News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

.::. Vienna OH National Volley Shoot April 17th-18th .::.

Started by Dinky Dao, April 21, 2010, 02:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinky Dao

What an awesome weekend! What a terrible ice storm!

LOL.

Instructors: Dinky SB, Arpjoe, redman1, birdman, and Larry. Club member Pam came out to assist on the line, as well, to get in some range hours. Thanks Pam, for the help!

Larry, as usual, you history presentation was FANTASTIC.

All, I got home EARLY this morning, and I'll post more AFTER I get more sleep! I'll be posting pics as well.  @)

Check back tonight for the full scoop!

And if you attended the shoot, CHECK IN and SOUND OFF!

Dinky
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

straitshootr

Straitshootr  checking in:

BIG BIG THANK YOU to Dinky, Arpjoe, redman1, birdman,  Larry, and Pam. The marksmanship expertise and instruction shown were EXCELLENT,  exceeding my expectations!   
Larry, your history was well researched, thorough and interesting. THAT is the way I like to see history presented. Arpjoe, I can't thank you enough for the loaner. You saved the weekend for my son, for which I will always be grateful. Birdman, you and the rest showed great patience with the young people. I will learn from your example.
Redman, you have good attention to detail, keep it up!
Dinky, the white star was the real eye opener! Also, the demands of the course served to expose some maintenance shortfalls on my part, making my AQT's miserable, for the time being. I am working to overcome these. Trying to put all of this together is a lot of fun! We had some good shooters on the line, and even they improved, proving the quality of the instruction. I'm aiming for Salem in July, with my son, and maybe a few others.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

Farslayer

Thanks to Dinky and all the Instructors.  It was nice to see Tom again it's been a few years since we last saw each other, outside of the Shooting sports. 

I don't recall history being ever being interesting or enjoyable to me when I was in school, but I sure did enjoy Larry's history talks. amazing how things change as a person get older.

Aside from the Temperature and the weather I really enjoyed the weekend.  It helped fill in some of the missing pieces for me for precision shooting. 
I'm looking forward to the next CMP match at our club to see what I can do with my score and pull that CMP average up a bit. it's time to leave the lower 400's behind :)

This was my first appleseed event, imagine how happy I was at being able to pull off rifleman the first time out.  I just finished my registration for New Philadelphia Appleseed at the end of June, maybe I will see some of you there.

Here's a few pictures from the event, I wish I had taken a picture of our Star challenge target near the end.  poor thing was decimated reminded me of the old days at the gallery shoots with those full auto BB guns.:)

Gotta love that Ohio Weather !

The Line

My First Redcoat - Durn headshot

First batch of Riflemen There were a couple additional Riflemen by the end of the shoot but I don't have that photo..

Notice the wind blowing the flags.. yep a nice stiff breeze..

After leaving the appleseed  shoot I headed straight down to Youngstown to catch a bus to DC. for the Second Amendment march. Luckily the guys on the bus were paying attention cause I fell asleep in my car in the parking lot while I was waiting and almost missed it, but they spotted me and were able to get me on the bus before they pulled out.

Talk about a long exhausting weekend.  Frozen & windburned in Ohio, then sun burned in D.C.   Good times, good times.. :)

Mark

GlockMan

This Appleseed condensed these fundamentals (the six steps) into a package that reminded me what I had not been doing. I expect to see a big improvement in my future scores!

My first Redcoat was a pretty sorry picture with only the 100 yd stage cleared, but by Sunday I was clearing all stages except for that old head shot! I might have earned the rifleman badge on Saturday or Sunday AM but I self destructed on the AQTs by dropping a mag across the firing line during the reload in rapid fire, or crossfire on my buddies target, or shooting the shots out of sequence on stages 2 and 3. !@#)  Only hits count! Fortunately, I was able to put it together on the last AQT to shoot a qualifying score. ^:)^  Good thing too! Both My buddies shot rifleman scores and it would have been a long drive back home if I had not.

Dinky and the rest of the instructors, you guys did a great job! You all were very patient with the new and junior shooters, and not too hard on the old guys when we messed up! I'll be looking forward to shooting with you all again!  
Jerry, aka Gib's buddy (the old guy with the beard!)

GlockMan

After rereading (several times) my first reply to this post I thought my comments may sound like I am a pompous know it all who can't be taught anything!  ::) That is NOT what I meant. I know I have a lot to learn about shooting as well as a lot of other things too.
I meant that I thought the level of instruction was outstanding and served as an excellent refresher for even an experienced shooter.
I hope no one took offense, but I apologize if they did.  :-[
Now if I could figure out how to edit my posts I could just reword the original rather post a new reply!

MsMtnEagle

What a FABULOUS weekend!  Cold, windy, and snowy... but FABULOUS!  Many thanks to Dinky, Joe, Birdman, Redman & Larry  for hosting/coaching/ and working at Vienna's second annual Appleseed!  :)  Met LOTS of super great folks, saw many improve their scores and shooting abilities!  It was AWESOME!  I did some coaching, did LOTS of learning, and appreciated everything I learned from all who took time to teach me something new, or different!   THANK YOU!  O0  Birdman and Redman did an awesome job of coaching Cathy thru her basics in a "fast forward thru the basics while everyone else is at lunch" presentation!  LOL!  That was great guys!!!!   I was glad I could observe their teaching techniques and learn even more from them!  Ok, so I DID miss my Rifleman Award Presentation... but, it was for a good cause I tell ya!   ^-^
I hope to see some familiar faces at the Beaver Creek, PA Appleseed in June, I'll be there to Learn, Shoot and listen to what my targets are telling me! 
See ya'll soon!
Pam
"I never said it would be easy, I said it would be worth it"
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got"  
"What would you choose to do today if you KNEW that you would succeed?"

redman1

Hi Glockman

just curious what great shooters have you trained under?

Quote from: GlockMan on April 22, 2010, 04:58:03 PM
This was my first Appleseed, and I did not really learn anything new about rifle shooting.  ??? After 30 years or so involvement with NRA and CMP High Power, reading books and watching videos. attending clinics and talking to great shooters, I had already learned about all the fundamentals of rifle shooting. The problem was that I was not using all of the stuff I had learned over all these years and my scores have been dropping instead of improving.  :wall: This Appleseed condensed these fundamentals (the six steps) into a package that reminded me what I had not been doing. I expect to see a big improvement in my future scores!

My first Redcoat was a pretty sorry picture with only the 100 yd stage cleared, but by Sunday I was clearing all stages except for that old head shot! I might have earned the rifleman badge on Saturday or Sunday AM but I self destructed on the AQTs by dropping a mag across the firing line during the reload in rapid fire, or crossfire on my buddies target, or shooting the shots out of sequence on stages 2 and 3. !@#)  Only hits count! Fortunately, I was able to put it together on the last AQT to shoot a qualifying score. ^:)^  Good thing too! Both My buddies shot rifleman scores and it would have been a long drive back home if I had not.

Dinky and the rest of the instructors, you guys did a great job! You all were very patient with the new and junior shooters, and not too hard on the old guys when we messed up! I'll be looking forward to shooting with you all again! 
Jerry, aka Gib's buddy (the old guy with the beard!)
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill.To subdue the enemy without  fighting is the highest skill..
-SUN-TZU

The less effort,the faster and more powerful you will be..
-Bruce Lee

GlockMan

Hi Redman1,
When you shoot at Camp Perry (or any other major range) you have to spend a lot of time in the pits pulling targets. Over the years I have been lucky enough to have been paired with various members of the Marine or Army shooting teams as well as other accomplished shooters. I wouldn't call the conversations we had during ceasefires as "training under" but I did get a lot of good advice! :)  I found Jim Owens series of books very informative and the CMP put out a good video set.
I have also received some excellent training at Front Sight Firearms Training Academy www.frontsight.com in Pistol, Shotgun and Rifle classes, and Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy (OPOTA)
I would rate the Appleseed Project's ability to teach the amount of material that they do in such a short time as equivalent or superior to Front Sight or OPOTA. The fact that you are all volunteers makes that an amazing accomplishment! O0
Good Job!

MsMtnEagle

I know that Redman1 is possibly too shy to admit this... :-[ but he HAS shot at Camp Perry.  Last year, for the M-16 National Rifle Match.  594 shooters were competing.  He placed at #24 with a score of 363/5   (His overall score was 363 with 5 bullseyes!!!!!)  The winner had a score of 379/7.  And actually, Redman1 had a higher score than the winner in slow fire prone position.   :bow:   O0    Now.. if I can just figure out how to do that!  I see many more Appleseed events in my future...  :)
MsMtnEagle
"I never said it would be easy, I said it would be worth it"
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got"  
"What would you choose to do today if you KNEW that you would succeed?"

redman1

Vienna was a very nice shoot.weather was a bit cold ,but we managed to mold several Riflemen out of the class.Wish we could have more shoots at this venue.

Dinky,birdman,larry,arp,pam all did a fantastic job.Pam its time for you to put on the orange hat,and share your rifle secrets ~~:)....

I enjoyed myself alot and hope to see you all very soon at the next Appleseed

redman
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill.To subdue the enemy without  fighting is the highest skill..
-SUN-TZU

The less effort,the faster and more powerful you will be..
-Bruce Lee