News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waterman IL, June 5-6, D Day 2010

Started by Ewald, June 07, 2010, 12:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ewald

Guess I'll start this one as odds are the Red Hats are out conversing about Appleseed matters with a visitor from out East. I only attended Sunday for this one. Yesterday I was sitting in my office twenty miles away watching the hail failing outside the window and thought, "Those poor shooters out on the range." Then I looked at the spreadsheet I was working on and thought, "Man I wish I was with them."

About a month ago I had the pleasure to meet Fred. Right then I figured if that man can make the trip to Illinois to further Appleseed, the least I can do is promote Appleseed in my proverbial backyard. This morning I knew what to do. I grabbed my gear and went to the range. There I found people I now view as old friends.

My pictures are at: http://picasaweb.google.com/GeoEwald42/WatermanDDay2010?feat=directlink

By my count there were 13 shooters on the line this morning. The group really jelled with the fire team televisions shoot. No riflemen today, but there are a couple knocking on the door. Keep at it boys. I know we will see you again. When we went down to shoot steal at hundred yards, we could see a wall of water falling 300 yards behind us while we were relatively dry. What we couldn't see was Pappy running around in the deluge securing all our gear. Thank you Pappy.

What did I learn today? I learned I can pick up a buddy's rifle and put rounds on target at distance. I learned I can take a buddy's ammo, put it in my rifle and put rounds on target with rifle at the same distance even though internet "experts" say 75 grain .223 wont work in my 1/9 twist carbine. I learned I can make buddies with people I never met before, form a fire team, and jointly obliterate The Guy's television set in a state were hanging chads don't count. In spite of life my rife with stress, this stuff works.

What did I learn today? I learned Appleseed.

colycat

Ewald,  your post is inspirational!!!!
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Ashes

Great 'Seed this weekend!
We had students excited and talking about bringing whole family units, friends and neighbors out to the next Appleseed.

DOM got out on stage for the first time and told the story of the Second Strike and the story of Hezekia Wymann. Gumballhead went on to tell the story of David Lamson and Mother Betherick. I got to tell the story of Samuel Whittemore (THANKS FOR THE NOTES Gumballhead!).

Pappy and Eel led the day on Saturday. Eel pontficated at the end of the day benediction on what it means to be an American and in an emotional response the skies themselves opened up and started crying.. Yes, we all got drenched, but we were proud of it!  ^:)^

Garand69 and Ewald joined the group on Sunday and things really went rolling. This included early morning gunsmith work to sorting out new Sunday only shooters. Everyone enjoyed shooting steel at 100 yards. The .22rimfire folks seemed very impressed at their ability to ring steel even at that distance. Even under threatening skies that wanted to drop gumball sized drops of water on us didn't deter the group when the thought of shooting at steel came up.  ;D

hmm... what else...
Oh yeah, Fred came out to join the fun as well! Busy busy man. Seems to be everywhere at once!  O0

Hammer

Trek #5 and counting,  Cindy and I thought for sure this was going to be "THE" one... Great instructors, tight, touching groups for both of us Day 1, ongoing encouragement, and Fred showing up to add pressure to boot...jeesh it all was lined up...  Alas, it wasn't meant to be on this weekend - yet.  Persistence, Perseverance will get us there...in the meantime we'll keep pushing to get others to join the fun.

Great to meet Fred with his passion for his wonderful creation - but thanks to him, I'm now wearing pink  :sos:, great, really appreciate that Fred!!!  Have to that corrected at the next event.

See you guys on the trail soon.
"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories."  - Thomas Jefferson

Gumballhead

...and I thought it only rained in Ottawa!  :wall:

Yes, as many have said, GREAT time @ Waterman.  We had a great group of Americans join us for some good storytelling,and some marksmanship!  We have several people knocking on the door to rifleman, and with some dry fire practice, and drills getting into potion and finding your NPOA, I'm sure you'll get there soon.  DOM got "volunteered" for his first telling of second strike, and did a great job.  Soon, it will be me telling that story!  I hope to do as well. 

I got a free jacket wash twice on Saturday, and once on Sunday - it's almost like new again!  Kudos to our shooters for sticking with us through the rain.  A rifleman persists, and perseveres!  "Rain or shine, we're on the line" (egregiously stolen from our bothers and sisters to the north).  Wet mats and all, we had shooters shooting AQT's, even one AQT which was scared off the backer, and ran down the line!  Shooting at KD was a great time as well.  EVERY Shooter on the line hit steel at 100 yards, and received confirmation that what we are teaching at 25 yards works at distance.

Big thanks to the crew - EEL, Pappy (great job SBIT), DOM, AShes, G69, Ewald, and Fred.  I have a great time, and I'm looking forward to Ottawa next week.  I heard we might see Al and Albert out there!

Take care all, and see you on the line!  O0 O0

EEL

A great weekend, rain or no.  The forcast called for rain on Saturday, but that didn't deter our dedicated group of shooters.  This group was all over it from the moment Pappy yelled "Fire" on the 1st Red Coat.   O0  They listened intently, asked good questions and put the lessons to use.  +1 on the free wash of our gear.   :D

Fred came Saturday afternoon and quickly quizzed or shooters on the finer points of Marksmanship.  I guess they all passed as Fred never clown batted Pappy or me.  &)  Thanks guys!!  Yes, Saturday closed with rain pouring down as I repeated John Addams quote:

"Posterity, you never know the price paid by the current generation to secure your freedom.  I hope you make good use of it, for if you do not, I shall repent in heaven for taking half the pains to preserve it."

I hope those were tears of joy or gratefullness.  Gratefull for all those persistent shooters that just wouldn't give up.  Thankfull that someone still remembers, someone still cares.

Thanks again to all that braved the sprinkles  ;) and stuck it out.  Makes me proud to have met each and everyone of you.

EEL
Shoot Boss
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Dangerous Old Man (D.O.M.)

Hammer, Keep at it, remember trust the force (NPOA) and cadence. Dry fire will help, just remember no ammo or mags when you dry fire, check and recheck, no need for additional holes in a wall, door or family member.  To everyone who spoke highly of me, "awe-shucks" I'm just trying to give a little back, and thanks to Fred for the extra nudge to entice me to do the second strike. Ottawa's coming on the weekend, as of now only a 40% chance of wet stuff, but it is Ottawa.  I'll call them on Friday and ask about the BBQ folks (from Greyhound rescue) and will post a PM, so please check back here (this string) on Friday PM so you will know if you can buy or will need to bring lunch for the weekend. I would sum up this Appleseed in one word - dedication - to all who shot (honing your marksmanship skills) and those who taught (honing our teaching skills).  See y'all on the trail.

DOM
"Try not to killed today by doing something stupid"
- George Carlin -

Garand69

What a great shoot. When severe weather is guaranteed and everyone shows up, you know full well someone sold them on a good program!!!

And then with tornado's buzzing across the State throughout the night, even more show up on Sunday!!!

Great to see some familiar faces and of course to meet some new ones. I believe they all walked away with not only better marksmanship skills and knowledge of the heritage, they learn a bit about their equipment as well.

Cant wait to see you all on the line again O0
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Hammer

On the way home Farm and Fleet even had a sale on Brake Fluid Cleaner and Marvel's Mystery Oil - heck you can buy it by the gallon...  Thanks Pappy....
"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories."  - Thomas Jefferson

ShallNotBeInfringed

This is Matt. I'm the one with the scoped ruger 10/22 with synthetic stock. The one that wore the red bandanna between my shirt & hat on Sunday (bad sunburn).

I had a really good time at my first Appleseed. Why didn't I do this sooner?  I remember walking up to EEL Saturday morning at sign in and asking what happens if we get all this rain they're talking about and he said we continue shooting! 

YES!!! I'm in the right place!

I saved all my AQTs & Redcoats and my improvement was dramatic thanks to what I learned.  Thanks to Garand69 Gumballhead and Ashes for your gunsmithing skills on Sunday morning.  I never would have thought a sling could play such an important roll in accurate shooting.  Thanks EEL for having everything on hand!

A big thank you to DOM for taking me under his wing as well as Pappy giving me excellent advice and encouragement.

I really enjoyed hearing the revolutionary history.

I will be back and I will bring friends.

I will earn that rifleman patch.

And on a side note, I went trap shooting with my dad tonight. Every round every week this season he's outshot me by a minimum of 3 (with one exception where I tied him at 19 at 16yds). Tonight was finally different. I got him by 1 at 16 yds and 3 at handicap. Finally! Its nice these skills translate to shotguns.