, we are not going to discuss this on the promo board.

Why should we work harder at promotions? Because we have a nation to save and if we cannot get people to the shoots we cannot tell them the message.

Are there problems in the program? Sure. No one is perfect. But why are you bringing this up on the promo board?

If you have issues with any of this please contact me via PM. I will not allow the promo board to turn into a place for people to complain and try to stir up trouble. Take it elsewhere. We have work to do on this board and trying to fight some perceived fight isn't going to get our job of promoting appleseed done.

Tech problems go to the tech folks. Admin problems and personality conflicts etc need to be passed up the food chain via your regular route. SB, SC, admin folks, advisory committee and then perhaps Fred himself.

There is too much work to get done for us to tolerate this in-fighting. Contact the right people, lodge your complaint/issue etc, propose some solutions and try to work together. If you cannot get any satisfaction through that route contact me and we can work together to find a way to resolve this issue.

Anything else not relating to promotions WILL be deleted from this board. PERIOD!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:32:28 PM by Devnull »
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

Offline Castle Mountain

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 05:39:58 PM »

What ever happened with this Mark? Does this story have a happy ending??

CM

Last week I emailed the local morning talk radio host on Wednesday and again on Thursday, no response. Friday morn I was in the radio station office five minutes before they start playing a national talk show. Told the receptionist I would like a minute with the host once he put rush on, small talking with the receptionist she said she wanted to shoot.
I gave her a fl yer and light verbal outline of our program.
Former State senator who was being interviewed that morning came out I started on him, we have met before, reminded of the time he said yes you were with Montana rifle and Pistol association! Yes, now it's appleseed, He wanted some flyer's and the receptionists copied some for him.
The talk show host came out. He had MT Shooter on the air last year prior to 4-19.
I started on him.
He said "sorry I didn't get back to you"  "well you're busy" but told him I needed 20 minute segments, up to 6 of them to tell the story MT shooter had started last spring.
Offered to tell only part of the story if time was tight, offered to be on at 7AM to let him judge the content and quality.
He said he would call, but I plan to catch him at the studio again soon.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen.”

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear."
~ Harry S. Truman (1884-1972), 33rd US