News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tucson Shooters check in here

Started by AZbinary, September 21, 2010, 08:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZbinary

Edited, 3 January '11:

We'll be out at the Southeast Regional Range Saturday morning, 8 Jan, from about 0800 to about 1000.  Come by and say hi!

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

azmule

There's myself and three of my coworkers - who I don't think follow this forum, but I can keep them up to date - who have been attending at Sierra Vista for the past year.  I've been shooting primarily at the Marksman and occasionally the county range at the fairgrounds - the other guys usually go to Three-points.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

AZbinary

were you guys at the Sierra Vista shoot last weekend?  If so, I wish we could've spoken a bit.  Anyway, I'm thinking about getting together at the southeast regional (by the fairgrounds) on a semi-regular monthly type basis to keep us all in practice.  I'd also like to get a Tucson Appleseed going, and could use some help and ideas along those lines too.

I'm TDY next week, so it'll have to be the first weekend in October earliest.

Thoughts?

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AmericanJoe

I would be very interested in any extra curricular activities.  Appleseed in Tucson would be much more convenient for myself and much less expensive.  I believe it would also generate a greater interest and a greater list of followers.
:---

azmule

All but one of us (who got stuck working both days) were there - we were introduced as fellow Tucsonans when I won the stack of AQTs in the "star" exercise on Sunday;  I'm the guy who always shows up on two wheels.

Practice sessions at the southeast sound great, I also still want to host a regular after-work LTR session at the Marksman if they ever get back to being open after work again.  But we need to be able to get the word out by means other than here, 'cause it looks like only about 4 or 5 Tucsonans actually come in here and read this stuff.  Flyers at the local gunshops?  Newspaper ads?  I remember the local smallbore rifle league in the town I grew up in running newspaper ads that featured a circle the size of the standard 50ft 10-ring (0.20 or .25 dia. I think?) with the words: "Are you able to hit this circle at 50ft?" "Would you like to?"

azmule

Joe - are you the Joe who was on the line next to me in April who was also there this weekend?  Impressive improvement for a few months' practice!

AZbinary

Ah yes!

Now I can place a face with a name...or nickname.

As far as getting the word out, this event will be more akin to just friends practicing between Appleseeds, and since we aren't planning to clear this through the range officials, we should probably keep this fairly intimate.  We are working to get a Tucson Appleseed venue, but right now, Sierra Vista remains the closest location.

Once Joe tightened that front sight, he really took off!

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

azmule

I'm sure it would be kosher for any fliers and newspaper/web ads to refer people only to the appleseedinfo.org website - which is the *important* thing after all.  Would it be ok to announce informal Tucson practice dates at the Sierra Vista shoots at least until we get a Tucson Appleseed rolling?

And speaking of which - what facility are you looking at?  I'm assuming that Three-points would probably be our only option, as I'm sure either county range would be unwilling to reserve all or part of the line during peak public use hours, and I've been told (but haven't yet verified) that the range in Catalina has been lately taking a hypersensitive view toward liability issues and enacting rules that would make an Appleseed event all but impossible.  But that's from a friend who recently dropped a very long-standing membership there in disgust, it might just be sour-grapes over something else - I haven't been up to that range myself in over 10 years. 

AZbinary

Well,

Three Points has a pretty full schedule already, I don't think we could get in there.  The Southeast regional, by the fairgrounds, has a new training range that is available for use, that's where I'm focusing my attention.

Again, since we aren't coordinating anything, I would hesitate to do anything like posting fliers about our extra curricular shooting.  I would prefer it stay as an event among friends until we can get something more formal arranged.
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

azmule

Very cool!  I didn't know there was a second range at SER.   O0  Much more convenient - Three-points is so far away it may as well be Sierra Vista.

BTW, at least two of our group are planning to join you at SER Saturday after next.

AZbinary

"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AppleseedShooter

In tucson as well, a local get together would be great~! Much better than lodging in Payson

slinged_in

I'm in for some extra- curricular shooting, and I live here in Tucson.  Attended the Sierra Vista shoot, and just came short of making Rifleman.  What times are you planning on meeting at the county range? 

As a side note, I've been trying to drag as many people as I can to the range to expose them to marksmanship and firearms safety - An informal Tucson club could be hugely invaluable to those who are nervous about this.  I'm really busy, but would love to know what I can do to help -

slinged_in

AZbinary

Current plan is to meet up at the SER range around 0730, Saturday 2 October, run until around 1000.  We can work on  our positions and steady hold factors, shooting untimed AQT's.  They will be untimed since we have no control over cease fire calls, but we can transition.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

azmule

Yeah - I could see where barking our own "cease fire" commands might annoy the range staff.   :)

I have an electronic kitchen timer that I practice against, even with muffs on, the beeper can be heard over at least two or three lanes, and since it doesn't conflict with any verbal commands, I've never had a range officer object to it's use - we can use that if you like.

AZbinary

AZM,

The timer sounds like a great idea!

Looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow morning.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

azmule

In case anyone wants to try 'em, here are PDFs of the 2moa dots and 500M mini AQTs I was using this morning.  Also included is an array of 4moa dots (er- donuts) - although it looks like the process of converting them all to PDFs seems to have shrunk them by about 5%, on *my* printer anyway.

AZbinary

Thanks!

Those dots sure looked challenging, but you weree hitting them regularly

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

azmule

AZB,

Are you still shooting at the SERP?  Which Saturdays are you usually there?  We've been shooting LTRs Wednesday nights at the Marksman, but I do need to get in some AD centerfire time every now and then.

Any news on when we can start scheduling AS there?  Anything we can do to help with that?

AZOpie

Dangit! You beat me to it - I was going to Shanghai him on Saturday on this....   &)

John

Quote from: azmule on November 18, 2010, 12:59:43 AM
AZB,

Are you still shooting at the SERP?  Which Saturdays are you usually there?  We've been shooting LTRs Wednesday nights at the Marksman, but I do need to get in some AD centerfire time every now and then.

Any news on when we can start scheduling AS there?  Anything we can do to help with that?

AZbinary

Lol...there is no rest for the wicked.. ~~:).I've called twice this week and left messages with the guy who sets this up.  He was on vacation until a week or so ago.

So far, I've been unable to connect with him on hosting an Appleseed, but  I will persist until I get some answers.

Until then, my next scheduled outing at SER is Saturday, 27 Nov 0800-1000, and of course, there is Buckeye this weekend.

More to follow...

As far as help, I'm not sure.  Would more people calling be helpful?

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011