News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ottawa, IL AAR June 12-13

Started by EEL, June 14, 2010, 04:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EEL

Ahhh, another shoot at sunny Ottawa.  No wait, that was the close of last year!  The rains returned to Ottawa for this shoot  !@#)  BOTH DAYS!!  Gopher Boy was running the show as Shoot Boss in Training (SBIT) and, for  his initiation, just as he completed the explanation of the Red Coat, the storms let loose.  Shooting in the rain isn't unusual at Ottawa, but due to the the lightning, range personnel wouldn't let us shoot. 

Eventually, the rains ceased and we were under way.  10 shooters braved the elements to come out and learn their history and heritage in spite of the weather.  Robert, one of our shooters remarked that there were 9 (NINE!) friends that said they would come out with him, but failed to show.  Summer Patriots and Sunshine Warriors.  How far we have fallen!  :'(  Our shooters listened intently and applied the instruction.  Nice groups were found downrange so we were able to move quickly through our instruction program.  Saturday ended just how it began, a downpour.  Gopher Boy took advantage of the pole barn there and did some more history and some 7th stepping.  When the rain subsided, not quit, we were back on the line to shoot the Red Coat.

Sunday all but one of our shooters returned and after a quick review, we were neck deep in brass.  But Mother Nature was not to be denied.  She teased us most of the day with some light showers, then decided play time was over.  Cloud formations that would make Tom Skilling giddy rolled in and the rains followed.  Lightning, again, halted out shoot.  On the all clear, we shot the team TV target.  Not even close.  Team two smoked Team one by a wide margin.  Even in Florida, where hanging chads are accepted, Team two rocked!!

We forged but 1 Rifleman this weekend.  He dodged the Appleseed Baptism by 1 shooting a 211.  Congratulations to Chris.  Steve, a returning rifleman, backed up his patch with some fine shooting and then asked for an Orange Hat.  Thanks for stepping up Steve!!  ^:)^

The weekend closed with strong advances for Appleseed and the Country.  Gopher Boy is on his way to becoming a Shoot Boss, Karl advanced as an IIT, Steve joined the ranks of those willing to sacrifice personally to help bail, Chris has started on the road of a Rifleman, and several shooters are knocking on the 210 door. 

I hope to see all of you at another shoot, be it Ottawa or one of the many other locations Appleseed will be at.  Summer Patriots and Sunshine Warriors ? ? ? Not a one to be found in this bunch.  O0  Dedicated Americans, each and every one.

Thanks again for coming out, enduring the weather, and having an interest in saving our blessed country.

EEL
Shoot Boss
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Gumballhead

Like the man said...we got some rain at Ottawa.   :wb:

Well, rain or shine, our shooters were ready for the challenge.  We were delayed a little by the weather, but with nearly a 1:1 instructor to student ratio, we quickly made up for last time.  Quick progression was made, covering the basics, and we were making some great progress, however Mother nature decided we had made enough progress on day one, and we retreated to the barn for some history. 

Almost everyone returned for day two, and after a couple of squares, we were looking downrange at our first AQT.  We have many shooters knocking on the door, with one shooting a 164 on the first AQT, and this Appleseed was her first time handling a rifle  ^:)^.  I saw great progress from our shooters, and I'm confident with some dry fire drills, and practice with these "new" positions we showed them, we'll be looking at new riflemen.  Late in the afternoon, we saw a familiar pair of faces approaching from afar.  It was none other than Pappy and Dana coming down to check in on us.  Great to see you both!

Congratulations to Chris, this was his third event, and he put it all together to claim that elusive rifleman score!  O0  Also, a warm welcome to Steve for taking the orange hat.  I'm sure you will have quite a bit to add with your historical background, and I for one look forward to working with you at future events.

A big thank you to the other instructors for enduring the heat with me.  Seems the pattern of hot, humid, rainy, steamy, then cool was in a loop.  Working with you all made this another successful Appleseed event, and I look forward to working with you again!

Hammer

Sorry we could not make it this weekend.  Congratulations to Chris and Steve.    See y'all at Bonfield.

"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories."  - Thomas Jefferson

Gravy

Many tanks to EEL, Gopher, Gumball, Carl, DOM, and everyone who helped at this weekend's event!  I had a great time despite the weather. 

I'm very proud to have received the Rifleman badge.  Not only does it reflect a level of shooting competence, but I feel like I became a citizen this weekend.  I just want you all to know that if push ever came to shove, and we needed to defend our country from any enemy (foreign or domestic), I promise to be there to defend it.  Today, there's another ΒΌ sq. mile of protected American soil due to your efforts.

It certainly doesn't stop here either.  I know there is a lot more practice and training needed.  I just registered for the 300 person Waterman event - I can't wait to see that group!  I'll be practicing/training with the Garand for this one.  We're going to make some noise on Sept. 11&12!

From behind enemy lines in Cook County,
Chris

Shooter30-06

This was a very well run shoot even with the rain.  Gopher did a nice job as Acting Shoot Boss although he does have some funky dance moves!  All of the Instructors were very helpful.  I would like to offer a special note of thanks to Karl for his help.  I would also like to thank Viper for the Gator Aid which tasted good in the humid heat.  I hope to see you all soon.
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Karl

It wouldn't be an Ottawa AS without rain... :) In fact if it didn't rain I would think I'm in the wrong place or I'm dreaming.

I'm extremely pleased and impressed on how well the entire group took to the instruction over the weekend.... O0 Even though we has struggles with the weather, all of you showed the perseverance needed to become riflemen.

G-Boy, as allways, did do a great job as Shoot Boss IT, but I still am having a shiver run up my spine every time I picture him performing his NPOA dance. ;D I do believe when he said you'll never forget it. :o

Congratulations to Chris and Steve......Chris achieving Riflemen and Steve backing up his previous riflemen score and taking on the orange hat..... I look forward to seeing you on the trail real soon.

I hope to see everyone at another AS real soon.......How about Waterman Sept 11&12.  :cool2: I see that Gravy registered; how about you....

Imagine the site of 299 of your fellow Americans on one line during a Course of Fire......I can't wait.

Now that gives me a shiver up my spine.......but in a good way... :)

Thanks,

Karl
"corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
"Si hoc legere potes nimium eruditionis habes."

Johnnyappleseed

Hi there Ottawa Crew ,
Nice to see the weather is consistent  ::)
Congratulations GBoy on SBIT .
Looking forward to assisting in Illinois at some time.
Hi Karl --- I think we met when you scored Rifleman. Happy to see you again.
Greetings from Cali.
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge