News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Washington Birthday Match

Started by chrisknox, February 04, 2010, 07:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisknox

Anybody want to gather up an AZ Appleseed team to shoot in the Washington's Birthday Match?  http://www.washingtonsbirthdayriflematch.org/.  It's $80 for a team of four.  There's also a clinic on Saturday with class and range time, but most Appleseed vets will be okay just showing up on match day.  Registration deadline is February 16.  I'd like to get my registration in sooner.  A short team is fine -- they'll just squad us with other singles at random, which can be a good way to meet people. 

The Washington's Birthday Match is the oldest continuously running annual match in the country -- the Zonies kept shooting right through WWI, the Depression and WWII.  Neat history, and and a good time.
And -- the rifle?  Wouldn't go out naked of a rifle.  When shoes and clothes and food, when even hope is gone, we'll have the rifle.
-- John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

NEWGUY556

Funny that you mention that. I was trying to get a group together but failed. I would be happy to join you and I may be able to get one more guy. How many shooters are you looking for?

There is a CMP match this sunday at the Buckeye Hills Range.
RWVA, Rifleman
Dangerous Middle Aged Man
Gun up...Send it....... HIT!

chrisknox

That's two of us.  Looking for two more. 

Come on, guys, this is a fun day.  Typically about 300 shooters.  It used to be an NRA service rifle match.  Now it's practically any rifle.  All at 200 yards.  It's the NRA National Match course.  50 rounds.  10 offhand (no slings), 10 sitting/kneeling, 10 Rapid-fire prone, 10 slow-fire prone. 
And -- the rifle?  Wouldn't go out naked of a rifle.  When shoes and clothes and food, when even hope is gone, we'll have the rifle.

NEWGUY556

I have one buddy that is in for sure. Guess we need one more. I will see if I can get someone else.
PM me and I will give you my phone # and E-mail.
RWVA, Rifleman
Dangerous Middle Aged Man
Gun up...Send it....... HIT!

Fred

Chris, I'm wondering where our AZ crew is.

This thread should be overrun with "I'm in!" and "Me, too!"

Is this a lesson, a sign, an indication that we have a LOT more work to do in AZ?

I'd have to say so.

Any help you can give on 'getting the word out' in AZ can only help make next year's Washington's Birthday Match a 'must' for all the AZ Appleseeders.

In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing posts on the 'net complaining "about all those Appleseeders, taking up all the spots on the line..." :)

Followed by posts like "where'd those guys learn to shoot - I gotta find out, and get there..." O0

We're supposed to be doubling this program every year - and last time I looked, AZ was part of that doubling scheme.

Which is why I'm wondering about the echo you hear on this thread. :'(

Clearly, we need some more help in AZ. We have a good set of dedicated AZ instructors, but student turnout needs to be pumped up, considerably.

Chris, any assistance you can be with this is greatly appreciated. O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

chrisknox

I may have filled one squad -- NewGuy223, my son (assuming he can get a ride up from Tucson), my wannabe-son-in-law (we had The Talk at the range), and a buddy of his.  But there's room for more squads.  They've expanded the line to like 85 firing points.  We can also request adjacent firing points to make it a party.  Part of the deal is you have to pull targets when you're not shooting.  Bit different from 25 yards.  More work, that's for sure!

Fred

OK, you Arizonians! We have ONE AS AZ shooter this year! (Sorry, Chris - with you and your son, we have THREE!!! Almost a full team! O0)

Let's set a goal of TWO complete AS teams next year!

And I hate to think of how many we'll have, TWO years from now... :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

AZRedhawk44

Quote from: Fred on February 05, 2010, 10:11:57 AM

Chris, I'm wondering where our AZ crew is.

This thread should be overrun with "I'm in!" and "Me, too!"

Is this a lesson, a sign, an indication that we have a LOT more work to do in AZ?

I'd have to say so.

Any help you can give on 'getting the word out' in AZ can only help make next year's Washington's Birthday Match a 'must' for all the AZ Appleseeders.

In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing posts on the 'net complaining "about all those Appleseeders, taking up all the spots on the line..." :)

Followed by posts like "where'd those guys learn to shoot - I gotta find out, and get there..." O0

We're supposed to be doubling this program every year - and last time I looked, AZ was part of that doubling scheme.

Which is why I'm wondering about the echo you hear on this thread. :'(

Clearly, we need some more help in AZ. We have a good set of dedicated AZ instructors, but student turnout needs to be pumped up, considerably.

Chris, any assistance you can be with this is greatly appreciated. O0

Umm... we're busy Appleseeding, Fred.  You know, bailing, instead of playing around? **)

We've got a 'Seed at Buckeye again that same weekend.

Maybe next year we'll be able to put a team together though.  How 'bout 4 Redhats come and dominate it?

Oops.  We need 4 Redhats, first! ~~:)

AZRedhawk44

I'll start bringing up the Washington's Birthday Match at an appropriate talking point (probably 7th-stepping) though.  Maybe next year we'll field a youth team and a couple adult teams, and a full Red Hat team. :---

Fred

That's "Appleseed in Action!"

O0

1911Ron

And yes Fred we are working on getting the word out, we are also working on getting more ranges on board.