News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Re: Tornado RBC in Kansas

Started by The Guy, July 12, 2010, 09:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Guy

So.....

We had a tornado (almost, took cover in the bunker, hail, heavy rains, hurricane winds, long gone pop-ups, so no more sun shade starting tommorrow).

We also made two new Riflemen, Jolly BFD and Scarecrow, with several more knocking on the door.  Just in time too as it was getting dark...... at 1530..... :sos:

Finally.....

I got a hair cut.   8)  Your welcome Fred and Mom.

I imagine pics will follow someday....

Boba Fett

Quote from: The Guy on July 12, 2010, 09:28:54 PM

I got a hair cut.   8)  Your welcome Fred and Mom.

I imagine pics will follow someday....

Can't wait to see that!  :o Did you get a buzz or just a trim?

BF

4bfox

And here's the birthday boy.....17 yrs old...qualified 2-3 times, who's counting?

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

Dinky Dao

Alright all, here's the link to the Appleseed Radio show which featured students from the RBC here in Eureka, KS this past Tuesday.  :o ;D :D

The show was coming live from the firing line!   ^:)^

Enjoy!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/appleseedradio/2010/07/14/the-times-that-try-mens-souls

(click on the link and give it a few minutes to load, k?  O0)
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

AFTERMATH

Huzza!

We all know it'll take more than a pathetic tornado to stop Riflemen!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Greg in MO

What does a Rifleman do when his hair gets in the way of his sights?  The only thing he can do...

Did someone mention pictures for the historic haircut?

Before...

The Aftermath...

The Results...

Up for auction...

An iconic piece of Appleseed history.

I'll let Cookie Lady give the details, as she was the one who did the deed.  It actually looks pretty darned good.

Greg

Cookie Lady

This was the first RBC that I've been able to attend. I've been told that they were different than just a regular Appleseed week-end, but I had no idea what I was getting into. :o

I was at the equipment line taking a water break when Guy came up beside me. "Do you cut hair?" is not a question I've ever been asked at an Appleseed before... Fortunately for Guy, I've been cutting my husband's hair for several years now - who knows what desperate measures he would have taken otherwise.  ;D  They brought me a pair of bandage scissors and asked if those would work. Uh... no. Honestly I was getting a little nervous that they would actually find a pair that _would_ work. Out came some sewing shears, so I was on the hook.

After making sure that Guy was really serious about the whole thing, the chopping began. There was a pretty impressive pile of hair on the ground by the time we were finished. Although I could have used a razor to clean up the neck a bit, it actually turned out pretty well. Who woulda thunk?

Guy's comment? "Maybe now I won't be mistaken for a Vietnam vet."

The tornado came later that day - maybe I upset the balance of nature...  ;D

Truly boot camps are a different experience. There is a lot more time to get in depth information about KD, history, and how to run a shoot. It was also really good to observe the experienced red hats work with shooters to overcome their quirks.

Last, but not least, it is an opportunity to spend more time getting to know that wonderful breed known as Appleseeders. There was a fantastic group out there, and I hope to get to work with them again soon.

Thanks for everything!

Cookie Lady

Boba Fett

OMG...  :o Still can't believe it. You did do a nice job though Cookie Lady!  O0

The tornado was obviously sent from the hair gods in anger of what had just occurred.  :bow:

Did you all gather up the hair and bury it? That's worthy of a headstone of some sort.

Let the headstone captions begin  ;D :

Western Rose

Dinky..... tell me you -did- use the pool for our two uses. ??? :sos: You know, the two we came up with on the radio? Actually, Guy could be the one to answer that question. >:D

Cookie Lady...You should have "accidentally" messed up and had to go with a buzz. ;D Naw, looks good. O0
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Fred

Geez, underneath the rat's nest was a pretty decent-looking fellow!

Cookie Lady, lunch is on me, once we meet up! O0 :bow: O0 (Be sure and remind me!)

(In fact, you may never need to buy lunch again. ;D)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

The Guy

I feel naked and violated.....

:sos:

Anyway.....

I admit I very impressed with the Instructors from Kansas and Texas for the RBC.  They were very good to begin with, learned quickly to fill in the few gaps, and were very bright and eager.

We made it to distance on wednesday, and were there for the rest of the week.  We saw new Riflemen and Women being made, and some previously .22 only shooters stepped up into the world of real rifles.  I was very proud of the whole group.

Well done.

The main thing we did diferent was to take a seiesta to approx 1600 hrs many afternoons to duck the worst of the heat, then returned to shoot till dark.  The siestas were a mix of nap time and class time in the mess hall, so it worked well.

It was nice to meet fellow Redhats like Pop, Henschman (did I spell that right?) and The ][rishman for the first time, and a pleasure (like always) to work with Cookie Lady and Greg in MO again.

Scarecrow, Biker, Johnny, Connie, 4bFox, Jason, it was a pleasure to meet you and work with you for the week.

Art, the RBC fanatic, good to see you again, and we will see you in Ossage this fall, if not sooner!

Finally, just to mention, this RBC was at church camp.  Sweet lodgings and fantastic cover.  Cover, that is, for that near miss tornado.....

What?  In Kansas?  Whoda thunkit......

:D

Keep the Faith,

Guy

crak

Whaddaya mean, naked?

Some of us still remember the pre-stache Guy.  :o
Check your drama at the door.

vmt193

I dunno. Still looks a little shaggy to me.

henschman

I really wish I could have stayed for the entire Boot Camp... hell, I probably would have stayed one more day if I'd known we were doing KD on Wednesday.  I really would have liked to have seen KD taught by master instructors.  

Oh well, there's always Osage Beach in the fall.  As it was, I still learned a lot things about instructing that I can bring back to my Oklahoma crew.

It was really great to meet everybody, and I had a great time for the 3 days I was able to be there... even though I did get kicked out of the only bar in Eureka on Monday night.  Sorry, it's not really a very good story... I thought I'd go shoot some pool in town after everybody had retired for the evening, but it turns out the only bar around is a members-only club.  >:(  I got the "can't you read the sign" treatment.  Sign, sign, everywhere a sign...

The swimming pool was huge, and VERY nice to have at a July RBC in Kansas, as you might imagine.  The whole tornado thing was interesting... though my M1A probably didn't think so (she was field stripped and in the middle of getting cleaned when we were told to go to the shelter NOW!!!)  Oh well, she still shot reasonably well for me the next day when I decided to zero her with the new Portugese ammo I bought, so I guess she's not too upset.  The tornado shelter was really nice, too... I would have felt very safe there if the tornado actually did end up going over us.

The next day, Appleseeders once again proved to be the most resourceful people around when we fixed all but one of the pop-up canopies that had been ravaged by the gale-force winds, using parts from the one that could not be salvaged (sorry Will!).  The students all had great attitudes and all showed a lot of improvement, at least in the 3 days I was there.  I guess Guy agreed, since he took them to KD the day after I left.

There were a lot of firsts for me at this Boot Camp... it was the first time I'd seen a tornado, a swimming pool, or a haircut (right on the firing line) at an Appleseed.  Good times!

I hope to see you all soon... and hopefully next time I see any of you I will be "the Henschman, Esq."
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

4bfox

Wow! Fantastic week.....GREAT to finally meet Dinky and The Guy! Excellent group of people attending the RBC and AS.....several Riflemen produced....hopefully The ][rishman will provide stats....

I'll post pics ASAP....trying to catch up right now. Thanks again to  everyone who attended!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

ghostrider

:)We had a great time, and the instruction was excellent, Connie and I learned a lot. I am also impressed that you had a barber on site to give "Guy" a haircut. 4bfox, thanks for hosting such a great event, It was a pleasure meeting all of you, and if any of you are in our neck of the woods of East Texas gave us a hollar. :)
As always in honor of those willing
to take a stand for justice, with the
sword of freedom.

"This We'll Defend"

www.8thtxcav.org

Scarecrow

Whoo! This event was everything hoped for and more.
Registration fee - $200.
Mangled canopy - $130.  :)
8 days with The Guy, Dinky Dao, Gregg in MO, Cookie Lady and Pop - Priceless!   ^:)^
Thanks to the Kansas cadre for hosting.  :bow:
Anyone who has not experienced an RBC really cannot know what one is.
Heat, humidity, rain, damaging wind we had.
Adapted and moved on.

ksuguy

Wish I could have gone to it, but I couldn't take a whole week off from work.  It was nice seeing everyone on Saturday though.   

I need to go to one just so I can get a chance to shoot instead of instructing and/or running the line all the time.

AFTERMATH

QuoteWhoo! This event was everything hoped for and more.
Registration fee - $200.
Mangled canopy - $130. 
8 days with The Guy, Dinky Dao, Gregg in MO, Cookie Lady and Pop - Priceless!   

Wow!  You got off cheap!
You should have seen the damage from my Osage saga last Oct.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]