News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Slippery Rock (SLSC), PA May 8-9, 2010

Started by EZ3, May 09, 2010, 12:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ3

Did you know that shooting mats make great sails?  One of the many shooting-related facts learned at Slippery Rock Sportsman's Club on Saturday.

Where a few hardy souls.....

tutored by a combined crew of WV and PA instructors...

learned that a rifleman perseveres, and improves!

More fun tomorrow!!!    :~
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

EZ3

Back for more fun in the sun on Mother's Day.  Six students, six instructors......

and three new Riflemen!!!   Matt,...

John,...

and Jay!

"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Cowdog

Thanks for the pictures EZ!  (and your help)
Thanks to Spanner, WVfalcon, and Chrome for coming up to do this one.

In spite of the weather, the youngsters all had a great time, and it's great to see the next generation of riflemen and (one young woman) coming along. 

I think getting off the DAR to the local club  will really help the program to grow around here!

My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Cowdog

I forgot to mention a couple of things!

1. A very big thank you  O0 to the Slippery Rock Sportsman's Club. They closed the range Friday to allow us to set up. Club members provided students and instructors with coffee and donuts and hot lunches each day. O0

2. Saturday, we had a majority of bolt guns on the line (Not unusual in western Pennsylvania). Jay, the young man in the photo above, shot 2 rifleman scores in a row with his bolt action Browning .22! By Sunday on  stage two and three of the AQT, he was working that bolt like a WWI Marine. It was fun to watch  :---

3. We had one very determined young lady who I believe will make her 210 at the next one.  

4. The WV crew camped in tents at my farm in very cold snowy wet and windy weather for two nights. They ran cold camp: no coffee, no fires.  In spite of my repeated offers, they refused firewood or coffee.  Mountaineers are not just riflemen, they are tough!   :bow:
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Chrome

I had a blast up there with you guys, despite not being able to get sweet tea for dinner!  That was worse than the cold and the wet!

Quote from: Cowdog on May 10, 2010, 02:44:43 PM
I forgot to mention a couple of things!

1. A very big thank you  O0 to the Slippery Rock Sportsman's Club. They closed the range Friday to allow us to set up. Club members provided students and instructors with coffee and donuts and hot lunches each day. O0

Yeah, that was a very nice facility.  From talking with Shawn and John, seems they have a real desire to keep going with improvements.

2. Saturday, we had a majority of bolt guns on the line (Not unusual in western Pennsylvania). Jay, the young man in the photo above, shot 2 rifleman scores in a row with his bolt action Browning .22! By Sunday on  stage two and three of the AQT, he was working that bolt like a WWI Marine. It was fun to watch  :---

On Saturday, Jay was consistently the first shot fired, and the first one finished.  When I got down to his level, I noticed he replaced his right elbow in nearly the same spot every time.  Whether he fully understands NPOA or not, he's found it.  I had a blast watching him work that bolt.  I really think once that gun breaks in and smooths out, he'll be even faster.

3. We had one very determined young lady who I believe will make her 210 at the next one.  

Definitely.  All weekend long, stage 2 and 3 were giving her problems with the time constraint.  Too much fussing the shot.  I began coaching her on time, and whadda ya know, she finally started getting all her shots off, and they were in the grey!  On her last AQT, she shot a 42 average on the top three stages, but jerked the trigger on stage 4 and missed a 210 by a few points.  That proves she definitely can do it, just need some more practice so everything falls into place.

4. The WV crew camped in tents at my farm in very cold snowy wet and windy weather for two nights. They ran cold camp: no coffee, no fires.  In spite of my repeated offers, they refused firewood or coffee.  Mountaineers are not just riflemen, they are tough!   :bow:

Hard as a coal miner, strong as a steel worker.   ;)

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi