News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ruger Factory LTR

Started by fepowered, May 17, 2010, 04:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fepowered

Please add your input as to what factory configuration 10/22 would be the most useful to Appleseed and the most marketable.   What would you like to see from the factory?
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=13849.0
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

Nehemiah

My .02 in this order:

1. Youth and adult versions with appropriate barrel (16" and 20") and stock lengths
2. Tech Sights
3. 1 1/4" swivels
4. Auto bolt release
5. Easier-to-activate bolt lock
6. stock with a grip angle more conducive to prone shooting
7. Second 10-round mag
8. grippy buttplate
9. USGI web sling
10. better trigger pull
Nehemiah 4:13-18 I stationed the families at our vulnerable spots with their weapons. The men worked in shifts to rebuild our walls; one half worked while the other half guarded. Each of the workers had his weapon either at his side or in his hand while he worked.

dwarven1

Sling studs, swivels and Garand-style sling.
Tech-sights
Auto-bolt release
Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor
Lighter trigger
Four magazines

Optional - RWVA challenge coin inlet into stock.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Mailman

An action screw that does not shoot loose. I have five 10/22's and think they are more than adequate for the average shooter I have seen attending Appleseeds.
Is there a fix for the action screws?
"Carry on"

Kaiser Leib

Quote from: Mailman on June 28, 2010, 05:44:33 PM

I'm a fan of blue locktite, although it does make life a little more difficult if you like to disassemble the whole thing for cleaning.
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke

I would prefer a rope of sand to shackles of iron.

Mailman

I thought Loc-Tite was the answer also, I found the "Purple" version. It is advertised as the least adhering of the brand. The next Appleseed will test it.
"Carry on"

eaglescouter

Blue Locktite is strong enough for the Ruger 10/22 provided that you clean the threads with rubbing alcohol first, and then use a minimal amount of the Locktite product (less is more).

However, for the takedown screw (holds action into the stock) I opted to replace the factory one with a hex head screw since I've never slipped with a hex head and left an ugly gouge on the item I was working on......  On this screw no Locktite is necessary.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

henschman

Tech sights
sling studs
1 1/4" swivels
GI web sling
Improved trigger pull
Auto bolt release
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

Mark Davis

An action screw that does not shoot loose. I have five 10/22's and think they are more than adequate for the average shooter I have seen attending Appleseeds.

A small rubber "o" ring just under the head of the screw works for me.

ErikAnderson

Rather than have two parallel threads, go here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=13849.0 and voice your opinion if you haven't already.

dwarven1

Yes. Remove the screw, put it in a vise (between a couple of pieces of wood, aluminum or brass, so you don't mung up the threads) and file off the last 1/16" of it. Voila. Done.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

type3malfunction

"Rather than have two parallel threads, go here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=13849.0  and voice your opinion if you haven't already."
Sorry - I can't find a reply button for that thread.

Slim and Gramma Goats touched on a good point - while an affordable out of the box LTR is a great idea, it takes a LOT of work to figure out how to prep your gun for your first AS.  We got 2 10/22s on sale at Big 5 and (after HOURS reading this forum) ordered a bunch of parts from Brownells and Midway (and slings from RWVA) and prayed they would arrive in time.  Friday night, before the AS, we guessed how and where to drill holes for the sling mounts and installed the slings and Bushnell scopes (from Amazon.com).  Having the slings and extra magazines (as well as the scopes for my old eyes) allowed us to really benefit from that first AS.  Now getting ready for our 3rd AS and still haven't installed the Volquartzen parts, although I think I will put on the extended mag release and auto bolt release.  We purchased a bipod on sale from Midway, but I doubt I'll ever install it.  Two of my problems in figuring out what to get - (1) too many choices (for a novice/non-gunsmith I couldn't appreciate the subtle nuances - I needed to know a good value worthwhile place to start) and (2) would have been helpful to have part numbers.

Since the idea behind this thread is to make it easy to benefit fully from your first AS, I think it is just as important to help a first-timer figure out how to modify a stock 10/22 as it is to try to get a manufacturer to offer a reasonably priced out of the box LTR.  I'll look through my receipts and parts and see if I can post my experience, but until then maybe there are others who can share.

markhu

That other thread seems locked to mere mortals.  I'd be open to trying a Marlin 795 now that I've built 2 LTR's based on Ruger 10/22, but sometimes it makes a newbie (me) feel comfortable to go with something they are told is the #1 popular.  BTW, The 10/22 is on sale this week at Turners Outdoorsman for only $189 this week in Southern California (either blue+synth or blue+wood).

Regarding factory add-ons, the sling studs should be the easiest to agree upon.  After that, I don't think it is too much to ask the customer to buy their own sling, swivels, and extra magazines.  This is enough to shoot Rifleman qualifying scores.  Everything else just makes it easier.
ICXC=NIKA

douglas34474

Well I'm building LTRs with all of the asked for modifications, including a trigger job.

Rifle: standard hardwood stocked Ruger 10-22 Carbine,
Sights: Tech-Sights TSR-100,
Sling swivels: Uncle Mike's 1-1/4" Super Swivels,
Sling: USGI style web sling,
Extended mag release: Christie & Christie,
Automatic release bolt hold open,
Fit extractor and firing pin to bolt,
Trigger job at 2.5# to 3# pull weight.

These are priced at $389.00, plus shipping to your FFL.

My contact information is:

Douglas G. Cowan, Gunsmithing
Licensed Gunsmith and Manufacture
phone: 352-236-0845
email: douglas@mfi.net

TomM1Thumb

I have done a few Appleseeds using a douglas34474 tuned rifle. It is one sweet shooting rifle!

" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

hawkeye

Why would you want to buy a generic LTR from Ruger, why not build your own with the mag release, stock , sights that suit you. It's an easy firearm to work on ,lots of bolt on parts , and plenty of people at Appleseed events that can help you if you need help. By building your own you learn about the firearm and how it functions plus the pride of doing it your self. 
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

dwarven1

Quote from: hawkeye on January 16, 2012, 09:52:00 AM
Why would you want to buy a generic LTR from Ruger, why not build your own with the mag release, stock , sights that suit you. It's an easy firearm to work on ,lots of bolt on parts , and plenty of people at Appleseed events that can help you if you need help. By building your own you learn about the firearm and how it functions plus the pride of doing it your self.

Because a lot of people are NOT handy with tools and are afraid of doing such work themselves. That's why.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Roland

Before we put too much thought into this, is it really going to happen thiss time?  Because this has come up more then a few times before, with no real result.
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec