News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

~~~ New Philadelphia, OH: April 17-18, 2010 ~~~

Started by MeanStreaker, April 19, 2010, 12:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanStreaker

A very big thank you to the Tusco Rifle Range for hosting us on this memorable weekend.  It is an absolutely beautiful facility all around and they took great care of us by making everyone comfortable and providing delicious lunches both days.

A very big thank you to the Instructors that left their families to drive to eastern Ohio and help spread the seeds of Marksmanship and Heritage.

A very, very, very big thank you to the 38 shooters that came out on Saturday on a cold, dreary, but beautiful day and the 39 that were present on Sunday.  You are what made this event special.

And it certainly was special.  I have to say that this was one of the most inspiring Appleseed events I have ever witnessed.  It's definitely in the top three.  No question.  O0

A very big Congratulations to our 7 newest Riflemen and 2 new IITs (who both made Rifleman last year at Gibsonburg).  Welcome aboard!

Every shooter present, young and old, quickly adopted an attitude of good nature and persistence and it payed off when all drastically improved their marksmanship skills, despite the weather and few snow flakes we happily endured.

We went from having 5 people "qualified" on the 200 yard Redcoat target Saturday morning to all but 5 qualified on the 300 yard target by Sat night.  The rest of the shot groups and scores improved at the same pace!   :---

Our Junior shooters were a privilege to have on the line and I look forward to them returning so they can get their Rifleman patch.  Matthew is certainly not far away.  

I was honored to share this historic weekend with everyone.  It is something I won't forget.

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

5knots

Just returned from the Event in New Philly.  Took one of my daughters, niece, and one of my sons and three friends.  Unbelievable!  Cannot believe the level of expertise and knowledge that was shared.  A huge Thank You! to all the folks involved.  I loved the history of our past.  If I wasn't so tired I would be up all night thinking of the weekend!  some of us it was the only the first or second times we had shot a rifle and skills we came away with were amazing ( as well as a Rifleman patch!).  I cannot wait to shoot again and increase my level of expertise.  Kudos to MeanStreaker for a great event!  Thank you from Orrville!
Anyone thinking of gaining some expertise firing, handling, being safe with a rifle I strongly urge you to attend one of these events.  Even if you are completely new to firearms this event will give you a base of information you can use throughout your shooting years.  if you don't have a .22 rifle....borrow one from a friend.  You will come away from an Appleseed event inspired both in firearms use and ownership and the in depth heritage stories shared by those in charge....I wish High School History class would have been as good!

5knots

I forgot to offer a Thank You to the Tusco Rifle club for sponsoring the event.  I realize it inconvenienced some of your memebers to have the range occupied for the weekend and we appreciate it.  What a fantastic Range you have there at Tusco!  Very, very impressive.  Thanks again!

jeep45238

Getting that green patch and sewing RIFLEMAN (with a capital R!!) into my el-cheapo vest made a few things click in my head.  This will probably be a long post, so fire up the coffee pot, or open up your favorite adult beverage and get comfortable.

This was my first event as an orange hat.  After 4 grueling 8+ hour days doing transitions, boiling in the sun, rubbing my elbows on my shooting mat to a bloody pulp, having a permanent scar from freshly fired .223 scar on my left elbow, and some of the best firearm instruction I've had since I first shot a rifle as a youngster (and I've learned from Navy rifle instructors, various private instructors, IDPA competitions, and TDI-Ohio) - I accepted an orange hat.

I accepted this hat after being offered one by somebody who I am extremely proud to call a friend, Slim.  For those who have not met Slim yet, understand this about me - I value the quality of my friends drastically more than the quantity.  I have a small circle of them, but as time goes on, I know that they will be there for me, no matter the situation, or the hardships it puts upon themselves in the process.  That fact right there, time has proven - and it generally takes a while to consider somebody within that circle.  Not so with Slim - after learning so much from him in Gibsonburg last year, we finally caught up with each other at the beginning of this year, where I was able to teach him some things, and myself from him.  The orange hat was offered to me by Slim away from the firing line, and I declined on the condition that I will earn that hat, after I earn that patch.  Sadly, Slim was not there to pass on the orange hat when I accepted, but I am looking forward to working with him on the AS line in the future, along with escapades away from AppleSEED.  Meanstreaker, Hoover, Velcro, Buttstock - ALL of the instructors that I worked with this weekend are of the same caliber person that my friend Slim is - and trust me ladies and gentleman, that caliber is much, much larger than .50BMG.  HUZZAH!  

I literally wiped some tears from my eyes after seeing one of my other friends, Corey, accept the orange hat this weekend - HUZZAH!  HUZZAH!  HUZZAH! ^:)^

The quality of the people that you will meet at various firearm shooting events have been, in my relatively young life, some of the best.  Period.  The instructors that I worked the line with proved that to me once again.  The students - you reaffirmed this fact of life ALL DAY, EVERY DAY that we shared the cold wind, hot meals, and after hours around a camp fire.  EVERYBODY was eager to learn - some resisted our ways at first, but eventually realized that they were there for a reason.  Just because you have been shooting for 20 years does not mean you have been shooting well for 20 years - but it also does not mean you have been shooting badly for 20 years.  We all learned things about techniques, others, and ourselves, even those of us who did not fire many, if any, rounds down range.  As a particular red sweatshirt says on the back "The floggings will continue until marksmanship improves!"  &)

That said, we had about 4 young boys, a few women of various ages, and the balance made of young men.  Rifles on the line varied from 10/22's, tube fed Marlin's (semi auto and lever action), scoped rifles, iron sights, tanker .308 M1 Garands, AR15's, .22 AR's, etc. - a large variety, though most shot .22LR for a large portion of the day.  Everybody was safe, and after some history lessons and marksmanship instructions, quite a few people started to know what they were about.  At the end of the weekend, we had 7 new Rifleman(woman) - with a CAPITAL R!  Everybody that did not earn a patch (yet) still learned the fundamentals needed for that patch, and I'm sure will sign up again for an event again in the future.  I had a grin on my face that rarely went away as I saw things start to click for people - especially on the second day after a night of recoup, sleep, and some food.  That nice slow trigger squeeeeeeeeze to the rear, stocks modified with duct tape and clothing to fit the shooter, feeling that pain in the shoulder from getting the elbow under the rifle - it was amazing to see the transformations take place.

:cool2:

The nationwide volley held at 4PM EST was extremely moving for me - almost a spiritual event.  I'd like to think that this somber moment gave a connection to our unique experiment in liberty for many people to those that fought and died for the ability to call ourselves Americans.  The mere fact that we are able to assemble peacefully, and fire a volley of lead without asking permission is one amazing right that a vast majority of people in the world can not experience today.  Less than 5% of the world's population enjoy this right, and after spending last weekend on the firing line in the baking sun with a class mate of mine from China (who is now a US Army Reservist) - to not utilize our unique rights we have today, or much worse take then for granted and NOT remember those that fought for us less than 300 years ago is, in my opinion, a crying shame.  That volley really did move me.

All in all, the event was amazing.  The students - I honestly can not say any more about you than what has already been said.  The young children - you guys are simply awesome.  Ladies, thanks for coming out.  It's great to see more women coming to these events.  Fellas, keep up the work.

You're all rifleman/woman in my books - just that a few of you have a capital R  ;)  

..:..
USAF A1C ~ Never settle for the ordinary.

Rights cease to exist when restrictions are put on them.

MeanStreaker

Great report, Jeep.  It was a pleasure having you behind the line.

I had to go and steal a picture off a report one of our newest Riflemen posted on Ohioans For Concealed Carry's forums because it brings a smile to my face. :)

"So, you guys shoot at 25 meters?  What does that do for ya?"

Answer: This at 500 yards.

Hopefully others got pictures of the rest of the beautiful distance range at New Phila with the steel and D targets we had going.

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Buzzworth

Quote from: jeep45238 on April 19, 2010, 03:23:33 PM
The nationwide volley held at 4PM EST was extremely moving for me - almost a spiritual event.  I'd like to think that this somber moment gave a connection to our unique experiment in liberty for many people to those that fought and died for the ability to call ourselves Americans.  The mere fact that we are able to assemble peacefully, and fire a volley of lead without asking permission is one amazing right that a vast majority of people in the world can not experience today.  Less than 5% of the world's population enjoy this right, and after spending last weekend on the firing line in the baking sun with a class mate of mine from China (who is now a US Army Reservist) - to not utilize our unique rights we have today, or much worse take then for granted and NOT remember those that fought for us less than 300 years ago is, in my opinion, a crying shame.  That volley really did move me.

Wow I am with you!
We have never met, however DwayneH from S.C. said it best when he just showed up one early Saturday morning at one of my shoots and said "At Appleseeds you may not know anybody, however we are not strangers"
This is so true.

Events like this touch my soul and are Very, very powerful

Thank you for putting into words some of the feelings I KNOW many feel

WELL DONE
  :)

No Guns, No safety, No freedom
KNOW Guns, KNOW Safety, KNOW FREEDOM

Faitmaker

I had a great time at the event.  As a first time shooter at the Appleseed, I want to tell you that everything was great, other than the freaking cold.

My friend who came with, Seth, and I have both promised MS and Posterboy that we would be at Gibsonburg in Sept and probably at least one in Miamisburg in the summer.  I want my patch, now that I've shot the long range (and hit!).

Seth is already interested in becoming an an instructor and hasn't even shot, he was so impressed with what your message was and how you went about presenting it.  I do not know if my path lays down that road as yet, but I have not discounted that option.  You are all a great bunch of people and it is an honor to know you.  Huzzah.

As soon as my fingers work well enough, I will be posting my experience more fully on my blog, http://www.angelsfeartotread.com.

Boba Fett

Looks like a fabulous facility. WOW!  :o They sure don't make them like that in IL.
Somebody please tell me Posterboy did his NPOA dance for everyone.   ..:.. **)

BF

MeanStreaker

Quote from: Boba Fett on April 19, 2010, 07:40:02 PM
Somebody please tell me Posterboy did his NPOA dance for everyone.   ..:.. **)

Hehe, is there any doubt? 

And yeah, this range is pretty much the picture perfect facility for Appleseed.  We can fit 40 people (and did) on the main line that goes out to 300 yards.  The 600 yard range is a very short walk away, indoor heated clubhouse with restrooms, very nice building with full kitchen which sold us lunch each day, free camping, firewood, all club members that came over were incredibly nice and generous.

Basically a perfect location.

And membership is only $100/year.
--Thomas Paine

jobu72

Quote from: MeanStreaker on April 19, 2010, 03:43:51 PM
Great report, Jeep.  It was a pleasure having you behind the line.

I had to go and steal a picture off a report one of our newest Riflemen posted on Ohioans For Concealed Carry's forums because it brings a smile to my face. :)

"So, you guys shoot at 25 meters?  What does that do for ya?"

Answer: This at 500 yards.

Hopefully others got pictures of the rest of the beautiful distance range at New Phila with the steel and D targets we had going.

Hmm, those shots look familiar ...  ^-^   I believe Cozza has a picture of the owner posing with those shots that I'll see about posting if he doesn't. 

It is amazing that with the right instruction and applying some simple techniques allows a shooter to hit something that far away (with iron sights mind you). 

This was my first Appleseed and am happy to say that I'll certainly attend another.  I didn't want to miss one minute of anything that was being instructed or of the history that was being recounted.  The range truly was awesome.  Definitely a model of what any other range could be like if space and backstop was no issue. 

Cozza

One of the new orange hats here...

Jeep summed it up very nicely!  Seeing everyone out there on the line as we shot AQTs and the improvement everyone was making was simply awesome!  It was great to be able to shoot at the 500 yard range as well! (Not sure how we fit 12 people in my truck though!)

Quote from: jeep45238 on April 19, 2010, 03:23:33 PM
The nationwide volley held at 4PM EST was extremely moving for me - almost a spiritual event.  I'd like to think that this somber moment gave a connection to our unique experiment in liberty for many people to those that fought and died for the ability to call ourselves Americans.  The mere fact that we are able to assemble peacefully, and fire a volley of lead without asking permission is one amazing right that a vast majority of people in the world can not experience today.  Less than 5% of the world's population enjoy this right, and after spending last weekend on the firing line in the baking sun with a class mate of mine from China (who is now a US Army Reservist) - to not utilize our unique rights we have today, or much worse take then for granted and NOT remember those that fought for us less than 300 years ago is, in my opinion, a crying shame.  That volley really did move me.

Until moving to the USA five years ago, I hadn't had the opportunity to experience this level of freedom (and it took a couple years of living here), as I was born and raised in Canada.  I remember being a very excited 10 year old because I was going to be the proud owner of a pellet rifle.  I can still remember that day, 11 years ago, in the Canadian Tire (think K-mart), when they took the pellet rifle out of the locked cabinet and recorded my father's drivers license number and information with the serial number.  That summer I shot many pellets into a tree stump!

But now, living here and being able to freely own as many "high capacity" magazines for my pistols and rifles (even able to freely own pistols and rifles) and to not require a permit to transport those firearms from my house to the range is true freedom, along with all the other things this great country has to offer.  To be able to wear this orange hat and for me to be able to pass these skills and the history behind them to others are an honor.  This program has showed me what I can do and what I need to do in the future.

And now for some pictures!

500 yards?  Yeah, it's out there.  The paper silhouettes are at 250m and the 500 yard steel targets are specs on the bottom left and 2nd from right yellow squares!

Results!!

It feels good!

New Riflemen and Riflewoman

Huge thanks to everyone who came out, Tusco Rifle Club, and the fine team of instructors! (If you see pictures that you want full size, PM or email me!)

Corey

HUZZAH!

Faitmaker

Corey, Can I use these pictures on my blog?  Especially the one with me shooting?

Cozza

Quote from: Faitmaker on April 19, 2010, 11:20:50 PM
Corey, Can I use these pictures on my blog?  Especially the one with me shooting?
By all means! Thanks for asking

velcro8ball

This was my first shoot as an orange hat and a real eye opener.  "Flicking the switch" between instructor and LSO or RSO was difficult to say the least but, the satisfaction of making a suggestion and seeing the improvement on the next target was great.  I hope that I'll be better able to make that switch in upcoming Appleseeds. 

The facilities were great and the club members I talked to seemed very excited to have our program there.  I hope our first impression was a good one.  They made us feel welcome and had many good questions about the program and how it got started.  Maybe "Fred the Helpful" could point me to some of his writings that would help me explain that. 

The shooters seemed eager to learn and took to the training as hungry hungry men. We had many on the cusp of a Rifleman score and they looked forward to returning to try again.  Congratulations to those that earned the Rifleman's Patch and the two new Orange hats. 

The Red hats were supportive and available for the questions of a first timer and a credit to the way that the program promotes its own. Fuzzy, Posterboy, Meanstreaker thankyou very much for the help and training. To those that I managed to forget to mention, to many names too little time, I also enjoyed working with you and look forward to the next shoot together.

Now, can somebody please tell me how the Mosin did on the 500 yard range.....

Thanks again, Velcro8ball

Hoover

... and, yet more pictures ...

Faitmaker

Some of you have already read it, but I blogged my experience at Appleseed and would be honored if you gave it a read. 

http://wp.me/pQSH5-gV

Ratchett

Faitmaker,

Read your blog, very nice write up and glad you enjoyed the weekend. I know I am a little prejudice being from Ohio and all but, I think we have the best instructor corp around. Nothing beats PB's NPOA dance though, I keep thinking it is going to appear on U-tube any time now---There is just toooo many of us that know about it, it is bound to get out :D

Happy 'seeding to you and your friends!

Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

5knots

I have enjoyed all the pictures...thanks to all for posting them.  I am still thinking about the great experience.  I have some commitments this weekend, but I think my son is going to head up to CMP and do a little M1 shopping for us.  Can't wait to fill another clip of ammo!

Tube Sniper

I'm sure I can add much to what has already been said but I just finished looking @ all the postings/photos and I must say it was a fantastic weekend.  The crew that came from Orrville talked about the shoot all the way home, ready for another weekend!!  The instruction was first class, the recounting of the events of April 19, 1775 made me swell with pride and the attention given to the participants was inspiring!!!  Thank you MS and crew...
  I was very honored to be offered an orange  hat and I accepted it with the hope that I'll be able to add as much to the program as the great folks that have been @ the two events I've attended.
I'm looking forward to helping promote Appleseed... it is a great endeavor!! HUZZAH HUZZAH

posterboy

You know this program keeps blowing my expectations away.

This was an incredible way to start off the season in Ohio.

Tusco....beautiful....a rifleman's heaven ...shangri-la of ranges

40 or so hearty Americans with a Hunger to learn and share even though it was cold.

It is YOU who make this program just as it is WE the People make this country.

Congrats to all of our riflemen/ women and special thanks to cozza and Tubesniper for taking up the orange hats....we are very fortunate indeed.

The improvement among all who didn't hit the score was amazing and I know they will soon earn the patch like... Kaz, Patrick, Bas, Handle bar mike, Will, David and even young Matthew and Nate. It's been a busy week so this one will have to be short and I hope to see you all on the trail soon.....and please come to G'Burg !

ps as a red hat I call dibs on camping in Tubesniper's mobile Hilton LOL

Quote of the weekend goes to Fuzzy however who said after the nation wide volley "you should be proud !.....you were part of a honor guard"

made my eyes water.......

PB

SnakeEyes

My first Appleseed greatly exceeded my expectations, and was easily the best firearms related $70 I've ever spent.  I had a great time, met a lot of nice people, and improved my shooting a lot.  I'm definately going to attend again. Thanks to all the instructors for their help and encouragement.

Greg

Lever-Action

That shoot was awesome, i learned so much from this. Learning to shoot all of that freehand was the best shooting information I have come by. Thanks to everybody who put on this event. And keep the pictures coming, im really glad that someone posted me receiving my rifleman patch, I wanted that picture! O0
Aim small, miss small.

jeep45238

Quote from: Lever-Action on April 23, 2010, 07:32:52 AM
That shoot was awesome, i learned so much from this. Learning to shoot all of that freehand was the best shooting information I have come by. Thanks to everybody who put on this event. And keep the pictures coming, im really glad that someone posted me receiving my rifleman patch, I wanted that picture! O0

See you at the next shoot Paul  :cool2:
USAF A1C ~ Never settle for the ordinary.

Rights cease to exist when restrictions are put on them.

MeanStreaker

Good to see you Paul!

For those that don't know, Paul made Rifleman........... with a lever action tube feed!
--Thomas Paine

therealsteamer

Quote from: MeanStreaker on April 23, 2010, 10:58:24 AM
Good to see you Paul!

For those that don't know, Paul made Rifleman........... with a lever action tube feed!

Way to go Paul!!!!!!

GoldFish

QuoteGood to see you Paul!

Amazing!  :bow:  My brother made Rifleman with a bolt action, and that was tough.  A lever action is even harder ^-^, so you REALLY deserved that patch, Paul!  O0
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Ratchett

Chuck Connors got nothing on him!! ..:.. ^:)^

Way to go Paul!! Hope I get to see you on the line sometime---will definitely be a sight to behold.

In His Grip,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

Slarti

Panama,

Just want to say thank you for your kindness to my son at the shoot, we had a GREAT time!

And to all the other instructors, again, thank you to you and your families as well ,who gave up their husbands and fathers to go spend a weekend spent with strangers.  It was an amazingly fun and prosperous weekend.

BTW, I came home and cut 3 inches off of Matthew's rifle... be warned, next time he'll be dangerous!!!  :---

Regards
Del
-- Slarti
OHR93

Ratchett

WOW!!

If that letter doesn' t make you wanna get off the couch and get involved there is no help for ya! 

JOB WELL DONE PANAMA  O0

Ratchett