News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Calverton, NY Dec 27 & 28, 2009

Started by VietVet, December 29, 2009, 10:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VietVet

Sunday...Weather was GREAT! It got up to nearly 50 degrees. Not too hot , not too cold. Probably the best weather at any Appleseed I've attended. Snow did not cause an issue at all. Range by the end of the day was dry and snow gone. We did have to bring in 2 shooters with our 4x4's because the road in was a little "flooded". Aside from that no weather issues at all. At one point during the day we had to start removing clothing because it got to hot. We had a total of 21 Shooters on the line today.

Started the day off shooting the Red Coat Target, went right into our teaching the proper positions and techniques. All shooters showed marked improvement by days end.

Did manage to get 1 Rifleman today.  Chris He shot a 217.
Hopefully more tomorrow.

We had two people on the line that today was their BIRTHDAY.
One young man who turned 21.
We also had a strong willed young lady Jackie, turned 18 today. Yes even the ladies had representation!  

This is the beginning of the AAR for this shoot.
As the shoot progresses tomorrow I'll keep all posted as to how things went.

Will also post pictures after the Shoot is completed.

Must admit I'm tired and leaving a lot out, but when I get the time and some sleep will fill all in with the facts when my head is clearer.

Stay Tuned!!!!!
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

VietVet

Here are some Photos taken on Sunday during the shoot. I must admit I'm not quite the computer buff, so hopefully these will do until I learn that Photo Bucket technique....
                                    OUR

VietVet

Just a few more from Sunday.....
                                    OUR

VietVet

Monday: Weather was not as good but not bad in any way. It was warm enough to stay warm if you were prepared for what I say was Cool weather, not cold. We had a short drizzle for about 10 minutes and it was dry from then on.

This was a very fast paced day. The main objective was to Put Rounds Down Range. And that we did.
The weekend total came out to be about 750 rounds per shooter.
The turn out was small, only 6 or 7 shooters. That however allowed us to keep up this fast pace. They all knew the drill and all we had to do was let them at it and throw in a few reminders about their shooting styles. They put the rounds downrange.
I have to give them all credit for hanging in there because at the end of today we were all tired. Especially doing this fast pace.
We must have done at least  12 to 15 AQT's. Wouldn't be surprised if it was more.

Now lets get back to Chris. He deserves special mention at the least. You have to score at least a 210 to gain Rifleman status. His score yesterday was 217.
Today he consistently shot a Rifleman's score....217,217, 226. He liked that #217 but went even higher to the 226. Honestly he may have gone even higher. I lost count. He made the Rifleman Score at least 4 times.

Congrats Chris......

You could tell it was a nice day to be at the Range because in the background you could hear the steady fire at the "Regular Range". Nice background music.

All in all it was a great weekend spent at the range enjoying an Appleseed Shoot.

I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out. Hopefully others will fill in the blanks.

Let me send out a great big THANK YOU   to the people that made this happen  kDan was the Shoot Boss. He traveled to and from Brooklyn both days to make sure we got this shoot in. Great job KDan and thanks for standing up when needed.
SgtRock, (aka Stoner) I'll give him the SgtRock because he handled this shoot (along with kDan) in a very Military, professional manner. He knew his stuff and surely will be a Red hat shortly. He could handle that job right now. He traveled from upstate to lend his help. Also stood up when needed, thanks Sgt.
We had Al, Yankee-Patriot on Sunday who showed his knowledge and always seems to be there when needed. He traveled from Nassau County to IIT.
bravo_juliet_mike (you have to shorten your screen name) ran the line today. He stepped right in and totally took control. Great job Brad.

Hopefully Long Island will have enough IIT's and someday a Shoot Boss so we can run these shoots with our own people and schedule them anytime we choose.

I also want to add we had the honor of closing out the Appleseed Program for 2009. This was the last official AS Shoot of the year.

