News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Hinckley, MN. Aug. 14-15, 2010

Started by AFTERMATH, August 16, 2010, 08:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFTERMATH

ELEVEN
shooters escaped the wind and rain ravaged counties of Minnesota, spiting the likelyhood of more inclement weather to attend the fifth shoot at Hinckley on this past weekend; the fourteenth and fifteenth of August; Anno Domini, two-thousand ten.

Providence proved to provide a weekend escape from the daily rainstorms that had plagued the central cooridor of Minnesota for the past week.
The residual moisture, however, created a sauna-like environment through which our intrepid shooters and instructors did persevere and persist ultimately improving ourselves and our United States one shot at a time.
The morning Redcoats escaped, generally unscathed.  The results that evening were quite the opposite!

Sunday dawned drastic climate change, as the November winds began to blow!  A most excellent relief from the heat and humidity.
We had 9 shooters on this wonderful morning.  Dan couldn't settle with the one day he'd signed up for; he greeted us instructors as we arrived in the morning.  It would prove to be a good decision, as I believe his last AQT was a 191! 
By the end of Sunday; nearly all were Marksmen, the majority were Sharpshooters, and a couple were Riflemen.
Devin, who was required by Javaguy to become a Rifleman, did so Sunday afternoon busting out a 227 and a 219!
The shooters mustered the remainder of their energy and ammunition for that last AQT at aproximately 17:00.  Their last huzza had paid off, bringing forth some of the best scores of the weekend.  The feeling was solemn as we fired that last Redcoat of the weekend; as everyone was aware that this Appleseed would soon come to a close.  For Ryan, however, there was no closure.  He had aquired the forum name Smart Mouth at his first shoot.  Since then, he'd been to 4? shoots.  Each time he was humbled by that AQT.  This weekend he was determined to do it.

There's been sort of a tradition in MN, stemming from our very first shoot:  Winona, Sept. 'o8.  When the great instructors there(Iowa Mark, Alex, Johnny Appleseed, SavageShootr, and Colycat), had generously allowed myself and several other hardy shooters to fire one last chance AQT.
For that I was very greatful.  We offered that 'Last-Chance' AQT, as soon as those who had to get going got their gear off the line.  Ryan, being the definition of persistance, took us up on that offer.  Afterwards, handing me a piece of paper with 40 holes in it. 

As I counted through the stages; 48... 4(?)... 4(?)... 4(?)?x2...  My heart quickend; and I handed it off for a double-check.  Three found one more point on stage 3...  Like that really made a difference.  He'd made it!  I gathered all the instructors to present the news. 
I handed him the patch, shook his hand, and asked:
"So, what are you going to do next, Rifleman?"  He replied;
"Well, I think I'm going to need an Orange Hat."
I was more than happy to fulfill his request.

Dawn and Amanda - Next time, I'm sure you'll make the whole weekend.  O0 Probably with the brand new rifles you're gonna squeeze outta Javaguy.  >:D
Walt and Adam - I wish you could have stayed for all of Sunday, I believe both of you could have made it.  That 'work' thin kinda gets in the way....

When all was said and done; Minnesota had 2 new Riflemen and 1 new IIT!
Many seeds were planted.
Thank you to all those who could attend!

Thus, passed another fine weekend on the Appleseed Trail!

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Squib

I actually had aquired the nickname at my second shoot in duluth. And yes this was my fourth appleseed. It took a little longer then i would have liked but my persistance paid off
Squib

LaughingShooter

I think a more appropriate forum name for Smart Mouth would be "Safety On" or "Chamber Flag" :)  Good job Rifleman!  Looking forward to your mad IIT skills soon! :)

LaughingShooter

javaguy

Quote from: LaughingShooter on August 16, 2010, 09:13:25 PM
I think a more appropriate forum name for Smart Mouth would be "Safety On" or "Chamber Flag" :)  Good job Rifleman!  Looking forward to your mad IIT skills soon! :)

Agreed "Smartmouth" just doesn't fit - he uses the most respectful speech 99.999% of the time!  Mayyyyybe "FlagsIn" or "SafetiesOn"?  He's probably thinking something along the lines of "RemingtonStinks" or something similar.  He'll have a couple Remingtons for sale sometime soon I bet  ;D

colycat

Well done Alex!..... I really wish I could have been there, O0
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Squib

Well! since smart mouth doesnt fit i'm gonna have to make it fit. Ill start making smart remarks and sarcastic comments a little more. No more respective talk. I just needed to be respectful so i didnt have one of the instructors mad at me and "accidently" score one of my AQT's wrong or something like that lol. But i dont have to worry about that anymore  ;)   
Squib

russellmn

Yup, now you just have to make sure you don't score those 3s as 4s!  :D 
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

three

I was pleased and impressed with this Appleseed.  So many brand new shooters on the line, some never having fired a round through a rifled barrell before in their lives, and we instructors watched as everyone improved dramatically between Saturday morning and Sunday evening!  I saw so many of our shooters better their scores on the AQT by 100% or more!   8)  It is a fun and humbling task to teach students with ages ranging from ten years old there with their dad and grandpa to a Korean War vet there with his son and grandsons (yeah, same family! LOL)  Quite interesting to speak with Walt (grandpa) who first learned to shoot in the Marines circa Korean War Era with the same instruction we give today.  All in all, it was a great weekend, even when my new canopy blew over! (no permanent damage) ;D
Thanks everyone for attending, Laughing Shooter for stopping by and bringing The Momma  ;D, and Aftermath for a great job SBing.  Adam, Aftermath:  was a good time camping out and I hope we can do it again! 
Hey, and passing my PC3 was cool, too!   :D
Collosians 3:23 "Whatever you do, do it with all your heart.  Do it for the Lord, and not for man."

javaguy

Another rewarding Hinckley Appleseed, producing two new Riflemen, with several others making so much progress it won't be long before they achieve it.  Aftermath did a great job as SB - keeping the instructors focused, and the group continually challenged.  He did an excellent Saturday wrap-up/benediction as several shooters were there for Saturday only..
Adam, Russell, Sparks, and Three it was a real pleasure to be able to work with you all again.  I learn so much every time.
The shooters were positive and worked hard at absorbing the firehose of information and instruction even despite the heat and humidity on Saturday.

Oh and Alex's CMP presentation left Dawn wanting a Garand.  I will see what I can do about that  ::)

Look forward to seeing you all again on the Appleseed Trail!

javaguy

The new Riflemen

eyes

It's not the Heat - Its the Humility

Wow - I was truly blown away by the Appleseed experience.  As I expressed to some during the shoot, when my son was born in May of 2009, I  realized that I was now a role model on a whole new level.  Its hard to explain the combination of joy, pride, fear, responsibility and humility that I felt upon being a father.  Immediately, my mind started to review the values, skills and traditions that I wanted to share and instill in him.   There were some areas where I was seriously lacking in knowledge.

I grew up with a great Mother and Father who instilled the values that I hold today.  However, one thing that I had wished that my Father had taught me was how to shoot, hunt and field dress game.  I took gun safety as a 5th grader and saved up to buy a pellet gun, but never went hunting.

When I discovered the Appleseed Project via the Survival Podcast, I thought this could help me get the training I needed to pass on and share with my son.   Help?, Help?, Boy-Oh-Boy, I can't explain the gratitude that I have for this training and experience.  I purchased my first gun, uh - rifle, on Thursday night and by the end of the weekend I feel I can now confidently and safely teach my son to be a Rifleman.   

Aftermath - Thank you for your generosity, passion, and commitment to the Appleseed Project.  I learned more than I thought possible and you letting me use your .22 on Sunday was very cool and increased my confidence dramatically.

Sparks, Three, Russellmn, JavaGuy, and AdamT - Thanks for your guidance and encouragement.  Your dedication to the Appleseed is extremely honorable and you were all very helpful.  Sparks, I enjoyed our talks and you were patient with me even though I was pretty horrible for most of the weekend.  I learned more than I thought possible and even though I was spinning goofy for a lot of the time. 

Noah, thanks for being a great teammate on the team shoot, and training exercises.   Yikes! - watch out for Hot brass
Michael, sorry about those shots to your target, but could you keep it down over there. WHABOOOM!
LaughingShooter - I didn't get to formally meet you, but thanks for adding my score and for Laughing at me when I was brain dead for most of Sunday afternoon.
Russellmn and Walt - thanks for your service to our country. 

The whole thing stills makes me smile and shake my head in amazement.
You all saw my first 500 shots, but it won't be my last.

For Posterity-
eyes - aka Dan

P.S. For those of you who are considering an Appleseed Shoot, Go for it.  It is safe, informative, challenging, and fun.  You will learn some about the birth of America, and those who sacrificed for the freedoms we enjoy today.  If you are a good shooter, you will leave a great shooter.  If you are as green as I was you will learn more than you can imagine.  Finally, the people you will meet will renew your faith in America and what it means to be Americans.

AFTERMATH

QuoteIt's not the Heat - Its the Humility

Well, I suppose I couldn't have put it better myself.
Excellent, account!  You're much too generous.
Welcome to the forum Dan, and THANK YOU for coming.
Here's that link to the tech-sights deal:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5398.0
Blue lock-tite...  Lots of it.  O0

You'll get 'r done!

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

sparks1

Well...I guess I am late as usual. I'll try to have a longer post, so Russellmn doesn't get on me again.

Another great Appleseed...teachable attitudes were brought to the fore and instruction was taken from the firehose. Seems our Appleseeders are a breed apart, since( as usual) they keep trying and improving/ trying and improving. It is the American spirit in it's glory...set a challenge before one of us and we rise to accept and overcome. Look at our history, countless examples to prove the point. It is such an honor to witness it in person. :bow:

To all in attendance...Well Done, Well done INDEED. Count yourselves as proud Americans not afraid to get off the couch and grab hold of a share of your heritage.
Dan...your post is one of the finest tributes to the Appleseed project I have ever read.
Walt,Scott and the young men with them...great job. Walt...your shaking my hand humbled me.

2 Riflemen...remember it is the man behind the rifle, not the rifle.  O0

I look forward to another Appleseed...hard to top this. AND lest I forget...great instructors to work with.

Sparks1
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

LaughingShooter

Eyes - it was great to "meet" you as well!  I got my name from vmt at my first shoot (well, I drew it from his AAR) b/c I was having so much fun I was laughing the entire weekend (even in the rain on sunday!).  I loved shooting, hadn't done anything like it before - ever - and so I get just as much enjoyment watching Appleseeds as being a part of them!  (and we're all a little brain dead on Sunday afternoons @ AS)  :cool2:  Glad we've hooked you and so proud of you for wanting to give your son more!

Three - you KNOW there's no way I could've left the house without The Momma finding out! ;)   :D

:~