News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Riley IN, July 24/25 2010

Started by yellowhousejake, July 26, 2010, 06:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

We should have called this Applestew instead of Appleseed!  Saturday was hot hot hot down at the 240 yard berm. Not to worry, we had dedicated Americans who were not going back to the A/C and the couch, they were ironmen, and women. Saturday started out muggy and only got worse as the day went forward. We managed a late start do to line setup, but the time spent setting up 60ft of shelter was welcomed by lunch time, and needed by 3pm.

What a great bunch of Americans to spent a weekend with. As always, everyone was supportive of each other, smiling, and willing to follow instruction. We had no safety infractions, good groups, and even managed to get two AQTs in Saturday. We saw some excellent targets with plenty of improvement throughout the weekend. Enough improvement we saw three riflemen made, one of which started out Saturday morning not knowing how to load her rifle.

Stacy, you are an inspiration to us all. You followed the instruction and proved that non-shooters really can take the lessons, apply them, and shoot expert after only two days.

Clay, no more patches for you! Obviously you took home what you learned last year, and didn't forget it. Your groups were good all weekend.

Andrew, here we had a experienced shooter learning new things, and learn you did. You adapted to the lessons and made the grade. Keep practicing.

So many others, the Bedford contingent, you all obviously all enjoyed yourselves. We enjoyed having you. I understand the "old eyes" syndrome. Scope the rifles, come back, get a patch. I needed a scope the first time I shot Rifleman too  :)

Everyone else, James, Josh, Fred, Chad, Rod, Christina, Lloyd, and Darci (Who did I forget?)  Your shooting improved, You may not think so but we instructors saw it. Groups got rounder, more consistent, and your rifle handling became fluid and confident by Sunday afternoon. It's the little things we see as instructors that you may not.

Speaking of Lloyd, hitting 4MOA steel at 100 yards, with a factory sighted 10/22:bow:

So everyone, chime in, let's hear what your thoughts of the weekend were!

YellowHouseJake
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Oh, and before I forget, let's not give Techres too much grief over his 22LR KD performance. I kinda baited him  **)

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Mr. Deville, I'm ready for my close up now....

YHJ

YHJ

wewillsurvive

Stacy and I had a great time, we learned alot, Stacy obviously figured it out faster than me, I however am very proud of the way my wifey shot all weekend. I said this on another board andwill say it here too in case someone that has never been to a 'seed before sees it, take a sighted in rifle with you, I used up more time that could have been used learning/finding my NPOA to try to sight in two different rifles.I used two rifles of the instructors later in the day and at that point fatigue and heat were winning against my trying to learn and be patient.

Wifey needs help be back later to finish my thoughts on this weekend.

yellowhousejake

No explanations needed. I was actually watching you closely and you persevered, stayed with it, and even with rifle issues your form and use of the instruction was getting better.

I fully expect YOU to see the difference next time you shoot. In fact, I am certain of it. Looking forward to seeing both of you again!

YHJ

YHJ

SPQR

TBE and I went to our first seed in April of last year.  We've been buddies for a long time, and we have been well educated (well...kinda educated), by the great opportunities that this nation and our primogenitors have provided us.  We came with scrutiny and we left convinced.  That first seed was a magnificent experience.  I have done a lot of shooting since, and found that I needed it.  If nothing else I needed hyperaware/sensationless zen that I discovered once the Rifleman's Bubble became something I could flirt with.  Those freedom-filled byproducts don't hurt either.  Here, at my second seed, I was able to rediscover the thrill of my first seed by seeing the magic working on others and, despite my vanity, I found that I liked that even better.

I came to this seed pretty well prepared, we'd seen to that.  All I needed to do was focus on the instruction, relax, run the numbers, analyze the mistakes, make small adjustments.  Though I have a healthy respect for hubris, I wasn't too concerned about a patch.  I just needed to ensure constant improvement and the rest would work out in the wash.  I have to admit, though, that I was concerned about the weather.  I am used to being outside in this kind of weather, and I was worried about Sunday's attendance.  There were a lot of bedraggled faces walking off the line on Saturday.  I had no idea what to expect for Sunday.  What I found was a heartening collection of patriots rip-roaring and ready to go.  13 shooters had returned and all seemed eager?  The hand of Providence may well have been in it but that alone wasn't enough to ignite the thrill of discovery.

I found myself on the line next to a shooter who had struggled on Saturday.  From my vantage point they had appeared to be wrestling with crises of confidence, familiarity, exhaustion, and who knows what.  After the weather and fire-hose experience of Saturday's instruction what kind of performance could we possibly have expected?  I say to you I do not know from where all of this fear and doubt crept in to me, but it was unwarranted.  To say that her performance was inspiring does not cover the half of it and yet I do not possess the ability to fill in the rest.  From my shooting mat I got to witness, first hand, a person soak up the wonderful instruction the Appleseed Project has to offer, evaluate themselves and work to improve their ability with perseverance.  I can't say when I first saw it, it was just on the edge of my awareness, but you could see a shooter change.  You could SEE IT.  I think maybe after the second AQT there was a new person next to me.  A person who had beheld their own improvement and knew, not hoped, that they could make this happen.  This was the birth of a Riflewoman.  Here, suddenly, there was a different posture, a confidence, a serious and focused mind intent on achievement.  Now we had a familiarity with the rifle, an understanding of the process, and a totally new personality.  Now we are walking faster down to the target line, walking back to the scoring table a little faster, and hinting a smile.  Seeing Stacy get her patch, seeing wewillsurvive's pride, that was enough to completely validate that first-time Appleseed sensation I had once had.  It was great to see that joy again.

The Appleseed Project does more than help people, it helps people make themselves better.  The instructors in this outfit are doing a service to this nation that is beyond reproach or contestation.  Sore, parched, and in serious need of refilling the ammo can and yet I am more energized than I have been in months.  Appleseeds work.  Thank you instructors!   
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

yellowhousejake

Quote from: SPQR on July 27, 2010, 01:21:39 AM
Sore, parched, and in serious need of refilling the ammo can and yet I am more energized than I have been in months.  Appleseeds work.  Thank you instructors!   

I've been sitting here, when I should be working, trying to think of something else to write. I think you said it all, well enough, that I cannot improve upon it.

I would like to hear you tell others a couple weekends a year...

YHJ

PS. Check my new sig line.

YHJ

Clay

Wow, Huff....... talk about the one of the best written AARs Ive ever had the pleasure to read!!! Not only can you shoot, but man can you write!!!!!!!

Well, since I can not hope to even come close to that, here goes.

This was my 2nd time in attending an Appleseed. My first experience was in April of 09 with SPQR and TBE both on the line with me then as well. I had the *honor* at my first Appleseed of finding NPOA, getting inside that Rifleman's bubble the first day, and shooting a Rifleman's score. I attribute that to 1) having a teachable attitude. Taking everything that was thrown at me to heart, and taking big gulps from that fire hose, and 2) the instructors. Bar none some of the best Ive ever had the pleasure to be instructed by.

Because of this I was both eager to return to the line, and dreadful at the same time. I had high expectations of myself after that. Then, combined with the heat, I was down right worried about the entire weekend. I remember wanting to go to Riley in July 2009 for my 2nd 'seed, but not being able to. The one thing I DO remember was thinking about how stinking hot it was that weekend while I was at home. That combined with my expectations of myself had me worried, and the weather would not disappoint. Thank the good Lord above for HawkHaven and those portable 'car ports'! :) I remember thinking that to myself when I rolled into Riley on Saturday morning and saw the instructors down on the line setting up a covered firing line.

Saturday was brutal. I never did feel like I had a solid NPOA, but I still managed to pull together some decent groups. Having a recently zeroed rifle is a plus, as I only had to make a 1 click windage adjustment to get it where I wanted. As usual the instructors were top notch. It was nice to meet some guys I had seen on the local state forum was well, and it was nice to see TBE on the other end of the line with an orange hat on.

Sunday was a much better day. Temps were a lot more mild, and the sun decided to hide behind some clouds for most of the morning. I knew this was AQT day, and I was ready. For the weekend I never did really have good solid NPOA on every AQT. I was basically up against the Rifleman's bubble, but never inside it. For me the heat was the limiting factor. It wears the body and mind quickly, and it sure is hard to hold onto a rifle when you're covered in sweat! I would put together a good scores on portions of the AQT, but never good enough on the entire thing, until I got to the third AQT. I nailed the bottom row, and did decent on the others. My transition to prone lacked the most as I was hitting high on that one. In the end I squeaked out a 213 for my 2nd Rifleman's patch. It was a good feeling to be able to come back over year later and do it again. I wasn't as solid as the last year in many aspects, but I still had fun, was able to learn some more, and meet my goal......... and that is the entire point of an Appleseed. Meeting with like minded people on the range, learning about yourself, improving your abilities with a rifle, and getting up off the couch and doing something, and doing it all safely. Next time I just hope to do it in cooler weather ;)

Oddly enough, the best part of my weekend came from other people's accomplishments. Watching Stacy turn the struggle of Saturday into a Rifleman's patch on Sunday was absolutely the highlight of my weekend. The look on her face in the picture above is real, and its pure joy. She got it, she found her bubble, and she earned that patch. That's the beauty of Appleseed. Taking the raw natural talent of someone with little experience, and making them into a better shooter. Watching Huff/SPQR persevere was great as well. He knew what he had to do, and he got the job done, and solidly as well. Then, Ill admit it, as unfair as it was, in the end having an all Rifleman team for Parkers revenge was fun. :)

SO, thanks to all the volunteer (Neice, YHJ, Techres, BOR, TBE, Dholder) for making this another successful Appleseed!! I will see you on the line again somewhere. Im sure of that!

Clay

SPQR

Thanks Clay!

If memory serves last year you ground your elbow off on your mat and had to bandage it up.  Nice to see you get a patch you didn't have to pay for with dermal real estate.

I didn't think it was unfair.  Of course, I was happy to experience it from the Rifleman point of view! O0 
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

techres

This was a superb group of shooters.  All of you did a great job from the get go.  I must say that you all were one of the easiest bunch of students I have had with transitions learned innately, quick on the math, and an amazing amount of patience for weather that was adverse to comfort.

I will echo all that has been said here and merely add that each of you worked hard and each of you earned my team's respect as shooters and as Americans.  You are the exact people we are looking for in order to produce new marksmen but more importantly to save our nation.

You each have my thanks and appreciation,
Techres

P.S. Pics added below (if it will let me).

P.P.S. Stacy's endurance, moxy, patience, and perseverence directly led to her skill.  She is the model of that patch she earned.  I was ecstatic to award her that honor which she fully earned.  Good job!  O0
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

techres

Getting to work on Saturday.

techres

And yet more Saturday.

SPQR

YHJ - Thanks and great tag line!

Techres - great pictures!  Whoever came up with the Hoosier Sighting Device really has their head in the game.  That is a great method to train people onto the front post.  That needs to be exported to all corners because it WORKS! O0

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

techres

Sunday 1/2

techres

Sunday 2/2

(the last one is my favorite!)

TBE

I would like to thank all of the shooters that came out to Riley this weekend.

You folks handled the heat, instruction, and the challenges of marksmanship with great dignity, perseverance and courtesy.   

You thoroughly impressed me with your attention to safety, willingness to learn and your generosity towards each other and us your humble servants. 

You are all fine Americans and I am humbled by the experience. 

If you took issue with anything this weekend, please let us know so that we can improve and serve others better in the future. 

If you enjoyed and found worth in this Appleseed Weekend, please share your experience with the people in your life so that we might see them on the line. 

Please remember that our enemies are not our fellow citizens, but the couch, the television, apathy and despair. 

Thank you all for a safe, productive and fun weekend.  Your victories are our victories. 

Sincerely, TBE   
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

Chilidog

The Bedford Contingent Had a blast! We are pumped to have a appleseed at my range in Springville. Thank you so much for your instructions and history! Hope to hear from you guys soon. Sure glad Rich came back into the naughty dog to invite us to come. Woohooo!
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

wewillsurvive

Stacy and I had so much fun we signed up for the Waterman Illinois, Appleseed 300 shoot in September 11 and 12. I hope that it isn't nearly as hot as the July shoot (fingers crossed). Is anyone else going to be there?

hawkhavn

Chilidog,

Looking forward to a Bedford shoot almost as much as you!  We'll make it happen.

WWS,

In re: the Waterman shoot, I imagine most of the Hoosier instructor corps will be on the line.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Lloyd

Hi everyone,
This was my (and Darci's) first Appleseed, it won't be our last.
I was only able to attend Sunday, but the instructors tried to bring us up to speed anyway.
I've been shooting a long time and even had a little formal instruction, courtesy of the Army ROTC program. Despite that, I made noticeable progress on one Sunday!
Thanks to all who contributed... We will be back for more!
Lloyd

TBE

Loyd, it was good to meet you and Darci.  I think that your daughter picked up trigger squeeze, hold back, and proper reset quicker than anyone I've ever seen.  I look forward to seeing what you two accomplish at your next Appleseed. 

TBE 
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776