News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Chillicothe, IL May 29-30

Started by EEL, May 31, 2010, 02:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EEL

Chillicothe.  WOW!  What a fantastic weekend.  30+ shooters and 15+ instructors turned out at this beautiful shooting club for 2 solid days of Appleseed.  Klippefurt, Castle Mountain, Missouri Brigade, and Patriot Gal had things all in order when Pappy, Reveille, and I arrived Friday afternoon.  A Shoot Boss couldn't ask for more.  Saturday morning we were greeted with gorgeous weather promised for the entire weekend.  The sunny sky while being a blessing is also problematic.  Hydration was a constant concern.  If you get dehydrated, you get tremors and it becomes hard to focus.  Not ideal when you are working hard to.....what is step 4a shooters?  Yup. Focus on that front sight!!

Our shooters persisted throughout the weekend with 5 new Riflemen forged.  Congratulations to Bob, Steve, Jay, Jake, and David.  David was using a bolt gun.  Not an easy task, but he showed he was up to the challenge.  Jake shot a 210.  Yeah, you know what's coming next!  ;)  He was summarily drowned with water bottles as there was no lake nearby. Congratulations, again, to all our new Riflemen.

On a special note, we one one shooter that epitomized the spirit of the American Rifleman.  Drake, one of our young shooters, was an inspiration to us all.  You just couldn't wipe the smile off his face!  Ear to ear the entire weekend.  Bees, spiders, hot brass....it didn't matter.  Drake took it all in and kept on smiling.  He was such a pleasure to have on the line that The Guy awarded him the only youth patch of the weekend.  I hope we see Drake out on the line again soon.

We closed the shoot with a reminder that the spirit of our forefathers lives on in the actions of Americans to this very day.  As we celebrate this Memorial Day, take the time to reflect on the sacrifices of those that came before us, sacrifices made on our behalf.  Sacrifices made years, decades, and yes, centuries ago so that we may be free Americans!

God Bless,
EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Pappy

Hello All; Yes, Chillicothe was a GREAT event, at a outstanding location!!!! The efforts of the boots on the ground where plain to see, from the regestration point with the banners and flags to the well maintained grounds this is a top notch club with lots of room to enjoy the shooting sports.. Memberships are available.

Congratulations to our new Illinois Riflemen, Bob, David, Jake, Jay, Steve... O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
There were many other shooters who were so close that with a little more persistance they too will be Riflemen or women..
The persistance and utter determination of one young fellow, Drake, Your spirit is inspiring!! O0
It was a pleasure to work with you and your family. You realy earned the Youth patch award..Well Done!

It was a joy to work a event that was Staffed to this level, it gave us plenty of time to work on our skills to make the program better, a goal we all share.

I hope to see each one of you on the Appleseed trail again soon  O0 Stay Safe, See you on the range. Pappy

Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

colycat

Chilli has a special place in my heart.  It was were I recieved my Red Hat under The Guy and Dond.  Its a great place to have a shoot with on site camping, hard to beat this place.  30 attendees and 15 instructors, WOW, sounds like they recieved about $300 worth of instruction each.  Appleseed is a good deal, is'nt it?  Lookiing forward to some Pics.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Shooter30-06

Kay and I cannot express what a thrill this (our first) Appleseed was for us.  We had been looking forward to it for months and this met all of our expectations and more.  The Shoot Boss (EEL) and the Instructors were simply outstanding.  They were firm and attentive regarding safety, were beyond know ledgable with regard to every detail of good marksmanship, and were very clear and precise in their instruction.  All of the Instructors were simply nice people to spend time with and absorb knowledge from.  Every Instructor would answer any student's question without hesitation and without being irritated that a question was asked.   Kay and I learned more in two days than we thought possible.   I am being completely fair and unbiased in asserting that Illinois must have the best Instruction group in the country.

My Wife and I both believe in the Appleseed mission and goals.  Every American needs to be aware of our history and heritage.  Every American needs to appreciate the sacrifice which our nation's founders made to attain the freedoms we enjoy.  Perhaps most important, every American needs to recognize that individual action on their part can make a difference.

