News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kaysville UT Sept 17/18 2010 AAR

Started by V, September 19, 2010, 04:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

What a glorious "weekend" - it was a Friday/Saturday shoot and I kept confusing everyone talking about the Sat vs Sunday program of instruction :)

We had a great turn out of shooters for this last shoot this year in Kaysville. The autumn colors were starting to appear in the trees behind us on the mountains, sunny and a breeze.  Flags flying, families having a great time sharing a tradition and heritage. We live for "weekends" like this.

We had 24 individual shooters this weekend most 2 days, a few college/school people who could only get away from class late to the first day and a couple of 2nd day only shooters. We were expecting a good clutch of Riflemen from this bunch but unfortunately we had a big group peaking around the 200, with some achingly close 203, 205s, great shooting but the elusive putting it all together on one AQT. Persistence was in evidence at this shoot!   No whiners, no quitters, just a great bunch of true Americans.

We got one Rifleman on Saturday on an early AQT, Steve with a 216 with his AR, who was eager for that Orange hat and got put straight to work! He's Buzz on the forum, welcome aboard Steve. Steve also brought his kids David and Leah who still didn't manage to outshoot the old man ;) but had a good time and certainly showed huge improvement.

Tyler was a returning shooter who this time brought his kids Taylor and Kyle and had a blast.

On Saturday, we had a father son, first time Appleseeders who dropped into the deep end of 2nd day review and off to the AQT grind with great enthusiasm. Barry warned us early on that his son Jesse had strained some sternum muscles and might not be able to do everything. That young man shot all day without complaint, did a great job of standing on the shoot boss (you had to be there to understand) and at the end of the day was overhead to say "I really enjoyed today" Thank you Barry and Jesse, hope to see you out here again, improving on those scores.

Alex, our guard reserve, would have made Rifleman on day 2 given his progress on Friday but unfortunately a late change in orders meant he could only make day one. Come back again, Alex and you will make it and thank you for your service.

Another interesting dynamic to see, several of the Wasatch range masters, who when we started here in Kaysville were appointed to oversee us and now attending the shoots. Tom was there with his son Gabe again, and another had his son Conner here shooting for that elusive 210! All through the day we had other range offices wandering down to our bay from the public ranges to see what this "Appleseed thing" was all about. Its a really great atmosphere at this range now.

Roger, Robert,  Josh,  Lee, and Terry were my merry band of dangerous old men who got caught in the shoals of 195-205 -- but they persisted, they took to heart the forget what you know and try it our way and all will I'm sure return to bang out those scores. Roger mentioned that he will be doing a podcast interview with a internet gun broadcaster and will definitely be giving a plug for Appleseed. Let us know the link when its done Roger - Seventh stepping already. Thanks.

Kim, a returning appleseeder (from Kemmerer 2007!) but who now lives our in Utah and was glad to learn that she now had one local to her was definitely persistent, eventually hitting the problem of the factory stock sights on the ruger and switching to one of Dave's. She alone shot AQT's after the final redcoat - determination. And an expression that she and her family want to get that score, become instructors and get a range going nearer to them. Like I said, a great bunch of people at this shoot and an inspiring weekend.

Eric and Afsheen were roped in by our newest Kaysville IIT from college and had a great time, learnt a lot and assure me they will be back to get that score. Bring your friends folks.

Dave, Rifleman2000, our Kaysville host also brought his son and friends, who enjoyed themselves but got a little frustrated at how hard those positions can get.

Finally, I'd like to say a few thanks to our Utah Instructor cadre.

Dave, has been the backbone of this years work at Kaysville. He gave his house over for a weekend for the IBC early in the year, he ferries me to and from the airport and puts me up at his house for the shoots. He has joined the range as a range office so we have keys to get in and don't need an appointed RO to watch us on the shoots. His wife LeeAnn deserves especial thanks for putting up with all this. His boys and their friends have attended shoots and supported us throughout the year. Everyone who's attended a shoot at Kaysville this year should give a shout out for the Hansen family (Rifleman 2000).

Dave White (lccmonkey) has not manage to attend any shoots here this year due to pressure of work. lccmonkey was instrumental in getting the first shoot at this range and at every shoot since when we ask people where they heard about us and why they came, his name pops up. He is a fine example of the grass roots, neighbor helping neighbor, community style of Appleseed and how unsung heroes out there seventh stepping do make a difference. Dave we only met once "to say hello" when you dropped round, but again, thank you for all you do.

Trent and Andy (two-of-three and one-of-there - don't ask) also attended the IBC and do their best to put volunteering for Appleseed in with their busy schedules. Trent has introduced one of his kids at each shoot he's volunteered to instruct at. Thank you guys. Find three-of-three and lets get his team in gear!

