News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Waterman, Illinois 7/31 - 8/1

Started by EEL, August 02, 2010, 04:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EEL

Wow!  Where to begin?  When Pappy and I woke up to rain, my heart sank.  Sadly, Americans have become, how should I say, "Fair Weather Shooters".  They don't want to deal with a little rain, cold temps, or blazing sun.  I wonder where we would be as a country if our Forefathers had felt the same.  What about Valley Forge?  What about 8 years of war, 24/7, fighting for Liberty?

Well, I was quickly put in my place!  We had 40 signed on for this shoot.  One shooter had called, all apologetic, that she had migraines and wouldn't be there on Saturday but would try to be there on Sunday.  I told her "No worries, hope you feel better".  Down to 39.  When registration closed up and the safety brief began at 0900 sharp we had...........37 shooters!!!  That's right 37.  Thirty seven Americans came out despite the raindrops.  And they came ready.

They absorbed the safety information like a sponge.  Rifles came to the line, were made safe, targets posted, and we were off!  As we worked through the various positions, my admiration for this group grew.  These people came to learn, elements be darned!  When the rains quit, it began to get warm.  No, HOT!  So now all that wonderful rain began to boost the humidity to, oh I don't know, 2,000 percent  :sos:  But our shooters pressed on.  Not one, not one bailed.  They all stuck it out until the last Redcoat was pulled down.

Now the big test, after getting beaten up all day Saturday by the rain, heat, humidity, and the instructors, how many would answer the bell on Sunday?  Again, I was quickly put in my place!  We knew we had some "Saturday only" shooters registered.  We had 33 signed on for both days.  Thirty two shooters passed through registration Sunday morning.  Thirty two!!!  How great is that!?  This batch of shooters showed me the true grit of what every modern day American should have.  Hydrate was the word of the day.  While the rains had left the area, that big, bright sun just beat down on us relentlessly.  Water disappeared from coolers faster than it could be replaced.  Quick review of things, a couple squares to work the kinks out, and we hit the AQTs.

A break in the day provided an opportunity to go over trajectory, come-ups, and how to shoot distance.  Since we had a number of .22s on the line, we went back to 100 yards and our shooters began ringing steel targets.  Yes, at 100 yards with the "lowly .22 rim fire".  I believe some "eyes were opened"  with respect to the ability of, not only the .22 rim, but also of the shooter's own ability to make the hits!

When Sunday closed, we had no Riflemen to show for everyone's efforts.  But is that the real measure of a good Appleseed?  I think not.  Fundamentals were learned, safety was pounded on, skills were sharpened, and confidence built.  But more importantly, I believe some more Americans were awakened to the fact that they have a say in what happens in our great land.  They hold the keys to change the course we are on. 

As for me, I couldn't be happier being "put in my place"  ^:)^  With folks out there like this group, and I know there are, America still has a chance.  Search them out.  Drag them to an Appleseed.  Get them to help you save this Union.  Your kids are counting on you!

EEL
Shoot Boss
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Johnnyappleseed

Way to go Illinois O0
Miserable weather ,yet no one  left early or skipped Sunday ^5
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Gumballhead

WATERman...hmmm.  Ottawa seems to be drying out a bit of late, and this new WATERman facility seems to live up to it's name :o.

Sounds like yous guys had a grand ole time while I was away on a secret border raid behind the cheddar curtain :D.  Lot's of shooters, great instruction, and some KD thrown in to boot!  Makes me wish I was there, but I had important work north of the border!

Thanks to all who came out, and I hope to see you ALL on the line in September!  :--- :---

mountainman2222

What a great way to spend a weekend!!!  As was mentioned it was hot.  Does EEL ever sweat? #)  Every time I go to an Appleseed shoot (this was my third) I come away with a renewed feeling of patriotism and faith in my fellow Americans.  I could never put into words how proud I am to participate in an event that, I feel, brings me closer to, and shows my great respect and thanks for the folks that put their life on the line for all of us now, and, so long ago.  I know I could have helped out on those dark days.  I choose to help out any way I can these days.  I really wanted to make the grade last weekend so that I might help the Appleseed project more directly with some, I would think, much needed manpower for the 9/11 shoot.  (I have at least two new shooters coming out for 9/11)  Alas, I did not shoot my best on Sunday.  If I have to cook I'll cook.  I will try for Sunday at McLean, IL if I can get away from Habitat for Humanity that weekend.  I am proud to be an Appleseed supporter and a member of the RWVA!!  I would like to thank all the volunteers that put in their time to make these events safe, fun and informative. O0 I always meet great people at the shoots as well.  One of the many highlights for me was the chance to fire a reproduction flintlock long gun.  That was so cool. ^:)^  Thanks guys and gals for another great weekend. 
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  --Bejamin Franklin

EEL

Can't believe I left this out  #)  Ed, one of our shooters, brought his Brown Bess, bayonet, cartridge box, and some of his attire.  He gave a demonstration with a couple rounds.  Later, he asked if any of the instructors wanted to give it a try.  Ya think?!  ;D

We took turns firing a piece of history.  I now have a more profound understanding why the British turned their heads while firing the shot  :o    Sheesh!  Gopher Boy like to set his arm on fire when the flash in the pan went off   **)

I'll try to post some pics here on the next post.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

EEL

trying yet again   :wall:

EEL

A few more:

EEL

more

EEL

still more