Great People, Great Fun, Great Weekend, Great Appleseed!
                                    OUR

Vergeltung

very glad it came off well Rich, I am thrilled for you guys. two thumbs up!!  :)

sgtrock

Let me say, first and foremost, Thank You to Al [yankee-patiot] and his wife Laura for letting me stay at their house for this shoot, I could not have done this without their help, I Am Proud to call them my Friends,, [ how did she know I liked banana bread ],
    And I would like to Thank Bob, Chris' father for helping me find my way home to the country when I missed my exit in unforgiving rush hour traffic that I am not used to dealing with, 6hrs 15 mins later I was home, would have been a little sooner but I ran into snow covered roads for the last 75 miles or so, but not bad, that I can handle.
    The weather really was fantastic for a shoot, There always has to be some mud or water somewhere we can get into,lol,
      Fine group of people we had  there, I'm really glad you all came, and hopefully took away alot of good information you can use in the future.
  As for our newest Rifleman, Chris, He has earned and was awarded the final patch of 2009 in the United States Of America, that to me is or should be an honor all onto it's own, Nice job Sir. Like VeitVet said he did not stop there, he shot at least 4 more Rifleman scores before the weekend was over, He knows what he is about, and he started shooting the stage 2 from the kneeling position the least stable and still did it, [mind over matter][and mind on the mission],it can be done, nice work.
    I am greatful to kDan, to let me Shoot Boss an Appleseed event[sunday all day] for the start of my Appleseed career, He is an outstanding Instructor of and for  instructors, I am honored, to have worked under your watchful eyes, Thank You!!
    It was great to work with kDan, VeitVet, Yankee-patriot, Bravo-Juliet-Mike, can't wait for next year, if you need me there, I will come.
  As stated earlier with the malfunctions, Appleseed events will find out where the problems lie in regards to equipment, ammo etc.
    Those of you, who have now, [been there done that], you can square away those friends of yours that want to come to the next AS event and not have to deal with the problems you experienced at your shoot, you basically become their tudor, makes for a more enjoyable time, thats how it works.
   The history is very addicting as well, the more I hear the more I want to know,, which is what we need in this country right now, to know where we came from and how we got here. The freedom we all enjoyed this weekend did not come from us just buying the toys we had there, but from the sacrifices of our forefathers, they paid the price in blood so we could do today. lets not forget that.
    I look forward to instructing at as many Appleseed events as I can, because It's being with like minded people as this weekend was, that makes it all worthwhile,, and it HAS TO BE DONE.  I need to be apart of this,,"The Appleseed Project",,,                        Stoner aka sgtrock

vernic82

Place looks the same as when I shot there 30 years ago in High School!

Vietvet and kdan, you guys sure make that place look like a respectable range as it's great to see AS there and not all the crap we used to shoot at that range way back when!

Quote from: VietVet on December 29, 2009, 10:47:37 AM
Sunday...Weather was GREAT! It got up to nearly 50 degrees. Not too hot , not too cold. Probably the best weather at any Appleseed I've attended. Snow did not cause an issue at all. Range by the end of the day was dry and snow gone. We did have to bring in 2 shooters with our 4x4's because the road in was a little "flooded". Aside from that no weather issues at all. At one point during the day we had to start removing clothing because it got to hot. We had a total of 21 Shooters on the line today.

Started the day off shooting the Red Coat Target, went right into our teaching the proper positions and techniques. All shooters showed marked improvement by days end.

Did manage to get 1 Rifleman today.  Chris He shot a 217.
Hopefully more tomorrow.

We had two people on the line that today was their BIRTHDAY.
One young man who turned 21.
We also had a strong willed young lady Jackie, turned 18 today. Yes even the ladies had representation!  

This is the beginning of the AAR for this shoot.
As the shoot progresses tomorrow I'll keep all posted as to how things went.

Will also post pictures after the Shoot is completed.

Must admit I'm tired and leaving a lot out, but when I get the time and some sleep will fill all in with the facts when my head is clearer.

Stay Tuned!!!!!
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

YankeePatriot

Sgt. Rock
  It was my pleasure to have you in my home. To me the most important thing about apple seed is not the shooting, but the meeting of like minded individuals who are willing to pledge their time to save this country. This battle has got to be waged one day at a time, one apple seed at a time until we have a nation of well versed apple seed rifle men all across this great country of ours!

kDan

Banana Bread, eh?  I love Banana Bread.

SgtRock rocked the Second Strike.  If you get me your PC, I'm gonna put you up for IIT4.  We gotta get a Red Hat on your head before April.  The 23 years or whatever you spent as a Sergeant don't hurt your ability to command a civilian firing line in any way.  I like the way we tag-teamed the banter.  I'll sign up for your shoots in the future.  YankeePatriot is truly a great guy to work with, smart and funny.  Sometimes you'll say something and like two minutes later I'm like...  "hey wait a minute..."  I agree with you brother - it's about the people and the more I get to know my local Instructors, the better I feel about the future of Appleseed on Long Island and Southern New York.  This brings me to Bravo Juliet Mike - it looks like a lot of the lifting - the BOTG - of making this happen on Long Island is gonna rest on your shoulders, brother.  I knew it in August when I met you that you would be one of the guys walking back and forth in the Red Zone, checking legs and elbows.  Whatever I can do to help you keep things going, let me know.  T.J. will make it, but it won't be the worst thing in the world if you're the Red Hat putting the Orange on her head.  I think this range and this group of folks are going to continue to be isolated somewhat from the rest of the country, but as SgtRock demonstrated this week-end and as B9 demonstrated in October, it is not impossible to drive through or even around NYC with rifles and gear.

One thing - we need loaners on Long Island.  IIT's, start building a couple ltr's.

VietVet deserves special mention because without him, this would never have happened.  He caught a LOT of grief from his fellow Longislandfirearms.com members, underservedly so, and he came through.  21 shooters came through with him on Sunday.  The guy who asked for this special Sunday/Monday shoot didn't show up, but 2/3 of the line was full two days after christmas in the slush and mud.  I couldn't drive my car out to the line, but between Bravo Juliet Mike's Jeep, and SgtRock's truck, it didn't matter.  Only thing I forgot in my car was my lip balm, but a Rifleman perseveres!

Vietvet also collected the names and addresses of all the LIF members that made it.  I am glad to know that he will be instrumental in building Long Island's Appleseed presence.  Interesting fact, in three events, we've introduced 60 individual shooters to Appleseed.  There are a lot more out there.  I am already thinking we may need to run two lines in April.  It's definitely going to sell out.  Another reason to get another Red Hat down here.  Rich, or Brad, or Josie Wales, one of you guys have got to get this done.  What about Vergeltung?  Who's out there?  We need another Red Hat in Southern New York, but especially out there on the Island.  You guys can change the dynamic of Long Island shooting and what folks out there see as being an American.

Congratulations to Chris, truly a remarkable shooter, and to his father, for raising such a solid human being.  It was hard not to thrust an orange hat onto his head right then and there, but alas, we have rules...  Next time, brother.  You will be running these things before you know it.

We had several shooters that are really prepared to approach the patch.  A bunch of folks were consistently around 180, 190 and thereabouts, but the key word is "consistently".  At that point, you have to relaxxxx, shoot by the numbers, breathe, and watch your trigger.  No magic bullet for those last 20 points.  It can be frustrating to be at this level, and many people creep up for a while, but if you work the program and stick with it, you will make it.  Definitely come to another Appleseed.  We'll be back in Calverton April 17-18.  Who knows, maybe we'll have one before then.  In the meantime...  dryfire dryfire dryfire...  but leave the ammo in the basement unless you're going to the range.  I think it was Imker that said something like, "dryfiring is the worst thing that has happened to many a television set." funny, but not really funny.

Thanks to Harry, the owner of this remarkable and unique range.  When I see him driving around in that huge yellow piece of earthmoving equipment - whatever it is - it makes me wish I had a huge sandbox with a bunch of awesome toys too.   

On Sunday, I pretty much sat down and watched the guys run the show.  Not only was it nice to kick back and feel the sun on my black carhardts, but it was a pleasure to watch these guys throw it down like they did.  It made me proud, but it also made me think...  Now that Nickle doesn't need me in the Great White North, B9 doesn't need me upstate, lprgcfrank and chainsaw don't need me in PA, and Fred doesn't need me on the Go Team, what's a kDan to do when Long Island is running itself?  Maybe I'll take up golf.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Vergeltung

Quote from: kDan on December 31, 2009, 02:50:19 PM

VietVet deserves special mention because without him, this would never have happened.  He caught a LOT of grief from his fellow Longislandfirearms.com members, underservedly so, and he came through.  21 shooters came through with him on Sunday.  The guy who asked for this special Sunday/Monday shoot didn't show up,

he did not show up?!?! that galls me to no end. seriously. I have completely detached myself from LIF, or I'd be dishing out some serious venom over that issue. what balls.  >:(

Rich is a quality man, no doubt. I am sorry he still has to deal with whiney BS over there. I had enough, and voted with my feet. IMO, LIF should be an afterthought to Calverton AS shoots.

Vietvet also collected the names and addresses of all the LIF members that made it.  I am glad to know that he will be instrumental in building Long Island's Appleseed presence.  Interesting fact, in three events, we've introduced 60 individual shooters to Appleseed.  There are a lot more out there.  I am already thinking we may need to run two lines in April.  It's definitely going to sell out.  Another reason to get another Red Hat down here.  Rich, or Brad, or Josie Wales, one of you guys have got to get this done.  What about Vergeltung?  Who's out there?  We need another Red Hat in Southern New York, but especially out there on the Island.  You guys can change the dynamic of Long Island shooting and what folks out there see as being an American.

I am extremely interested in the whole thing, and will bring something in April to faclilitate qualifying. If I have to borrow someone's pea-shooter with an optic, then, so be it.  ;D

Thanks to Harry, the owner of this remarkable and unique range.  When I see him driving around in that huge yellow piece of earthmoving equipment - whatever it is - it makes me wish I had a huge sandbox with a bunch of awesome toys too.   

in a different time here on LI (40-50 years ago?) I think Harry would get more local recognition. he certainly would get it in another state today, that's for sure. LI has gone the way of many urban areas in the US. many sheeple.  :)

Harry's a great guy. sometimes I want to ask him if he needs any volunteers to help out there...

kDan, I am glad you had a good time and that there was such a great showing. I think the Calverton folks (the range, and us shooters) have represented very well. see ya in April.  :)

B9

Now that Nickle doesn't need me in the Great White North, B9 doesn't need me upstate, lprgcfrank and chainsaw don't need me in PA, and Fred doesn't need me on the Go Team, what's a kDan to do when Long Island is running itself?  Maybe I'll take up golf.

Your a funny dude and will always be needed around these parts.

To be fair to the LIFer that said he could fill a Sunday/Monday shoot..... I picked the date and put it on the schedule, not him.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

kDan

I wasn't knocking anybody for not showing up, just spot-lighting that a lot of people DID, and it wasn't even the one's that originally put the idea out there.  Long Island is certainly representing itself well.  The LIF forum is definitely secondary to these events, but all the people that came out as a result of Appleseed activist posts on that forum were great folks and we should definitely tap that resource for all it's worth.  Even I posted to the discussion when I recognized the it was getting perhaps a bit, shall we say, negative?  That perhaps some of the people posting may not have understood what Appleseed was about.  "watch for any change"

I think the LIF guys we've got involved in Appleseed can handle their own.  As I love telling anybody that will listen (how many times, b9?), keeping up with this forum is a part-time job for me.  I don't need another one, unless it pays better.   

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Vergeltung

sorry if I mischaracterized what you said. glad it was a good event. thank you for all you have done for AS here on Long Island.

kDan

No worries.  I just want to be clear.  I know a lot of folks read these things, and it's easy for one thing to sound like another. 

I'm glad to see you're so interested.  Still around.  I remember you from August, W., and look forward to seeing you on the line again.  Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out.  We'd love to get another event going at one of the other ranges, not to back-stab Harry - he's the best, but just to keep it going.  Know anybody at Brookhaven?  Or Nassau?
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Vergeltung

the Brookhaven thing is for benchies. it's about as anti-AS as there is. no shooting of rifles except at the bench rest. yeah, I'm up for that.  **) not.

FWIW, I have never gone there. to me, it's a complete waste of time unless you are siting a rifle for hunting.

I don't know the Nassau thing. However, before I forget, for April, I was going to volunteer my place for an intermediate crash pad for the shoot. I am in Smithtown (LIE exit 56/57). you city folk could halve the distance on Friday night, sleep over (I have tons of room), and get a nice jump start on the drive out. lemme know.

besides, I gotta show Nicky how to break down and clean all those Mausers and Mauser clones he bought.  ;)

bravo juliet mike

We might be able to get into Pine Barrens range. Link:http://www.lipsa.us/

sgtrock

kDan, thanks for the words of confidence, I'll do my best,
        Those places you guys speak of, Pine Barrens, Brookhaven, Those signs I saw on 495 correct? Let me know if you need help at those places, I always like to check out other ranges to see how they set everything up,,There are alot of good ideas out there, I assume they are public ranges, being with signs on interstates hwy's and all.

Josey Wales

..I called Brookhaven in September and they said they were not interested in hosting a shoot.  I would not discourage anyone or myself from asking again, because mabey they will change their minds.. Also Nassau I called and they said yes but with a large fee attached.  For a room with 5 shooters $200.00 a day split, plus for the break room a fee. I told him we were a 501c3 but no luck, so a shooter would have to pay $50 a day more to shoot a AS at Nassau. A weekend is $100 more plus the Appleseed fee $75, plus ammo and whatever else, will people pay that?..
..Way to go AS on another great NY weekend...JW...........
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

kDan

Quote from: Josey Wales on January 03, 2010, 09:14:49 PM
..I called Brookhaven in September and they said they were not interested in hosting a shoot.  I would not discourage anyone or myself from asking again, because mabey they will change their minds.. Also Nassau I called and they said yes but with a large fee attached.  For a room with 5 shooters $200.00 a day split, plus for the break room a fee. I told him we were a 501c3 but no luck, so a shooter would have to pay $50 a day more to shoot a AS at Nassau. A weekend is $100 more plus the Appleseed fee $75, plus ammo and whatever else, will people pay that?..
..Way to go AS on another great NY weekend...JW...........

I think some NYer's would indeed pay for this.  Under-served as shooters, but perhaps better compensated than many other Americans.  Let's have a go at it.  I'd be happy to SB an event for 5 shooters this motivated.  Perhaps we can get a private range deal out of it somehow.  Somebody on Long Island has got to have some land somewhere.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

ChrisO

Me and my dad had an excellent time at this event. It was so much more than we had expected and I still can't believe how much I learned (and how little I knew). We're both looking forward to the next event and I have a few friends that will be attending too.

I just picked up another 10/22 that I'm turning into an LTR. I really want to score a 210+ with iron sights now!

Thanks again to all the instructors for teaching us how to shoot and also for the kind words and encouragement. I'm extremely proud to have earned that Rifleman patch and am looking forward to being part of AS in the future.

kDan

Chris,

Sounds like you're on the trail.  I can think of no better success for Appleseed than to bring fine young folks like yourself into the fold.  I look forward to seeing you on the line next time, and I hope you manage to fill the line with your friends.

Keep an eye out for a possible event in March, and certainly be there for April 17, 18.

And thanks to you and your dad for bringing doing the lunch run.  That was a huge thing.

kDan
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

ChrisO

I'll be sure to keep an eye on the schedule. I currently have two friends who will be coming to the next event and working on another.