News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Elk River April 18 2010 AS

Started by sparks1, April 18, 2010, 09:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks1

Can't help myself...here's my nephew Zachery getting his Rifleman badge. Going on 13, and has mild ADD. BUT, this weekend he followed his instructors guidance and put the steps together. Saw his scores climb as he added one step after another to his building a riflemans shooting platform. Thanks to ALL the patient instructors that helped ALL shooters gain knowledge about firing the shot. Job well done!

Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

AFTERMATH

Perhaps that Purple Patch was just the right motivation! ;)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Sven

Here are some more photos from Saturday and Sunday.  Hope it works out this is my first time posting pictures.

Sven
"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

DeanC

A couple pictures in this thread.

All 138 very high quality pictures here.

AFTERMATH

A fine job my friends!
Say, may I burdon you with the name of the other Rifleman; for history's sake?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

colycat

What a great weekend to be an American!  Great sunny weather, really nice group of student shooters, the honor of remembering and sharing our heritage.
I would like to thank Whisker and his MN instructor crew for making this boarder raider feel at home.  Although we had only 2 riflemen for the weekend, everyone looked and now act like riflemen by Sunday. 
The stories of the 19th were really well done by Whisker and Sven and were well received.  I think everyone got the message and the point of why we tell the story.
I believe John shot a 234 on his first and only QDAQT. Nice shooting :~
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

javaguy

Quote from: DeanC on April 19, 2010, 09:19:45 PM
A couple pictures in this thread.

All 138 very high quality pictures here.

These photos are superb!   Thank you for posting.  Is there a special 'hat' for the designated Appleseed Photographer ? ;)

JPaganel

Even though I didn't qualify and many places hurt, I had a hell of a good time.

Instructors, thank you very much.  And a special thanks to DeanC for loaning me stuff. :)

DeanC

Posting pictures by request of Coly.

Probably the best one:

Others:

DeanC

And one more of yours truly who was silly enough to bring a brand new rifle to his 2nd AS.  :wb:

Oh well, just trying to validate the 3AS to Rifleman average.

AFTERMATH

Quote from: DeanC on April 21, 2010, 01:59:18 PM
And one more of yours truly who was silly enough to bring a brand new rifle to his 2nd AS.  :wb:

Oh well, just trying to validate the 3AS to Rifleman average.

Are you coming to Oakdale, May 8-9?

colycat

I did not say post pictures of me, Ohh Boy, I am really starting to look like a guy who would only be chosen for the commitee of observation :'(  I thought I was a lot younger than that.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

sparks1

Colycat.....The "best one" makes me think of maybe Parker giving the fire command at the site of the revenge.

Sparks1...NOT just another pretty face. ^:)^
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

ShootingSpeedPhoto

We had a great time there!  I'll definitely be doing more photography when I can get to them.  Feel free to use any of my  Appleseed photos for your promotional materials or website.  There should be watermark-free high-res versions available for download, but if not, let me know and I'll fix that.

My wife and cousin are looking forward to the women-only Appleseed in Hinckley

(My cousin with her single-shot Savage Cub customized with magazine well)

AFTERMATH

Quote from: ShootingSpeedPhoto on April 21, 2010, 10:57:32 PM

We had a great time there!  I'll definitely be doing more photography when I can get to them.  Feel free to use any of my  Appleseed photos for your promotional materials or website.  There should be watermark-free high-res versions available for download, but if not, let me know and I'll fix that.

My wife and cousin are looking forward to the women-only Appleseed in Hinckley

(My cousin with her single-shot Savage Cub customized with magazine well)

Excellent!!!
Thank you!

colycat

As someone who has to read all the AAR's, (moderator, you know) I would have to say this AAR has the best photos of any AAR I have ever seen.  And I dont mean because I am in some of them ::)

Mogget

Colycat does have that je ne sais quoi but there are other very good photos as well.  We will be back to harvest some of them for future use.  And, since I'm the shoot boss for the women's shoot in May, I'm also looking forward to meeting your womenfolk.

Mogs

ShootingSpeedPhoto

Quote from: Mogget on April 22, 2010, 08:57:18 PM
Colycat does have that je ne sais quoi but there are other very good photos as well.  We will be back to harvest some of them for future use.  And, since I'm the shoot boss for the women's shoot in May, I'm also looking forward to meeting your womenfolk.

Mogs

Sounds good. Here's the complete gallery for reference.

DeanC

Quote from: AFTERMATH on April 21, 2010, 07:53:53 PMAre you coming to Oakdale, May 8-9?
If I come it would probably be only for Sunday, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

I need to shake out my guns a little more.

Deacon

colycat

Quote from: Deacon on April 23, 2010, 06:58:34 PM
Colycat does have that je ne sais quoi
Mogs

Easy for you to say!

Yea, I had to ask my Dad (89yrs old) what she meant,  He had Catholic schooling. But so did I, but by then we were into new math :wb:

colycat

Hello, Whiskers !@#)  We still need your report, as I am not able to do it.  Plus I don't want to do it. You were the MAN in charge after all. :)

Colycat

Qlaras

Quote from: colycat on April 25, 2010, 02:55:36 AM
Mogs

Easy for you to say!

Yea, I had to ask my Dad (89yrs old) what she meant,  He had Catholic schooling. But so did I, but by then we were into new math :wb:

I just highlighted the text, right-click on it and said "search with Google" - discovered what it meant :-D

Also those slings I ordered Sunday night (after the second day) came in yesterday, they're fitting great - thanks again for having that one on the training stock I could use for Sunday!  Made all the difference versus that cheap nylon one.

northstar

Mogs

Easy for you to say!

Wow... "new math" ?  You guys didn't use those fancy things called "slide rules" did you? 

I really shouldn't try and poke fun at anyone older than me, you guys can at least manage percentages without the use of a cell phone.  If calculators ever fail I'll be screwed trying to order food... "Sales tax?  7.75%?  I can't figure 7.75%!  Here, just take 10%, that's easier..."  #)

Alas, to work out the cost I'd have to request assistance from my own French-speaking Catholic-educated Father (also 89 yrs old... no wait...)  :)

Whisker

What to say?

Thanks for coming everyone.  I forget sometimes how challenging it can be to be on that firing line for 16 hours, struggling to get rounds off while adjusting slings, finding NPOA, making sure you got the right target, trying to remember how many rounds go where, what magazine has what in it, forgetting the elbow, forgetting to breathe, ect ect ect ect ect.  That is hard stuff, especially for first time appleseeders!

Folks were tired, sunburned and brassburned by the end of Sunday.  Good. 

I've realized that part of the Appleseed experience is to get physically beaten down and overwhelmed by the stories and knowledge.  This kind of stuff doesn't happen in everyday life.  Those who become exhausted yet overcome by what goes on at an Appleseed realize the real power of Appleseed... it's a life changing experience.  Even if we don't know it.  Don't mistake exhaustion for failure.  It is probably the opposite. 

Minneapolis needs more riflemen... See you all again!
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

techres

Coly is one heck of a trainer and you all look like you had a great time!  Good for you all.

Techres

P.S. And those are some of the best pictures I have seen in any AAR.  Hat's off to the photographer.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Sven

Quote from: northstar on April 26, 2010, 11:00:59 AM
Mogs

Easy for you to say!

Wow... "new math" ?  You guys didn't use those fancy things called "slide rules" did you? 

I really shouldn't try and poke fun at anyone older than me, you guys can at least manage percentages without the use of a cell phone.  If calculators ever fail I'll be screwed trying to order food... "Sales tax?  7.75%?  I can't figure 7.75%!  Here, just take 10%, that's easier..."  #)

Alas, to work out the cost I'd have to request assistance from my own French-speaking Catholic-educated Father (also 89 yrs old... no wait...)  :)

89!?  You need more than a cell phone.  No soup for you! >:(
"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

colycat

You really hit the nail on the head Whisker.  What a weekend.  And really, what did everyone else do that compares.  I think all the shooters understand this, I could not believe my first couple, three, as a participant.  It really hasn't changed.  Wow what a weekend O0

Johnnyappleseed

Nice shoot Whiskers O0
Sven, I had the good fortune to read and copy the quotes you used . TY Sir
BTW Kyle you did a good job of hiding your blond locks under your redhat  :cool2:
The pic's were fun + Coly sure has a professional demeanor  8)
Freedom is advancing due to all your  efforts ^5
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge