News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sunland CA May 8/9 2010 AAR

Started by V, May 10, 2010, 03:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

Another California milestone passed - our first Appleseed in Los Angeles County at Angeles Shooting Ranges (ASR).

Thanks to Paula the private range coordinator this was on one of their private ranges with the range fees waived. We presented her with a Certificate of Appreciation and a warm round of applause and thank you's from the shooters when she dropped round to help. Thank you ASR.

Saturday was warm but a nice breeze and we had 19 shooters on the line, 5 walkons. Sunday was overcast and cool and we had 14 shooters, 1 walk-on.

By Sunday evening we had four Rifleman patches issued and two volunteers for the Orange hat. Another great weekend for America, with everyone having a good time, everyone improving dramatically and with a lot of people knocking on the door around 200. Persistance and dry-practice folks, and you'll be there at your next Appleseed.

We had a great crew turn out, socalserf, CSHR, Rocket Man with SavageShotr and JohnnyAppleseed dropping round Sat afternoon and all day Sunday.

The range facilities are great and easy to setup, almost drive in and go, with a great shaded classroom area with picnic tables and a white board.

I'll be booking more dates at this range just as soon as the calendar opens up for the yearly free for all!

More details later as I sort out the paperwork.

Feel free to chime in folks. New shooters who haven't been here before simply register here and you can post your comments here too (click Reply in the bar at the top and bottom of this page). You can even upload your photos Brandon, click on the additional options below the text box when you are posting.

Cheers
V

socalserf

Quote from: V on May 10, 2010, 03:00:39 PM
Another California milestone passed - our first Appleseed in Los Angeles County at Angeles Shooting Ranges (ASR).

Yes this was a milestone, and one that I'm happy to have been there for.
THANK YOU Angeles Shooting Ranges!

It was a wonderful range(THANKS Paula!), we had great weather, a good Instructor crew, and last and most importantly, FANTASTIC Participants!
All of you who came made this a special event.
So PLEASE post your comment and observations, this program is all about you.

Special thanks also goes to Brandon for bringing in a whole crew of shooters AND for taking on the Orange Hat of destiny! HUZZAH!

Hey V, how about posting the Red Coat results. We had significant improvements though the weekend!
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

Johnnyappleseed

Really good shoot .
Great to work with you all again in cali.

Congratulations to our new Riflemen + for those joining us . Welcome aboard . O0
Hello Brandon, was a pleasure to meet you and looking forward to working with you soon .

Those who want a fine shooting range . Angleles has memberships available for nearly nothing .
Talk to the friendly range personal for more info . or PM Me

Thanx again to everyone who volunteered and especially to the attendees who took that big first step  O0
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

nohermosa

Hey Guys... I had a great time over the weekend at the Sunland Appleseed!

I learned a tremendous amount, and want to thank each and every instructor that took the time to patiently help us! Not only did I learn about shooting, but also about our true American history. Not the stuff we have been taught in schools. I am lucky enough to have parents who knew the difference and taught me that a lot of what I learned in school is propaganda.

Anyway, I am glad I was able to attend, and will pass the word onto others.

Once again, thank you instructors for the dedication and time you take out of you lives to teach us.

~mike

V

Hi,
Thanks for registering and the kind words. Look forward to seeing you on the Appleseed trail in the future with those "others"  ;)

What was your score? (Trying to work out which mike  ;) )

Cheers
Phil

Quote from: nohermosa on May 11, 2010, 07:22:26 PM

I learned a tremendous amount, and want to thank each and every instructor that took the time to patiently help us! Not only did I learn about shooting, but also about our true American history. Not the stuff we have been taught in schools. I am lucky enough to have parents who knew the difference and taught me that a lot of what I learned in school is propaganda.

Once again, thank you instructors for the dedication and time you take out of you lives to teach us.

~mike

nohermosa

216... I was the one that got rifleman on the last shoot of the day.

~mike

V

Quote from: nohermosa on May 11, 2010, 08:03:05 PM
216... I was the one that got rifleman on the last shoot of the day.

~mike
Congratulations...

Yep, we had a bunch of people who needed to leave by 4:30 or so (Mother's Day after all  ;) ) so we did the redcoats and the benediction and then I continued shooting AQT's with whoever wanted to stay. Mike shot his 216 at 6:15pm and gave a whoop as he scored it as me and the remaining four or five shooters were packing up the range.

Then Matt, who'd also shot Rifleman earlier, also decided that this was about the time to reconsider that decision on the Orange Hat. You guys made my day.

Thanks,
Phil

CSHR

nohermosa/mike

Congratulations!!!! I'd figured you had it in you!  ^:)^

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

SavageShootr

Congratulations Mike!!

Matt... Welcome aboard. Thanks for grabbing a bucket.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Rocket Man

Wow...  19 great shooters, four Riflemen, two new Orange Hats?   ^:)^

Was that a great weekend or what?

Thank YOU all for sharing your weekend with us.  And if you want to give us extra thanks, the best way is to help us out.  Tell your neighbors, bring your friends, don a Hat, grab a bucket.  Pay it forward.  Carry on in the best traditions of Americans.   8)
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

V

Our other instructor and  Rifleman were Brandon and one of the friends he brought Brian. Brandon had already shot rifleman at previous Appleseeds and volunteered for an Orange Hat. Brian shot rifleman for the first time.

Our fourth Rifleman was another Mike Mark.

Congratulations to all. Brandon had a camera and took lots of photos, looking forward to seeing them posted here. Hint, Hint.  ;)

socalserf

Congratulations Mike, and too Brian as well. Nice work!

BTW, I found on another forum this link which someone was good enough to post about his experience at this shoot.
http://hudsonicdev.com/m/index.php?title=AppleSeed

And the post at MyOptimal that got them to us.
http://www.youroptimal.com/blog/2010/04/02/appleseeds-of-life-precision/

Who can we credit this to?

Chinny33

enjoy the pix
IXOYE

markhu

Hi, Markhu here... I was the penultimate qualifier with a 215 as scored by SocalSerf (that's my picture with the 2 targets and my patch taped to my chest) but for some reason don't see myself listed at the bottom of the list of California Riflemen at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6849.0

I wonder if some of the confusion is because my name "Mark" often gets confused with "Mike." 

Thanks for the kind words about my wiki/blog post.

Quote from: V on May 11, 2010, 07:34:59 PM
Hi,
Thanks for registering and the kind words. Look forward to seeing you on the Appleseed trail in the future with those "others"  ;)

What was your score? (Trying to work out which mike  ;) )

Cheers
Phil

Quote from: nohermosa on May 11, 2010, 07:22:26 PM

~mike
ICXC=NIKA

V

Wow,

Can you believe we get to do this every weekend? At every event I am always blown away by the quality and determination of the people who attend and yet it never gets old.

Reading blogs and postings like Mark's (sorry about the Mike there, its me age) and Terrence's in Sacramento make everything we do absolutely worthwhile and gives hope again that this program will make a difference in the future course of this country.

Its is humbling to be a part of these events.

Thank you
Phil

V

Quote from: markhu on May 12, 2010, 03:11:29 PM
Hi, Markhu here... I was the penultimate qualifier with a 215 as scored by SocalSerf (that's my picture with the 2 targets and my patch taped to my chest) but for some reason don't see myself listed at the bottom of the list of California Riflemen at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6849.0

I wonder if some of the confusion is because my name "Mark" often gets confused with "Mike." 

Sorry, my fault. Age is killing my ability with names, even the one's I know. I'll get Bob to change it.

Hope to see you on the trail and hopefully, one day, taking up a hat. You certainly have the ability and knowledge.

Cheers
Phil

V

Brandon, thanks for the pictures, I knew there was something I left behind - note to self: Bring Camera!

Cheers
Phil

Terence

The pictures are great, Chinny33. Do you mind if I use one in a brief follow-up article
about Appleseed?

I'm the Terence who wrote the YourOptimal Article about Sacramento  mentioned by Mark, here. It was Bill Buppert's (AZ instructor) article that gave me a leg up
and I think my shootboss and instructors would appreciate seeing the chain of their efforts continue!

Terence

V

Somebody asked for Red Coat, "Hits Count," Rung what you brung scores.

Sat AMSat PMSun AMSun PM
400 Yards1112
300 Yards1642
200 Yards2254
100 Yards4512
250 Yards2457
zero8110
Cleared0112

Looking at that 250 yards, go for the officers boys, score improvements, it looks like something we said in the history must have focused some minds... ;)

CSHR

Chinny33/brandon
Thanks for the pictures, the enthusiasm, bringing friends, loaning them rifles, and making all of us envious by your 'seated' position with elbows on the ground  ++)
You do have to retire that ranch rifle or get a brass catcher though  ~~:) O0
and, of course, taking the 7th step  ^:)^
oh yeah, and for posting the picture with 2 'Mike's' in it, just to confuse things further  :sos:

Markhu
AIO...adapt, improvise, overcome........cleaning the 'redcoat' and making 'rifleman'...impressive weekend......again my congratulations to you.  O0

It was exciting for me to watch you absorb and practice the 'lessons' and then put them all together. Why I volunteer.  :wall: :wb:

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/trimag.html is a site for 'trimag' which connects 3 of the 10 round mags together in a 'cloverleaf'. Shouldn't have to pay more than $9.95 +S&H. Addresses your 'kit' of things to bring, it also helps the mags 'drop free' easier with the weight; you can load the '2 rounds' and mark it for easy re-loading.

I'll also jump out there and tell you get the Garand, ammo and en bloc's, use the CMP and the paperwork from 'V' to show you were at a shoot. Don't waste your time with the sks or M1 carbine at this time.
There are lots of websites you can search on the Garand to help you more.

CSHR/michael
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

markhu

Um, what paperwork?  Did I miss something while I was in the porta-potty?  :-\ Or because I was an hour late both mornings?  $$-0

Quote from: CSHR on May 12, 2010, 09:41:21 PM
I'll also jump out there and tell you get the Garand, ammo and en bloc's, use the CMP and the paperwork from 'V' to show you were at a shoot. Don't waste your time with the sks or M1 carbine at this time.

CSHR/michael
ICXC=NIKA

V

Quote from: markhu on May 13, 2010, 06:18:14 PM
Um, what paperwork?  Did I miss something while I was in the porta-potty?  :-\ Or because I was an hour late both mornings?  $$-0

CSHR/michael
No I think you were there at the Benediction both days... 1) Be a US Citizen, 2) Be a member of an affiliated club, 3) Attend an at least 50 rounds shooting clinic. Download the stuff from the CMP website and start ordering rifles/ammo/etc.

I could give you paperwork for 2 or 3. You can buy 2 online (Eventbrite RWVA Membership $20/year). 3 I would have signed and handed out to all who ask. If you want it PM me your mailing address and I'll send it to you.

Cheers
Phil

CSHR

Markhu,
A man of letters I see.
Guess we're attracting a higher class of people these days.    **) **) ^:)^ ^:)^
CSHR

Charles Lutwidge Dodgson

Jabberwocky

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought--
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Rocket Man

Quote from: CSHR on May 12, 2010, 09:41:21 PMI'll also jump out there and tell you get the Garand, ammo and en bloc's, use the CMP and the paperwork from 'V' to show you were at a shoot. Don't waste your time with the sks or M1 carbine at this time.

Let me just say that if you ever want an M1 Carbine, NOW is the time to get one from the CMP.  They'll be completely out in a matter of weeks.

Garands are a whole different ballgame than a Carbine -- bigger, more accurate, more powerful, capable of great scores on a full-distance AQT -- though there's no rush to get one of them.  Best to order a Winchester unless you don't mind waiting; the HRA's are backed up a few months.  (I'm in the queue.)   :-\
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

nyrasgt

CMP Data:
  1)  Believe Springfield Garands are most commonly "in stock," with shortest (relatively) waiting times - but all
       times substantially increased due to demand.  Patience a virtue, like ordering from Fred.
  2)  CMP catalogs make outstanding giveaways/motivational and promotional materials at both Appleseeds and at
       AS tables at gunshows.  Since we promote and encourage 'seeders to buy rifles from CMP, having qualified
      to do so by participating in AS shooting, am somewhat surprised the favor, of promoting AS activities, is not
      reciprocated by CMP...or perhaps no one has ever asked?
       CMP is typically very willing to send out a case of their current catalog for distribution @ AS activities, for the
     asking.  I've run through a case of 2009s and recently received a case of 2010s; distributed @ Albany Gun Show
      Saraspa, and, this weekend, at Dunham's Bay F&G in Lake George.
3)  My experience w. CMP dates back to DCM, their offices on Mass Ave. in Washington, DC, and receiving, from
     Seneca Military Depot, Romulus, NY, FREE .22, .30 carbine and .30-06 ammo (in 8 rd clips!) as well as               actual carbines and Daisy 853s for use by my HS Rifle Team.  Those were the days; we'll never see them again.
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

socalserf

Quote from: markhu on May 13, 2010, 06:18:14 PM

CSHR/michael

Get a Garand if you possibly can.
Best rifle deal on the PLANET!

Terence

'Seeders,

I wrote a follow-up Appleseed article that refers to this Sunland event.

Please use or forward if it may assist the next Rifleman:

The Only Thing Better Than Becoming a Rifleman

Chinny33, I used one of your pictures posted on this thread. Please let me know
if that's alright with you.

Terence

V

Terence and MarkHu,

When I see the Appleseed spirit so enthusiastically espoused in its general applicability by people who "get it" it makes everything we do seem worthwhile and restores the hope.

I look forward to meeting you all again, with your friends and family, on the Appleseed Trail and would hope that some of you will give serious consideration to volunteering in one form  or another to helping us with the program. Seventh stepping as you are doing now, spreading the Appleseed promotions, helping with organizing and setting up ranges, even becoming an instructor. The country needs all the help it can get.

Thanks again,

Phil "V"

L0ck3

Thanks to everyone that made the Angeles Shooting Range Appleseed event happen. Especially the $0 range fee!  How will we know that Angeles will host another Appleseed?  More importantly, how soon could this next Angeles AS happen?
Thanks.
L0ck3 (Tom)
310-709-5608
I am capital L zero c k three on Appleseed forum and LibertySeed forum.

Every man has a property in his own person. This nobody has a right to, but himself.
--John Locke

Government has no other end, but the preservation of property.
--John Locke

Rocket Man

Keep checking the Forum, and keep looking for the date on the sign-up page.

We're certainly going to work with Angeles in the future, as often as we can.  It may be a few months before we can return, however.  In the meantime, there are lots and lots of other Southern California events.  Don't forget about them!