News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Evansville, IN Sept. 25/26, 2010

Started by sur+rifle, September 27, 2010, 12:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sur+rifle

This was a great shoot!  While the numbers on the line were low (6 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday) the shooters made up for it in enthusiasm.  Improvement was apparent all Saturday and by Sunday, we were seeing scores consistently rise into the 190s and 200s.  This culminated with the addition of our two newest riflemen, congratulations Dave and Brian!

<NOTE: high-res images attached in-case someone wants to download them.>

I have no doubt we would have had another riflewoman this shoot if it wasn't for equipment issues.  We experienced a freak windstorm which literally lifted the ground cover for the entire line throwing the rifles (which were safe), mats, etc up in the air!  I have never seen anything like it.  Some of the mats went over 30 feet up.  One of the casualties was that shooter Air's scope got torn off the receiver (stripped screws).  And after this, she went through several usually reliable loaners which also had problems!  Still, she persevered and was in the 190s but we simply ran out of AQT time.  She did do quite an impressive job on the 4 and 6 inch steel targets @ 100 yards during the KD portion which followed.

Another interesting thing was that every age generation was represented with the attendees running from 14 to 68!  Also we received some positive local press coverage of the event which should help fill the upcoming shoots (see: http://www.courierpress.com/news/2010/sep/26/shooting-instructors-aim-to-widen-scope).

Special thanks go to West, Mudcat, and XDMan who changed their plans at the last minute so as to instruct at this shoot.  It was very much appreciated, gentlemen!

air

My thanks to the instructors at this event. With much effort, they tried to instill the steps, but my brain would not convert information to action.  :wb: I PROMISE guys, I will get my rifle repaired and crawl around my house practicing until I get it right.  ++)

O2 CO2

sur+rifle

That's right, Air.  Get right on that dry practice.   &)

Seriously, you made good progress this weekend moving from 150s to 190's while getting used to the mechanics of four different rifles. I have no doubt that you will persist and earn that patch!

brianheeter

Thanks to Sur+, Mudcat, West and XDMan for your patience and giving attitudes.  The quality of instruction was very high.  Through sharing your knowledge you enabled me to be successful and that is greatly appreciated.  It was also obvious to me that the history is real for you guys.  It's not just a lecture that you give.  Thanks also to Mudcat for allowing me to put some rounds through his Garand.  Wheeeee!!!  I hope to cross paths with all of you in the future.

C ya,

brian

P.S.  Sorry for the lame screen name.  I was coming up with funny cowboy names all weekend (inspired by the Cowboy Action Shooters there on Saturday) but nothing came to mind this morning.
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!