News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Duluth, MN. July 24-25, 2010

Started by AFTERMATH, July 26, 2010, 01:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFTERMATH

The anxiety is killing you, isn't it. :---
Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to keep you in suspense for a little while. >:D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The United Northern Sportsman's Club proved to be excellent hosts, once again this past weekend.
Camping, club house, modest range fees and even more modest membership fees.  I believe they made out with a few new members this weekend.
A most excellent range, right across from the lake.  I suppose a busy time of year for them.  So, I'm most grateful they allowed us the use of their facilities.  Kevin, the club's VP was most hospitable, and joined us on the line this weekend.  Even going so far as to offer a token to the 'Renegade' Shoot Boss this weekend!  Thanks again!  I'm sure someone will post a pic.  We managed to award him something this weekend, as well. ;)

The Instructors were as follows: 

AFTERMATH - the 'Renegade' Shoot Boss
vmt193 - MN's very own, 'Hardcore' Red Hat
Crash - Thought he could sneak across the boarder and infiltrate our ranks, we busted him and put him to work! ~~:)
Brad76 - With plenty of shooters in tow, as always!
BrassBucket - It's her range, and she made that known. ~~:)                 ::)
Adamt - His first full run as IIT
Javaguy - Honing his skill in anticipation of taking MN by storm!
GRYPHON - Workin' on his center-fire skills, though not escaping his duties.  ~~:)
Russellmn - Duluth-Famous' most photogenic shooter turned IIT.

We were to greet eleven shooters on Saturday morning.  All were greeted by rain.  That didn't hinder things one bit.
The lot of us trucked along, making great progress throughout the morning.  As someone had predicted the rain ceased sometime after noon.
Leaving us with cool overcast.  The picturesque shooting conditions.  A few of the shooters had previous Appleseed experiences, a couple being veterans of Henderson's mud, water and snow; they were delighted by the rain and ecstatic when we were left with only clouds.  All of the shooters maintained high spirit thoughout the inclement weather.  Rain or shine, we're on the line!
Chris, an AS veteran and also a homemade Rifleman, took advantage of the opportunity to prove his skills at a shoot this weekend.  Hammering expert scores throughout the course.  Perhaps, a new hat awaits him in the future.   >:D 
The Redcoats on Saturday evening, were surprisingly better than I'd have expected after such a long, but informative day.
Alas, only one shooter would be unable to return for Sunday.  Derek will be back!  Afterall, he had his fist through the door, pounding out 208's and 209's....  Soooo, close! 
Nate had ridden down from Tower with him.  He was only planning to shoot on Sat, as well.  His scores convinced him otherwise.  He was so close, he took the ride home and returned Sunday to get his patch.  It proved to be worth it!  I believe he was the first Rifleman of the day!  Two more would follow.  Pat, Javaguy's father, is one dangerous old man.  And, as I alluded to earlier, Kevin, UNS's very own VP scored Rifleman as well!  With a .22lr you wouldn't bring home to mom.  :--- 
All of the shooters improved despite the scorching sun that heated their rifle and turned their skin red. (I guess that's why they call it Sun-day...)
They persevered until they'd met their physical limitations.  We wrapped the weekend up with weekend up with some impressive Redcoats, a quick KD module(by Russellmn), and the benediction.

Seeds were sown this weekend, may they grow strong and fruitful!
Thus, it was. My last shoot as a 'renegade' SB.

Aftermath

p.s.  Unfortunately, that nice young reporter did not join us this time.  Much to the dismay of Russellmn. @&)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Old Glory!

Quote from: AFTERMATH on July 26, 2010, 01:21:05 AM
We were to greet eleven shooters on Saturday morning.  All were greeted by rain.  That didn't hinder things one bit.

Rain or shine, we're on the line!

Now there's a motto you proved to emulate! 

The extremes usually provide plenty of time for history; be it rain, snow, too hot, too cold. 

Quote from: AFTERMATH on July 26, 2010, 01:21:05 AM

Seeds were sown this weekend, may they grow strong and fruitful!
Thus, it was. My last shoot as a 'renegade' SB.

Aftermath

Good event you 'renegade' 'scalawag' SB. >:D   
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

crash

my first time calling the COF as SB need a little practice but could have been worse I guess.  sorry for my mistakes I was nervous.  I love meeting new IITs and shooters who love this dang country enough to show up.  Thanks to all you shooters for making it a great saturday for me!  Wish I could have stayed for sunday but the fam needs me too.  See ya the next time.

p.s. where are the photos???!!!?????  and any chance we can get our hands on the video?
"The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting."
― John Adams

BrassBucket

This weekend's shoot moved more quickly than some, in part because of all the returning shooters. A testament to the Appleseed Project - shooters want to come back with friends, family, coworkers, ex's  ^-^ It means we are doing something right. That is what makes giving up an entire weekend in summer so worth it (that and the awesome tan).

Some of the newer shooters may have felt overwhelmed at first by all the information and rapid progression through the courses of fire, but hopefully still got a lot out of each. Remember, it takes time and practice to internalize all the information and even then it is a perishable. Even more reason to come to your next Appleseed (and bring a Newbie to take your place as the new shooter)!

Undoubtedly I will see many of you again - and look forward to it.

(Russell posted pictures from this weekend on FB but not on AS, hmm...)

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

- Col. Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

russellmn

Ummm, I didn't take any pics, let alone post any.   ::)    Now, Javaguy may have posted some on FB...
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

wintermute76

I'll have my patch one day soon  :wb: Wished I could have made it back for Sunday, Nate made sure to let me know what I missed bright and early Monday as he strolled thru the door at work with his Rifleman patch, he didn't wave it in my face too much tho  :-\

Despite the rain I had a great time as usual. I was also surprised at how hot .22 brass is, and for how long. Ended up with a huge blister and several smaller ones.

Glad to meet all of you, and some once again. If anyone comes up north, drop a line and we can hit the range in Hibbing. Or wait for the next Appleseed here, it's only a matter of time  >:D

dragonfly

I was also surprised at how hot .22 brass is, and for how long. Ended up with a huge blister and several smaller ones.

wintermute76,
You were in the Rifleman's bubble  :~ , it only hurts for a little while and the scar's are like a badge of honor  O0 . I don't feel the hot brace until after I hear cease fire, But man does it burn afterwords  :'( .

Great shoot Guys  O0
See you on the trail.

dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

javaguy

Very enjoyable shoot and with all the great staffing I was able to take a few pix for a change.  Tried to fill up the memory chip without success (took like 260!)  I radically downsized them - posted at least half of them on FB.  No video this time but I will be ready with vidcam for Brad's history next time.  My dad scored Rifleman!!  Twice per week at the range and dryfiring certainly helped, as did the sling adjustments.. Now he is talking about centerfire..just maybe he's hooked?

sparks1

Don't let the Wisconsin crowd of Instructors see that hat.....They'll all be bugging Fred for one also.  **) **)

great job guys and gals.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)