We would like to offer a special thanks to Pappy, Patriot Gal, and Castle Mountain.  Patriot Gal and Castle Mountain loaned us equipment to make our first Appleseed more productive and did it on the first day without knowing us from Adam.  Further, Patriot Gal and Pappy gave us a world of instruction and support.  We really appreciate it!
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Wurstmacher

Shooter30-06 and Kay, you were wonderful students this weekend.  I could tell early on Saturday as I walked the target line that you and your wife both stood a very good chance of being able to shoot to Rifleman standards.  I actually thought that your wife might beat you to the punch.   @)  Because of my other duties, I was unable to be down on your end of the line much. When I was RSO later Sunday afternoon on your end of the line, I was able to notice that Kay was very determined and had excellent trigger control (follow through and resetting the sear).  It was heartbreaking to see her defeated by minor details that cost her time in the transition stages (safety on, not chambering a round, etc.). Remember, Kay, a Rifleman perseveres.  Hope to see you both again at a shoot.

Don't forget the seventh step.  Share with others about your experience last weekend.  "Wake up" your kids, grandkids, family and friends.   

Shooter30-06

Wurstmacher, you were not the only one who thought my wife was on the faster track.  Before the shoot she was worried that she would be so inept as to embarass herself.  Her practice scores before the shoot were in the Marksman range and I assured her that she would do just fine.  Little could I dream that the Appleseed instruction would almost immediately prompt her to shoot 50 points higher.  She grasped and applied NPOA and is an example of what can be done by applying that concept.  Male pride and a terrible bragging disadvantage were on my mind during the AQTs!  We will be upgrading our slings and practicing standing and sitting.   We will see you again.  Thanks for your help.
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

M.E.

The Start of some pictures....

Riflemen for the Weekend first....
Jay, Bob, Steve, Dave, and Jake

Castle Mountain

This evening Patriot Gal and I went back out to Chillicothe to shoot. There was not a soul there. We had the place
to ourselves. Well not completely alone exactly, we were surrounded by a millions mosquitos. Gadzooks we were near eaten alive.
I could sense a faint echo of rifle fire and shoot boss command resonate in my mind while musing over the  camaraderie we celebrated from the day before.
We have been left with found memories and a warm feeling for one and all.  Tonight we took time to shoot, to make sure our rifles are in tune
and that we are as good as we were the last time. Marksmanship is a diminishing skill. We were both delighted that
we know we do shoot what we teach and so wish good success for those who did not achieve rifleman. It takes persistence,
and is not as easy as squeezing the buttons of a TV remote control. Persistence pays off, it really does. I will for ever remember
Ottawa last year where one of our shooters invested 12 Appleseed shoots to earn his rifleman's badge. What a badge of honor
that was, with tears streaming down his face, as he was presented his badge, knowing he at last did it.
We never gave up and he never gave up on himself. Shear dogged determination and persistence.
Just one of the many stories and things we get to experience as instructors on the Appleseed trail. That good man is today an instuctor
in training. It took Thomas Edison 6000 trys to perfect the light bulb. Persistence pays dividends.

Steve & Kay, it was indeed a pleasure to have shared two glorious days with you and all the folks that came to learn.
And boy did you and everyone else work. The heat makes it work but the persistence demonstrated by the majority
pays dividends. We celebrate five new riflemen. We were convinced Kay was going to do it on Sunday but not to worry.
So many were so close. Next Appleseed and I am sure most will get it. Remember to practice dry firing.

Our Appleseed core of instructors represent our extended family, brothers and sisters every one of them. We love them all.
I am certain you experienced why this is so. We have become a pretty tight bunch that work hard together. We are passionate
for what we do, we love our country and we are determined to make the effort to change the hearts and minds of our nation.
1-million new riflemen and riflewomen is on our horizon. America is a nation of rifle owners but few riflemen among them.
Today is  not like it was back in 1943 or so when admiral Yamamoto affirmed that Japan could never invade the continent because
behind every tree and blade of grass there would be a rifleman. Those folks are all gone now and we need to be busy to pass on
our heritage, less we break faith with our founders. 

Thank you for the flowers and your salutations to our instructor core. You and the people of America are what this program is about.
This weekend was our Appleseed anniversary where it all began for us right at Chillicothe, all thanks to G69 & Pappy. It was a special weekend for us too
we got to be with our brothers & sisters and meet and share with all the good folks that come out and be there to see the birth
of five new riflemen. Congratulations to Bob, who also paid Appleseed a huge compliment saying that all his years in service he did not shoot
expert until Appleseed. Wow. Airborn persistence. We hope to see you and Todd and your wonderful family again on the trail.
David, you did it in two Appleseeds good man. Thank your wife for running into me at Radio Shack to give you the message to come anyway.
We are glad you did. Get those two fine boys back soon, now that Dad has the bragging rights. :) ..:..
Congrats Jake, now your wife is next right? Come on out to Bloomington next week and gitter done!!! ;D
No more cold water for Jay, you too won the day. Congratulation's. ..:..

We hope to see everyone again soon.

Warmest regards,

CM

Quote from: Shooter30-06 on May 31, 2010, 08:45:53 PM
Kay and I cannot express what a thrill this (our first) Appleseed was for us.  We had been looking forward to it for months and this met all of our expectations and more.  The Shoot Boss (EEL) and the Instructors were simply outstanding.  They were firm and attentive regarding safety, were beyond know ledgable with regard to every detail of good marksmanship, and were very clear and precise in their instruction.  All of the Instructors were simply nice people to spend time with and absorb knowledge from.  Every Instructor would answer any student's question without hesitation and without being irritated that a question was asked.   Kay and I learned more in two days than we thought possible.   I am being completely fair and unbiased in asserting that Illinois must have the best Instruction group in the country.

My Wife and I both believe in the Appleseed mission and goals.  Every American needs to be aware of our history and heritage.  Every American needs to appreciate the sacrifice which our nation's founders made to attain the freedoms we enjoy.  Perhaps most important, every American needs to recognize that individual action on their part can make a difference.

We would like to offer a special thanks to Pappy, Patriot Gal, and Castle Mountain.  Patriot Gal and Castle Mountain loaned us equipment to make our first Appleseed more productive and did it on the first day without knowing us from Adam.  Further, Patriot Gal and Pappy gave us a world of instruction and support.  We really appreciate it!
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

M.E.

more pics...

Fashion for the 2010 Summer Appleseed events...note the sling belt.  A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!  O0

M.E.

Family...GREAT way to spend the Memorial Weekend!  A Family that shoots together....well you know what they say!  ;D

M.E.

Wurstmacher and EEL doing some instruction

West sharing on Saturday

The Drake (Participant 15 yrs old) and Cookie (IIT 17yrs old)  Found out they had a lot in common.  When Drake showed up with his Coon skin cap on Sunday Cookie just happened to have his in his vehicle.  They spent a good part of Sunday together in one on one instruction. 

M.E.

The Drake & Cookie working one on one Sunday

M.E.

Raise your hand if you got all 3 shots in the 100yd target (last Red coat of the day)

West

Chillicothe, an instructors dream!

The site was beautiful, the weather was beautiful, and the shooters were spectacular.  My only regret is having to leave on Sunday morning!

My original intent was to go to Chillicothe as a shooter.  Marksmanship, as Castle Mountain so eloquently put it, is a diminishing skill, and I have to make sure that I am not diminishing.

For some reason, The Guy has a way with people, and mid morning Sunday he said "Well, let's go to work."  So, I got up and started working.

I helped several shooters through mechanical problems, IITs with coaching points, and met with the other four red hats present to hone my instructor skills.

I was very hands off, intentions on being a shooter, but I did want to check in and mention that everyone I met was positive, improving, and was having fun.  I was very glad to be there, and have met the incredible instructor set that I met.

It was great to meet you all: EEL, Pappy, Wurstmacher, M.E., Oddball, Cookie, The Guy, Castle Mountain, Patriot Gal, Garand 69, Missouri Brigade, Klipperfurt, SecurePeace, Reveille, NFMH, and the many shooters that I was truly blessed to have worked with.  Thank you all.

I wanted to put a special shout out to Deacon - congratulations on the Blue Hen Patch, I know Capt Kirkwood would be glad to have you standing next to him.

West :))

rlkillion

Thanks to all the instructors but especially those who worked our side of the line all weekend M.E., Missouri Brigade, Oddball etc.  M.E. and Oddball were always seemed to be the voice reminding us the steps to firing the shot.  Thanks to Patriot Gal for the use of the cheek pad...I'm not sure I would have gotten a handle on NPOA in the prone without it.  Oddball's homemade pad was a big help to Colton as well.  Equipment lessons were learned and I will be making some equipment changes to make things easier, function better, and to accommodate each individual. 
Castle Mountain a big thanks for introducing my son and getting him some encouragement before his deployment (Cody by the way not Todd...though he thought it was funny and maybe an appropriate nickname).  EEL and Guy thanks for talking to him about equipment for his deployment...I had mentioned the ACOG to him...but what do I know...I'm just dad!  He is a combat medic so let's hope he does not have to use his deadly or life saving skills at all the whole year he is there.
I don't know how many times I shot the qualification course in training, in the reserves and ROTC and I could never get any closer than 1 or 2 away from expert.  It was a HUGE accomplishment to me to break the barrier and score expert.  Thanks to instructors!
M.E. your right it was a nice family weekend.  Jay, Becky, Charissa, and I(as well as Bec and Jays son Sam) all came to the first Appleseed at Chilli 2 years ago.  We had a blast and learned a lot and Rissa was determined to get the rifleman's patch on the 3rd day...and she did.  Prior to that she had never fired anything other than a pellet gun.   She wanted to repeat this weekend with iron sights and struggled...but now she knows she needs to shoot more to stay sharp so we will get her back up there.  She went and got her FOID and her own rifle.  Maybe the invitation she received to be on the German clubs pellet gun team will finally be accepted.  We had been eagerly awaiting another chance for us to go again and bring more family along.  While Cody and Colton join Jay and I quite often at the monthly Mauser Match at Chilli; Holly, Rissa, and Becky usually only join us at Chilli if we are sponsoring a special shoot and they bring out food etc so it was great to get them out and shooting with us. (Though they shoot the pellet guns at German fest and come with us for our own informal range days now and then.)There has been a lot of talk after this weekend so more range time will be in the future I am sure.
M.E. thanks for the extensive instruction with Colton to catch him up on day two.  I thought he was going to get it after doing so well...maybe next time if he doesn't let tiredness and his 17 year old crankiness get the best of him.
Great time and nice to meet such great people...participants and instructors both.
Some of our paths have crossed more than once since the first Appleseed we attended in 2008, I hope it they continue to do so.
Airborne!
Or as we heard often while Holly was in the Navy:
Fair winds and following seas.

Johnnyappleseed

Illinois rocks , err I mean SHOOTS :~ :~ :--- :---
Nice job Illinois + hi to everyone there !
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Missouri Brigade

I would encourage you to go to the Club Officials part of the CSC website and send some thank you notes for the use of the facility.

http://www.chillisportsmen.org/

Reveille

Chillicothe Sportsman Club always comes through with flying colors.  O0 This club has produced some of the best Appleseed events that I have ever had the privilege to participate in. :bow:  Thanks for all the hospitality.

Also, thanks to all the shooters for coming out and braving the hot and sticky weather and sharing this great Memorial Day weekend with our (and now your) Appleseed program......I hope to meet all of you again soon on the trail.

Congratulations to all our new Rifleman, 5 in all.......GREAT JOB!!!!!!!! 
The progress made by many others was very impressive and with some dryfire practice and determination we will have many more joining the ranks.

Keep up the great work!!

Reveille.

P.S.
Thanks Cliff, Patriot Gal and Castle Mountain for all the help setting up the range.
M.E.  Thanks for the awesome cookies.........again!!!
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Gumballhead

Hi All,

Looks like we missed a great shoot!  One of these days I need to get us down to Chili.  DOM and I were keeping those brothers of ours in  the 'nort in check, working @ Racine.  We have great weather & 4 new riflemen (another border raider, Robb + his shiny new Orange hat! ^:)^). 

See most of you next weekend @ Waterman!

Garand69

[SIZE=20PT]CHILLI ROCKS!!!!![/SIZE]

I would like to thank all of the shooters for coming out on such a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!

Congrats go out to Illinois 5 latest Rifleman and of course to our latest Young Patriot, Drake!

I hope you continue to attend Appleseeds and help promote them by telling everyone about your experience at Chillicothe.

Deacon (WI)& West (DE), Thanks a bunch for making the trip to IL. Deacon was Red Hatted here last year, so I know we can count on kiddnapping from time to time! Great meeting you West, hope to work with you on the trail soon.

Team Illinois..... Thanks for being a Team

Pictures to follow, BUT, I was informed by Walgreens that their machine ate one of my fine disposable cameras! happy place happy place happy place
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Patriot Gal

What a great weekend to watch persistence in action!!!  All the shooters were so attentive and worked their hardest as they advanced towards Rifleman.  Congrats to Jay, Bob, Steve, Dave and Jake who made the score!!!   :bow: :bow:  Excellent!!

This weekend renewed my faith in the human spirit and the 'rightness' of many things.  Thanks to EEL for the IIT instructions.  I thought that was really good.  Thanks to Castle Mountain and Cliff for getting the range set up.  It looked very nice and I'm sure there were those who breathed a sigh of relief that they didn't have to set up the range in the dark after driving down on Friday night.  Very nice!  O0

Thanks to all the IIT/I who worked so hard to help the students advance in their marksmanship skills and who did an excellent job presenting the history of our country's brave beginning.  Well done all!  O0

I hope to see all attendees back on the Appleseed trail in the future.  It is a great and worthwhile journey!

Patriot Gal   :~

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan