News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2008 Appleseed After Action Reports from Other Sources

Started by Grin Reaper, November 16, 2007, 03:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grin Reaper

Updates of AAR's from other forums/blogs/publications following 2008' Appleseed Shoots will go here, as they become available:

Davilla, TX - Jan 5-6                              
Boulder City, NV (Las Vegas) - Jan. 19-20  
http://www.m-14forum.com/upload/showthread.php?t=50892
QuoteHello group,went out the PROJECT APPLESEED this past weekend and learned alot!First I want to thank Fred from fredsm14stocks.com along with all the PA/instructors for sharing all the information they had.We shot standing,sitting and prone.We were given information on the "Six Steps to Fire the Shot" Each person on the firing line would get one on one input from our instructors/top notch!The weekend went by to fast,all 300 rds.
On the saturday Fred past along alot of history that when you heard it,it gave goose bumps!April 19 1775 is a day we all should remember.I left on sunday afternoon feeling great!All of us left knowing more then when we started and for myself I will be coming back.I invite you to come out and see/feel for youself,there is nothing like being on the firing line when the command is given to fire and 50+ rifles go off!
Davilla, TX - Feb 9-10                              
Kingsport, TN - Feb. 16-17                      
Ramseur, NC - Feb 23-24 (has RBC prior)    
Hinesville, GA - March 1-2                        
Corona, CA - March 8-9
Fallon, NV - March 15-16
Toccoa, GA - March 29-30                      
Puryear, TN - April 5-6                            
Searsboro, Iowa - Apr 19-20
Ramseur, NC - Apr 19-20                        
Proctor, VT - Apr 26-27 (has a RBC prior)    
Three Forks, MT - May 3-4 (has a boot camp prior)
Cedar City, UT - May 17-18
Athens, OH - May 24-25                            
Kemmerer, WY - May 31-June 1
Newcastle, WY - June 7-8
Ramseur, NC #2 - July 4-6 (special 3 day event) (has RBC prior)
Throop, NY - July 12-13
Kemmerer, WY - Aug 2-3 (RBC prior)
Ramseur, NC #3 - Aug 30-31 (has RBC prior)
Puryear, TN #2 - Sept 13-14                      
Hinesville, GA #2 - Oct. 4-5                        
Boulder City, NV #2 - Oct 11-12                  
Osage Beach, MO - Oct 18-19 (has RBC prior)  
Fallon, NV #2 - Nov 1-2
Davilla, TX - Nov 8-9                                
Toccoa, GA - Nov 8-9                              
Blackcreek, VA - Nov 22-23

2007 AAR's are at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=112.msg617#msg617
"There's gotta be a few umlauts laying around somewhere." JB

Old Dog

link to the M14 Firing Line Public Forum.  Some pretty good feedback here from one of the attendees of the Boulder City Appleseed this weekend.  If you can't get to it with the link  let me know and I'll try to copy it over here.

http://www.m-14forum.com/upload/showthread.php?t=50892
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

cannonman61

Here's an article from a local paper regarding our last Hinesville Appleseed.

http://www.coastalcourier.com/news/article/5990/

From what I understand from the second press guy who showed up Sunday, there should be a piece on this weekend Hometown section on the news this weekend. I'll let you know, if and when that piece airs!

CM
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Garand69

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Old Dog

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

colonial shooter

"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

muxtek

Canton / Minerva Oh was a great weekend of shooting despite the heat. Our bunch at OFCC have some folks interested in the next one already. My thanks to the RWVA crew. The event was a real eye opener. My pistol shooting has come a long way in the last year. I hope to get out of the kitchen in about the same time. I have a ways to go. The instruction was top notch. The rest is up to me.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=20425

Buckshot

Quote from: colonial shooter on June 02, 2008, 11:41:13 AM
Found this on Frugals,

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/vb/showthread.php?t=209136

Colonial Shooter,

I think I have put some input into that thread, though I did not check it, if it is not the same thread, then there is another up there about Appleseed too.

Trying to get in there and work it a little, without pushing too hard and turning people off.

Did not get to the point of posting it here yet.  Not trying to take credit for others work, others are hitting it too.

Buckshot

Old Dog

I spend time on several other forums. 

Rifle Company - folks there seem to have little or no interest in Appleseed
M14 Firing Line Public Forum - much more interest, maybe from some of the newer folks, though there are some "older" folks there who make positive comments.
AR15.com - some interest, some positive and a few negative comments.
War Rifles - haven't seen much interest here yet.

Seems a lot of folks are interested in buying rifles, posting pictures of them, talking about them (kind of like the folks that collect fast cars but keep all of them sitting in a heated and air conditioned building so they stay new looking) and a lot of them seem to shoot some of their rifles quite a bit.  It's tough to "see" the value of the Appleseed training without actually going to one and seeing your own improvement.  Then of course there are the folks that don't really believe they need any improvement (we all know some of those folks).

Like they used to say at work (many years ago) - when you're unaware, you're unaware that you're unaware.  Say that 3 times real fast.  Hopefully the folks who have no interest in learning to use their rifles won't have their feelings hurt when the survivors find those unused rifles and ammo and put them to good use.

Fred

Buckshot, that's a very interesting thread over at OFCC.

It cries out for some more suggestions to steer people along the right track and get 'em further and faster down the road to becoming riflemen.

I don't see any problem with you posting a reference to the pdf "Do You HOMEwork" which you'll find on this site at the bottom of the first post at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=101.0

Heck, if two 2A organizations are going to work together, there's no reason not to hijack the pdf and post it over at OFCC.

No one over here will mind, as long as the OFCCers will put it to good use, which I think some of 'em will... ;D

M1A4ME, it's interesting that each site seems to have its own "character". Hope ours is characterized by people who DO things - like promote and teach marksmanship and liberty.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Old Dog

Well Fred, that's what we're supposed to be about.  But doing more than "something".

I saw a post this morning on one forum where a guy had lined up all 21 of his M1 Garands for a "family" picture.  I wonder how long it's been since those rifles have thrilled someone by shooting a good group, or announcing they are ready to "feed" again with that distinctive "pinging" noise of an empty 8 round clip being tossed out of the rifle to bounce across a firing line?  Kind of sad, really.  Its good they've found a good home and are not being neglected to the point of rusting away somewhere but everything needs a little exercise, now and then.

My major reasons for joining 3 of those forums was to support Appleseed type discussions (and to start a few) with folks who seem to have the rifles and might be interested in either learning how to shoot them better or helping to teach others (as Appleseed instructors of course).

Frenchie

In many forums, like the "family picture" M-1 Garand forum, posting on the forum is the sole purpose.  If they couldn't collect rifles, they'd collect bowling balls or something else where all that matters is how much money you spend on the collectables in other people's eyes. 

Forums like Appleseed and OFCC are active in other ways.  Here, obviously, it is to support the Appleseeds. At OFCC, it is to support 2A rights (specifically concealed carry-related, but others too) in Ohio.  Both active forums offline...there is a synergy here that can be extended to other forums, if they are also active offline.

Incidentally, I (Frenchie here/ Mr. Glock on OFCC...long story) and Morne (on OFCC) did the Wabash IN shoot last year.  This year, we had 8 total from OFCC, although Meanstreaker had done an earlier Appleseed in KY....if we keep that kind of math up, we'll own the firing line shortly.

Yes, I'm tooting the horn a little...there was a bit of work involved by not only me, but others like Morne, Buckshot and Meanstreaker on OFCC to get that turn out.
Mr. Glock @ OFCC

Nickle

http://www.examiner.com/x-1262-Boston-Events-Examiner~y2008m10d31-Project-Appleseed-Teaches-Bostonians-how-to-be-Militia-Men

More than two dozen people lay out on their bellies to the marked line, guns ready for the signal to load and fire.  The signal given, a stream of pops and booms resonated from the rifles to the target: a redcoat.  After 13 rounds the instructor barked out, "Cease Fire! Cease Fire! Cease Fire!"

We are at the Appleseed project in Winchendon Massachusetts, a weekend retreat at the local Rod and Gun club.   Sponsored by the Revolutionary War Veterans, the Appleseed Program aims to teach both history of the American militia and marksmanship skills.   No muzzle loaders here, but a parade of modern riflry.

In my hands is a Ruger 10/22, a so-called Liberty Training Rifle with a sight, altered trigger, bolt release and magazine.  We are firing thirteen, twenty, forty rounds into these targets.

At one point an instructor takes out a revolutionary style baronet and holds it high as an example.  "You got to protect your family, the red coats are coming and if you don't get them now, they're going to be rushing at you with one of these.  And the red coats move fast." Says Nickel, an instructor. 

Despite the intensity of these moments, the weekend Appleseed course is novice friendly, good for a person who hasn't fired a shot in her life and free for women.  And yet, despite these incentives it is still a predominately male crowd.   A fatigue wearing, rough neck, testosterone man's man with some Boston city-kins to add to the mix.   

Before we start shooting, me, the men's men and the city-kins stand in a circle and sing out of tune, "SAFETY RULES:  Keep your FIN-ger off the TRI-gger until your target has been sighted."

"We make them sing it back because it imprints in their subconscious" Says Nickel.

Garrison, one of the most enthusiastic instructors adds, "I tell my nine, ten year old kids 'keep your booger hook off the bang switch."

Nickel, Garrison, Schnider and the rest of the Revolutionary War Veterans are volunteers, all unpaid, running the program on a shoestring budget.

They symbolize the new wave of gun enthusiasts, those that use the Internet and gun forums to arrange marksmanship training in large magnitudes, up and down the New England countryside.

Despite these technological advancements, The American Veterans are delightfully old school.  'April 19, 1775, militiamen defended the area against the redcoats.  Two thousand people mobilized without email, cell phones.  How many could you rally if your life depended on it?" asks Nickel.

The Revolutionary War Veterans are adamant about putting guns in civilian hands.  For them, this is the best way that a citizenship can control the government. [Project Appleseed] reminds people of their rights.  That the government is put in place for US." Says Ross Schacher.

Nickel and the others have reason to be concerned.  Massachusetts and other states have tightened up their gun laws.  'You can't shoot a humanoid target in Massachusetts.  You ever hear of Act 180. Took your freedom and gave it a 180."

The Revolutionary War Veterans are not a militia per se, as one member Rob Schacher says, "You got these survivalist nuts in the woods giving militias a bad name. The militia is the people. Because of Women's liberation, you and I, 16-60 are part of the militia."

However part of the national milita I may be, I experience real troubles when I stand up to shoot.  "Too tense, you're leaning way off balance" Says Schacher. Have you ever played a sport?

"I ride the subway." I offer.

"Yes, exactly!"  Says Schacher.  "It's exactly like riding the subway!  You need to absorb the shock." 

Taking the advice, the next round my accuracy increases.  The instructors come to look at the target and nod their heads in encouragement.

"By the end of the day you'll be shooting good and you'll be signing up for your license," says Schacher.

One of the younger women who have already gotten her license, Laura Leland says, "I've been going 2-3 times a week.  Since I got my license I've been kind of obsessed."

Perhaps the most alluring thing about the weekend is the possibility of buying a discounted gun.  Buying a gun through the Veterans, scores many gun lovers a rifle worth double the price.  One that could fetch for thousands of dollars at gun shows.   This deal is one of the ways Revolutionary War Veterans hope that they can put inexpensive rifles in civilian hands.  Their program works through a government sponsored program called the Department of Civilian Marksmanship.  Through them, The Civilian for War Veterans is a tax-exempt not-for-profit 501 organization.

Of course, there are two conditions to get one of these coveted discount guns, participate in a marksmanship course and be part of an affiliate club.  The guns that are sold are WWII and Korean War relics often with the arsenal rebuilt.

John Mudy, one instructor, says about his own rifle,  " I do wonder what theaters my gun has played in."

The sun setting at last, we fire our last thirteen rounds.  This is the last Appleseed in the Boston area until spring but they are hopeful about the growth of their program.

"We are trying to double our events every year." Says Nickel.

As for me, come April for the next Appleseed gun course, I'll be there.

They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Fred

Good one, Nickle. After his next Appleseed, hope he'll talk our lingo a little more smoothly and accurately... :)

And, after his third one, hope he'll be stepping up for his orange hat... 8)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Fred

hawk, in today's America, where all the women are strong and all the men are good-lookin', it prob don't hardly make no difference... ;D

Old Dog

Old Glory!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion