News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Amarillo, TX AAR September 18-19,2010

Started by ashrn03, September 24, 2010, 12:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashrn03

Fifteen Appleseeders, more than half of them youth, began their Rifleman journey under warm and windy (i.e. normal) Panhandle conditions.  They learned about slings, positions, and the 6 steps.  Some learned to improvise (no sling swivels - use nylon filament tape), and most adapted and persevered.  The highest scores of the weekend were reported by repeat Appleseeder Owen who is ten years old.  His 226 didn't qualify for rifleman since he shot off sandbags for all stages, but it's an impressive performance for his second Appleseed.  His older brother Hunter, also a repeat Appleseeder, graduated off sandbags and shot all his AQT's using a sling and the required positions for the first time.  He was disappointed with his scores (180's) since he'd been shooting as well as his brother off sandbags, but he persevered and will undoubtedly be back.  As his Rifleman father said "That's what practice is for."

Here's the Saturday group photo:

The way to herd cats is to offer treats

Reddot

Paul,
Sounds like you all had a great shoot.  I remember Hunter and Owen from June--two very fine young men our country can be proud of.  You meet the very best people at Appleseeds O0
I'm looking forward to seeing you soon.
Chuck

Will

It was a great event as always- Safe, and educational both in terms of rifle marksmanship and our Heritage. We intend on making the October shoot.

I dunno if either of the boys will get much practice between now and then though. Owen did kill his first hog this weekend-175 pounder, Coal Black, good looking pig. Shot him through the ear at about 40 yards with an AR- never even kicked. How proud can a dad be?

Thanks for all your hard work in putting these shoots on!

Will