News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hear-ye! Hear-ye! 1st Annual Minnesota Appleseed Muster! a.ka. Picnic

Started by AFTERMATH, August 29, 2010, 06:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFTERMATH

Before the end of September; we would like to hold a state-wide picnic, for the purposes of furthing our Appleseeding efforts in Minnesota.  This will be open to All Appleseeders, their families and their friends.  We will also be holding a Minnesota Appleseed Summit durring this gathering.  We will be looking at the weekend of Sept. 18-19th, tentatively.  This will be a one day venture, and certainly lots of fun.(Don't tell Fred)  So, please poll what works for best for you.  You may select more than one option.  We'll try to find a date and time that works best for everyone!  Once you've voted; please check-in below, and add any suggestions and/or comments.

WHO:  Appleseeders and company!

WHAT:  Gathering/picnic/meeting

WHEN:  Third weekend of September-Tentatively

WHERE:  Somewhere central-Looking for suggestions

WHY:  Why not?  Regroup to finish 2010, and start planning for 2011

HOW:  The spirit and ingenuity of the immortal Rifleman will provide the means to accomplish this.  We'll work on logistics when the rest is set to go.

Huzza!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

russellmn

LaughingShooter is getting married on the 18th, so three and I wouldn't be able to make it that day...  Sunday would work perfectly for me though...  would love to get together with all ya'll!
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

adamt

Well, I chose 9 of 12, is that good or bad?

None the less, I am in, hopefully the wife also. I will look around the the metro for a suitable place. preliminary checks found rates of around $150 - $200 to reserve a park site inside the metro however.

AdamT.
"If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

--  Abraham Lincoln

AFTERMATH

Quote from: adamt on August 29, 2010, 07:25:16 PM
Well, I chose 9 of 12, is that good or bad?

None the less, I am in, hopefully the wife also. I will look around the the metro for a suitable place. preliminary checks found rates of around $150 - $200 to reserve a park site inside the metro however.

AdamT.

Heck....  I can rent a trailer-park site for that much. :o
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

TheDud

Brass Bucket and I can't do Saturday (Yom Kippur, don't ya know  O0) but are in for Sunday.  Afternoon would be better, but we're flexible either way.

BuzzG

Either day would work for me. I'll be in Northfield on Sun. till 4pm but could catch up after 4

Whisker

I'd really like to attend this. I have some big ideas for Minnesota (and surrounding states). I'll give you a hint: (regionalization) I might be doing the RBC in Montana but I can try and leave early..

We don't need to reserve a park.  We can just show up and sit on the grass if we have to.  May I suggest Powderhorn Park in MLPS?

What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

vmt193

So far it's looking like Sunday afternoon is in the lead. I agree with Whisker about a location. If we're capable of building a range and hosting a shoot in the middle of a vacant field with posts and wire, we should be able to pull off a picninc without a spendy reservation somewhere.

I'll let you metro folks decide on THE spot, but it only needs to provide us a space, nothing fancy.

vmt

adamt

I would give a big +1 just based on the name. It seems like it's not a bad location as it just off 35W. If just picking a park is all that's needed it may work.

Here is a link with map for those afeared of the google... http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=4&parkid=244

There are several dozen parks all around the MPLS St Paul area. I don't think finding one will be a problem.

AdamT.
"If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

--  Abraham Lincoln

AFTERMATH

Definately not planning on paying.(we've already paid for it, right?)
Powderhorn Park, would appear to be quite fitting; would it not?
http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=4&parkid=244
Seems to be an easy location to get to as well; not far off of 35w.
Let the bickering continue....

.....Just notice Adam's post.  I put time in this one so I'm posting anyway >:D

sparks1

Rum River park comes to mind. Great spot and only an admission fee. Picnic shelter...I could check/see if its open. North side of metro tho' right off highway 47 out of Anoka. Real nice park. I can check out Ramsey Central park. If an alternative is wanted.

Not sure of my attendance yet. Really want to go, but my wife (Pam) has vacation and wants to go somewhere. SO..it means doing the picnic and foregoing instructing at Hinckley the next weekend, Or the wrath of Pam. You do not want to even see the sequel to this. Be afraid, be very afraid. :-X

So I guess it's foregoing Hinckley. I have a friend from work and his family (2 teenage kids and wife) coming so if you see a familiar 10/22 on the line... also loaning them a couple others. he wants his boys to learn how to shoot properly !

I think the thinktank is due to get a plan together.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

AFTERMATH

Bring your wife to the picnic!  That's going somewhere right?  Make her think it's her idea and you'll be good to go. ;)

adamt

Sparks1, Hows about you tell the wife that you want to go on a picnic, get to said park and wallah. It is pre-populated with all your Appleseed friends.

Honestly honey, I had no idea... ::)

AdamT

--  Abraham Lincoln

AFTERMATH

Quote from: adamt on August 30, 2010, 12:30:55 AM
Sparks1, Hows about you tell the wife that you want to go on a picnic, get to said park and wallah. It is pre-populated with all your Appleseed friends.

Honestly honey, I had no idea... ::)

AdamT

Heck, stuff like that happens every day!
Appleseeders are EVERYWHERE! @)

Cooper

Minneapolis/St Paul (AKA "Moscow of the Midwest") is not my favorite place, but I'll muster wherever I'm told.  Since it's a 3 hour drive for me, afternoon would be easier.
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Cooper on August 30, 2010, 09:27:35 AM
Minneapolis/St Paul (AKA "Moscow of the Midwest") is not my favorite place, but I'll muster wherever I'm told.  Since it's a 3 hour drive for me, afternoon would be easier.

Don't think of it as a 3hr drive.  More like a 3hr tour...
Funny thing about MN is that'll be the about the average drive.
From 3hrs north and 3hrs south!

There are but a few luck ones who get to have it in thier back yard.   But then again; that means they live in the 'Moscow of the Midwest'; so how lucky are they really.   :-\

AFTERMATH

Quote from: russellmn on August 29, 2010, 07:19:10 PM
LaughingShooter is getting married on the 18th, so three and I wouldn't be able to make it that day...  Sunday would work perfectly for me though...  would love to get together with all ya'll!

You know; she could reconfigure her plans and have the wedding at there. ;)

How about it Anne?

LaughingShooter

Nice try Aftermath - the invites are already out! ;)  If you're meeting Sunday pm, the Andy and I might even take a pitstop and see you post-nuptials! :) 

:~

AFTERMATH

Quote from: LaughingShooter on August 31, 2010, 05:50:03 PM
Nice try Aftermath - the invites are already out! ;)  If you're meeting Sunday pm, the Andy and I might even take a pitstop and see you post-nuptials! :) 

:~

Oh, well....
We'll just have to add "Let's crash LS's wedding for this!" ;D

It is looking to be Sunday PM - so we may be in luck!
Though the polls have yet to close!
So go vote!

:--- :--- :---

AFTERMATH

>> By the way; I made the poll. 

I'm not saying that I can see who's voted. ::)
But I'm not saying I can't either.... ::)

So, you may want to vote. &)

Cooper

I have to MC an Alzheimer's Association Memory Walk in La Crosse on Saturday morning, so I hope that Sunday continues to win out  ^-^
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.

sparks1

From the son of a woman who has dementia...I can only let this one pass without a joke, Janelle. Believe me humor is my way of coping with the loss of Mom's cognizance of her surroundings.
I did have a very funny punch line for the Alzheimers walk, but people not familiar with the disease or with dementia would think it crass and uncaring.

Good for you for being involved. Thank you and Bless you.

Ron
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Cooper

russellmn

Quote from: Cooper on September 01, 2010, 10:55:28 PM
Sparky

PM me, I can always use a joke!

Dr Demento

I don't think you're gonna live down that one "Sparky"   **)

And just post the thing, we all wanna hear it now...
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

AFTERMATH

All right! The polls are now closed!
I've found no hanging chads and there have been no absentee ballots to worry about.
As far as deceased voters; would in not be cool if the Isaac Davis voted, and came?
I'm just sayin' at the Rev. War Veteran Association; certain deceased should still have a vote.  ;)

The results conclude that it will be Sunday, Sept. 19, 2010.  In the PM.
I will now make the arbitrary decision and proclaim that the most substantative portion will be from 15:00-18:00ish
If you want to come early great!  If you want to stay late, great!

We'll have the metro-team work out the location.  Sven, Whisker, Sparks, AdamT - Check your inbox.

I'll be starting a new thread for planning and implimentation.
Stay tuned!

In the meantime; I'm going to go ahead and start a new poll for 'Attending' so we can get an approximate attendance list.

vmt193

We're a week out, where are we at on a location? Powderhorn? Minnehaha?

"Ah gots ta know!"