Bruce (manu forti) thank you for your enthusiasm and great contributions which you have made in the short time since attending your first appleseed and taking up that Orange hat. I look forward to working with you next year on those new ranges.

Chelsea another recent volunteer from the infamous Nevada Painter family (five IITs now) who is now in Utah at college  brought friends and is again and enthusiastic and organizing force to reckoned with.

Finally, Steve, who came to shoot and left an instructor who knows how to clear a line and will get the hang of those line commands on the next one. A man who definitely know what he is about, and if I may say, I suspect like me having been through a gun ban, knows a little more than we'd like to about how important the mission of Appleseed really is. Welcome brother but be careful who you reveal that secret rifleman handshake to - (don't ask, you had to be there.)

Folks, things in Utah here are starting to look good. Its been a hard year, its starts slow, it seems hopeless, but we keep plugging away and look what happens. There is now the start of a team, spontaneously swapping contact information, getting together for meetings to organize how to promote, how to get more ranges. I left this shoot this weekend excited and impatient to work with Utah next year to get them self-sufficient and running hard to put things right. All you shooters that have attended this year, look around you. Have things improved since? Is what you were doing or not doing made things better. Did you think this "bailing" idea seemed a little strange, how could it really make a difference? Well look what happens when Americans get together and decide they need to do something, stuff happens, it does make a difference. Don't be left behind folks, don't be Timothy Pickering. Join with these folks, PM or email us and we'll get you plugged in as part of team Utah and together you will make a difference.

If we work hard next year (yes I said "work" and "hard" but you know what folks, there is nothing more enjoyable and satisfying so don't let it frighten you off) we can fill in the rest of the state of Utah and join up with our other two brothers in arms, Fred "Hero" and Chris "RW" down there in Cedar City, UT who again have been working hard to get their part of the world up and running. Its hard work, there are setbacks, but together, if we persist, we will get it done.

This AAR talks like its the end of the year for Utah and you've missed your chance if you haven't attended. Well, its a long drive for some but you still have a chance to proudly score your Utah Rifleman patch down there at Cedar City on September 25/26. Another shoot boss, MisterAnderson, will be flying in to help those guys out and run a shoot on a beautiful range with long distance facilities for the centerfire folks. If you can't make it, tell your friends and family who live down that way.

Thank you Utah.

Cheers
V

Two-of-Three

I had good reports from all my friends who attended (Tyler + kids, Robert, Terry); I was really bummed that I had to be "on the [wrong] side of the pond" (in England) over the weekend and couldn't come help instruct.  I think my kids were even more bummed than I, though!  My daughter, who had Z-E-R-O desire to shoot before her first Appleseed shoot, is now asking all the time when we can go shooting and when the next Appleseed is! O0  This is such a great program!

Thanks to all those instructors (incl. IITs) who're helping make Utah work.

t. (Two-of-Three)

P.S.  lccmonkey ("little cottonwood canyon monkey" -- he's a rock-climber) is a "Mike", I think, not a "David".  He probably wouldn't quibble about it so I won't either -- especially as the grey goop between my ears isn't very reliable when it comes to names.  ;)
... one bullet at a time.

rcas54

Hoping this is the best place to post this news --- 

Yesterday, my sons and I were interviewed for a podcast (http://www.gundudes.com/podcasts) called the Gun Dudes which is produced locally here in Utah.  Its one of our favorite podcasts and is part of the Gun Rights Radio Network.  As part of the interview we were asked about our experiences at Appleseed ( I attended the Kaysville event, my son has participated in two events in Minnesota).  We both said lots of good things about Appleseed, so it might be a good thing to tune in and listen to.  The podcast is weekly, and is usually posted Monday mornings.  We don't know if we will be in this week's episode (4 Oct 2010) or or next week's (11 Oct 2010).  It can be subscribed to through Itunes or just downloaded from their website at http://www.gundudes.com/httpwwwgundudescom.

V

Yes its exactly the right place to post and thank you for following through on notifying us as you told us about this at the shoot.

Cheers
Phil

Quote from: rcas54 on October 03, 2010, 04:55:16 PM
Hoping this is the best place to post this news --- 

Yesterday, my sons and I were interviewed for a podcast (http://www.gundudes.com/podcasts) called the Gun Dudes which is produced locally here in Utah.  Its one of our favorite podcasts and is part of the Gun Rights Radio Network.  As part of the interview we were asked about our experiences at Appleseed ( I attended the Kaysville event, my son has participated in two events in Minnesota).  We both said lots of good things about Appleseed, so it might be a good thing to tune in and listen to.  The podcast is weekly, and is usually posted Monday mornings.  We don't know if we will be in this week's episode (4 Oct 2010) or or next week's (11 Oct 2010).  It can be subscribed to through Itunes or just downloaded from their website at http://www.gundudes.com/httpwwwgundudescom.