News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ottawa IL May 15-16

Started by George63, May 15, 2010, 10:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George63

-----------------------------

EEL

Pappy and I checked the range and the forecast on Friday night.  Range was in great shape, forecast says NO RAIN!.  Yeah, like we haven't heard that before at Ottawa!!!!!    Our shooters were more than prompt.  3 arrived at 0700!  No one there, so breakfast was in order  ;D  Mrs. Pappy deftly handled all the check in details, as usual, and all were accounted for.  Pappy was running the show as SBIT and we got off to a great start.

The groups we saw down range early on looked veeeery promising.  O0  The shooters listened intently as Pappy went through the instruction and then they applied it with determination.  Keith was our 1st Rifleman of the weekend, with a TUBER no less!!  Nice job Keith.  

Close on his heels came Eric, a friend of his.  Imagine that!  Three guys came as a ready made Fire Team.  Think of that when you go to register for your next event.  Bring along some friends!!!!  It is way more fun, gives you someone to talk to on the way there / home, and creates a little friendly competition.  >:D

Not to be outdone, Danny, using a borrowed AR from Pappy, shot a 210.  Yup, he was given the Appleseed christening for that feat.  All our new Riflemen backed up their scores on subsequent AQTs with higher scores yet.  Guess they didn't want anyone saying they "lucked into it".  ^-^

We had quite a few more that were tasting that patch, but couldn't quite get there in the time we had.  Next time!  A rifleman persists.  He perseveres.  He is determined.  He never quits.  Dry fire  ~~:)  between now and the next shoot.  I'm holding some patches with a few names on them.  @)

Sadly, the weekend came to a close Sunday night.  Time to bid farewell to another group of awakened Americans.  Hopefully they will be back, with friends in tow, and do their part to save this Nation.

Unfortunately, pictures are forbidden at this location.  :wall:  Hopefully, Keith, Eric, and Danny will post a pic with their target that will be taken elsewhere.  :cool2:

An honor to be in the presence of a great group of Americans.

Thanks,
EEL

P.S.  It never did rain on us!!!  Is that a new record?  No rain in Ottawa and there was an Appleseed going on?  #)
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Pappy

Hello Group; Ottawa and Sunshine, WOW-  ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. could the spell be broken :bow: :bow: :bow: O0 Hope so!!

We started Saturday with 14 Shooters, in that number were 4 who had been before.  O0

As we got going the Shooters groups gave a sign that we had a great group to work with, folks were listening and applying the skills they were being taught.

Our first Rifleman of the day was Keith, firing a Marlin 60 Tube feed with tec sights. Well done Keith,  ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. O0
Next came Eric, with a scoped Ruger 10-22, Well done Eric!!  O0 :---
I have a feeling that we will see another fellow from this Three man Rifle team == group join the ranks of Riflemen very soon  :cool2: :cool2: O0
Next came Danny, a regular a Buffalo Range Shooting park in Ottawa Illinois. Danny made his Riflemans score with a AR15A3 Rifle, with Standard sights. His first Riflemans score 210 got him a wetting AS tradition demands. Danny came back with a 222 on the next AQT.. Interesting note he turned down a tricked out 10-22, stating I want to do it with this rifle cause I will feel like I EARNED IT. Well You did a great job of it!!!! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

We had a great group of folks to work with many who will be Riflemen this season, IF they do a small amount of DRY fire work three times each week till the next Appleseed event..  YES we do give Homework at Appleseed! the Diploma is the Riflemans Patch, You Can do it- if YOU make the commitment.. See you on the Appleseed Trail Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Squints

One of the best times I have ever experienced. I was surrounded by great instructors who were very willing to help and teach no matter what the skill level. I was fortunate enough to make Rifleman with my "tuber" as it's called at my first attempt (217) and that took the pressure off for the rest of the weekend. My buddy was able to make Rifleman the next day and my other accomplice improved his scores everytime he shot. (Pictures are in the making) All in all I could not have had more fun or been surrounded by better people. I am definitely attending another Appleseed and will be bringing everyone I can muster. Thanks to all of the instructors and those who attended for making it a safe and enjoyable weekend.

Gumballhead

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for helping make this another great shoot at Ottawa.  Pappy did a great job SBIT!  Yes, @ Ottawa, we stayed dry (it happened in November last year too!), and what a great group of shooters!  I have a feeling we will see many of you again on the trail, and maybe even a few orange hats too!  Speaking of which, congrats to Jake for stepping up and taking a hat!  Now it's time to pass on what you've learned, and help others along the trail.  

These are the shoots I really enjoy - everyone has a great time, everyone makes improvement, and no rain!  Congrats again to our three new riflemen, and to those knocking on/down the door, keep practicing the dry firing at home.  Marty, Chris, Wilson - you guys are so close - keep practicing dry firing by the numbers.  Remember those 6 steady hold factors, 6 steps to firing the shot, and find your NPOA.  You are all so close!

To the other instructors - big thanks to EEL, Pappy, Cliff, George63, and of course DOM.  Working with a great team means no one person has to do it all!

I encourage everyone who can make it to join us in Racine in 2 weeks - did someone say 600 yards??  %)  ^-^

Gumballhead