News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marshall, MN June 12-13, 2010

Started by vmt193, June 14, 2010, 01:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmt193

AAR - Marshall, MN June 12-13, 2010

I'd like to thank all the shooters for being so patient with me Saturday morning. I know that going to a shoot and getting stuck indoors for half a day had to be tough, but I was gambling on the weather radar I had seen that morning and luckily it worked out OK.

I'm sure Aftermath will be along with some photos but I'll get started here with a quick weekend review.

Review:

Saturday started out pretty wet so we stayed camped out in the clubhouse most of the morning and went over, Safety Rules, Line Commands, 6 steps, building a good position, SHFs, NPOA, and some history. By late morning the rain let up so we moved out to the range and started getting gear set up. As the rain picked up again, we decided to call an early lunch that worked out well. The rain slacked off to a light drizzle and we moved out onto the line around noon. With just short reviews on the subject matter before each string, the shooters were able to get back on track and finish off the day with 3 AQTs under their belts. At the close on Saturday we had no riflemen, but John had turned in a 209, Red had picked up where she left off in Hinckley last fall and rapped out a 205, and a lot of you were shooting to the point that we knew we'd see some good scores on Sunday if you could keep the equipment gremlins off your back and remember to put ALL your rounds onto the same sheet of paper. You all know who you are.  :wb:
And we can't forget Brian and his self-extracting extractor.

Sunday began with a very light drizzle that petered out into a nice cloudy & cool afternoon. Tim our 'Sunday Only' shooter came out with his conversion kit equipped retro M16 clone and proceeded to clean the first Redcoat of the day. After some review and a few exercises to make sure everyone was up to speed, we began the AQTs.

Right before the lunch break John managed to squeak in with a 210. John, Sorry about that wet Hawaiian shirt but Mary II and Kevin insisted that I let them have their fun and, well, you did earn it.  >:D

After another super lunch provided by the shooters and the Redwood River club, everyone was back out on the line for another go at those AQTs. Tim was next to step up and fire a 221 from his retro M16 clone. He did eventually top that one with a 244 just an AQT or so later.  :bow:

Red also scored a 206 in spite of dropping a few rounds outside the lines but her ability to keep tuning in those low 200 scores makes her a patchless rifleman in my book. Red, I'm confident you'll get that patch in Hinckley in a couple weeks but what I really want to see are the pictures of you with that 'expert badge' dangling off your uniform at Ft. Jackson this fall. Good Luck!  O0

To break things up we worked out the rules to a Marshallized version of a Parker's Revenge team challenge, and after a quick strategy session by groups, the results showed that in order to prevail in this event, you needed to have at least one of the female shooters on your squad. Good job ladies.  ^:)^

As the end of the day rolled around, everybody wanted just one more crack at those AQTs, so Aftermath got 'em lined up and cranked out just one more. When it was all said and done, our weekend tally of riflemen had just doubled in size. Erik and his bolt-action magnum were good for a 221. And Brett, thinking he would be walking away empty handed due to a weekend plagued by magazine malfunctions, almost threw away his AQT with holes totaling 211. I guess even some of those Navy guys can shoot!  :~

I hope to see all you young guys back on the line in September with some of you buddies form school. You too, Buzz!

Mary I & Mary II, you guys are so close now that you HAVE to come back.

Mary I, thanks for coming back and jumping in to help out with the team events. To go from missing the paper Saturday morning to a 188 Sunday afternoon, was (as the saying goes) "Totally Awesone" fer shur. I'll push you just a little harder next time.  ~~:)

Mary II, how did that last AQT go for you with the bolt-action? I forgot to check back with you after we were all done.

Thanks again to my fellow instructors and to you all for being such a great bunch of students/shooters. Hope to see you all on again soon on the Appleseed trail.

Mike (vmt193)

habs

Thanks to all the instructors who came down. Everyone learned a lot.  Everyone I talked to wants to come back on Sept. 12, but many of the kids will have the big 4-H shooting sports event that weekend.  Good show, guys.

Awesome job with the history as well.  It was relevant and personal.  That instills pride in our heritage and traditions.

Hopefully next Appleseed i can keep all my rounds on MY paper.

See you all soon

John

vmt193

Here are some numbers you might find interesting. These are the final results showing the overall improvement of your effective range skills as shown by the Redcoat targets from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon. The chart gives the percentage of ALL shooters that were skilled at each distance.

Distance   Saturday AM      Sunday PM

100 yd      36%         92%

200 yd      27%         75%

300yd      9%         42%

400yd      9%         25%

vmt193

Quote from: habs on June 14, 2010, 02:25:19 PM
Thanks to all the instructors who came down. Everyone learned a lot.  Everyone I talked to wants to come back on Sept. 12, but many of the kids will have the big 4-H shooting sports event that weekend.  Good show, guys.

Awesome job with the history as well.  It was relevant and personal.  That instills pride in our heritage and traditions.

Hopefully next Appleseed i can keep all my rounds on MY paper.

See you all soon

John

You weren't the Lone Range there, John. Just the most noticeable.

mike

sparks1

My kudos to ALL for perservering in our Minnesota weather.  O0 O0

Congratulations to the Riflemen and to all participants. Sounds like a teachable attitude was the most common thing brought to this Appleseed. When I look at vmt's statistics I can see ya'll excelled.

Job well done, well done indeed.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Sven

Despite the soggy start to the weekend there was a lot of progress made over the two days and some very interesting rifleman scores turned in, along with a first time participant cleaning his first Redcoat target, but then Tim is a man who knows very much what he is about.  The facility at the range is great and it helped us to take that soggy Saturday morning and turn it into some effective training time.  Two of the four Riflemen produced Sunday shot their scores with Bolt Action rifles, very impressive.  John's Czech Lion with its notch type sights did indeed roar!  Eric also shot his rifleman score with a bolt action 22 magnum that did its own share of roaring!  Four of the shooters at this Appleseed used bolt action rifles no shirking here.  My sister Mary came up from Sioux Falls and stuck it out to go from absolutely no knowledge of rifle shooting to a score of 188, very good!  Kirsten continues to make progress and I fully expect she'll take home the patch at her next Appleseed.  O0 All the shooters made significant progress and a good time was had.  I always appreciate an opportunity to work one of these events as I invariably learn a lot.  Thanks to my fellow instructors and the students, I am already looking forward to the September shoot.
"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

AFTERMATH

What? ???
Here I thought I'd already written my report....
Well, let's see what I can recall...
Pics may help...

Yes, it was raining pretty good.  So, we started inside with lots of dry-fire practice.  Note, the targets on the table, remnants of our mock target line earlier.  Why are they all just sitting there? 

Well....  They're listening to this guy, Sven tell First Strike at lunch.  There's only one way to follow up his story....

To the line!  Don't fuss the fact it's still raining a bit.  Actually, don't even bother to stay dry, just get wet.

Well, the rain had subsided towards the end of the day.

(Unfortunately, I usually forget I have a camera at some of the best times...)

Sunday started, as Mike said, with drizzle.
I believe we got in one AQT before lunch...  Durring which Habs squeaked out that magic number.

Kmk was waiting for that all week. ;)
Then Tim kicked down the door and proceded to clear the building with authority.

No doubting, he knows what he's about!

And yes, some Navy guys can shoot!

Congrats Brett!

At the end, we had time for one more AQT...

Erik made it just in time.  I guess shooting crows Saturday night pays off!

Team exercise #1

Team exercise #2

The strategy that proved effective, in both instances, was to have at least 1 female on your team!
Huzza!

Quotehttp://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs653.snc3/32264_1441484350404_1031938157_1329092_2584040_n.jpg
Red, Mary I, and Mary II-Proving that women can make a highly effective 3-(Wo)man team!

Well, as always the case, all good things must come to an end....  To my great regret.

4 Riflemen, improvement across the board, one helluva way to spend a rainy day....Or two.
MN's first shoot at Marshall-a raging success!  Persist, persevere, conquer!

Remember, while we have a lot to gain; we have even more to lose...

[catching a view of the Minnesota River Valley, on my journey home to prepare for the next Appleseed]

Aftermath

(p.s. by all rights, Red should definitely have her patch by now.  By all other definitions she is a Riflewoman)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

vmt193

Red has shot more Riflewoman qualifying scores on all 4 stages than a lot of people I know. She just never gets them all on the same AQT. :wb:

vmt

Johnnyappleseed

Hi Mike ,
We met at Wynona sept08 --- .
Great to see you SB -- TY for the pics and sharing info
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

vmt193

JA, I remember well.  O0 That was a great inaugural shoot for MN with a boat load of top notch instructors from all over. We're on our way to being able to staff them all like that with all home grown 'seeders'.  ^:)^

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on June 29, 2010, 11:20:46 PM
Hi Mike ,
We met at Wynona sept08 --- .
Great to see you SB -- TY for the pics and sharing info
JA

AFTERMATH

It was surely an 'All-Star' Line-up!

My how far we've come....
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]