News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Sparta, IL August 21,22

Started by Wurstmacher, August 23, 2010, 09:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wurstmacher

Here is where you can share your experiences from the Sparta, Illinois shoot this past weekend. 

Wurstmacher

This was Appleseed's first visit to the World Shooting Complex in Sparta, IL.  Wow!  It's big.  A mile's worth of trap ranges and skeet fields!  The rifle range is not nearly as developed.  Overnight rains made the 400 yards to the target line inaccessible by vehicle.  We were fortunate to get the use of a John Deere Gator from the Maintenance Shed.  Thank you Dennis Sneed!!  We were able to get everyone and everything shuttled to the range without losing too much time thankfully.

Thank you to Mikaldulee, who had just been Redhatted the weekend before, Oddball  ++), and Missouri Brigade for their instruction.

Thanks to Todd for helping set up the target line on Friday afternoon.  He had driven down for the event a day early, saw us back off the road setting up, and offered his help. 

Astrid and Cianan.  Sorry, I can't remember your ages, brother and sister between 8 and 10 years old.  Astrid had her little Cricket single shot and Cianan borrowed Bofisher's 10/22.  I don't think they missed shooting a course of fire in spite of the intense sun and heat.  They and their parents and sister Darrah had signed up for just Saturday.  They liked it so much that Dad brought the kids back to shoot on Sunday too.  The two younger kids ganged up on those AQT's.  :--- :--- Cianan took on the responsibility to inform everyone how many rounds to load in their mags for the next course of fire.

No Rifleman this weekend.  Dale was so close.  He was shooting a CZ Lux bolt action.  I don't know how many scores he had between 200 and 209.  No, upon recount and the .30 cal rule, there was no way to make the 209 into a 210.  I think he is pumped for another Appleseed.  Todd was right in there to.  Bofisher, who is already a Rifleman, brought out a new CZ bolt action on Sunday afternoon to try his hand at getting a Rifleman's score with a bolt action.  Maybe next time.

If anyone took any pictures, please post some.

Missouri Brigade

Thanks to the shooters, instructors, and those that promoted and scheduled the shoot.  I would think that this facility could host many more shoots as there is plenty of room and we weren't displacing anyone where we were at.

Here is the link to some of Gretchen's excellent pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=245121&id=297763873454&l=3bc585cb67

EEL

Appears Illinois has a new range in the south we can really use!!  Sounds like a good time was had by all.  Lots of folks helping out in whatever manner they can.  That is what Appleseed is about. 

Volunteer.  Step up.  See something that needs doing, do it.  Thanks to the staff and the shooters that helped Wurstmacher and crew put on a first rate shoot  O0

Hope to see some more pics come up.  Kids at the shoot begging to come back for more......gotta love it  @)

Nice work guys!!

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

mikaldulee

Wow, what a complex. 

I had a great time during my brief Border Raid.  I intend to do so some more... ;)

Dale was great to work with on the line...I'm sorry he didn't make it.  Great attitude, good groups, always smiling.  I had fun working with the family in the middle...even if I kept messing up their names. :-[   I missed them hollering "Mr. Mike! Come see what we did!".  Good day and a good bunch...It's things like that which keep feeding me strength to take the next step and bail a bit more.

Working outside my comfort zone (Missouri) was a new experience for me and a great one. I look forward to working with the the Illinois cadre in the future.  I learned some new methods and techniques.  I need to become more familiar with the 795.  Thank you...I will be back. 

Now maybe a raid into Arkansas... >:D 

Wurstmacher

Here is a link from the Illinois Board about the Sparta, IL Aug 21, 22 Appleseed.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=16225.0

Mutti

Thank you Wurstmacher. I posted here about my experience at Sparta.

Our 13 yo daughter Darrah comments:
I had the best two days ever at the Appleseed event on August 21 and August 22 in Sparta IL. The instructors were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. They taught me how to adjust  my scope and when the gun kept jamming they showed me what to do. On the way there I was nervous  about what to expect . I went there with low expectations and by the second day I went home knowing I did better then I thought I would. At break time they told story's about the battles of how we started out defending our weapons to protect our Rights. I learned how to lay prone (laying down), how to sit and stand. I learned that my ankles will not lock without me falling over and wearing a long sleeved shirt will help stop your neighbors brass from burning your arms. I also learned that putting your eye to close to the scope when your shooting will give you black eye. In all it was a fun experience and I can not wait until the next Appleseed.

Astrid (9):

QuoteI learned that it doesn't matter how fast you load, it matters how much accuracy you get. The instructors were Mr. Mike, Mr. Odd Ball, Mr. Wurstmacher, and Mr. MissouriBrigade. At first I doubted a lot but then when they went through the steps I felt more confident. I'm shooting a Cricket 22 Bolt Action that is a single shot. At first I didn't do to well at loading but then I got a lot better. When I got done they all said "Cease Fire. Cease Fire." My favorite part is when they say Bolts Back, Safety On, Mags out, Flags in, Ground your rifle, Step Back. It's like a poem. I think I did better with Iron sights than a scope, but a Rifleman adjusts to situations. Because one time you might not have Iron sights and you would have to use a scope.
I liked the History part a lot. One of my favorite parts was the story of 2 girls I think in Concord and once they heard what was going on they started to get their father's bullets ready. The second day I got better because I practiced a lot more. I'm saving my brass to make a project for the Fair that says Appleseed. I felt very happy when I got my kids patch. I met a lot of people there and some other kids too.
And Mr. Odd Ball "Stop it with the negative waves". Woof woof woof.

Cianan (7):

QuoteI started a little wiggly, but then the second day I started to get a better aim, keep slower and get more bullseyes. I really focused to keep my aim on the target and why I got a good shot was because I knew the abilities my gun could do and not do. Mr. Dave had a lot of experience with his gun. The instructors knew what experience their guns could do or not do. Mr. Mike and Mr. Fred helped me a lot to know that if I didn't slow down I would miss. I also got my sights on targets too.

Shooting was my favoritest part. The other instructors did really good too because they told me how much ammo to load. They helped me with my positions and helped adjust the scope and told me how to adjust it if I needed to. They said when they first got their guns that they were squiggly too.
I think getting muddy and shooting at the same time is fun.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

wooldl

A special thank you to Wurstmacher, Mikaldulee, Oddball & Missouri Brigade for taking the time to work/volunteer for such a fantastic organization...The Appleseed Project. What a great two days!! I can't seem to relay the feeling and attitude of an Appleseed to my family and friends without saying, "you just have to go to experience it". The people, the history, the learning, the shooting.....what could be better? I met some great people and had a blast. I'm still a Cook with a 209 as my top score, but I'm going to persist and get that patch at my next event. Thanks again to the instructors and a BIG thank you to Sparta's World Shooting Complex for letting us use a part of the facility.

See you on the trail!    :---
Dale
"Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present generation, to preserve your Freedom! " - John Adams

AQT Dryfire Practice mp3 files: http://www.4shared.com/folder/559qijqr/My_4shared_Sync.html