News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Blackfoot, Idaho Sept 18 &19

Started by z_gunner, September 18, 2010, 10:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z_gunner

AAR Blackfoot, ID September 18 & 19

Instructors: Johnnyappleseed, Larry, & Rob

We just got finished with the first day of the shoot.  Over all I would have to say the it was a enlightening & awesome experience.  Everyone came ready and willing to learn not only how to shoot a rifle, but the history associated with being a Rifleman and the birth of our Country.  We all learned and improved significantly.  For myself and the women on the line next to me if must have been a 300% improvement.

For myself, I understand how to adjust my sights now and can hit the target most of the time, which is really good for me.  Coltan, I hope I got the name right, qualified as a Rifleman on our first timed AQT of the Shoot.  ^:)^  And it looks like this Shoot got the right people together at the right time cause there are already plans for trips to the range outside of this shoot, and brain storming who we can get to go with us...maybe even to the next Appleseed Shoot out here.

So everyone who was at the Shoot today please add in you thought and pictures.  A special thanks to our Instructors for teaching us and helping to build our skills.

Lissa

Johnnyappleseed

Lissa , thank you for getting this started ,also , for your can do Rifleman attitude O0  . I see A Rifleman patch in your future  O0 possibily even tommmorrow  ;) One  thing certain the folks in Idaho are men and women who know what they are about.

This Cedar Hills gun club is a really nice facility . Thanx to Critical Mass and the other members who made it happen .
Congratulations to Colton who joined the ranks of Rifleman--nice shooting Sir.

I expect to see new IITs on Sun and am sure looking forward to it
JA

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

WhiteWaterLady

This was my second Appleseed shoot and was a fantastic experience!  Thank you so much to Larry & Rob for helping me understand that my scope is too high and helping me out with that lovely cheek pad.  It made a very big difference.

Wow!  What can I say?  The instructors were all very friendly, very helpful, and really seemed genuinely interested in the budding riflemen.  Everyone was awesome.

I especially liked the individual attention, the patience, the frequent checks of position/equipment, the overall organization, the stories, and the history.  Far too few today understand anything about sacrifice, much less the sacrifices that were made by so many people so we could enjoy liberty today. 

Let's keep it going!!!

I'm looking forward to some new friendships developing also as a result of the shoot today, and enjoyed dinner with some great company as a result of the shoot.   :)
Bambi

The thing that sets the American Christian apart from all other people in the world is he will die on his feet, before he'll live on his knees.  – George Washington

SavageShootr

CONGRATULATIONS to the newest Riflemen! All those who got off the couch included.

You ladies are Riflemen in your heart.  :bow:

Great job, Instructors!

Looking forward to reading more accounts of the event and seeing pictures!!

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Reformed Redneck

I'm very glad to hear that things are going well down there. Good Job to Johnny & crew. Shooters: persist!

Best regards to you all,
Reformed Redneck
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Virginian

Richard, Larry, Rob

Had a terrific time these last two days and learned plenty from each of you.  You style and enthusiasm is contageous and encourages me to become a Rifleman so I can become more involved in the Appleseed program.

The second day was much better because the shooting moved along quickly which offered us plenty of opportunity to hit targets.  The history lessons were great as well and serve as sobering reminders of how the colonists, lead by the fore fathers, assumed terrific risk to life and property to gain freedom for us all.

Now it is our duty to maintain these liberties in their names.

Tony

Critical Mass

Working as a 1st time instructor was a 'draining' experience to say the least.

What a great group of people to shoot with. I was overwhelmed by the interest in this event; we advertised room for 36 and ended up with 32 attendees on Saturday, and about 1/2 of that on Sunday.

And what a tremendous weekend of super weather.

Then, when given the responsibility to read Patrick Henry's address to the Virginia House of Burgess(?), and after reading the intro details of the speech, I couldn't read the speech itself.  It was like trying to read a funeral eulogy for a loved one.  I just hope the country I love isn't that far gone!

It was great to help two individuals struggling with their qualification as riflemen to be able to loan them one of my rifles, and watch them both qualify subsequently.  I guess equipment helps when the attitude is there.

Word to the wise: when shooting the Appleseed event with a stock Ruger 10/22,  the first thing ya oughta do to NOT get bogged down in the rapid fire transition drills is retrofit the gun with an auto bolt release.  They're only about $12 + S/H thru Brownell's; it's basically a drop in part, and anyone with Erector set experience ought to be able to accomplish in about 5 minutes.  I missed having an Erector set as a child, so it took me a little longer.
Fear out of experience is to be . . . conquered,
Fear out of ignorance is to be . . . STUPID!

Johnnyappleseed

Im still thinking of all the things I learned from this group of fine American's Sat and Sun  ;)
Wow --Gen Washington escaping death -during french /indian wars
Franklin bypassing  British  press . Great pledge and prayer both days .
A new for me book and so much much more ;)
2 previous Riflemen who started the IIT process -- TY Tim and Jacob TY for your help, with IIT duties .

A big Hooray for 3 new Rifleman too .. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Ben-- Ericka-- and Caleb  all who scored RM on SUN .
IM w/o notes right now ,so please post your scores and if I forgot someone or something --DO NOT spare the clown bat  &)
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

ID_Hezekiah

My first Appleseed, and I guarantee not my last - a fantastic experience above and beyond some of the finest basic riflery instruction.  I had tried to encourage more participation just on a brief examination of the Project from one visit to the homepage, but I will be twisting arms and won't take no for an answer if we host the event again and I expect a full house. I'm incredibly sore from all the standing to kneeling/sitting and standing to prone strings of fire, but learned so much to now digest, incorporate and practice.  The history and legacy sessions were as inspirational as they were educational and a vital aspect of the overall experience.  Thank you all for what you did and what you are doing. Learn, share, teach - I'm a convert!

Tom Ashley.
The British learned to dread the frequent appearances of this dire rider at unexpected points along the route of their passage, for his aim was true, and the economical principles in which he was trained forbade his wasting powder and ball.

TruTenacity

Congratulations to the new Riflemen!

Sounds like a great event.

I've always thought about reading Patrick Henry's speech as part of history telling on Sunday.  Was it well received?

TruT
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Johnnyappleseed

Thanx to everyone who posted .Your questions ,comments and input are valuable to AS learning experiance.Larry (CM) brings up a good point which applies to everyone ,equipment matters.
I keep forgetting to do this  #) but when shooters appear to be doing everything right . Tom, Steve, Tony and a couple others . We should exchange their rifles for known quality rifles -or at least have an instructor fire a 4m group with the rifles and ammo they are using. Z_gunnner (Lissa) was shooting CCI stingers -which DO NOT GROUP in my 10-22 .
It would be nice to hear from those who borrowed Larrys  rifle. Let us know what features worked best   8)
Tru, I like the slightly edited version of PH speech . I find it valuable to mention the hard part of fighting under arms has already been done. We have because of their efforts a nearly perfect foundation of govt .

As more folks get to AS (doubling every year) eventually politicians which come from us ,are like us . Freedom loving Riflemen  O0
As owners of this nation we must work through primaries and election process to further what we beleive America should be.
Well this is sort of what I say regrding PH

I have many copies of this slightly edited speech (eliminates his retorical question ) Is this what the gentalman would have ?

Anyone who want's it call or PM me with an address
JA

Calvin Coolidge

Evenstar

Sounds like an awesome event! Wish we could have been there. Congrats to the new riflemen, and a big thank you to Johnnyappleseed who came up from Cali to be shoot boss! O0 :cool2: :bow:
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

z_gunner

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on September 21, 2010, 12:05:20 PM
Thanx to everyone who posted .Your questions ,comments and input are valuable to AS learning experiance.Larry (CM) brings up a good point which applies to everyone ,equipment matters.
I keep forgetting to do this  #) but when shooters appear to be doing everything right . Tom, Steve, Tony and a couple others . We should exchange their rifles for known quality rifles -or at least have an instructor fire a 4m group with the rifles and ammo they are using. Z_gunner (Lissa) was shooting CCI stingers -which DO NOT GROUP in my 10-22 .

I tossed the stingers and my groups have improved greatly! I still need work, but thanks for the tip :)

RangeRat

We've run a ton of different ammo thru our 5 10/22's and found that the stock carbines like Fed Automatch or Fed 510, and my LTR and my son's tricked out Beyer barreled rifle like CCI blazer.  Take a handful of different boxes of ammo and shoot them against each other.... several times.  You can't make a decision on only one set of groups.  Also be very aware of any misfires or other failures.  Some of the bulk packs can be prone to bad priming.

Good luck.

RR

Johnnyappleseed

RR
I agree with you on the Blazer ammo. also my experiance has been good with CCI mini mags , 40gr thunderbolt,Fiocchi 36grn and Remington bulk pak golden bullet .
Your advise on testing  different brands is right on  O0 and well stated .
Thank You for sharing your knowledge.
JA
Calvin Coolidge

Dresden James

This is my first post on the Appleseed web site.  The shoot was a huge success.  More people than I or Larry expected - which was GREAT!  I saw a lot of shooter greatly improve their skills which is critically important.  I really enjoyed instructing and helping people become Riflemen.  I'm looking forward to our next event in the Spring.  There are already quite a few people expressing interest. 

JA, I hope you are enjoying the 5000 Year Leap.  It's a fantastic read.  I took your advice and used the D. James name.  Thanks again for your help with the event.  Hope to see you at another one soon.  Take care all and congratulations on a great shoot.
"When a well packaged web of lies has been gradually sold to the masses over generations, the Truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."  -DJ

Deflexor

This was my third Appleseed and that Riflemans patch still eludes me  :wb:. One of the attendees that scored Rifleman was using one of my rifles and it was his first event. I must be too twitchy.

My first two Appleseeds were at Three Forks Montana which is a wonderfull range and I met some great people there but I prefer not to drive as far. I'm also spoiled now because we did our shooting on grass. So I want to thank those who arranged to have this event here.

I have noticed at each of these events that my first AQT on Sat usually is my best score (at 180-190) and it gets worse from there and continues to decline on Sun. I know what I'm supposed to be doing by now and I think I need to take it easy until the first AQT in the future. Of course I also need to practise, practise, practise before the next time (Z_Gunner you want to join us?).

Looking forward to the next time.

Ray

Johnnyappleseed

Dresden James,this event was all you said it was and more. You Idaho folks have it together 8

You guys worked so hard with promotion ,targets,instuction and keeping this event safe  O0

BTW your line calling was EXCELENT! each course your voice became more confident and professional .

I learned lots too. Thanx for the 5000 year leap -- I am finding so much to use at future events.

Is there room for the quote you used on the signature line? That quote you used during our lunch break was very powerful and thought provoking .

I would love to attend another AS at Cedar Hills Gun Club ;D I had such a wonderful fun time with all of you  ;)

JA
Calvin Coolidge

Johnnyappleseed

Ray -- You have the heart of a Rifleman  O0 Your determination and attitude are commendable .

Thank You for attending and for bringing others along .

A Rifleman persists. Next time for sure . Even if we need to do an equiptment /ammo change :o

Nice to see all of you on the forum  O0

Thanx for all your input and comments.

JA

Calvin Coolidge

ID_Hezekiah

I too tried hard and couldn't quite get there (mostly because I stubbornly wanted to make it with my M1A).  I've "borrowed" the title temporarily, because I will earn it for sure.  I'm looking at modding up one of my Rugers, but fully expect to make it with one or more centerfires and will practice until I do.  Idaho enjoyed you as much as you enjoyed us, JA, would love to have you back!
The British learned to dread the frequent appearances of this dire rider at unexpected points along the route of their passage, for his aim was true, and the economical principles in which he was trained forbade his wasting powder and ball.

Johnnyappleseed

ID_Rifleman , I like the name ,very fitting  O0
We discussed you and some others -- where it was mentioned ,that with more instuctors you and 3 others most certainly would have achieved Rifleman . It is suggested lots of dry fire by the #s ,and if possibile shoot with a buddy and do ball +dummy drills --especially with the centerfires.  Tom you have the most important element for a rifleman ,persistance O0
Looking forward to meeting you again .
JA
Calvin Coolidge

WhiteWaterLady

Just a quick head's up Lissa, I won't be able to make it to R-burg in the morning.  Clutch went out.   :wb:

e-mail me if you want - whtwtrldy@yahoo.com
Bambi

The thing that sets the American Christian apart from all other people in the world is he will die on his feet, before he'll live on his knees.  – George Washington

Johnnyappleseed

It's official Dresden James is being promoted to IIT O0 Thank You Rob for stepping up and and the work you did making the 1st Blackfoot AS so good.

Always I take away so much from each AS . This time it was in part----  a book (from Rob) promoted by Critical Mass . I can only say AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Thank You Larry and Rob^5

I am mostly through "The 5000 Year Leap" by Cleon Skousen---- A Miracle That Changed the World. This book is so good ! My only regret is that I
was not exposed to it decades ago!

WWL ,sorry about the clutch  :( Sure glad you made the AS ,it was nice meeting you and I see a RM patch /IIT hat  in your future .

Idaho you are a special place and a special people .Men and women who truly know what they are about.
SC Reformed Redneck (Larry) TY for allowing me to SB the 1st of many Blackfoot events .

JA

Calvin Coolidge

Reformed Redneck

Friends,

Sounds like a great shoot to me. Congratulations to the new Riflemen. Sounds like a number of you will be there shortly.

To the locals: What do we need to do to get some shoot dates going there? We are busy assembling out 2011 schedule, and would like to add events there in Blackfoot. PM me with info about anything I need to do to help the process along.

Johnny: Job well done. Thanks for helping us out on this event.

Best regards,
Reformed Redneck
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Johnnyappleseed

A couple of pictures
Calvin Coolidge

Johnnyappleseed

couple more
Calvin Coolidge

Critical Mass

Well, it really can happen. 

ID Rifleman (a.k.a. Tom Ashley) came to an 'after action' mini-camp by himself (offer was extended to  others from the Blackfoot AS event, but none showed).  He managed to qualify rifleman   ^:)^ on his second try of the day, shooting a respectable 217  :--- with open sights using a Ruger 10/22.

Congratulations to our newest rifleman.  Patch is on the way, and I'll arrange some kind of a presentation where we can document the award with a picture or two.

Fear out of experience is to be . . . conquered,
Fear out of ignorance is to be . . . STUPID!

ID_Hezekiah

Thanks for taking your time to give me the opportunity to redeem myself, CM!  I can't wait to repeat my success with centerfires, shooting the one round with the Garand was a real hoot and I'm even tempted to try one or two AQTs with my 1903A3 and Enfield of 1917. ++)

TruTenacity

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Reformed Redneck

Way to go ID Rifleman. Good work with the follow up Critical Mass.

Congratulations,
Reformed Redneck