News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur D'Alene, ID May 29-30

Started by Earl, May 30, 2010, 10:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

Well, I am not in Idaho, being about to go swimming in the Hawaiian Hotel pool, but I was thinking good thoughts about those fine folks shooting, teaching, coaching and honoring our American Heritage in Idaho. Please post your comments and photos very soon, thank you very much ^:)^, now off to that swim :cool2:
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

hawkhavn

Earl,

Same here, while I do not have a tropical pool standing by (actually I was mowing because it was either mow tonight or bring in goats tomorrow), I am anxiously awaiting an I/AAR.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

patronus of licentia

Hey guys,
Thanks for your concern and patience. This being the first shoot I have attended with Fred, all I can say is that is one long weekend. The best Appleseed I have had in a lot of ways. WE did not finish up till 8:30 at the range tonight,then went and did some more p.c. Fred is most assuredly a MAN on a mission. I count myself extremely lucky to have been able to experience Him. Since I am still a lowly Orange hat I will wait for the Red/Green hat combos to start the official thread. Hope Hawaii is treating you well Earl and look forward to working with you soon. Ed hopefully I will also get the chance to work with you again but I know your trip is much longer.
Mike
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
"Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he then be trusted with the government of others?"
Thomas Jefferson

IdahoVet

Well, I'm the FNG on this board, as a RWVA member, and receiver of the patch because of this weekend.
My highest commendations to the vols who made it happen!

Sat was especially cold and wet.  Sunday became considerably better, but that's N. Idaho for you!

I consider myself fortunate to have been in the company of such dedicated vols, and especially to have had the opportunity to spend the weekend receiving some tutelage by The Fred.

It's been nearly 40 years since I rec'd my "Expert" medal, and was a bit reminiscent of the Drill Sergeants . . .
Was great to find that the skills have not all been lost.  Just wisht somebody woulda told me I'd made it earlier in the day!  Musta worked off a coupla pounds before I found out I had four qualifying targets!!!
But, it was good verification that it wasn't a "fluke".

Was also great to meet some of the cadre, who I recognized from out there in "civilian" life.

Thanks to all!

Russ
"The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms."
-- Samuel Adams

Western Rose

Thanks for saving the party until us RHs/SBs get on. ^:)^ **) I won't give you an "official" report... Until later. ^-^ Still trying to figure out how to think again. ;D Maybe tonight I'll have my thoughts formed into words... $$-0 :-X  :D

Let the party continue without us! For now...  :cool2: O0

Earl, I saw lots and lots of cameras out this weekend. I'm expecting to see lots and lots of pictures as a result.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Western Rose

Okay, Okay… I’ll relieve the suspense a little bit. **)

We had a bunch of shooters who braved the weather come out to learn this weekend. There were some familiar faces as well as new ones. It was great to see all of you.

We have three new Rifleman:
Dirk on the upper range on Saturday! Not only did he shoot his rifleman score, but he decided to join his Dad (eert) as an IIT, making a new Idaho Father/Son Instructor team! O0
Dave was our second rifleman on the upper range. He and his wife drove from Washington for this shoot. They had attended the Castle Rock, WA shoot just a short time before. Well done, sir! Congratulations on that bright orange hat as well! O0 Can't wait to see your wife wearing one. :cool2:
Russ was our one and only rifleman from the lower range. Congratulations to you!
Dirk and Dave, welcome to the Inland Northwest Instructor Crew!!! O0 8) I will look forward to working shoots with you both.

Congratulations to Actineon on that bright, new RED hat!! 8) ^:)^

We had several families, women and kids at this shoot. It was really, really fun to work with you all! We also had some fun "sibling rivalry" going on between two teens (a brother and a sister). One ended up shooting a 200 on the AQT, the other's high was 193. Well done to both of you! 

I know there are TONS of pictures to dig through on our camera. Looking forward to seeing all of your pictures as well!

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

50th Appleseed

IdahoVet

Thanks!
I really commend the dedication of the cadre, and the purpose you all showed to help everybody succeed.
In all fairness to the Upper Range Boss & Crew, I spent 75% of the weekend there.  When the .30's were moving to that range, I moved down below at Sunday lunch, so I could put what was taught to good use. . . So, credit to both RSO teams!
"The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms."
-- Samuel Adams

Evenstar

This really made me laugh Earl! **) Nice of you to be thinking of us. @) Ok, while I also need to formulate my thoughts (didn't get to bed till 11:30 last night) I will post some lots pictures of the weekend. :cool2: Mom got a lot of the upper range, which she'll post later.
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Reformed Redneck

To all,

Another Appleseed weekend under the belt.

As mentioned previously, it was pretty cool and rainy for this time of year in northern Idaho. But you can never call the weather here the way you should call the shot! Most of the wetness was on Saturday, and Sunday was a bit warmer.

We always try to encourage the shooters in the beginning that they will be shooting better even at the end of the first day if they can assimilate the things that we teach them. This was measurably true by Saturday evening. We had a pretty long day of intruction, and the inconvenience of the weather, but everyone I talked to indicated that they were improving in their skills. We had one new Rifleman on the upper range by the end of the day.

The weather was a bit better on Sunday, and the shooters responded well to the opportunity to shoot the AQT's. By the time we broke for lunch, our new Rifleman had another rifleman score, and a shooter with a previous rifleman score from another shoot had shot another couple. We had some other shooters that were very, very close to earning their Rifleman patches.

We ran a long range (known distance) segment on the upper range after lunch on Sunday, and the shooters that participated in this were able to profit well from Fred's instruction on this, as well as the reinforcement of our claim that what you shoot at 25 yards, you will be able to duplicate at distance. Everyone seemed to enjoy this experience and what they learned from it.

We had a great team of Instructors for this shoot, and most of us have worked together for a number of events during the past year. I think the camaraderie of our team is growing, and that the shooters will profit from the variety of particular talents that this group has to offer.

We were pleased to have the three new Riflemen (Dirk, David, and IdahoVet). Way to go guys! And way to go the the new IIT's! I think I speak for us all, that we will enjoy working with you on the Appleseed Trail in the future.

We have two more shoots in Coeur d'Alene coming up, so those of you in the area be sure to Seventh step it and get your families, relatives and friends signed up for the next one.

Best Regards,
Reformed Redneck
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Evenstar

It was a great, though long, shoot this weekend. As has already been mentioned, Saturday was pretty miserable with a lot of rain and a splitting headache. Sunday turned out fairly nice though.

Congrats to Dave, Dirk, and Russ on your Rifleman scores! A big thank you to Dave and Dirk for stepping up and taking the orange hat. ^:)^ It'll be great to work a shoot with you both.

Congratulations are also in order for Actineon!!! Way to go, RED HAT!!!! ^:)^ ..:..

A few people I'd like to mention:

- Dave (on the lower range): Keep that finger from dragging wood! ;) Thanks for coming back again, and see you in September. (I hope that comment on home-schooling WAS a compliment! ;) ;D)

- Rita: You made REAL progress over the weekend. Dry fire at home and watch out for canting, and you'll be a riflewoman for sure. ;)

- James: You were right there, knocking on the door. 10 more points... Work on your trigger control, and you'll get that patch. O0

- Becky: You were SO close as well! (At my first shoot I wasn't scoring as well as you were!) You were very teachable, and I thank you for that. You'll beat your brother yet, even if you had to do the dishes. ;) Hope to see you again this summer. :cool2: ^:)^

- Laura: You were really doing well on your trigger control. O0 Great job on winning the 'green coat' target drill! Now, if only you could put your AQT sideways... ::)

- Pete: Great job on the 6 Steps! ;D Hopefully we didn't scare you off by putting you on the spot! Come on back this summer if you can.

- Reina: Keep up practicing. You didn't once forget any of the steps to safe-ing your rifle when I was on your side of the line! You were shooting quite well, and I hope your dad brings you back. I think you have a little bit of a 'happy finger' with that camera of yours... Keep that up too; I know what it's like! O0

INSTRUCTOR CREW: I never get tired of working with you all! ..:.. You all are amazing! I can't wait to work with some of you in a couple weeks, and most of you in July.

FRED: Thanks for coming to visit Idaho again! We'll look forward to having you back sometime. :D

~ES

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Cedarpole

This was my first shoot as an IIT, and it was great!  It was even more special with Fred being there to provide such dynamic history presentations, and teaching tips.  Thanks Fred!  As others have said, the weather could have been better; more like our previous Shoots here.  But this is Idaho, and Memorial Day weekend no less.  I really enjoyed all the shooters I had the opportunity to work with.  They were a great bunch of dedicated folks.  I sure hope to see all of you at future shoots!

I'd also like to thank our great team of instructors.  Your help, guidance, and encouragement to this new IIT is really appreciated.  I'd like to especially thank Evenstar for her private refresher on IMC.  Your explanation really helped me fully understand it.

And I'd like to congratulate the new Riflemen, new IITs, and Actineon's for his new Red Hat!  Great Job guys!

Johnnyappleseed

RR nice looking hat ! Sir
I really do not envy you working under Freds watchfull eyes  :D
Nice job Idaho ^5
BTW --how do you guys rate ? looks like those raincoats had INSTUCTOR on them  ;D
We get rain too ;)
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Bill of Rights

Looks like another great shoot is in the books!

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on June 01, 2010, 02:14:27 AM
RR nice looking hat ! Sir
I really do not envy you working under Freds watchfull eyes  :D
Nice job Idaho ^5
BTW --how do you guys rate ? looks like those raincoats had INSTUCTOR on them  ;D
We get rain too ;)
JA

We get more rain in Indiana than you do in California, Johnny!  :P ;D

Edit: 100 posts! Woot! I'm a Full Member now!  ..:..

Blessings,
Bill
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

TruTenacity

Another great event with persistent shooters!

Yorke, thanks for starting this event out with the sound of your musket!

Ladies from Montana, now that you know how to get to the range, please be willing to come back again for the whole weekend.  I'm sure you'll do great.

Noah, I've never seen someone overcome such equipment problems.  Your calmness through it all was exemplary.  I was impressed with the 30 cal. hole you made with four rounds of .22 ammo.  Get the equipment issues worked out and you'll be makin' Rifleman the next time you come back.

Jeanne, good job working through some difficulties on Saturday.  I was so glad you came back Sunday.  Keep up the good work.  Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

Tom, shooting two AQTs scoring 209 shows you know your stuff.  Hope to see you back in September to get that patch.

Carlene, glad we figured out a few bits with your sling.  Keep up the good work and you'll get there.

Joan, good shooting on Saturday and great example of supporting and encouraging your husband on Sunday.

David, Dirk, and Russell, way to go! 

Instructors, I'm thankful to be a part of your team.

Fred, thanks for making my head hurt.  When the pain clears I hope I remember what you tried to teach me.

~Tru T
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Roland

Hi all,

First post here, figured I should make it on the AAR of the shoot I made Rifleman and IIT at.

First of all thanks to:
TruTenecity, Still Learnin', and Reformed Redneck: Thanks for helping me get my Rifleman. I'll try to keep my elbow under the rifle.

Fred: Thanks for starting this wonderful program up and being an inspiration to all those of us involved, myself definintly included.

Congratulations and encouragement to:

Dave: Glad you made your rifleman and look forward to seeing you at the next shoot.

Air Force Pete (To distinguish from the other Pete!): Sorry my rifle didn't work out for you that last AQT. You'll get it soon, just keep practicing.

Pete: Nice rifle! 

Noah: Keep perservering, I hope you won't have as many equipment problems next time.

Carlene: Keep up the good work! You can get that patch.

A final thanks to all of the instructors and IITs, I look forward to working on the other side of the line with you.

Live long and prosper,

Dirk

The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

TruTenacity

Here are some more pictures of this weekend's shoot
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

TruTenacity

The last few pictures that didn't post with the other group for some reason.

colonial shooter

Great photos guys(and gals). Glad you had a great weekend. Did my eyes deceive me... Fred out West and only one jacket on. Last time we had him out here it was thirteen shirts and a borrowed Carhart Jacket  ;). must be better weather the farther west you travel.  Keep up the good work in ID.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Western Rose

Quote from: colonial shooter on June 01, 2010, 05:27:42 PM
Great photos guys(and gals). Glad you had a great weekend. Did my eyes deceive me... Fred out West and only one jacket on. Last time we had him out here it was thirteen shirts and a borrowed Carhart Jacket  ;). must be better weather the farther west you travel.  Keep up the good work in ID.

Where are the pictures?!?!?! :o ;)

50th Appleseed

Mr. Clean

Thank you all on the instructor team!  Especially thanks to WR for working with my daughter who had a great weekend.  We will try to post some of the many pictures R took at the shoot.

Reformed Redneck

Johnny A.,

The hat was a conspiracy. Fred apparently conspired with my family and one of them stole my regular cap, and while five of them held me down (one holding my head so I didn't headbutt anyone), they stuck the durn thing on my head. Then they hid my regular hat so I wouldn't find it for the rest of the weekend.

Reformed Redneck
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Evenstar

Quote from: Reformed Redneck on June 01, 2010, 06:59:48 PM
Johnny A.,

The hat was a conspiracy. Fred apparently conspired with my family and one of them stole my regular cap, and while five of them held me down (one holding my head so I didn't headbutt anyone), they stuck the durn thing on my head. Then they hid my regular hat so I wouldn't find it for the rest of the weekend.

Reformed Redneck

**) **) **) **) **) He was a fighter. ;D

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Western Rose

Quote from: Reformed Redneck on June 01, 2010, 06:59:48 PM
Johnny A.,

Reformed Redneck

Good thing I didn't pack two of them!!! **) **) ;D :D :)) ..:.. :--- @)

50th Appleseed

Earl

Well, Reformed Redneck, I did warn you about Headquarters having their own schedule for advancement - but you do look really good in that Green Shoot Boss cap, and think of the fight to get it adjusted just right. ::) And you got to do it in the rain, which at that range isn't quite as challenging as Castle Rock and some others I have attended. I haven't found the total round or AQT count, but if you kept shooting till the Sun stopped it must have been a bunch. Thanks for stepping up and the updates, and all the best to your family and fellow instructors in the Idaho region.. as big as Western Rose makes it sometimes.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Mark Davis

Wow! you can tell it's summer, reformed redneck has no beard.

Evenstar

Quote from: Cedarpole on June 01, 2010, 12:16:16 AM
I'd like to especially thank Evenstar for her private refresher on IMC.  Your explanation really helped me fully understand it.

Not a problem. I had to do it anyway, and it was better to have to do it in front of more than one person, since that's what I'll have to do for shooters. 8) Diagrams and pictures... YES! ;)

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Western Rose

Quote from: Earl on June 01, 2010, 11:06:43 PM
[.....]I haven't found the total round or AQT count, but if you kept shooting till the Sun stopped it must have been a bunch. Thanks for stepping up and the updates, and all the best to your family and fellow instructors in the Idaho region.. as big as Western Rose makes it sometimes.

That's because those numbers really aren't that important.

Now wait a moment! What do you mean, as big as I make it? **) ;D

50th Appleseed

Earl

You keep adding those fine joint efforts in Washington and Oregon to Idaho's shoots, but don't worry, we like the help and the credit for being there or your being there - any way we can get the Appleseeds shot and the bailing building.

Western Rose

You know, what I really should do is make it the "List Inland Northwest After Action Reports". ^-^ But then I'd have to go dig through the AARs for all of OR, WA, ID and MT AARs. I know! I'll just have to start a post in each of the states for AARs and then WA can claim the ID AARs that you came to and OR can claim the AARs that Pa Rah came to.... Hmmm. We'd all have the same list of events on our state boards. :o

50th Appleseed

Patriot Gal

Looks like y'all are having an awfully good time out there.  Castle Mountain and I look forward to being out there with you one of these fine days!  O0

Patriot Gal  :~
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan