News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Laramie WY 2/6-7/10 AAR

Started by colonial shooter, February 06, 2010, 10:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonial shooter

I am reporting this AAR via phone, As the staff thaws out from a cold one here in Wyoming.

Weather: cold to warm (33*) back to cold. Snow threatened all day. Glacial ice flows inhibited some shooters, lane change (50 meters) helped.

Most common platform: AR15, second: Mosin Nagant, third: LTR

In attendance 9 shooters. 1 rifleman today.

Per SB Risky Business, great new facility, warm and accepting folks, great find due to the hard work of our BOG Biathlon.

B thanks for your hard work and all the hoops you have had to jump through to get this event to happen.

"Risky out"

"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Mark Davis

Congratulations to three new Riflemen, Eric, Paige, and Mark! Eric, arrived with a cool looking AR, But at noon went home a swithced out the parts and came back with the same AR with more traditional stock and forearm and made the grade Sat afternoon. Paige fired A nagant all weekend with better results as Satureday turned to Sunday. By the time the qualifing targets were posted on Sunday afternoon he was prepared and did an outstanding job. Mark arrived with a rifle that did not like his box of ammo and shooting a loaner gun fired a rifleman score also.
Sunday morning brought out several shooters who could not be there on Sat. The persitsence was out standing, Satureday was nice with the ground softening up and sticking to everything. Sunday started cold and foggy, the slight warmth of miday brought the surface of the clay ground to something like melted ice cream, then the breeze started comming off the glacier, by three pm the thin layer of mud was on everything and freezing solid. Our shooters kept at it with lots of improving scores.
My thanks to every one there. I did not like the looks of the sky and bugged out for home, stopping only for a bottle of extra strength 5 hour energy drink and gas.
slithered into my own bed at 4AM. Saw some places with very bad visiablity and icy road but mostly made good time. 620 miles from Biatholn's to clodhopper hacienda.
Hope everyone made it home safley and see ya somewhere soon!

Beulahtrash

Just doing what I can with what I got. - Burt Gummer

I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. - Burt Gummer

J_T

Wowzers Paige with the Mosin did amazing!  It was cool to watch him get rocked back in the standing stage and just settle right back in for the next shot, round after round.
Had a bigger Sunday crowd than Saturday, which is unusual in the AS's I've been to --- and they were a committed bunch too, since it got C-C-C-COLD on Sunday afternoon!

Didn't realize you had such a trek to make Mr. Hopper --- Beulah and I rolled home after midnight and I thought that was bad enough. 8) (well, we had a bit of an Applebee's detour ... hey just realized!!  Appleseed ... Applebee's ... maybe some cross-promotion is in order?! :)) )

biathlon

You guys missed it. Right now it's -9 F with lows tonight expected to be near -15! Great job everyone.  :bow:

Sheepdog

Nice posts on this shoot. Also great praise for all our shooters accomplishments, and improvements. Kudos especially our 3 new Riflemen.

Pleasure meeting everyone. Looks like WY is in good hands. Great job Biathlon and thanks again for your hospitality...much appreciated. Great bunch of IITs. Go for it guys and start waiving PCs in front of RHs and SBs. Nobody is going to plot your course but you. Thanks for all your help!
Range people were fantastic. In conjunction with the Appleseed there was another firearms training program in process in the facility. We were made to feel welcome, at home and even offered food and drink. We were even invited to seed the other participants during the lunch break!
Really enjoyed this weekend. Thanks to all.
RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

B-Line

Congrats to all the new rifleman!!!!!!

B-LINE

Beulahtrash

Just doing what I can with what I got. - Burt Gummer

I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. - Burt Gummer

TheCount

I'm so jealous!   I had really wanted to be there for this historic shoot.  I'm really glad everything went well.   You guys were in my thoughts all though the weekend!   

Congratulations to our new Rifleman!   

Biathlon: thanks again for all of your effort and support.   This can and will work in Laramie!   Let's get the next one on the schedule while it's hot (sort of)!

biathlon

We're working on it. The next board meeting is march10 and I'm supposed to give a presentation on the course of fire and the context of the instructio. All the club members were impressed with the turnout and constant rifle fire all day. The stunt for scheduling the next shoots will be to work around the dirt work the Wyoming Army National Guard is doing this summer. What would be really sweet would be to have a full distance Appleseed at the newly renovated canyon range. 1000 yards anyone? :D

Chris_H

Great job all! Keep it up!  O0

Chris

M1bzrk

A great shoot & first in Laramie.  Many thanks to Biathlon for getting things set up & for his hospitality.  Congrats to the 3 new riflemen.  We are proud of you!    Especial thanks to Risky Business, Grandpa, Clodhopper & Sheepdog, both for their outstanding instruction and making sure that shooters were armed appropriately.  My kids were very impressed with your generosity and your enthusiasm.  Funny how that works: enthusiastic instructors = enthusiastic shooters and the feedback makes the instructors even more enthusiastic... 
Nice to see three women show up.  Sure that if Sunday shooters had been there Saturday, we would have seen even more Riflemen.  One of the ladies said, "I AM going to earn that patch!"  That's the kind of commitment we all like to hear. 
Sorry The Count, Colonial and B-Line couldn't make it, still a great shoot - as Risky said, "And no bugs." Thanks to all and congrats again to Mark, Paige & Eric.  What a program!

biathlon

I'd have to say that M1 Berzerker did the best job by bringing his family as this is what Appleseed is primarily about. I can't thank Risky Business or Grandpa enough and also Clodhopper(yer a hillbilly an a redneck!!)Sheepdog, Beulahtrash, JT(a pink rifle?)and especially the folks from Colorado(hey, I ski down there all the time)that showed up to prove that Appleseeders are the absolute top %3 of gun owners in this great Republic. We're gonna do this again real soon! Thanks to all the Wyoming, Montana and Colorado folks.