News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Slippery Rock (TM), PA August 7-8, 2010

Started by EZ3, August 09, 2010, 08:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ3

Twelve eager students showed up bright and early on Saturday morning.  Some came from out-of-state to enjoy two days of the world-famous western PA sunshine.

After a morning of high-intensity Appleseed instruction by Spanner, WVMMfalcon, Cowdog, Layke and Gumby, the shooters broke for a "working lunch", while Cowdog entertained them with the First Strike.

Jeff came to learn, but also to teach us about French and Indian war gear

and volley fire (that's Tim playing the part of the cartridge box)

Before the final Redcoat target was posted on Sunday, we found that we had two among us who knew well what they were about....Frank

and Calvin

It was another great Appleseed weekend at the Timothy Murphy Memorial DAR!    O0

"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Cowdog

Jeff's Musket demostration was a welcome way to supllement  the three strikes.

I am also happy we finally enjoyed some good weather here, after the snow in May and Rain in June 
I also found out that some instructors are handy with an Axe as well as Rifle. O0 You will notice the tarps in the backgorund of the pictures,  rigged up by Ez3 with some red pine poles cut on site.
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Spanner

I'd like to thank the twelve shooters for doing so much to recharge my batteries  O0

Everyone returned Sunday!  Everyone persisted.  We didn't run out of Rifleman patches  :'( but the rifleman spirit was there, plain as day, wherever I looked.  :)

Families and friends from one end of the line to the other.  22LR, 7.62x39, .223, .308... well, you get the picture.

One family came all the way from NY (darn near Canada)... three generations!  Jim, thank you so much.  (I think Tim, Sara and Michael found Fred's Guide in their Xmas stockings-- or thereabouts).

Good to see repeat offenders Bruce and Calvin.  Nice to see you two collecting those Appleseed T-shirts!  (How about a nice hat to go with them?  But we don't just give those away.  Wait.  Do we?  I'll have to check).

Stan wrung out some good groups with Ruger factory sights.  If I ever take up an additional hobby, maybe it will be to qualify with those sights.  (Thankfully, I don't need another hobby.) Good job Stan.  And thanks for bringing Josh.  Two whole days of trying to take a sip from a fire hose!  Not everyone gets off the couch to do that.

Jeff, thanks for the Brown Bess demo.  (Jeff camped with us at the range.  I know that you all will understand if I don't reveal any of the after hours happenings.  >:D )

Brett was the guy with the SKS.  Real nice guy.  I wonder what his friends are like.  Sure would like to meet a bunch of 'em.

I feel like I didn't get to spend enough time with John and Frank.  I hope you two got plenty of attention from Gumby.  Or layke.  Or Cowdog.  Or EZ3.  Or wvmmfalcon.  Hmmm.  Sounds like a swarm.  Someone reading this might get the impression that preparation for an Appleseed should include packing some industrial strength instructor repellent.  Like, 100% DIIT.

See you on the trail!  :))
" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

EZ3

Quote from: Cowdog on August 10, 2010, 12:56:27 AM
Jeff's Musket demostration was a welcome way to supllement  the three strikes.

I am also happy we finally enjoyed some good weather here, after the snow in May and Rain in June 
I also found out that some instructors are handy with an Axe as well as Rifle. O0 You will notice the tarps in the backgorund of the pictures,  rigged up by Ez3 with some red pine poles cut on site.

I can't take credit for the tarps, Cowdog.  I was lounging by the fire ring with Spanner while Gumby, Layke, and Jeff did the work.  They did a nice job, and we enjoyed their efforts all weekend!   

We stashed the poles in case we get lucky with the weather again in Sept. (or unlucky).  :)
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

bcurfman

Thanks to all of the instructors and to Cowdog for a great weekend.

Maybe one of these days I'll break the 210 barrier... Yeah I know... respitory pause, respitory pause. I'll practice.

Bruce
Evil is made possible by the sanction you give it - Pamela Geller

"There are some who've forgotten why we have a military. It's not to promote war, it's to be prepared for peace." – Ronald Reagan

"A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass

cr0sswind

A huge thanks to all who made this outing possible!  I wish I hadn't had to leave so soon after lunch on Sunday and miss the 3rd strike.  Had a wonderful time nonetheless.  Jeff's rate-of-fire demo with the brown bess, cowdog's telling of the first strike and EZ3's telling of the 2nd strike really gives a feel for what was going on in those historic hours.  It was encouraging to see the young shooters there for both days!

I was down at one end of the line, so was around Stan and Josh more than the others.  I hope you two can find a club near your home where you can put what you've learned to practice at a more relaxed pace.  Once you get more and more familiar with using your equipment, you'll find that the next time around, you'll be able to absorb so much more.  Keep at it - you'll be amazed at the results!

Thank you so much to cowdog & mrs. cowdog for providing such a wonderful place to shoot!

-Calvin
Rifleman Vienna, OH, April 18, 2009
Re-qualified Slippery Rock, PA, August 8, 2010
Re-qualified Salem, OH, June 28, 2014
Long Range Rifleman New Philly, OH, June 10, 2017
Re-qualified Long Range Rifleman New Philly, OH Nov 11, 2017
Distinguished Rifleman Conneaut, OH, June 3, 2018