News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Duluth Famous -- Duluth, MN April 17-18, 2010

Started by BrassBucket, April 18, 2010, 11:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrassBucket

What an amazing weekend for an Appleseed (or 107 of them). I hope everyone had a fantastic time, learned an immense amount, and will be back for another run soon. Thank you to our fantastic hosts, United Northern Sportsmen, for letting us use the facility and for calling out Channel 10 News to report on the event. Now everyone can say they are Duluth famous!

We had 21 shooters, from age 8 to ... 75(?), women, veterans, people with arthritis in their hips and knees and one with a broken ankle. I hope you all will leave this weekend knowing you've made lifelong friends and compatriots. We worked hard, laughed, cajouled, ate heart-stopping fudge, and even sang a little! Thank you to Aftermath for teaching us the history that makes us Americans.

I hope to see each and every one of you again soon - and until I do - dry fire!!

Alice
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

- Col. Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Old Glory!

Hellooooo MN!  Good lookin' group! 

Aftermath, glad to see you surrounded by some Orange Hats.  Good to see those special red AQT's and the "wish you were here" sign.  Wish I could have been there too. 

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

BrassBucket

Duluth Appleseed Teaser on WDIO. Near the top of the page is a weather video - above it are a series of tabs, click Sports and then hit play.

http://www.wdio.com/?articleID=4473

The full segment is on Wednesday!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

adamt

All I can say is WOW!!!

This was my first Appleseed and it was way better then I expected. I had high hopes leading up to the event and I can truly say I was blown away (not literally.)

I want to again say thanks to all the volunteers as it isn't possible without them. I learned more about shooting and history in 2 days then I have in all my years on the range. I am already checking into my next event. I am more determined then ever to hit the 210 mark.

Again I want to say thanks to
Aftermath
javaguy
brassbucket
ar-15

You guys (and gal) have truly inspired me to do better.

Until the next time

AdamT
"If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

--  Abraham Lincoln

russellmn

Quote from: BrassBucket on April 18, 2010, 11:30:08 PM
...women, veterans, people with arthritis in their hips and knees and one with a broken ankle...

Don't forget one person (sorry, I forgot your name) with MS!!! 
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

dragonfly

Great job Guy's, can't wait to get to another fine MN Appleseed O0 :bow:

D-fly Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

javaguy

Indeed it was a beautiful setting and just a great weekend for an Appleseed this past weekend at the United Northern Sportsmen's Club near Duluth. 
(http://www.unitednorthernsportsmen.org)

A wonderful range and perfect weather came together as I've never seen before. 

Aftermath did an excellent job as shoot boss!  IITs were: Brassbucket, Javaguy, and AR=15

One of the shooters - a real family man - brought all four of his children!

The ages ranged from 11yrs to 73 yrs old.  Experience levels ranged from military vets - one of whom had already scored Rifleman at a previous AS and was just brushing up - to younger ones who had barely touched a rifle before.

Saturday morning we welcomed the folks as they arrived, handing out the necessary paperwork, liability form, and doing the normal parking lot patrol.  Brassbucket handled a flood of admin and check-in responsibilities at the club house and got everyone checked-in, verified, and confirmed in excellent fashion.  Kevin, the president of the club was there to open up for us and even got the coffee brewing.  One of the other gentlemen from the club graciously welcomed us and gave a brief introduction to their facility.

Aftermath delivered the official welcome and initial orientation, and we continued by presenting the 4 Safety Rules, rehearsed them, and re-rehearsed, and also covered what makes a Safe Rifle.  (Michael and Ryan subsequently developed a version of the 'Safe Rifle' elements as sung to the 'Barney' song, I Love You, You Love Me.  I will leave it at that   )

We then transitioned everyone toward the equipment line from the parking area with their gear.  Everything went smoothly and safely.

The group shot their first Redcoat target by around 10am, and then the instruction got underway.  The group was very attentive - even the younger ones - and gathered close around to observe.

After several squares and working on NPOA and IMC, helping shooters with equipment issues, we delivered the volley, after which we had more instruction to cover including transitions from standing to sitting and standing to prone.  We only had time for one official 'red' QDAQT on Saturday.  High scores were in the 170's.

Everyone got their 'raffle' ticket and we held the drawing Saturday afternoon as well.  Adam received a copy of Paul Revere's ride, Ryan received the Challenge Coin, Hal won  a handy stapler with plenty of 'staple' ammo, Scott won a free AS coupon. Others won collections of targets and fresh-baked cookies as well.

People had a really great attitude, and several worked hard to overcome physical problems (one shooter had a cast on her broken ankle, others had back pain, knee pain, etc).  I am really proud to have been able to work with these wonderful people.

As the weekend progressed, groups and scores improved, and we had some folks pushing 200 with very good groups.  No Riflemen were produced this weekend, but everyone improved markedly, with several scores moving from 60's and 70's into the 160's and 170's.

On Sunday we pulled off our version of Captain Parker's revenge.   Once the shooters realized the dire urgency of the situation - the fact that redcoats had been spotted on the target line - they quickly got situated and took care of those redcoats in fine fashion.

Also on Sunday, the local television station, WDIO tv in duluth (www.wdio.com) came to get the story!  Sarah Frakes, the sports anchor, interviewed Brassbucket, Michael and his cousin Ryan - two of the younger AS participants, and spoke with other shooters as well to get their perspective.  They took a lot of footage, including a powerful monologue by Aftermath as he addressed the group and spoke of liberty and heritage.  The Appleseed segment will air Wednesday night I believe during the 10pm news!

A lot of pics and some video is up on Facebook - friend me if interested.

I think we're going to see a lot of the shooters back again at an upcoming AS.  I am looking forward to it.  I am also looking forward to Brassbucket's heavenly fudge!  (recipe please!)  ^-^

AFTERMATH

That fudge alone would be worth the time/money. ;)
I believe it will become an Appleseed staple!

When will tonights story be up?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

AFTERMATH

It's up!

Do I really sound/look like that? :o

Just click the 'Up North' tab in the video player on the home page http://www.wdio.com
You'll see it on the side!

I'm still churning the last weekend in my mind.  Official Aftermath Action Report to follow!

TheEditor

Just watched the news report. 

What a great piece!  You guys (and gals and young people) looked good and sounded good. 

A credit to the Project and the Founders. 

Huzzah!

TE
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

LayloPro

Guys,

You did awesome!! That was a very nice piece on TV...... O0 :bow: O0

Non biased reporting for a change....WOW!!

And yep, we all sound different in front of the camera...... :-[ ::)

Great job, all!!

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

BrassBucket

russellmn

Quote from: LayloPro on April 22, 2010, 03:28:33 AM
Guys,

You did awesome!! That was a very nice piece on TV...... O0 :bow: O0

Non biased reporting for a change....WOW!!

And yep, we all sound different in front of the camera...... :-[ ::)

Great job, all!!

LLP

Sarah Frakes is a member of the range we were using, she's a shooter herself and will likely be attending the Hinkley Women's shoot next month!  

I just want to thank all the IIT's and of course Alex for doing a great job this weekend!  It was my brother's (THREE) first appleseed, he's already planning to buy his own 10/22 and get it set up.  He's also already committed to joining me at the RBC in ND this July.
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us