News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Miamisburg, Ohio April 17th and 18th

Started by Luna, April 19, 2010, 08:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

WOW, what a great event.  I will provide more details later, I wanted to get a posting up this morning.  The weekend was filled with emotion and passion.  5 Rifleman were forged in Miamisburg on this historic weekend.  2 were a grandfather and his grandson, another a father who's 8 year old daughter earned her Young Patriot patch.  We added a new Orange hat to the Ohio team, Steamer. It was my honor to present him his hat with his daughter present. 

The National Volley was both emotional and incredibly inspirational.  I struggled to contain my emotions reading a paragraph from the BBB poster.  Hearing the volley at Miamisburg, reading the names of those who sacrificed their lives 235 years ago, and knowing that thousands of Americans were celebrating their liberties at AS events around the country was very powerful.

More details and pictures to follow.  Thank you to all the students who attended.  It was an honor and pleasure to meet you this weekend.

Luna
(Dan)

Luna

A few more details:

We had 14 shooters muster Saturday.  Ages from 8 to...he won't say...Granddad Steve, his 2nd event

Congratulations to 5 new Rifleman in Ohio
Austin age 14 who attended with his grandfather
Steve the grandfather, who's score was tallied just as the DOM presentation was completed.  Then we awarded this DOM his patch
Blair, who with a score of 210 was happy to get wet
Steamer who's 8yo daughter presented him his patch.
Nathan who shot a solid 221 after continued improvement throughout the weekend

We awarded the challenge coin to the high score AQT on Sunday.  We had no idea it would come down to a difference of 1 point, 229 to 228, and that it would come down to either Granddad or Grandson.  Austin, age 14, proudly stood with his grandfather and accepted the coin.  A young patriot and a DOM.  It framed the weekend very well.

Steamer attained his Rifleman patch and then asked to be an Orange Hat IIT.  It was my honor, my first opportunity as a SB, to present this Patriot  his Orange Hat.  Congratulations and welcome.

We preceded the National Volley with the history of the first strike.  It was then my pleasure to read a paragraph from the BBB just before the volley.  We stood on the line for a minute, looked left and right to see the fellow patriots who had mustered that day, looked ahead at the redcoat targets and imagined what is must have been like that day 235 years ago.  Then we preped, honored each name of those who sacrificed, aimed and fired.....strong stuff....

Trekker did an awesome DOM history.    Thank you Trekker, Minerva and Too Tall for all your help, outstanding job.  You made my first experience as a SB successful and memorable. 

Picutres to follow...

dademoss

Dan,

I wanted to say hello, and to thank you for the opportunity to briefly watch the instruction Saturday morning in Miamisburg.

I had fun, and I really look forward to May when my wife Lori and I will be attending.

Below is a link to a the few photo's I took:

http://dademoss.smugmug.com/Other/April-Appleseed-Miamisburg/11896475_wT88G#841945300_wSZFE

Thanks again for your hospitality,

Dave
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
- G. K. Chesterton

Boba Fett

Congrat's Luna on your first "solo flight". Wish I could have been there brother!

BF

therealsteamer

A few pics....

therealsteamer

Yet more....

therealsteamer

And...

therealsteamer

probably not the last.....

Shrek

Luna, Have to give a big thank you to you, Trekker, Minerva, and Too Tall.  It was a very humbling and emotional weekend.  You're not the only one to struggle with the emotions this weekend.  During Lexington and you were talking of standing shoulder to shoulder with your father, I envisioned my Dad (now passed) and my three younger brothers, and wondering; had we been there...which among us five would have walked away with the terrible task of burying the ones who hadn't.
A special thanks to Minerva.  I arrived in Miamisburg with my hat fitting WAYYYYY too snug since my making rifleman at my first event and I'm sad to say I think it showed..  Then Minerva spent all of Saturday and most of Sunday trying to get my head back to the right size.  Late Sunday afternoon things started clicking and thanks to Minerva's patience I was able to leave the event with a proper sized head and the knowledge that I have a good distance yet to go, and that I'll definitely get there.
Find your NPOA you will, or you will not.  There is no try.  Fuzzy (Yoda) Math  Miamisburg 2009

Luna

Shrek,

It was great to see you guys again.  I can't wait to come up to Lima and meet the rest of your crew.  I am also looking forward to seeing an Orange hat on you someday soon.  We need more Patriots like you in the program.

Steamer nice pictures.  I really enjoyed seeing Grandpa Steve and grandson Austin sharing the moment when Austin won the challenge coin for high score, beating Grandpa by 1 point.   I was also touched seeing Belle with you accepting the Rifleman patch.  She is a special girl and you deserve a lot of credit for getting her interested in shooting.  She truly earned her Young Patriot patch this weekend.  She was smiling all weekend.

KED

This was my first Appleseed event and I have to say I was quite impressed. Ten years in the Army and I never had as good marksmanship training as I did in 2 days at Appleseed! I know I saw a huge improvement in my own marksmanship skills, and who knew the sling could be used for more then just carrying my rifle!
The instructors were excellent, especially Luna who was professional yet clearly passionate about what he does. The historical perspective he and Trekker gave were inspiring.
Hats off to all involved.

KED
aka Nathan

Luna

KED  ( Nathan)

Thank you for coming out.  I hope we have an opportunity to see you again on the trail real soon.  Congrats on hitting the score and earning your patch.   I happen to have an Orange hat just your size if you ever feel the urge.  We could really use your experience and passion.  See you soon....I hope..

therealsteamer

This was an incredible weekend for both my daughter and myself... 

A big thanks to the Miamisburg Sportsmen's Club for hosting us this weekend...  Luna, Trekker, Minerva and TooTall made this a great weekend for all... 

I know the three of us from Kenton had a memorable time.  Shrek was able to prove to himself that his previous 211 was NOT a fluke and by Sunday afternoon he had a 212 to post... "Told ya..."  Making rifleman for me was very self affirming.  Taking the Orange Hat was an honor not to be taken lightly.  To be asked by Luna to help present my daughter with her Luther Blanchard Young Patriot Patch was stirringly emotional. (among the other emotional events of the weekend)...

BUT... 

To lay beside her while she shot her 795...watch her jam in a mag and give it a rock to ensure it was locked in (lesson learned)....slap the bolt release with her thumb.... Hunker down behind her scope, take that BIG deep breath and RELAX...   ....THIS was phenomenal!!!!!  My little big girl exceeded my expectations on several fronts and I am sooo proud of her for this weekend.  She plowed through the training, soaked up the history (as much as an 8 year old gal can) and still had the drive to run down range to check her final Red Coat...

As part of the National Honor Volley we shot in teams at a few insolent Red Coat Targets. The team that did the best was to be awarded personal copies of the BBB poster.  Even though our team did not "win" per say, I would like to thank the couple that thought enough of Belle to give her their copy of the BBB poster...   THANK YOU!!!! She has already asked to have it framed....

As we drove home she could not stop talking about what a great time she had....  She fell asleep mid sentence and slept with a lil' grin the entire way home...  To top it off when we arrived home she immediately began telling her 3 year old sister all about her weekend....in overwhelming kid detail...

Luna, Thanks for running such a successful event...  I hope to see you and the rest of the staff at other upcoming Appleseed events!!!!

MeanStreaker

Now that is heartwarming.

Thanks Steamer.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Mogget

Hm.  That straw looks familiar!  Also, nice pictures.  We'll be back to take a few of them for future use, so thanks for taking them.

Mogs

Luna

Steamer, great pics.  Belle is a very special young girl.  She hung in there all weekend.  Not sure if people looked closely at the Red Coat Target she is carrying in one of the pics below, look at the groups on that target...she maintained that smile all weekend.  A real trooper, you should be very proud of her.

Moggett looking  forward to seeing you again in the straw...did that come out right.....