News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Bedford, IN 9/18-19

Started by hawkhavn, September 18, 2010, 10:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkhavn

Placehilder for the Bedford shoot at one of Indiana's newest ranges!
106% of capacity on the line, swapped the clown bat for an oversized shoe horn, but we got them all in.
1 new IIT and 2 new Riflemen so far.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

yellowhousejake

Wow, all I can say is WOW. I could not have asked for better place to play Shoot Boss in a brand new green hat. I could not have asked for a better group of Americans to be Shoot Boss for. I could not have dreamed of a better venue, with a helpful, hospitable, enjoyable host as the Childers family. Everyone there could not say enough good things about Shannon and Denise's farm and the weekend they provided for Appleseed. Everyone needs to go to an Appleseed, then they need to go to an Appleseed hosted by the "Bedford Contigent". If you make rifleman there, you get to sign the "Bomb". Wait for the pictures.....

How did it go? Fantastic! We saw everyone improve.

Sophie and her brother were a joy to have on the line. Geno, or as I like to call him "Oreo" spent all day Saturday wrestling around a full sized Stevens bolt action tube fed rifle. Quite a feat for a 12 year old, he did not complain and improved all day. Sophie went from missing to finishing the weekend ringing steel at 100 yards. She is very close to bringing it all together and seeing her score rise to the magic number. Magic number? the one Oreo hit, with a 219. He beat his father's score by 1 point.

Rod was the first to bring the the 210 home shooting a perfect 210 and earning the right to be the first to sign the Bomb, a fitting thing since he is one of the founders of the Bedford Contingent. Not to be outdone, Shannon followed in his score with multiple AQTs over 210. 55 seconds is nuthin' now is it guys  O0  Ed will get there, he got better as the weekend went on, he will sort it out, no doubt in my mind.

Lewis turning in a 227 and Mike shooting a 226. Patrick chose to wait until late Sunday to prove himself by doing it with a tube fed bolt gun, a tube fed bolt gun. Corbin earned his youth patch, but not until I was told he was a youth. He was polite, attentive, safe, and a great shooter to have on the line. I thought he was 18!!! He made great improvements and with Patrick's help he will get a 210 score.

What is that? Seven riflemen? I think there must be something in the air down there in Bedford.

We enjoyed great weather, watching Abi and Malea steadily get better as they learned more with every magazine downrange. Keven and Erik, the fundamentals are there, they know what to practice. If they can keep the sights on their rifles the scores will follow.

I enjoyed the weekend, the people, the history, working my first shoot as Shoot Boss with Hawkhavn and Mudcat, two SB's I consider role models. It just doesn't get much better.

Yellowhousejake

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

TBE

Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

TBE

I intend to make a more descriptive post after I process this weekend.  

All I can really say at this point is thank you.  

Thank you to our host for the kindest of hospitality and for opening up such a personal location to us.
Thank you to the Apple Core and instructor corps.  I am fortunate to have the opportunity to learn from you.
Most importantly, thank you to the shooters.  I can not imagine a better group.  

I am proud that we are countrymen.

Really, Wow.  
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

yellowhousejake

And one more thing. SPQR learned a valuable lesson on betting young men what he would do if they scored rifleman. And we all got to watch an IIT do cartwheels from the firing line to the target line.

Priceless  ;D

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

POC

Thank you to everyone who made this Appleseed come together. It was a great two days for my nephew and I. He was bummed he didn't do better, but considering the gun problems he did pretty good.
Great instruction from a great bunch of guys. I'm sure I'll visit the bomb field again.

The improvement in my shooting over the course of the weekend was enormous. I've never shot competitivly, but I've 'hunted' my whole life. There is much to be learned not only about shooting, but the history of the Country as well.

Great times, something I'll always remember.
Patrick
To all Riflemen on the planet; we are here; we are waiting.

yellowhousejake

Partrick,

Tell Corbin not to be bummed. His quiet persistence is what Riflemen are made of. He was an inspiration to anyone keen enough to watch him through the weekend. I have no doubt he will have a patch someday, and I sincerely hope I am there to give it to him.

Niecie and I hope to see you both on the line again.

YHJ

YHJ

yellowhousejake

A few more things before I switch gears back to weekday life.

We gained some serious BOTG in Lawrence county. Niecie and I need to make sure a few Blue Hats make it down to the Bedford Contingent before October 16th.

We also saw a Rifleman's ego, which is none, when Dan removed his sling from his rifle and gave it to another shooter in need. He already had a rifleman score and he said he would rather sit out the weekend than see someone miss the opportunity.  As Dan had just turned in his IIT contract, we put his new hat on him and promptly put him to work.

I can't say enough about how well that speaks of him.

YHJ

YHJ

POC

Quote from: yellowhousejake on September 19, 2010, 11:55:10 PM
And one more thing. SPQR learned a valuable lesson on betting young men what he would do if they scored rifleman. And we all got to watch an IIT do cartwheels from the firing line to the target line.

Priceless  ;D

YHJ
I'll see about posting that video...

Loctite

SPQR

I don't think that's necessary.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

SPQR

HERE WE ARE AT CHILDERS FARM!

I just want to thank the Bedford Contingent and Chilidog in particular for putting on this shoot and bringing the Appleseed so near my home.  This was a magnificent event.  Its real good country to live in around here.  I got to drive through the rolling mist in the early morning half-light on Saturday, through the up and down of eastern Greene County and western Lawrence County and step into clean, bracing air and see the smiling faces of friends whoa re a very sturdy caliber of patriot.  We got to watch the sun come up together over rich green oaks and maples and the gold of ripening fields.  No, we better quit while we're ahead.  This Appleseed thing is never gonna work...

I thought we had an excellent bunch of shooters.  I was worried, mayhaps even concerned that we would have a high number of safety violations given the volume of young shooters, new shooters, and tube feds on the line.  It seemed there were a lot of folks who weren't quite "equipment ready" and didn't really believe in what a sling could do for them.  My fears began to mount.  As I began this day RSOing my end of the line I was trepidatious to say the least.  Sigh.  I don't know what makes me that way, dadgummit.  It can't be good for my blood pressure.  In the end my fears were completely unfounded!  There was a remarkable lack of safety violations considering the obstacles, a remarkable level of persistence on the part of the shooters to fight their equipment troubles and overcome.  I also discovered that, when you look into your range bag and realize you have loaned out every piece of equipment, every sling, every rifle, every spare mag you brought, there is a warm fuzzy feeling!

I am a social scientist by training and I like to ask questions.  For a long time, long before I discovered the Appleseed, I used to ask people if they thought "things" were getting better or worse in this country merely as an experiment.  People almost always said "worse".  The reasons ran the spectrum.  Some people blamed it on the fact that Ding Dongs are no longer packages in foil.  Some people blame it on the Star Wars Special Editions, insisting that Han shot first.  Some people blame it on things like government, schools, and television.  After hearing for so long that things were getting worse it was difficult to argue against it in any general terms.  I don't know...  After seeing a shoot like this one in a setting like that it is hard to say that things AREN'T getting better.  When Oreo got in behind that massive Garand, which he had claimed was his favorite rifle "EVER", it was tough for me to think that things are getting worse.  We talk about the ship sinking, and that is good.  We should tell the cautionary tales and learn from our history and let people know that their decisions and lifestyles have a wide ranging effect on our culture and society.  But here we are at Childers Farm, in Lawrence County, Indiana.  Do you know where this place got that name?  Captain James Lawrence who, after being mortally wounded while captaining his ship against the British during the War of 1812, uttered these dying words, "Don't give up the ship."  I don't know what the game is exactly, I don't have the full mental capacity to determine it, but I think we might be winning.  When I am at a Seed I really get this this sense that we are getting it turned around.  If I am wrong, well, we'll "fight her till she sinks."

Congratulations to all of our new Riflemen and thank you so very much.  If any of you in the Bloomfield area want to get together and go shoot just get hold of me with a PM and we'll find the time.               
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

tater

Believe it or not, this is my first attempt ever at adding anything on a forum. I'd just like to say that my first appleseed could not have been better. I learned so many things, I don't know where to start. NPOA comes to mind...The comments about "drinking from a firehose" are finally starting to sink in now that I've had some time to reflect. I think all of you are folks who know what they are about and I have every intention of working hard to get there. The quality of instruction and the lessons on history that I was never taught in school were second to none. The cartwheels weren't bad either. There will be another appleseed for me and I intend to get some friends off the couch and shooting. Thanks from Bloomfield
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

Niecie

Pictures are here  :)

Beautiful start to the day

Greetings from the Childers Farm

Good Morning Bedford!!

SPQR and TBE Starting off the day (YHJ is there too)

Dan becomes an Orange hat - Welcome Dan!!

YHJ gives the Second Strike

Rod is our first Rifleman of the day

Shannon helps his Mom when she joins us in the afternoon. Great gal Wonderful to meet her!

I will post some more in a bit...

Niecie

POC

Where's the rest??

There has to be more.

You just about wore that camera out.

;D

Niecie

Quote from: POC on September 20, 2010, 08:53:01 PM
Where's the rest??

There has to be more.

You just about wore that camera out.

;D

Funny  :D Yep there are more, I am getting them uploaded as we speak - -   sort of...

Niecie

POC

Well I'm at work, and am anxiously waiting....

...but I know how uploading pictures can be.

yellowhousejake

Notice Shannon "instructing" his mother. Applecore done stole him before I could get a Orange hat on his head  ;D

Seriously, I watched and listened several times as he worked with Neva, there is a great instructor lurking in there.

