News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

West Jefferson Ohio June 5&6

Started by Luna, June 06, 2010, 09:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

All,

I just want to get this started.  I will provide more details later.

We had a great weekend at a new facility in central Ohio.  Shooters were very excited to start and remained flexible all weekend as we dodged some pretty nasty storms both days.  The facilities and people at the Darby Creek Shooting Range were very accommodating hosts, thank you Pete.

More information to follow.  Thank you shooters for a fun weekend as we celebrated the Freedoms that so many sacrificed to preserve.

Gordon

Hi Luna, or anyone else at that event, I look fwd to reading about it.

In addition to the Marksmanship and Heritage, how was the weather?!!?

Luna

On Saturday 16 Patriots from Ohio mustered at the Big Darby Creek Shooting Range in West Jefferson Ohio to reconnect with their heritage and learn the fundamentals of marksmanship.  We had a great group of shooters, all very flexible and willing to learn.  Under threatening skies and gusty winds these shooters continued to apply the fundamentals they learned, immediately seeing improvement in their shot groups.

Trekker presented Prehistory and Paul Reveres Ride.  An outstanding presentation with incredible detail.  You would never know that it was his first time.  Although the skies continued to darken you could see the shooters eyes light up as they heard the events of April 19th begin to unfold with facts they had never heard before.

We had to adjust the afternoon schedule due to incoming weather. Thanks to the support of the Range Officer (Pete) who maintained vigilance over the weather radar, we were able to make our adjustments in time with little disruption to the daily flow.  We ended Saturday shooting an AQT right after the 330 break then dodging a strong thunderstorm indoors listening to the first strike presented by Trekker. Sunday's weather was even worse, a severe storm blew through just before the start of the day and high winds continued all day.

Thank you to all the shooters for your flexibility.  Chad and Wolf both scored 224 on Sunday and were presented their Rifleman patch, outstanding job  in very difficult circumstances.  The range support was outstanding, lunch was available right off the grill, all needs were met and they donated the remaining range fees to the Appleseed program. We also received a generous donation from Shooter James Combs.  Thank you both. I also had the pleasure of presenting a youth patch to Tristen, age 8,  a Young patriot who pushed through the weekend and shot incredible groups from his bi-pod.

Overall an outstanding shoot.  A good test of people and equipment, and yes, Luna the dog.  Great job everyone. Thank you to Trekker, Minerva, Steamer, WildCat and To Tall for instructing during the weekend.

BaldDragn

I took a look at the weather radar on Friday and made sure to include the fact that I was not in the path of that storm on my gratitude list. Good job on adapting and persevering, and keeping the students safe.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Gordon

Sounds like great event, Luna! I'm glad to hear about the excellent telling of the History, and the new Ohio Riflemen.

It Sounds like with some good planning and some good luck, you managed the weather as well as possible. I was thinking about you Saturday night, as those tornados were blowing through.
Quote from: Luna on June 07, 2010, 11:16:58 PM
... dodging a strong thunderstorm indoors listening to the first strike ...
Indoor thunderstorms? That is some rough weather! :)

Seriously, congrat's on what sounds like a great shoot.

therealsteamer

Quote from: Luna on June 07, 2010, 11:16:58 PM
On Saturday 16 Patriots from Ohio mustered at the Big Darby Creek Shooting Range in West Jefferson Ohio to reconnect with their heritage and learn the fundamentals of marksmanship.  We had a great group of shooters, all very flexible and willing to learn.  Under threatening skies and gusty winds these shooters continued to apply the fundamentals they learned, immediately seeing improvement in their shot groups.

We really had a great group of shooters this weekend...  A few familial groups that really worked well together...  Our youth shooters were excellent!!!  Threatening skies...??? just threatening... ::) whew.. I sure am glad they were just threatening... ^:)^   I'd have sure hated to see those winds get..ummm dangerous... !@#)   "Think of it as an adventure...!!!"

Trekker presented Prehistory and Paul Reveres Ride.  An outstanding presentation with incredible detail.  You would never know that it was his first time.  Although the skies continued to darken you could see the shooters eyes light up as they heard the events of April 19th begin to unfold with facts they had never heard before.

Trekker really owned this one!!!  You'd have thought he had done group presentations for years...   Very good job!!!!  The extra research and visual aids really helped make his presentations incredibly educational and captivating

We had to adjust the afternoon schedule due to incoming weather. Thanks to the support of the Range Officer (Pete) who maintained vigilance over the weather radar, we were able to make our adjustments in time with little disruption to the daily flow.  We ended Saturday shooting an AQT right after the 330 break then dodging a strong thunderstorm indoors listening to the first strike presented by Trekker. Sunday's weather was even worse, a severe storm blew through just before the start of the day and high winds continued all day.

Thank you to all the shooters for your flexibility.  Chad and Wolf both scored 224 on Sunday and were presented their Rifleman patch, outstanding job  in very difficult circumstances.  The range support was outstanding, lunch was available right off the grill, all needs were met and they donated the remaining range fees to the Appleseed program. We also received a generous donation from Shooter James Combs.  Thank you both. I also had the pleasure of presenting a youth patch to Tristen, age 8,  a Young patriot who pushed through the weekend and shot incredible groups from his bi-pod.

Overall an outstanding shoot.  A good test of people and equipment, and yes, Luna the dog.  Great job everyone.

therealsteamer

Now for a few pics...

therealsteamer

therealsteamer

Thanks to all that was there this weekend helping all to learn in becoming a "Rifleman". O0

All that taught did a fantastic job and I look forward to doing a shoot again soon. My family had a great time and learned a lot.  ^:)^

(888) James 

RPD

Quote from: 888 on June 08, 2010, 10:05:37 PM
Thanks to all that was there this weekend helping all to learn in becoming a "Rifleman". O0

All that taught did a fantastic job and I look forward to doing a shoot again soon. My family had a great time and learned a lot.  ^:)^

(888) James 

Were you at the 2d A rally in Columbus?  I was there with my son, David.
Happy to see you were able to make the shoot and have an enjoyable time!!!
Maybe we'll see you in Athens soon.

-RPD
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

That was me at the 2nd Amend. rally in Columbus,Ohio.

Me and My Family are planning our next Appleseed shoot in Athens this late summer/ early fall.  ;D

GoldFish

Quote from: 888 on June 09, 2010, 11:00:11 AM

Me and My Family are planning our next Appleseed shoot in Athens this late summer/ early fall.  ;D

Great!  I look forward to meeting your family. :) 
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

RPD

Quote from: GoldFish on June 09, 2010, 01:15:30 PM
Quote from: 888 on June 09, 2010, 11:00:11 AM

Great!  I look forward to meeting your family. :) 

Obviously GoldFish is my son.
We do look forward to making contact again and meeting your family.
We'll be "orange hatting" in Athens.

Take care,
RPD
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Corvette

In checking the post, I was pleased to see that Wolfe qualified as a rifleman on Sunday.  Must have happened just after we had to leave, congratulations and a big thank you for the lend of the sling.  See you at the next shoot. 

STEVE AND SEAN
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

flynbuff

Thanks to all involved for a great weekend.  Dan and the IIT crew ran a great course.  I learned a lot and had a great time.  Congrats to Wolf and a big thumbs up to all the shooters who attended.  I'm looking forward to seeing everybody again at a future AS event.  Rest assured, I'll try and order some better weather next time.  Take care and I'll see you on the trail.

Chad