News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

ENFIELD, SEPT. 4-5? AFRAID OF A LITTLE RAIN? OK, A HURRICANE!

Started by Firewall99, September 01, 2010, 06:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewall99

So, it's Labor Day weekend, and a little hurricane named Earl is headed our way.  Big deal.

That's not going to stop this shoot.  I'll be out there rain or shine, waiting to see who are the real heroes.  If you're not afraid of a little rain, please join us, and we'll test our rain gear.

Is a poncho better than foul weather gear?  Come and find out.

What about the wind?  It would be nice to wear something tight and wind proof, so as not to flap around too much.

Mud Fest

Can you shoot with mud on your face?  In your eye?  (You can if you've got your NPOA right-on.)  Will your scope fog up?  Got anti-fog treatment?  (You can borrow mine.)

Worse, will your scope leak?  Isn't it better to find out now rather than later?  (If your scope is Bushnell, they have an unlimited owner, lifetime warranty.  Now we see the value in that!)

Maybe you'll shoot iron sights after all...

Don't forget the towels for after!

"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

"Take away fear, and the battle of Freedom is half won." - William Ralp

colycat

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

crak

Clearly someone made a mistake and scheduled the latest "hurricane" for Enfield instead of Harvard. 

I can tell you nobody who stuck it out for the whole weekend on the line the last two times would trade that experience in for yet another forgettable weekend putzing around between the couch and the fridge (now that it's over, of course). :)

People should be flocking from all over New England to test themselves against Mother Nature's worst.  And seriously... how bad could it be if they named it Earl?
Check your drama at the door.

starfox

Quote from: Firewall99 on September 01, 2010, 06:50:34 PM
What about the wind?  It would be nice to wear something tight and wind proof, so as not to flap around too much.

You all are lucky and get to really dope the wind!  Might even need to dope it for 25m.   ;D
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

Buzz Killer

Hi, Guys/Gals
Greetings from Historic Haverhll(NH that is)
Just registered here and hoping to make it to Enfield if God's willing and the crick don't rise :)

Firewall99

Quote from: DwayneH on September 01, 2010, 07:53:59 PM
When shooting during a warm weather hurricane, it is best not to worry about ponchos and wet weather gear.  Swimming trunks and sandals work best.
**)

Now, let's not get carried away.  Although the temp on Sat. is forecast to top at 74, with wind chill we may be looking at something considerable lower. 

Let me say it one more time, when going shooting, you are not going to the beach.  You are going in the dirt and the mud (although with all Enfield's cushy grass to shoot on, I can't promise a lot of mud).  You still need long pants, long sleeves, and boots with good traction.  Got that?

Swimming suits and sandals, HA!
"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

mike93lx

Quote from: crak on September 01, 2010, 07:19:33 PM
Clearly someone made a mistake and scheduled the latest "hurricane" for Enfield instead of Harvard. 

I can tell you nobody who stuck it out for the whole weekend on the line the last two times would trade that experience in for yet another forgettable weekend putzing around between the couch and the fridge (now that it's over, of course). :)

;D

As one of the few that have shot at an Apple during a hurricane, I can guaranty that it is an experience you will never forget.  Plus, it is fun telling everyone about laying in 4 inches of water and having to keep blowing out the rear aperture on your tech sights in order to see.  O0

Firewall99

The chance of rain has gone down to 20%. 

Both the National Hurricane Center (http://www.hurricanealley.net/StrmImgs/07LNHCFT.jpg) and Hurricane Alley (http://www.hurricanealley.net/StrmImgs/07LHAFT.jpg) are showing that we're not even going to get any decent wind, or less than 23 mph anyway.

But the TV won't tell that story I bet. 

Oh, well.  If all the couch-bound, TV watchers still chicken out, we're going to have an instructor shoot at least until noon.  I'm still working on shooting a 250, and I have some Lake City ammo to try out.

If you're in the area, come on down!

If any paying shooters show up, they will get our Hero Patch and a full Monty shoot.

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.