YHJ

YHJ

Mudcat

What a great weekend indeed!  was very impressed with the Bedford Contingent for sure. Now these people were ready to have an Appleseed and had everything ready to go. I got there late on saturday due to work but could not believe the place when I arrived. Really nice set up for sure. But that was not the best part. The best part was the people great attitudes all the way across the line. Nothing but persistence from everyone. That is what makes a great Appleseed. I will be back again to work with the Bedford Contingent. I see nothing but great things coming out of the Childers farm, Thank You!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

yellowhousejake

YHJ

Chilidog

What a great week end! I know nothing we did this weekend could have been done without my GREAT wife and the help of the Bedford Contingent gang. We all had a great time. Thank you TBE for coming back in the Naughty Dog! I can't wait for the October shoot. Thanks to all the instructors your the best. You guys do a great job. I was just talking to a guy who is coming to the Oct shoot and he was worried about if he had the right sling and gun and I told him how you guys loaned out your gear so freely. He was amazed. I told him "this is a little differant bunch of guys they want you to succeed". Then I got to thinking I'm part of this group, this organization that is nation wide and we really do want every one to succeed. We trust you to succeed and make a difference in this world! This is the same thing JESUS said to his gang and ultimately to us, they were not any one special but HE, creator of the universe, said that HE trusted them to go out and make a difference. Our founding fathers set us up to do the same thing to make a difference in this nation regardless if we were rocket scientist or janitors. We all have the ability to make a difference in our community and nation. We have just been trained, by someone who did not want us to succeed more than them, to not to think beyond our own back yard. I look forward to the next Appleseed where I might be helping the next man gain the confidence and patriotism to succeed as a senator, congressman, president or father of his family. I think this is way more than just shooting a gun this is learning to trust and to be trust worthy. To do more than just exist but to really succeed and make a difference in our world one American at a time!
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

AuntieBellum

We demand more pictures!!!   ;D  What a great weekend - it looks like a great time was had by some true patriots!

And chilidog, welcome to AppleCore!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

POC

A quick note, I've noticed talk of how good the kids did, and were.  They are all three home school kids.  Take that for what you will.
Carry on... :)

rockhopper46038

What a great weekend! Can't believe how much I learned, and how much I have left to learn. Thanks to a great group of instructors, and thanks to Shannon for opening up his farm to a couple of folks who wanted to learn some history, and some marksmanship. I didn't expect to have QUITE so many opportunities to re-zero my sights :wb: , but hey, learnin' is learnin'! Congrats to all my compatriots who earned their patch, and with a little more practice I hope to join them soon!

yellowhousejake

Quote from: chilidog on September 20, 2010, 11:21:05 PM
I look forward to the next Appleseed where I might be helping the next man gain the confidence and patriotism to succeed as a senator, congressman, president or father of his family. I think this is way more than just shooting a gun this is learning to trust and to be trust worthy. To do more than just exist but to really succeed and make a difference in our world one American at a time!

Beautifully said  :bow:

That is why we do this.

YHJ

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Quote from: POC on September 20, 2010, 11:52:15 PM
A quick note, I've noticed talk of how good the kids did, and were.  They are all three home school kids.  Take that for what you will.
Carry on... :)

The more Appleseeds I do, the more I see that... and admire it.

YHJ

YHJ

SPQR

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Niecie

Ready for more pics? 

Rod (Bomber) got wet for his 210 score

Mike is the second to make Rifleman Saturday

Sunday morning with Mudcat

Sophie shoots like a girl and very well, too!

Malea and the Doc - Ball and Dummy - No, I am not calling you that  :)

Lewis makes Rifleman on the first AQT of the day!

Our most gracious host was next! Chilidog :bow:

Patrick makes Rifleman, too! We are up to 5 now.

Here comes the 1430 wall...

Rifleman number 6... Oreo!!

SPQR never fails to uphold his end of a deal! Cartwheels down the line because he challenged Oreo to shoot Rifleman. Great idea!

Gene makes Rifleman number 7!! Sophie is VERY close, too. Wow! What a fantastic family to spend the weekend with!!

Niecie

The wrap-up...

I cannot put into words how much I enjoyed the weekend. I sincerely meant what I said at the benediction, there is nothing I would rather be doing on my precious days off, than spending them with such amazing, wonderful Americans! Thank you to all of the shooters, instructors, and the Bedford Contingent for their generosity, excitement, and love of our great country! This Appleseed will be difficult to top!

I also would like to thank our fine young American participants! I am always impressed by the youth at Appleseed shoots, but Sophie, Oreo, and Corbin have set a new standard! They do give us all great hope for the future - you guys ROCK  ^:)^

A few more pics...

KD fun Sunday afternoon.

Oreo gets to shoot the Big One... I do believe he is in love ;)

Loctite and Chilidog going the distance.

Bomber was the first to score Rifleman and the first to sign the bomb

What a great group - the best Appleseed yet!

We owe that to this group of guys! We sincerely thank you and your families for such wonderful hospitality, (especially Chilidog's wife who made amazing sandwiches!) Your enthusiasm for this program is inspiring! Thank you so much to the Bedford Contingent, I cannot wait to visit again!

Bomber, Chilidog, Loctite

Back to your regular programing...

Niecie

Johnnyappleseed

Great job Indianna O0
Welcome aboard to all those beginning your AS journey -----
Nice pics---- and good to see all you newbies ^5
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge