News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Why Action Field Shooting?

Started by wildman, November 18, 2007, 11:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

This is an Appleseed web site. What goes on here is all about the Appleseed program. Why then do we have this special area called, "Home Range Events," promoting pop-up or field action shooting?

I'll try to explain it to you as best I can. First the Appleseed program is designed to introduce basic skills to the not ready for prime time shooter who aspires to be a rifleman. These basic skills are well know to many of you. The six steps to firing the shot, correct positions, NPOA, windage calulations to name a few.  The Appleseed is a great way for the would be shooter to get started on the right foot. The folks who had the vision and the energy to put the Appleseed together hoped that Appleseed would be the first step in the development of a competent field shooter. Appleseed is the begining not the end of this process.

In order to become the fully developed rifleman one must learn to shoot at actual range under real field conditions. Real world shooting requires the shooter to be able to engage targets with wind, varying light conditions, and at different ranges. The rifleman should be able to set a battlesight zero and hit his target anywhere from 100 yds to 400 yds without a sight change. 

The action shoots have value in that they allow the rifleman to continue their development so they can reach higher state of ability. I wish it were possible have ranges like the Ramseur range in every state perhaps maybe one day. Until that blessed day Ramseur is it. It is my hope that all that can read this post will find a way to come to the "mountain" as often as possible. In the past we've have folks drive from Missouri, New York and even fly in from California. 

Thank you
wildman
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

Old Dog

Let me be the first to put a big "you better believe it!" to Wildman's post.  I'm more fortunate that a lot of the folks reading this thread.  I only live about 4 hours drive from Ramseur.  I've been down there several times over the last year and the trip is worth it.  But don't drive it alone.  Take some friends and family along (carpool - split the costs of the trip). 

A great day spent improving your rifle marksmanship skills at a great range while meeting and shooting with a great group of people.  You won't regret it and I'll bet you'll come back for more.  I do.

Maybe I'll see you there some day.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Fred

Nothing beats pop-up targets out to 500 yards! Why, some of them are even easy to see! ;D

And when you combine moving with shooting, it's a whole new experience. Not only getting up from the bench, but actually moving downrange, nailing targets as you go? SHAZ-ZAM!

Only thing better is when you are squadded with a team, and the team takes on the range!!

Ya-hooo! [A little Texas lingo, there... ;D]
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Fred

Yes, whether you are an Appleseeder or not, you can benefit from both the challenge and the learning of an RWVA pop-up shoot. Not to mention that it's not often you get to shoot targets up to 500 yards away (you start out on the ones close up, so you can get zeroes as you move out to the more distant targets).

The 2008 schedule is on this board, at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1305.0

Next up is the Sept 20th RWVA US Army WW2 Sniper School - the only one on the planet, the only one in the country. Lifted right out of the pages of the original 1944 US Army field manual, and as close to the original course as you can get.

Some participants get in the spirit of things, and arrive in authentic uniforms and gear.

Others come with modern rifles and scopes, to learn to shoot long-range.

Both are welcome for this event.

We start out with some basic review of marksmanship, some refresher firing and zeroing so that when you go up on the long-range, you'll be ready to knock the targets down.

Altho the original US Army WW2 sniping course went out only to 400 yards, it's surprisingly a good challenge for the modern rifleman.

Don't miss it. You won't find it anywhere else. And it only comes once a year...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Old Dog

I think these are great for your children, if they can handle that centerfire rifle you bought them.  Shooting paper is okay, lot's of us do it (some).  However, if you really want to get your children excited about shooting that centerfire rifle the pop ups are the hot ticket!  That's what they get excited about, that's what they remember!  Get'em excited about shooting and hopefully they'll stick with it.

We had 3 youngsters under 14 years of age at the recent Ramseur RBC.  They'll probably remember the RBC (hot, dusty, long days, rifles to clean each night, etc.)  But what they'll really remember is going to the pop up range on Wednesday night and knocking down pop ups all the way out to 400 yds. with those centerfire rifles.  They weren't shooting off a bench or a bipod - they were using the sling supported prone position and wearing out those pops ups, and some were tough shots - just head and shoulders showing.  That memory, the fun, the excitement, the congratulations from the adults and the look in their dad's eyes is what will stick with them and hopefully keep'em coming back.

You won't know how much fun you missed if you pass it up.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

crak

Shhhhh... when people find out about these, they'll stop wanting to shoot paper.   ;D

(Veteran of United Nations Day 2006 Battle for Ramseur)
Check your drama at the door.

wildman

Its great to have "Old Fred" chime in. This valuable program is often under attended. There is certainly room for more shooters. This past year we have tried to focus on getting ready for the fall events ie the WW2 Sniper School September 20 and the KWSS in December. The WW2 event, as are all pop-up events, is open to both scoped and un-scoped rifles however we try to encourage un-scoped rifles for the WW2 event;better bragging rights.The max range at the WW2SS is 400 and although tough its doable with iron sights. A scoped rifle is almost a requirement if one wants to qualify at the KKWS. The small target at 500 is a real challenge for iron sights.

Our objective is to train riflemen and women. I don't know about anyone else but I believe this type training is as good as it gets. When shooting black dots the shooter gets his NPOA and shoots what ever number of rounds at one target. In field shooting the shooter must constantly adjust the NPOA with each shot. It is also great for learning to shoot the BSZ. The bonus is its one heck of a lot of fun.

This past year in order to help with cost anyone that attended three paid shoots gets to shoot the KWSS free. We will most likely do the same next year.

Hope to see you there.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC