News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2011 - Minnesota Planning Schedule

Started by vmt193, August 23, 2010, 01:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmt193

OK folks, time to get started on our 2011 calendars. If you are a club contact, start working on dates for next year. We'd like to be able to promote specific events at upcoming gunshows. Post whatever you have here or send a PM to "AFTERMATH" and "vmt193".

Pssst...  Mike, Did you tell 'em how many shoots we're shootin' for in '11?  Here's a hint, it's down below!  -AFTERMATH  @)

Key:
Holiday
Gunshow
Confirmed
Pending

April
2-3  Gun Show-Brooklyn Park Armory (Croc)
9-10  Gun Show-Stillwater Armory (Croc)
16-17 Marshall - Rochester - Hinckley - La Crosse, WI
23-24 
30-1 Decorah, IA - Gun Show-Bloomington Armory (Croc)

May
7-8 Winona Exhibit-Cabelas-Rogers
14-15  Hinckley - Wells
21-22  Redwood FallsGun Show-Anoka Armory (Croc)
28-29

June
4-5
11-12 Marshall
18-19 Hinckley
25-26 La Crosse, WI

July
2-3
9-10
16-17  Hinckley
23-24
30-31

August
6-7 Picnic
13-14  Hinckley
20-21 Gun Show-MWC-Forest Lake
27-28

September
3-4 Winona
10-11 Marshall - Northwood, IA
17-18  Hinckley - Wells - Decorah, IA
24-25 Duluth

October
1-2 Gun Show-MWC-MN Ed. Bldg.
8-9  Hinckley
15-16
22-23
29-30 Gun Show-MWC-MN Coliseum

November
5-6
12-13
19-20
26-27 Thanksgiving  Hinckley

December
3-4
10-11 Gun Show-MWC-St Paul River Cntr
17-18
24-25 Xmas
31-1 New Years

Earlier this year:
January
1-2
8-9  Gun Show-Bloomington Armory (Croc)
15-16 IBC - Ottawa, IL -- Jan 15-16-17  Gun Show-MWC-Rochester
22-23  Gun Show-St. PAul Armory (Croc)
29-30

February
5-6  AIBC - Baraboo, WI -- Feb. 4-5-6 Gun Show-Duluth Conv. Center (Croc)
12-13
19-20 Gun Show-MWC-MPLS Conv. Cntr
26-27  Gun Show-Anoka Armory (Croc)  Gun Show - Pine City, Pine Tech Shooters Assc.

March
5-6  Gun Show-Mankato NG Training Center (Croc)
12-13  Winona - IBC Gun Show - Wells
19-20  Gun Show-MWC-MN Coliseum - Sports EXPO Cabelas - Rogers
26-27  Hinckley

vmt193

The Redwood River Sportsman's Club has approved the 2011 dates for Marshall.  O0

AFTERMATH

Do any of you remember back when it was tough to staff 1 shoot per month?
Well, we've come round quite a bit from these last two years!
At the picnic in Sept....  You were there, right?  Well here's a refresher:  We calculated that we are now capable of running 4 shoots simultaniously!
That gives us a capacity of 48 shoots next year.  Is it going to be easy?  No, but we'll go ahead and assume that we'll be having more Shoot Bosses and Instructors by then.  That'll spread the work load a bit!

So, see what you can do to help the Committee of Exploration, Acquisition and Support  in getting new ranges.  Because, with our current hosts; we cannot come close to making our goal!  All this work, to find setting them up and staffing them is just the beginning....  The hardest task is next!  Once they're on the schedule; we've got to fill the line! 
You don't need to be an Instructor, to help out!  We need non-instructor staffing as well! 
Ask "vmt193" or "AFTERMATH"  how YOU can become a Blue Hat volunteer!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

AFTERMATH

Proposed Hinckley dates:

Mar.  26-27
Apr.  16-17
May  14-15
Jun.  18-19
July  16-17
Aug.  13-14
Sep.  17-18
Oct.   8-9
Nov.  26-27

P.S.  The limegreen/green looked to alike on my comp, so the shows are now green. ;)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

AFTERMATH

Status request...

Elk River? Try for 3
Oakdale?  Try for 2
Duluth?  Try for 4  (feb .22-only)

Whisker

Putting in a range request form for Elk River for April 16-17 and June 18-19.  These are the dates that Joel can be there as the range liaison.  If we want more dates, we'll have to make Dean a Rifleman and get him a well deserved instructor hat.

Also, I've been in contact with the Caribou Gun Club down in Le Sueur (hour sw of twin cities).  They're interested and they have 500 yards which they made sure i knew about ;).  I'm hoping for May, July and September dates.  I'll check back here when I get an update o it. 

Hands will be full this year!
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

vmt193

Buzz and I talked to the Wells club last night. A lot of interest from the club members! I think we can probably plan on 2 shoots there. They have the host app. and just need to choose dates. I don't have range dimensions but it sounded like a VERY wide firing line. :)

They used to be active with the CMP and have several Garands and a "bunch" of ammo still laying around. They thought an Appleseed might be a good place to break 'em out and get some use out of 'em again!  :~

vmt

Whisker

Just got a response from Elk River.  It is as follows:

"Hello Tyler,

Unfortunately, Elk River Sportsman's Club will be unavailable for Appleseed events in 2011.

Scott Olson, President
Elk River Sportsman's Club"

Wonder what's up...
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

vmt193

That's a bummer.  :(

We have a little over 5 million people in this State and 3.5 to 4 million of 'em live in the metro area. We currently have close to 20 Appleseeds either approved, or darn close to it, and none of them are in the metro area. :-[

If we can't get events at the metro ranges, we need to step up our promotions efforts and get folks to the out-state ranges. ~~:)

vmt

sparks1

Quote from: Whisker on January 24, 2011, 03:48:58 PM
Just got a response from Elk River.  It is as follows:

"Hello Tyler,

Unfortunately, Elk River Sportsman's Club will be unavailable for Appleseed events in 2011.

Scott Olson, President
Elk River Sportsman's Club"

Wonder what's up...

Do we still have a contact with Dean?? Maybe he could answer this or get an answer.
This is sad news, Elk River is a great facility and close to metro. We need to get some leads going metro wise to moblize AS around here.
Any word on Sven's club in St. Paul?
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Whisker

Yeah I'll see what Dean thinks.

We definitely need Oakdale... and if we get lucky, Le Sueur will join up. 

Puma Mami

Quote from: vmt193 on January 24, 2011, 04:28:29 PM
We have a little over 5 million people in this State and 3.5 to 4 million of 'em live in the metro area. We currently have close to 20 Appleseeds either approved, or darn close to it, and none of them are in the metro area. :-[

If we can't get events at the metro ranges, we need to step up our promotions efforts and get folks to the out-state ranges. ~~:)

vmt

I'm sorry to hear it's been so difficult to get the Twin Cities ranges to schedule Appleseeds. They do seem more fussy and quirky than ranges in the rural areas are. Maybe their long wait lists for memberships make them less accommodating?

On the other hand, look what you guys have achieved with so many on the schedule for 2011 already, and you are opening up new ranges, too. Plus you are doing lots of promotions. O0

I have a few friends that are interested, but they would rather not have to camp or stay in a hotel to participate. I might talk them into camping this summer at Hinckley, though. Hopefully Oakdale will come through and they can just commute from home. My son's friend wants to go, but again, it will be harder to do that if it's a whole weekend trip. We might still be able to make that work, though.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Taylor

Plenty of space at Dicey and Taylor's place an hour or so east of Hinckley. Come on down (east?).
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

Puma Mami

Quote from: Taylor on January 24, 2011, 11:29:34 PM
Plenty of space at Dicey and Taylor's place an hour or so east of Hinckley. Come on down (east?).

Thanks for the offer! It's still kind of a drive, though. We'll see how it goes as summer approaches. Camping might work OK.

I was glad to see Dicey got her rifleman patch  O0  She was next to us on the line that Sunday, with her cute pink rifle!
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

sparks1

Hey Puma...I remember that group in your avatar!!!! Hows the dry firing going?

As far as metro ranges go...we will persevere! WE ARE RIFLEMEN AND WOMEN. That is one of our traits. We will keep on contacting ranges here and one will decide to give Appleseed a go. Just a matter of time.

(John Maxwell)

Puma Mami

Quote from: sparks1 on January 25, 2011, 12:15:42 AM
Hey Puma...I remember that group in your avatar!!!! Hows the dry firing going?

Thanks for all of your help and instruction that led to achieving that group! 

Yes, after firing that group Sunday morning, I knew I had to come back and try for rifleman. ;D I didn't try on that Sunday because I was so tired and sore, and my groups were getting worse and worse after that.

Haven't started the dry firing, but we did get signed up to go back and try for rifleman at Hinckley at the end of March. Last chance for the Winterseed rifleman patch. So now we need to start practicing those firing positions and the trigger squeeze.

If we tape a laser pointer on a rifle, would that help with practicing NPOA?

Quote from: sparks1 on January 25, 2011, 12:15:42 AM
As far as metro ranges go...we will persevere! WE ARE RIFLEMEN AND WOMEN. That is one of our traits. We will keep on contacting ranges here and one will decide to give Appleseed a go. Just a matter of time.

I'm glad you're going to persevere in getting metro area ranges to sign up!

sparks1

Yes, taping a laser pointer would help with NPOA. It would also help with trigger SQUEEZE. Watch the laser when squeezing the trigger, if one does not squeeze straight back it will pull the sights (laser) off to the side. Probably would help to have a spotter do this while the dry firer concentrates on the 6 steps.

Like the ball and dummy drill...the spotter will pick up on the mistakes and give instruction. You both know enough to work with each other and anyone else to get the basics down at home. Then in March your first AQT will be a breeze. Practice those mag changes too.

An old adage in practical pistol leagues carries over here....Go slow to go fast! In other words , get those basics down pat. It develops muscle memory which takes over in stress situations. You won't have to think about it, just do the thing. All the practice at home pays off, not only for beginners, but for all of us. In fact, I am going downstairs later to put in some time on positions. (Put on a few lbs over the past few months)

(John Maxwell)

Puma Mami

Thanks, Sparks1, for the tips! Now for the practicing  ;)

Whisker

Caribou Gun Club says they can't host this year due to over scheduling.  That's three ranges who have turned us down. Maybe someone more tactful/professional should try from now on?

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Whisker on February 01, 2011, 02:08:23 PM
Caribou Gun Club says they can't host this year due to over scheduling.  That's three ranges who have turned us down. Maybe someone more tactful/professional should try from now on?

Three?  Who's the other one?

Mr_C

Anything in the works in more the north western side of MN?

I thought last year I heard that there was a plan to host something in/around Fergus Falls. I was working with the ND guys to have one in Fargo, but the local range declared bankrupcy, so thats all in limbo. I was hoping to find something on the schedule closer... its easier to convince people (myself included) to go when it is less than 200 miles away.
Mr_C

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
   -John Adams quotes (American 2nd US President (1797-1801), 1735-1826)

vmt193

How does Brainerd sound? I'm working on finalizing details with some guys there right now.  :)

vmt

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Mr_C on February 01, 2011, 04:02:25 PM

I thought last year I heard that there was a plan to host something in/around Fergus Falls. I was working with the ND guys to have one in Fargo, but the local range declared bankrupcy, so thats all in limbo. I was hoping to find something on the schedule closer... its easier to convince people (myself included) to go when it is less than 200 miles away.

Come on...  The fun don't even start 'till you hit 210 miles. ^-^
Do you have any other leads?  We'd definately like to get up there, but I believe you're the only one in the area...  At least on this side of the border.
Is that the same range that 7.62 has been working on?   Also, I've known sparks1 to run the occasional recon up that way; but thus far hasn't turned up much....

Sparks, can you post where you've been up there, perhaps Mr_C can help us out in the area....

A good resource is:  http://www.wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp  you can even run a 218 area code search; that'll get you pretty close.

Thanks guys!

Alex
Quote from: vmt193 on February 01, 2011, 04:21:25 PM
How does Brainerd sound? I'm working on finalizing details with some guys there right now.  :)

vmt
Huzza!

sparks1

Quote from: Mr_C on February 01, 2011, 04:02:25 PM

Well I checked the Fergus Falls club out last summer and ruled it out. Facility would not do, in short. I do have the Pelican River Gun Club on my list to check into (Erhard,Mn.) , but never found the time to contact them. This could be a possibility as they have some distance.

Range listings:http://www.traderscreek.com/gun_clubs/minnesota.asp

AND.....what other range has turned us down? I heard of Elk River, and now Caribou.

(John Maxwell)

Mr_C

Brainerd would be the best bet for me of whats on the list. I was really hoping to get something within driving distance of Fargo/Moorhead. I know I could get at least a dozen people to participate if it didn't require overnight stays. Too bad on the fergus range, that would have been doable.

I looked at the website and saw there is one in East Grand Forks. I know a guy who shoots IDPA there and was just talking to him about it last night. He seemed to think the people there were pretty open and reasonable (with regards to IDPA). Hopefully the range is the same. Should I try emailing them and see if they are open to it? I don't mind sticking my neck out, but having only participated in one Appleseed weekend, I don't feel qualified to be much of a salesmen. Their email address is - info@egfgunclub.org

There also appears to be one in Grand forks that might work, but I should probably hit up the ND guys for that one. I will keep looking to see what else I can find.
Mr_C

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
   -John Adams quotes (American 2nd US President (1797-1801), 1735-1826)

Whisker

Quote from: AFTERMATH on February 01, 2011, 03:32:45 PM
Quote from: Whisker on February 01, 2011, 02:08:23 PM

Three?  Who's the other one?

The Des Moines Rifle and Pistol Club down in Iowa. 

tc95gt

Quote from: Whisker on January 24, 2011, 07:14:46 PM

Has anybody contacted Oakdale yet?

vmt193

Quote from: tc95gt on February 04, 2011, 11:24:25 AM
Quote from: Whisker on January 24, 2011, 07:14:46 PM

Has anybody contacted Oakdale yet?

I still haven't heard from anyone yet....................Sven?

vmt

AFTERMATH

Red Wood Falls sounds like a real possibility.

AFTERMATH

Mike, can we get this updated with our current leads?