News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2007 Appleseed After Action Reports from Other Sources

Started by Grin Reaper, June 06, 2007, 01:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grin Reaper

I'd like to start a thread that drives home how our little organization is viewed by the remainder of the world.  As such, I'll be posting After-Action Reports from across the internet (maybe other sources, if they're link-able).
To keep it updated and orderly, I respectfully request that if you find such a AAR, please pm me with the link and let me know which event it refers to.

So, here we go with the 2007 Appleseed After Action Reports from Other Sources :

Boulder City, NV (Las Vegas) - January 20 & 21

Orlando, FL  January 27 & 28
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496420
QuoteI attended the Orlando Appleseed shoot over the weekend. First, let me say that if you ever have the chance to go to an Appleseed, by all means do so! Those of us newbies learned riflery from some really first-class instructors. Even the seasoned hands learned a thing or two.

Ramseur, NC  Feb 24 & 25, 2007
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=26588
QuoteI attended the Saturday 2-24-07 session of the Ramsuer, NC Appleseed AQT shoot, sponsored by the (RWVA) Revolutionary War Veterans Association. This was an outstanding event and I learned a great deal from the instructors and greatly improved my rifleman's skills. I also satisfied the CMP affiliated club and shooting requirements. If you are not fimilar with this organization and what it stands for you really need to check it out. If you want to be a true rifleman and improve your shooting you should attend an Appleseed shoot in your area. ...I shot with my M48 and held my own with the Garand and M1A shooters. Approximately 45-50 people attended. In the AQT (Army Qualification Target) I qualified as sharpeshooter. The instructors were outstanding and I improved a great deal as the day went by. The old m 48 mauser performed like an old War Horse with milsurp ball ammo, and shot better than I could. It was a great time had by all.

Birmingham, AL - March 17 & 18
Fallon, NV - March 17 & 18
Toccoa, GA - March 24 & 25
Chesterfield, VA - March 31 & April 1
Carrollton, KY - March 31 & April 1
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243647
QuoteIn the closing days of 2006, I penned a short article listing a few of my New Year Resolutions... Become a Rifleman. ..., I want to compliment my handgun skills with some long arm abilities...To begin my journey, I read as much as I could... My spoiled, lazy rear convinced me that would be sufficient during the first cold months of an Ohio winter and I was on my way.
I could not have been more wrong. That complacent attitude was officially banished this past weekend when I attended an Appleseed Shoot sponsored by the fine folks at the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (RWVA).... I would like to recount my experience so that you can learn how I went from having fired twenty rounds of centerfire rifle ammunition in my life to consistently hitting (simulated) 400 yard targets with iron sights and a .30-caliber long arm after only two days of Appleseed instruction.

Furlong, PA - Apr 14 & 15
Hartford, CT - Apr 21 & 22
Yakima, WA - April 21 & 22
Long Island NY - April 28 & 29
Salt Lake City, UT - May 5 & 6
Shiocton, WI (Green Bay) - May 12 & 13
Jackson Hole - May 19 & 20
Worland, WY - May 26 & 27 
Van Etten, NY - May 26 &27 
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=269191
QuoteHey Nickle! I posted about my great experiences on the RWVA website. Basically, I have found a renewed pride in the people of our country that are out there spreading the word...and it was great to meet other rifleman/woman from around NY State.

It was an excellent program and you did a bang up job of keeping everyone on task and getting the message across. Sorry I didn't catch your post prior to the event, but let us all know when the next Appleseed is in or around NY State.
I am still there on the range in my mind, that was some great experience and I learned alot, dragging wood, the ball and dummy drill, NPOA was reinforced, Thanks!
Keep up the good work with the Appleseed program and let me know if I can help out in anyway for the event in Vermont in October. I would like that to be my 2nd Appleseed and thus on my way to becoming a Red Hat!!
Thanks again!

Bloomington IL June 2 & 3                                     http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=280890 
QuoteJust got back from the Illinois Appleseed...and I didn't shoot Rifleman but I did learn a lot.  I've really come to be fond of the concept of controlling a 500 yard radius with iron sights ... While I know high power competition is a great teacher, I've never found the time to get in that sport. So, the Appleseed course seemed like it was tailor-made to what I am looking for... I thought I was an OK rifle shot (I'm an NRA Rifle Instructor) but I really didn't know how I'd do from the positions with a high rate of aimed fire... I finally feel comfortable using slings. NPOA is outrageously important. "Dragging wood" (trigger finger laying on stock during squeeze) will throw shots. Adjusting elevation and windage with muscles doesn't work for long. Cadence works (firing every 2-3 seconds ...). Shooters Are Nice People - we had all kinds. White collar, blue collar. Rich, not so rich. Urban, rural. Several ethnicities... By the end of the 2 days there was a lot of camaraderie, story swapping, and genuine well-intentioned, mutual coaching... A really good program. I'll go again. They struck a nice balance in teaching and practical exercises as well as firm instruction without being too "drill sergeant".

Ramseur, North Carolina - June 2 & 3  2007

Wabash, IN Appleseed: June 16, 2007 - June 17, 2007

Bozeman, MT Appleseed: June 23, 2007 - June 24, 2007

Evansville, IN Appleseed: June 30, 2007 - July 1, 2007 -- a fella with 5846 posts at rimfirecentral posted a link to the Evamsville Courier Press article on this year's shoot (http://www.courierpress.com/news/2007/jul/02/johnny-appleseed-shoot-targets-safety-practice/)
[a] retired South Bend, Ind., police officer trekked 360 miles to Vanderburgh County for a Johnny Appleseed shoot Saturday and Sunday, sponsored by the 2nd Amendment Patriots at West Side Sportsman's Club.
Even though Grummell, 61, has been shooting for 40 years, 'you can always work on things,' he said after firing five rounds at a target from a crawl position. 'I'm here honing my skills.'....The 2nd Amendment Patriots, a gun-ownership rights group with about 40 active members, sponsored this weekend's shoot for instructional and practice purposes, founder Jim Tomes said.
The real meaning behind it, though, delves even deeper.
'At one time this was a nation of riflemen,' Tomes said as participants prepared to fire military-style rifles. 'People didn't depend on agencies miles away to protect them.
'There are terrorists within our borders. What if something did happen? Could this country take care of itself? This is about people taking responsibility for their own safety.'
Sixty-two people turned out for the weekend's activities.
Last year's first Johnny Appleseed shoot drew 156, but Tomes said more groups are putting on shoots.
Shooting effectively is all about fundamentals and repetition, Tomes said, and young shooters such as Lynnville, Ind., resident Tyler Weaver, 15, spent the weekend learning those basics.
Weaver said he's learning the six steps: sight alignment, respiratory pause, focus on front sight, squeeze trigger, follow through and take a mental picture of the shot.
The teen said he was having a ball. 'You meet a lot of interesting people from all over in shooting.'

Ramseur, NC -- Independence Day Shoot July 4, 2007 http://www.rwva.org/yabbse/index.php?topic=3674.0;topicseen
QuoteThis event was excellent.  There is nothing like getting to test the skills learned at 25M at full distance.  It proves that if you can shoot at 25M, you will have the skills to shoot well at Rifleman distances. 

Coeur d' Alene, ID Appleseed: July 14, 2007 - July 15, 2007 http://p070.ezboard.com/fmscgfrm49.showMessage?topicID=149.topic
QuoteAnyhow, the Appleseed was fantastic and if I could I'd ORDER everyone to go to one.
...I REALLY enjoyed our time there even when I got a little fatigued at the end of the first day. I would go again and recommend EVERYONE in the world go just for the history lessons alone...The AppleSeed and the Apple Seed bootcamps should be attended by anyone ...
http://p070.ezboard.com/The-Appleseed-shoot/fmscgfrm65.showMessage?topicID=16.topic
QuoteAnyhow, the Appleseed was fantastic and if I could I'd ORDER everyone to go to one...But please go, no matter how good you think you are, check it out. All good people, lot's of kid's (old enough to shoot) and wives/girlfriends too...I REALLY enjoyed our time there even when I got a little fatigued at the end of the first day. I would go again and recommend EVERYONE in the world go just for the history lessons alone...The AppleSeed and the Apple Seed bootcamps should be attended by anyone withen a 2-3 hour drive (more if you can afford the time and money). I have not been to one yet (August will be my first) BUT, I have been ordering Fred's Rifleman course and Fred's Rifleman Instructor Course for several years and handing them out. HE IS ON THE MONEY!!!

Medford OR Appleseed: July 21, 2007 - July 22, 2007 http://www.m-14forum.com/upload/showthread.php?t=41211&page=2
QuoteMastering the 6 steps and NPOA should be learned as cheaply as possible w/ a replaceable resource, 22LR. Unfortunately I couldn't make day 2 of this Appleseed. Everyone that is a shooter or wants to become a shooter should attend an Appleseed at least 1x. There is something there even for a High Master level shooter.

Proctor, VT Appleseed: August 11, 2007 - August 12, 2007

Ramseur, NC Appleseed: September 1, 2007 - September 2, 2007 http://www.m-14forum.com/upload/showthread.php?t=45856
QuoteI fired about 300 rds during Labor Day weekend, and had lots of fun, learning, and developing my skills firing a rifle to 500 yards. The SA functioned consisteantly better than expected. Great instruction came with this Appleseed, my instructors (Iowa Mark, Scout, Dragon Wood,Grin Reaper, Doug in VA, & Fred) we're GREAT! My fellows on the line we're excellent to shoot with! With my homework, listed above, my goals are to develop the rapid fire acuracy on the AQT, and hit that rifleman score by April 19th, 2008! That and finding a range that extends to 100+ yards in NoVA....The Pop ups we're FUN!!
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=34&t=279910
Quote...we were given an outstanding verbal account of how the revolutionary war began. It was longish, but I thought it was very interesting...they spent more time with me and corrected my biggest problem shooting prone...As the day wore on, I started really getting the natural point of aim going, my trigger pull was much improved, my breathing was useful for slight elevation adjustment, and I got my prone position correct. I did pretty well with "shooter's cadence", firing fairly rapidly and hitting the target...The staff was friendly, safety was a priority and handled very professionally, and I leared a lot. Most importantly I learned how bad I really was at shooting. I thought I had gotten somewhat proficient, and had developed my own style and bad habits. I was simply used to shooting MY way, and now that I know the proper way I can get better...I liked the course, learned alot, frustrated some by the speed of the course, and had plenty of fun...I recommend the course for most folks (newbies and experienced alike)...The only comments that I picked up on that may have been construed as negative against a rifle model was surprise at an AK getting a 2" group at 25 yards, where the instructors seemed surprise that an AK could do that...I started with a leather sling and it got in the way. It was 10x better with a borrowed cotton sling. If you're not in fighting shape, do some PT before going. Yoga would probably help a lot more than anything else. Just being good and limbered up should help immensely.

Stewart, VA Appleseed: September 8, 2007 - September 9, 2007

Hinesville, GA Appleseed: September 15, 2007 - September 16, 2007 http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3348&start=20
QuoteI'd highly recommend this program if you have a chance to go. Just about everyone that went to the Hinesville one last month showed some kind of improvement--even guys that had been shooting their whole lives. I'm still a new shooter, and went from "suck" to just under the program's "rifleman" score of 210 in just two days...Seriously, it's well worth the money. Your shooting will improve much more through this course than by spending the equivalent amount of money on ammunition, and trying to figure it out yourself. You also learn which of your rifles will stand up to sustained, and which ones won't...Again, go if you get the chance; it's well worth it.

Kemmerer, WY Appleseed: September 22, 2007 - September 23, 2007

Puryear, TN Appleseed: September 22, 2007 - September 23, 2007

Bozeman, MT Appleseed: September 29, 2007 - September 30, 2007

Langehorne PA - Applessed: September 29, 2007 - September 30, 2007

Medford OR Appleseed: October 6, 2007 - October 7, 2007

Texarkana, TX Appleseed: October 6, 2007 - October 7, 2007

Lexington, KY - October 6, 2007 & October 7, 2007 http://m14firinglineforum.com/upload/showthread.php?t=46869&highlight=Appleseed
QuoteI just got back to my hotel room after a truly life-changing day...I urge every single person on this forum to attend an Appleseed event!...Not only is it a fun day at the range, but it is a moving and educational experience as well... Over the course of the day, during breaks, our lead instructor ("The Guy" from the RWVA forums) told the story behind April 19, 1775 -- the true beginning of our War of Independence. After hearing him detail how seemingly small choices and heroic deeds by ordinary men on that day began our nation's fight for Liberty... wow. I'll tell you, you go back to your firing position and grab your rifle with a fire in your heart. No "History Channel" special will ever create in your soul the reverence and awe Guy inspired us with. You gain a real, human understanding of the bravery it took for British citizens to make the choice to become Patriots...You will get top-notch instruction on becoming a Rifleman, and you'll gain a true appreciation for those who secured our freedoms.

Osage Beach Missouri Appleseed: October 13, 2007 - October 14, 2007 http://www.missouricarry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17388
QuoteThere were some great groups - both people and shots! UMR's ROTC had a small contingent participating and I got to meet a few of the MOCarry forum members (as if learning to shoot better wasn't enough of a reason to go!  ).
Appleseed is a great way to 'force' yourself to put in the time to work on fundamentals... I was consistently shooting between the marksman and sharpshooter range (still a ways to get to rifleman), so I went away happy and with enough knowledge of what I need to work on to continue to improve.
QuoteThe individual strings of fire were short (no more than 13 rounds), and they really honed in on different positions and shooting aspects.

It was certainly an eye-opener for me. Bench-rest skills don't mean a whole lot when you sling up and go prone. And I'm not even that great of a bench-rest shooter. 
QuoteI'll be providing more details over time, but this was a really good event.

If you are interested in learning how to shoot a stock rifle out to it's maximum effective range, with iron sights, from proven combat positions, using techniques proven to be effective by generations of marksmen, this is the class you need to take. Want to be able to pick up your 'evil black rifle' of choice and snap off a quick head shot on a zombie at 400 yards... fully confident that you can connect? They'll show you how to make it happen. There is no better way to spend $70 and 2 days than to attend one of these events. It'd be a bargain at 10x the price....The next Appleseed is Oct 16-17, 2008, at the same location. Guys, we need to pack this event. It's not expensive... you can shoot a .22lr if you want to save on ammo... With the number of dedicated 2nd amendment supporters on this site, we ought to be able to flood the event next year.

Boulder City, NV - Appleseed: October 13, 2007 - October 14, 2007 http://www.thegunnerslair.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=98
QuoteMost anyone who knows me has heard me rave about the Appleseed shoots...In talking with the instructors, it seems that the Firearms Coalition made as many friends as the Appleseed cadre. I'm adding the Firearms Coalition to my "donate to" list...If you get a chance to attend - and you SHOULD have a chance to attend close to you! - and don't, it is quite literally your loss. Well, yours and our diminishing heiritage.

Appleseed - Phoenix, AZ: October 20, 2007 - October 21, 2007 http://m14firinglineforum.com/upload/showthread.php?t=43200&page=2&highlight=Appleseed
QuoteThe first time I shot this target, I could only keep all three rounds in the 100 yard target. I would get 1 or 2 rounds per the other sillhouettes, and I missed the headshot...After firing this target, Fred took us down the path of the rifleman. A lot of information was soaked up by all parties. We started with the prone position and worked our way "up" from the ground, going to sitting/kneeling and finally to standing. As we worked these positions we fired at different targets, all based on 100/200/300/400 yard accuracy...I left the first day with a lot of knowledge...I met some good people, and gained intimate knowledge of my rifle.

Jericho VT Appleseed: October 20, 2007 - October 21, 2007

Evansville, IN - Oct 27 & 28     

Toccoa GA - Appleseed: November 3, 2007 - November 4, 2007 http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20847
QuoteI'm no history professor but I do study and enjoy history, and its the little details that irk me and these guys got them right, and taught me a lot I didn't know. A very impressive start to the day!...The shooting is at 25M, and is FUN! I can't stress this enough; this stuff is so much fun...Some of the re-enactment folks had bought a cannon with them and fired off a few blanks. Very impressive. After that was the wrap up; a few folks got their rifleman badges and the rest of us left feeling like we'd get ours next time!...If you have never been to an Apple seed shoot, make a point of going when you get the chance - its not expensive, and it is so much fun. I learned a hell of a lot and had a great time and I will be going to the next one in North Georgia.
QuoteOverall I had a blast and I learned tons more over the weekend than I learned since the start of this year when I first started going to the range seriously. Next time I will be back, and hopefully I will be bringing many new shooters with me.

Davilla, TX Appleseed: November 10, 2007 - November 11, 2007 http://www.m14firinglineforum.com/upload/showthread.php?t=45764
QuoteI sure did enjoy the Davilla Appleseed shoot...I was MUCH impressed with the associated history lesson on the events of April 19, 1775 (start of the Revolution) as presented by Guy (Illinois fella) in his riveting style. My biggest regret was not doing any 'homework' prior to the shoot. Next time I'll stretch and practice steadying that gun before range day. Just one of the lessons that I learned. All of the instructors were super-helpful and constantly telling me how to improve and (occasionally) noting that I was doing something right...I certainly came away more confident in my abilities and look forward to going back next year.
"There's gotta be a few umlauts laying around somewhere." JB

Grin Reaper

Nickle

They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Counselor

GR

I believe the Mingus, Texas, Appleseed has been cancelled.

Counselor

Fred

Counselor: Technically, not cancelled. Simply switched - or rescheduled - to Davilla, TX a couple of weeks later...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Grin Reaper

Old Dog

Here's one from the M14 Firing Line Pubic Forum:

http://www.m-14forum.com/upload/showthread.php?t=45856   Here's the link in case folks want to view it as it grows.

[edited to add post to list in 1st post -- Thanks, M1A4ME!]
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Old Dog

Still getting good comments from others on this post and some of them are stating their intention to attend specific Appleseeds this fall.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

cmidkiff

Grin Reaper

Updated, and thank you to cmidkiff for the link, and his kind words.

cannonman61

I'd love to see it, but the screen asks for a user name and a password.

Do we have to join the forum to see the AAR comments?

Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Grin Reaper

Looks like you need to do so, but I copied/pasted some of it at the top.

Grin Reaper

Grin Reaper

The 2008 Appleseed After Action Reports from Other Sources (ready for action!)

Davilla, TX - Jan 5-6                               
Boulder City, NV (Las Vegas) - Jan. 19-20   
Davilla, TX - Feb 9-10                             
Kingsport, TN - Feb. 16-17
Ramseur, NC Feb. Boot Camp
Ramseur, NC - Feb 23-24
Hinesville, GA - March 1-2                     
Fallon, NV - March 15-16
Toccoa, GA - March 29-30                       
Puryear, TN - April 5-6                           
Searsboro, Iowa - Apr 19-20
Ramseur, NC - Apr 19-20   
Proctor, VT Boot Camp                       
Proctor, VT - Apr 26-27
Three Forks, MT Boot Camp 
Three Forks, MT - May 3-4
Cedar City, UT - May 17-18
Athens, OH - May 24-25                           
Kemmerer, WY - May 31-June 1
Ramseur, NC July Boot Camp
Ramseur, NC #2 - July 4-6 (special 3 day event)
Throop, NY - July 12-13
Kemmerer, WY Aug. Boot Camp
Kemmerer, WY - Aug 2-3
Ramseur, NC Aug. Boot Camp
Ramseur, NC #3 - Aug 30-31
Puryear, TN #2 - Sept 13-14                     
Hinesville, GA #2 - Oct. 4-5                       
Boulder City, NV #2 - Oct 11-12     
Osage Beach, MO Boot Camp           
Osage Beach, MO - Oct 18-19
Fallon, NV #2 - Nov 1-2
Davilla, TX - Nov 8-9                               
Toccoa, GA - Nov 8-9                               
Blackcreek, VA - Nov 22-23

Fred

Grin: Not sure what this list is about. Maybe there's someone else doesn't know, either... :( :D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Bravo

Oh, c'mon!

There's only three within driving distance for 2008?

That ain't funny. And here I was hoping that Fred would kick in so many around me I'd be on a summer-long diet of beans and rice just so I could afford the gas, motel rooms, and ammo.

Heck, I was hoping for so many I'd have to start using a 22LR 'cause I couldn't afford that much ammo  :o
Well, heck, I might have to start using a 5.56 just to do three, now that I think about it...... :-\

I guess at least it's understandable...... people around here aren't quite 'up to speed'. Lots of people pushing the snooze button, refusing to be awakened. Maybe I'm just not as big of a bucket of cold water as is really needed, who knows.

Life sure must suck for people afraid of a piece of paper.

Grin Reaper

Okay, now I'm confused.

This thread is for a running list of AAR's, by calender year, but from sources other than our own forum.  Its purposes are:
1.  Keep our people aware of how the program is perceived by those who have not yet 'seen the light' and
2.  Encourage those who attended an event to put their positive reviews onto existing threads on other forums, further 'bumping up' the positive feedback that people on other forums encounter.

The 2008 post is just a set-up for my purposes to get things ready for the coming calender year.

ETA -- on second thought, this could get messy quickly.  I'm going to archive this thread & start a new one for 2008 instead.