News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sierra Vista, AZ April 17-18, 2010 AAR

Started by lysander6, April 19, 2010, 03:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lysander6

Sierra Vista, AZ April 17-18 (Revolution Day!), 2010

Shoot Boss: lysander6
RH:  None
IIT:  AzRyan (IIT1), AZBinary (IIT0), usarmyguyretired (IIT0) and AZTito (IIT0)

Riflemen:   3!
Scores: 211, 221 and 238 (!)
Knocking on the door: 4 (we even had a 209)

What a great shoot with great Americans.  We had a turnout of 31 shooters, some from Tucson.  One bright young man flew in from Montana!  Everyone just intellectually vacuumed up the instruction and we could see the results downrange.  It always makes my heart sing to see my fellow citizens take an entire weekend to help us bail out the ship.

The local newspaper came out and did a story and photo shoot of the Appleseed on Saturday which made page three of the paper with a full color photo of one of our young shooters on the line in the Sunday edition (a scanned PDF will be posted soonest).  The text was fair and did not paint us in a negative fashion.  

During lunch on Saturday, I did the First Strike and AZRYAN and AZBinary acquitted themselves with flair in the sharing of the next two Strikes. We were able to award all three of our Riflemen with special prizes thanks to the baubles sent from Corporate AS.  I also gave a copy of John Adams DVD set to our highest scoring Rifleman (238! He is InTheHills on the forum).  At 1300 hours, we sent our Revolution Day volley down range with vigor and grace.  We then proceeded with our AQTs after some drills.

Sunday saw a lowering in attendance by half a dozen but we proceeded apace but the shooters were spent by late afternoon and we shot our final Redcoat at approx 1545 and then proceeded with the benediction.  Thanks to an anonymous donor, 10 RWVA memberships were purchased at that benediction.  The shooters appeared to be very happy with the weekend.

I could not have asked for a better IIT crew.  They never faltered and always maintained the professional demeanor that makes us so unique.  Both usarmyguyretired and AZTito were the signal difference in the quality of instruction we could deliver.  They allowed coaching to take place consistently on the line.
Perfect weather and it never got unpleasant.  We are at 5000 feet in the desert.

Total of 10 AQTs fired produced three Riflemen and four consistent scorers between 190 and 210 knocking on the door.  As mentioned before, a 209 was fired (yes, I tried to find the last point but could not honorably do so).  

We did a variety of drills to include B&D, carding, and NPOA on sighter squares with great results.  Shooters really started to improved scores over time.

All Orange Hats acquitted themselves with honor and our instructor cadre is growing.  AZBinary has the mission to get an Appleseed range in Tucson, the missing link.
As ShootBoss, I was the only Red hat but this is just a matter of time.  We are seeding the fields in AZ and the Orange Hat crew I had was safe and enthusiastic.  They also brought very mature and diverse shooting backgrounds which only improved the instruction.  No points of instruction suffered in the least.

All in all, no better way to spend revolution Day weekend.  As MOGromit says, I meet some of the best people I know on the Appleseed trail.  Thanks to all who attended, check the Forum to see new events in AZ during the year.

Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...

AZbinary

"I meet some of the best people I know on the Appleseed trail"

Isn't that the truth!  It was a wonderful event, and I really enjoy meeting these great people!

Can't wait to do it again!
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

Kaiser Leib

You're certainly 2 for 3 on your description of that Montanan, lysander6.

This was a great shoot. AzRyan and AZBinary (and, of course, lysander6) gave excellent historical context for the day's activities, and all the instructors were extremely helpful. A single tip from AzRyan bumped my scores from about 100 (eww) to about 150 (...well, that's a little better), consistently.

Furthermore, you Arizona Appleseeders are certainly some of the best people I've ever met. It warms my heart to see young, old, inexperienced and expert shooters coming together for this sort of self-improvement and education. Kudos to all those who brought their children, wives and husbands.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm lysander6, AzRyan, AzBinary, usarmyguyretired and AZTito have succeeded in lighting a fire under this shooter. I look forward to seeing you all in September!
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke

I would prefer a rope of sand to shackles of iron.

usarmyguyretired

This was my second Appleseed, first time as a line safety.  I had a great time and enjoyed working with the shooters who all were clearly interested in improving their skills.  The Appleseed is clearly the safest civilian range I have had the pleasure to associate.  After all my years in the Army it was absolutely disconcerting to fire on some civlian ranges.  I do not feel my life, the team or the shooters liver are in danger at Appleseed events.

O0 My wife was one of those knocking on the door with the help of great instruction.  This was her second Appleseed.  We feel the third time will be a charm.  We are also scheduling one of our three daughters for the next event.  The one whose sole ambition is to join the Army and "save" the world.  I want her trained correctly in firearm techniques before someone has a chance to teach her bad habits.

Look forward to continuing this great effort of dual education, firearms and unadulterated history.

Thanks Crew. 

azmule

This was my second Appleseed - learning what I had though I already knew (but apparently didn't) and having a lot of fun at the same time.  But to set the record straight, I'm the guy who scored what I counted to be a 211 on the second AQT; with all due respect to the IIT who verified my target and came up with a higher number, I think he may have made an addition error - I went over it at home with a magnifying glass and a calculator and still get 211.  Fortunately, that's enough so that I don't have to return the patch and coin, but it leaves me more room for improvement.   :)
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Chaz

This was my first Appleseed and me and my daughter really enjoyed the event.  The instructors were very professional, capable as well as just plain great folks.  I can't wait for the next one so I can get my other young'un up for the event.  Thanks again for your volunteer time and patience.

Chaz

lysander6

It is so inspiring to hear from the shooters and I hope you come again in SEP and/or DEC 2010.

I have attached the news article published Sunday in the local paper.
Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...

AZbinary

Chaz,

It was great having you guys out, and I look forward to seeing you again in September. 

AZMule,

We use the .30 cal rule, that is, we pretend the hole is bigger than the .22 cal ones and if it breaks the line, you get the higher score, maybe that's it?  Still, great shooting!

I'll have to send Joe a copy of the article.

See you all on the trail,

AZBinary
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011